IGNORED

Erika Shupe *leer smirk* Large Families on Purpose Part 6

Boogalou

3 hours ago, umsami said:

I remember Kate Gosselin putting all of her kids on the laundry room floor when sick.  Didn't know it was a Shupe thing, too.

In my experience it was a germophobia thing.  Anytime one of us got sick, my ex husband went into full on control freak quarantine mode.  Nothing he did was about making others comfortable.  It was about containing illness and (most importantly) protecting himself from it.  It drove me absolutely batshit crazy.  

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

In my experience it was a germophobia thing.  Anytime one of us got sick, my ex husband went into full on control freak quarantine mode.  Nothing he did was about making others comfortable.  It was about containing illness and (most importantly) protecting himself from it.  It drove me absolutely batshit crazy.  

Yeah, it's a germaphobe thing. I understand the desire to frequently disinfect stuff like bathrooms when people are sick. But first priority should be getting the sick people settled and comfortable!

Flu season is yet another reason not to have eleventy kids packed into tight quarters with few bathrooms. It's the sort of home setup that'd really benefit from everybody able to having the flu shot... :pb_rollseyes:

The kids got free ice cream cones at Dairy Queen. Erika recommends mechanical pencils with 1.3mm leads so they don't break easily. She also posted a photo of the youngest four doing homeschool with Karen in the background baking bread.

Wonder what the next repost will be.

6 hours ago, December said:

Flu season is yet another reason not to have eleventy kids packed into tight quarters with few bathrooms. It's the sort of home setup that'd really benefit from everybody able to having the flu shot... :pb_rollseyes:

Sorry, but one of my pet peeves- the influenza (flu) vaccine is for a respiratory virus. It does nothing to protect against noro or enteroviruses aka the stomach flu. 

I admit to germaphobic tendencies but I would never leave my kid on the bathroom floor when they have a stomach bug. The couch is stripped of the back pillows and the other pillows covered in plastic bags and then many layers of plastic sheets, blankets and regular sheets to ease cleaning and buckets are out and the child instructed that any feeling they want to puke should lead to a run to the bucket or any bathroom. Toys are limited to avoid me having to disinfect everything but there are definitely things to play with and she can watch TV or use her tablet (later disinfected). I do fall into full anxiety mood myself but her comfort is very important too. If she is sad we hug but no kisses until 48 hours has passed after she last had any symptoms. I clean bathrooms and the rest of the house as much as I possibly can and I use bleach in the bathrooms at least twice. I am planning to buy a steam cleaner to make it easier and involve less chemicals but I haven't yet been able too.

13 hours ago, December said:

Yeah, it's a germaphobe thing. I understand the desire to frequently disinfect stuff like bathrooms when people are sick. But first priority should be getting the sick people settled and comfortable!

One of my brothers has been battling leukemia.  His doctors told everyone this last year to NOT, absolutely not, get the flu shot.  It's a shot of speculation, and was wildly ineffective and was a live virus.  It's a hit and miss shot.

As my coworker said - the free cone is always the most expensive one she has ach year because she always donates more than the cost of the cone to the Children's Miracle Network.

(Reader from her Facebook page)

Yeah, crickets on that from Ericka.  Dollars to donuts, she doesn't give a rat's ass about Children's Miracle Network.  She's just there for 11eleventy11 free ice-creams :pb_rollseyes:

5 hours ago, Jingerbread said:

One of my brothers has been battling leukemia.  His doctors told everyone this last year to NOT, absolutely not, get the flu shot.  It's a shot of speculation, and was wildly ineffective and was a live virus.  It's a hit and miss shot.

Only the nasal flu vaccine is a live vaccine and is contraindicated for people who are immunocompromised or will be around somebody who is immunocompromised.    The shot is not a live vaccine.  I'm surprised that an oncologist would not recommend that family members get the flu shot, as should one of you get sick, you are putting your brother at increased risk.   Yes, it is an educated guess regarding the strains, but it still helps protect your brother. 

On 3/8/2016 at 3:54 PM, AliceInFundyland said:

My atheist father tried hard to prevent Easter. However, he had a daugher with an inherent love of bunnies. I didn't actually get my Morris until I was 16 but every Easter I usually got a rabbit figurine. And cadbury mini eggs. I love those.  This year my best friend and I have been invited to an overnight easter led egg hunt that will be conducted while on hallucinogenic chocolate shroom eggs. It's probably going to rain, but it will be an adventure. I don't think Erika could conceive of such a thing.

A couple of years ago 4/20 was Easter and I went to a party that included an adult Easter egg hunt. Plastic eggs full of weed. 

1 hour ago, umsami said:

Only the nasal flu vaccine is a live vaccine and is contraindicated for people who are immunocompromised or will be around somebody who is immunocompromised.    The shot is not a live vaccine.  I'm surprised that an oncologist would not recommend that family members get the flu shot, as should one of you get sick, you are putting your brother at increased risk.   Yes, it is an educated guess regarding the strains, but it still helps protect your brother.

