IGNORED

Any fundie names you actually like?

Iokaste

"Chryateeve" names of course aren't limited to fundie spawn, but some of them have come up with some pretty unusual monikers for their blessings. 
So just for fun: Which are your favourites?
Any hidden guilty affection for Spurgeon, Sauntina, Jinger, Charissa,  Alatheia, Jevenn, Jodavid or little Davia? 
Come on, you can say it, we're all friends here ;-) 

I'll go first. "Nurie" (crownprincess of the Rodriguii RV) has really grown on me, not that I'd ever use it for a child, but I actually do really like the name, even if sharing taste with Queen JIll in anything really bugs me :my_confused:

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty conservative when it comes to names. For me, that means using a name I've heard before and a spelling I've seen before. 

I had a friend named Kimberly in college. When she moved across the country, I used to write her. When cre8ve naming came into vogue, I'd address letters to "Kimberlee, Kimberleigh, Kymberly".... etc. Etc. etc.  And don't even get me started on Caitlyn and all its permutations.

So no. Of course, since I'm Roman Catholic, that might have something to do with it. I have read so many "Lives of the Saints" stories, and I LIKE the names, and used them on the Four. (Yes, each one has a saint's name. or two)

Yes, I like Davia. But I don't really consider that a 'fundie name' just a name that fundies happened to use. I also like crazy out there Biblical and virtue names, but would never actually use them on a child. I've noticed a lot of people think Israel is a weird name, but it seems normal to me. 

Edit: I also like Calia.

I think Alatheia and Agape are really pretty, but I also tend to like a lot of Ancient Greek names, like Berenike, Eurydike, Eirene and Arsinoe. None of those are names I'd personally use, though, because they are so unusual and people will likely mispronounce them. 

Just now, anjulibai said:

I think Alatheia and Agape are really pretty, but I also tend to like a lot of Ancient Greek names, like Berenike, Eurydike, Eirene and Arsinoe. None of those are names I'd personally use, though, because they are so unusual and people will likely mispronounce them. 

To add to this, I'm usually not big on naming schemes a la the ABC girls or all Js, but (as much as I detest Shrader...) I find their naming their daughters with an Ancient Greek theme to be nice.

Come to think of it, isn't "Nurie" an Irish name? How did the Rodruigii find it?

1 minute ago, ViolaSebastian said:

To add to this, I'm usually not big on naming schemes a la the ABC girls or all Js, but (as much as I detest Shrader...) I find their naming their daughters with an Ancient Greek theme to be nice.

Yeah, it's a decent theme as themes go. They don't all sound a like, and it's not an obvious theme unless you are really familiar with slightly more esoteric Christian theology. Heck, Sophia is actually a fairly popular name these days. 

Actually, Eirene might be a good choice for a future Schrader name. There were a number of early Christian martyrs with that name. 

4 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Come to think of it, isn't "Nurie" an Irish name? How did the Rodruigii find it?

Most places consider Nurie an alternate spelling of Nuri, which is of Arabic (or possibly Hebrew) origin, meaning "light" or "fire".  No idea where the Rods found it.

As for me, the name that has grown on me is Michael (for a girl).

Some of Jill Rod's names for her kids are nice like Olivia. Nurie is pretty the way they pronounce it but when I read it, I just read it as "Nury" which isn't so nice. They pronounce it like "Marie" with an 'N." I think. 

9 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Some of Jill Rod's names for her kids are nice like Olivia. Nurie is pretty the way they pronounce it but when I read it, I just read it as "Nury" which isn't so nice. They pronounce it like "Marie" with an 'N." I think. 

That's what I thought till I heard them pronounce it, that it was "Nury", like Spanish "Nuria", which has a really harsh sound to me, like a mean old aunt that pinches your cheeks.
Nurie with the "French" ending, like Marie, to me is cute the same way Katie is cute, cute but not silly :-)  

10 minutes ago, Iokaste said:

That's what I thought till I heard them pronounce it, that it was "Nury", like Spanish "Nuria", which has a really harsh sound to me, like a mean old aunt that pinches your cheeks.
Nurie with the "French" ending, like Marie, to me is cute the same way Katie is cute, cute but not silly :-)  

Yes, I think they should have spelled it "Narie" for clarity or just gone with Marie. 

You think Charissa is an odd fundie name? Huh. It was popular in the early to mid 90s. I know several Charissas (Karissa, Carissa) who are now between 18-25. Not all of then are even Christians, much less fundie. Ch is the original spelling, so I technically the C and K changes are the creative ones. 

Nuria is a Spanish shrine to Mary, right? It sends more Catholic to me because of that. 

I am a big fan of traditional names with traditional spellings.  

That said, I like the name Jinger.  I would have spelled it with a G, but if I ever get a female Golden Retriever, that's totally what I am naming her.  

I am also a big fan of the names Elizabeth and Grace.  Not sure if those are "fundie" names, but I really like both of them.

For boys I like the names Matthew and Jude.

I know plenty of fundies that didn't name their kids either obviously Biblical names or trendy modern ones.  Just more run-of-the-mill choices, nothing to distinguish them from anyone else in a public school classroom.

I do like plenty of Biblical names which just sound respectable/classical/strong to me: Mark, Daniel, Rebecca, Rachel, Sarah, Philip, Noah.  Can't get behind Obadiah or Methusaleh or Solomon, but I think that's mostly cultural.

Also, if you were determined to name your child after a theologian/reformer, why wouldn't you go with a Knox or a Calvin or a Wesley? (Side note: Wesley...the next boy name to become a girl's name, I'm calling it now.)  

59 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

I like Miriam like Zsu's Miriam. However, I prefer the German pronunciation. 

I like the names Erin Elise as well.

What is the German pronunciation? I used to speak German quite well, but for some reason I can't imagine how to say "Miriam". (I do remember being taken with the German pronunciation of "Claudia" -- sounded like "Cloud - y - a" and was charmingly different to my ears.)

I love the name Zoe (even though I don't know how to put the two dots over the "e"), which means "life" in Greek. I don't care for "Zoey" however.

12 minutes ago, refugee said:

love the name Zoe (even though I don't know how to put the two dots over the "e")

On a Mac, Option-u and then the letter. It's called an umlaut.

Zoë

35 minutes ago, happy atheist said:

On a Mac, Option-u and then the letter. It's called an umlaut.

Zoë

Funny me, I'm so concrete, I know it's an umlaut when it's over an a, o, or u (which occurs frequently in German). Never thought about it being called that over an "e" though.

I didn't know Greek had umlauts -- and even after taking a college semester of Greek, I don't remember that ë, actually (I mean, I don't remember writing any words having it, in Greek class)... but that's how I've seen the name written. So don't know if it's a Greek thing, or a fundie thing.

1 hour ago, refugee said:

What is the German pronunciation? I used to speak German quite well, but for some reason I can't imagine how to say "Miriam". (I do remember being taken with the German pronunciation of "Claudia" -- sounded like "Cloud - y - a" and was charmingly different to my ears.)

I love the name Zoe (even though I don't know how to put the two dots over the "e"), which means "life" in Greek. I don't care for "Zoey" however.

German pronunciation of Miriam: http://de.forvo.com/word/de/miriam/

12 minutes ago, refugee said:

Funny me, I'm so concrete, I know it's an umlaut when it's over an a, o, or u (which occurs frequently in German). Never thought about it being called that over an "e" though.

I didn't know Greek had umlauts -- and even after taking a college semester of Greek, I don't remember that ë, actually (I mean, I don't remember writing any words having it, in Greek class)... but that's how I've seen the name written. So don't know if it's a Greek thing, or a fundie thing.

Over an e it's often called diaeresis, but umlaut is correct too.

I like some of the Bates choices of names Callie and Ellie are lovely names, The Bates grandchildren have nice names as well compared  to the Duggar grand kids, Josh and Anna did the best naming wise. I would like Mackenzie if Josh and Anna had spelt it correctly and Micheal, Marcus and Meredith are nice enough names, I probably won't use them but still nice names

Archived