The Mister and I both got flu shots this year based on the recommendation of his endocrinologist. He's a brittle type 1 diabetic and the flu (or any illness) can throw his blood sugars way out of control. The only immunizations contraindicated for immunocompromised patients or family are live virus immunizations. 

My uncle died after getting the flu after leukemia chemo. His immune system couldn't fight off the virus and it killed him. 

7 hours ago, Jingerbread said:

This shocks me because my dad's oncologist told him to not be around anyone who has NOT had the flu shot.

7 hours ago, Jingerbread said:

Oh yeah, nothing's perfect and it totally depends on your individual needs and medical recommendations. For instance, a family member of mine was undergoing cancer treatment and it was recommended everyone in the house have the flu shot. 

Also, I wish your brother the best in his treatment! 

13 hours ago, Snarkylark said:

Sorry, but one of my pet peeves- the influenza (flu) vaccine is for a respiratory virus. It does nothing to protect against noro or enteroviruses aka the stomach flu. 

Interesting, I didn't know that! No need to apologize, learning is good. :) My underlying point was more how any bug would spread easily in tight quarters with that many kids, and I'd hope people would take any medically recommended precautions. 

I am confused. Why are the Shupe kids wearing summer clothes in the Dairy Queen picture? I don't think it's that warm in the PNW right now, is it?

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

I am confused. Why are the Shupe kids wearing summer clothes in the Dairy Queen picture? I don't think it's that warm in the PNW right now, is it?

Warm enough for short sleeves and a jacket or sweater. I only see 2 in short sleeves though, maybe they are warm blooded. I have a couple kids who never wear "winter" clothes. 

1 hour ago, Anonymousguest said:

Warm enough for short sleeves and a jacket or sweater. I only see 2 in short sleeves though, maybe they are warm blooded. I have a couple kids who never wear "winter" clothes. 

Only a couple wear short sleeves, but almost all of them are wearing shorts or skirts with no leggings/tights underneath. Odd.

37 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Only a couple wear short sleeves, but almost all of them are wearing shorts or skirts with no leggings/tights underneath. Odd.

It's warmer today than yesterday, and slightly warmer where I am than they are but it's 57 right now. I'm wearing flip flops and a tank top with a long sleeve t-shirt cardigan and jeggings, and my littlest daughter is wearing a long sleeve dress and panties while we are out and about. It's not cold here. 

5 hours ago, EmiGirl said:

This shocks me because my dad's oncologist told him to not be around anyone who has NOT had the flu shot.

Yes, my Dad's oncologist too.

3 hours ago, JillyO said:

I'm a NW native and I find it strange. However, I'm in the minority. It's not uncommon to see people walking in the rain in flip-flops in the NW, so I'm not surprised. :)

1 hour ago, iweartanktops said:

I'm a NW native and I find it strange. However, I'm in the minority. It's not uncommon to see people walking in the rain in flip-flops in the NW, so I'm not surprised. :)

I knew I had fully transplanted when I wore keens and shorts and a fleece sweatshirt. :pb_biggrin:

Yep, that's the uniform. 

My daughter darted out the door tonight in a tank top and shorts. Of course, she is 16. Even so, when she passed by I had to tell her she was being ridiculous in order to pacify my good-mother-conscience. But, then, the sun was actually out today, for what-3 hours? 

11 hours ago, umsami said:

We were told no one get it.  Same docs also say don't have him around anyone at all who hasn't had every single vaccine, including Gardasil (is he expected to sex up someone?), even if they medically can't get them.  So no flu shot was a surprise, and backed up by his other docs.  His docs are at one of the top hospitals in the nation.

I live in Ireland. It's fricken freezing till at least May. Please stop talking about wearing short sleeves and shorts in March or (imagine Liam Neeson's voice for this bit...) I will hunt you down, I will find you and I will kill you.

:tw_angry:

15 minutes ago, IrishCarrie said:

I live in Ireland. It's fricken freezing till at least May. Please stop talking about wearing short sleeves and shorts in March or (imagine Liam Neeson's voice for this bit...) I will hunt you down, I will find you and I will kill you.

:tw_angry:

I live in Northern Sweden, I  have experienced snow in June... Right now we all wear winter coats and usually will until some time in April. Then it is thinner jackets and when the streets are not full of puddles of water from from melting snow you can wear sneakers. Shorts can sometimes be worn in May if we get a hot spring but usually it is more like like late June. July is usually hot, just as hot as Ireland or warmer but our summer is really short. Of course, we don't have nights in summer so crops grow much better than expected due to 24 h of sunlight. 

It is nice and sunny today, enough for short sleeves and hanging the washing out to dry.....two weeks ago it was snowing

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived