IGNORED

Any fundie names you actually like?

Iokaste

1 hour ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I know everyone says that Callie is a nickname, but I am not sure what it's a nickname for.  THere's a TV character from one of the CSI shows that's named Callie and she's a forensic scientist, so definitely a (fictional) woman who was successful in life.

That said, Callie Bates' full name is Callie Anna Rose, and I LOVE that combination (the initials spell out 'carb' but that will change at marriage).  

I've heard Callie as a nickname for for Callista, Caroline and Colleen. 

Also, fictional character is fictional. There really is a lot of research about how names inpact success in life. 

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Anonymousguest said:

I agree @anjulibai and @Georgiana

I gave all my kids names that would look good on a letter head. A few do have a shortened nick name, but they have that option of having a professional sounding name. Including the girls. I specifically didn't pick names for the girls that were too...frou-frou. 

I did that with my son, and will with my second child, boy or girl. Now, we don't call my son by a nickname, but it is one that he has the option of choosing from a variety of nicknames when he gets older. The same will be true for my next child.

I also think it's important to give children options with their names. If you give children nicknames as their official name, they don't have a lot of options later on outside of totally changing their name. 

For example, an Ellie doesn't have a lot of options if she hates her name, but Elizabeth who hates being called Ellie can later choose to go as Liz, Lizzie, Eliza, Liza, Beth, Betty, Betsy, etc., or even just Elizabeth. 

You're kid is stuck with their name for a long time, potentially for life, so I really think it's important to think through how that name is going to affect them. 

This isn't about a name I like, it's one of the crazy ones, but this is the most on-topic place to post it --

I JUST REALIZED that Heistheway is a girl. Which makes it EVEN CRAZIER.

23 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Also, fictional character is fictional. There really is a lot of research about how names inpact success in life. 

I've heard Callie as a nickname for Calista, but also for Calliope and Calliandra (which is really unusual, but I know one named after the flower who goes by Callie).

7 hours ago, tumblr said:

I don't know if it counts as fundie but I love the ridiculously creative names Mormons come up with and there are a couple I have heard that I would maybe even use on my own kids.

I love Erin for a girl, there are a couple names that fundies use for their biblical roots that I like for other reasons like Abigail, Hannah, Rebekah, Thomas, Matthew, Mark and Peter. 

If I ever name a child it will definitely have a name that will be called creative, and I know that people hate that and I am part of the problem but growing up I always felt like my first name had no personality so I feel the need to give my child a name with a lot of personality. 

Eh, as a person with a highly unusual name (never met another one) I've decided that you have two options for naming your kiddos.

1. Give them a name that everyone can spell and pronounce, sit back, enjoy all the the correct spelling and correct pronunciation in your life.

2. Give them a Kreatyve name and forever spell and pronounce it for people.  

They are each exactly as valid as the other.  It's important IMHO to give your child a name that speaks to you and that you love.  You just can't get all hopped up (not you, personally; the general "you") when you have to spell and pronounce it for people.  THAT bidness drives me bugnuts.  People who matter will figure it out, and no one else matters!!!  I'll answer to any relatively close approximation of my name, and spell/pronounce it 100 times a day (sometimes this isn't just hyperbole) because I really really like my name!  The people I love, and who are important in my life, totally get it right after a couple of tries.  And we all live happily ever after. :)  

Solidarity fistbump to your future rugrats!  

4 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I love the names Salome and Magdalene.  I also like Zipporah.  I'm happy they don't seem to be popular with the fundie set.

I really love all of those!  Salomé and Magdelene were frontrunner when we were naming our spawn.  We have a truly lovely young lady in our homeskool co-op name Salome...except she pronounces it Sah-LOAM.  Makes me sad, especially since she is such an awesome kid.  Guess I can't have everything!  ;-)

4 hours ago, anjulibai said:

You are right that there is probably an assumption among fundies that girls won't have need of any more formal of a name, but I see this trend among non-fundies, too. I think a lot of people think about naming a baby, but not about naming an adult. 

So, we have some wonderful friends, who could totally be considered fundy-lite.  The husband-half STRONGLY (like all-caps strongly!) believes that it's silly to give girls a middle name.  He's convinced that when they get married, they are supposed to make their maiden name their new middle name, and take their hubs name.  Is this a thing that anyone else has heard of?  

(I'm on of those women, and kept my name.  He still speaks likes me, but it baffles him.)

I have a fairly common name which has multiple spellings. My parents chose the traditional spelling, but the traditional spelling has become less common, so people have been spelling my name wrong since I was born. People spell it wrong when it's right in front of them. People who have known me for years spell it wrong. How does this impact my life? Honestly - it doesn't, at all.

I've heard of women making their maiden name their middle name after marriage, but I've never actually met a woman or even known of a specific woman who actually did that. 

2 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I've heard of women making their maiden name their middle name after marriage, but I've never actually met a woman or even known of a specific woman who actually did that. 

My mom did it.  Her parents gave her a middle name, but about 15 years into her marriage, she dropped her middle name and replaced it with her maiden name.  Having said that, I'm not sure I know anyone else that's done that.  

39 minutes ago, Rubaiyat said:

Eh, as a person with a highly unusual name (never met another one) I've decided that you have two options for naming your kiddos.

1. Give them a name that everyone can spell and pronounce, sit back, enjoy all the the correct spelling and correct pronunciation in your life.

2. Give them a Kreatyve name and forever spell and pronounce it for people.  

They are each exactly as valid as the other.  It's important IMHO to give your child a name that speaks to you and that you love.  You just can't get all hopped up (not you, personally; the general "you") when you have to spell and pronounce it for people.  THAT bidness drives me bugnuts.  People who matter will figure it out, and no one else matters!!!  I'll answer to any relatively close approximation of my name, and spell/pronounce it 100 times a day (sometimes this isn't just hyperbole) because I really really like my name!  The people I love, and who are important in my life, totally get it right after a couple of tries.  And we all live happily ever after. :)  

Solidarity fistbump to your future rugrats!  

I really love all of those!  Salomé and Magdelene were frontrunner when we were naming our spawn.  We have a truly lovely young lady in our homeskool co-op name Salome...except she pronounces it Sah-LOAM.  Makes me sad, especially since she is such an awesome kid.  Guess I can't have everything!  ;-)

So, we have some wonderful friends, who could totally be considered fundy-lite.  The husband-half STRONGLY (like all-caps strongly!) believes that it's silly to give girls a middle name.  He's convinced that when they get married, they are supposed to make their maiden name their new middle name, and take their hubs name.  Is this a thing that anyone else has heard of?  

(I'm on of those women, and kept my name.  He still speaks likes me, but it baffles him.)

I have a friend who changed her middle name to her maiden name when she got married. She insists that women are REQUIRED to do that. No idea where she got that idea. Her oldest daughter was given her former middle name as a first name because she is "sad" that she had to give the name up. At the time that she got married, another friend and I kept trying to explain to her that she was not required to do anything name wise just because she was getting married, but she insisted we had no idea what we were talking about. 

Females going by First name -Maiden name-Married name after marriage was pretty much the status quo until a few years ago 'round these parts. (NC,SC,GA, TN.) Every single married female on both sides of my family has done this, as well as every woman I knew growing up. When I entered into a hasty marriage at the ripe old age of 18 in 1999, I was the first woman on either side of the family to retain my middle name and drop the maiden name entirely. 

Secret fundy name crushes:

* Maranatha (it's just fun to say, and pretty in an old-world way)

* Alexandria (I enjoy mocking the last-name-as-first-name trend immensely, but this is one name that I like for its own sake)

* Zsuzsanna (Horrid twisted creature of a woman, but undeniably cool spelling of an otherwise common name)

* Xavier (I'm a fan of a lot of Saint names, but this one isn't super common among my pet Catholic mommy blogs)

* Adeline (Again with the old-world charm, plus this is a legit family name for me)

Actually, several Mortons and Morton-spawn have names that I love. In addition to Alexandria and Addie, there's Edwin, Ariana, and Isabella.

Plus I like several of the Rodriguii names: Tessie, Victor (Gabriel's middle name) and Julianne (one of Sofia's middle names).

OK, we've named our CatChildren in interesting fashions. (Ask me about "Gargoyle" sometime!)

But if you have human kids who really need to interact in your bigger society (USA based here), it seems like a good idea, IMNSHO, to give them a name that is interesting but not TOO weird. (I.e., if a job applicant looks at the name and says "that MUST be a typo", you may have flunked.)

Personal preferences: "Grace" and "Faith" for girls. For boys (and my awful heretical leanings are coming out here): I'd cheerfully vote for Thomas (More): what's not to like? A strong, capable, honorable, honest man who taught his daughters as well as his sons, who stood up against a ruler in support of his faith, and who went to the executioner's block saying "I die the King's good servant---but God's, first". Or Dirk Willems, even if you are not Amish.

7 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I love the names Salome and Magdalene.

I love the name Magdalena.

I just wish i could get my husband on board with it

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I have a fairly common name which has multiple spellings. My parents chose the traditional spelling, but the traditional spelling has become less common, so people have been spelling my name wrong since I was born. People spell it wrong when it's right in front of them. People who have known me for years spell it wrong. How does this impact my life? Honestly - it doesn't, at all.

My maiden name is my legal middle name, it's what is on my SS card.  I had never heard of anyone doing it differently, nearly 30yrs ago in the deep south. However I never really dropped my middle name, I still think of it as my middle name, if you were to ask me my middle name that's what I would say. 

15 hours ago,  nickelodeon said: 

I love Aletheia, but not the Darth Schrader "Alatheia" misspelling.

Aletheia is great because, besides sounding and looking beautiful, it is Greek for 'truth' so it has a significant meaning too. 

------------------------

Typical of fundies, once again the Schraders don't quite have the truth down.  

I like many of the Bates and Duggar names Erin, Alyssa, Callie, Ellie and Allie. Jordyn, Johannah, and Jana. I love all forms of Michel, Michael, Michaela and Michaella. And Meredith too. The name that throws me the most (well except for Baby Seewall) is Josie and that's only because every Josie I've ever known it was short for Josephine. I have a hard time remembering their names are just Josie.

4 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

* Alexandria (I enjoy mocking the last-name-as-first-name trend immensely, but this is one name that I like for its own sake)

You count Alexandria as a last name? Never heard that before. 
Alexandria to me is the prettier and more refined version of Alexandra. 

It's really interesting to see how some names seem to appeal to people across cultures, and some seem to have a better ring to Americans. I'm surprised how many seem to likee Carlin, which to me sounds affected and silly.

I'm with who ever said that Wesley is the next trend name for girls, along with Wellesley. 

I'm sure my kids names would end up on a "You named your kid what?!"-list on FJ, has I been fundie, Prudence and Gertrude are my top-picks these days :my_biggrin:   

In some fundie context I saw the name Arrow. I quite like that. 

I like many classical biblical names like Miriam (or Mirijam as some spell it in my country), Ruth (Sw. spelling Rut), Solomon, Seth, Isaac (Isak) and so on. My grandfather's family had some more unusual biblical names (at least in my country) which I like too: Efraim, Immanuel and Gideon. I am a bit sad my cousin already named his son Gideon because I really like that name. As they are not that many years apart my (still in belly) son would have to be "little Gideon" if I used that name and I don't want that. Right now my favorite  is Elias for the little one. 

41 minutes ago, Iokaste said:

You count Alexandria as a last name? Never heard that before. 
Alexandria to me is the prettier and more refined version of Alexandra. 

It's really interesting to see how some names seem to appeal to people across cultures, and some seem to have a better ring to Americans. I'm surprised how many seem to likee Carlin, which to me sounds affected and silly.

I'm with who ever said that Wesley is the next trend name for girls, along with Wellesley. 

I'm sure my kids names would end up on a "You named your kid what?!"-list on FJ, has I been fundie, Prudence and Gertrude are my top-picks these days :my_biggrin:   

Alexandria Lee Alexander is the daughter of Tayte and Martha (Morton) Alexander. Martha and Tayte have joined the ranks of a few other fundy families recently who have named daughters after their fathers (Davia Waller, daughter of David Waller), or after their father's family name (including Abby Absher). In Martha's defense, she announced immediately that the baby would be called "Zandry" as a nickname, but the pertinent part is that the child is going to carry a slightly modified form of her father's last name as a first name for the rest of her life. Not that it's inherently bad to do that (and I do like the name on its own), but given the "women and children are property" element of fundy culture, it's just another reminder of the chain of ownership.

I tend to prefer girls' names to boy's names.  I think Anglicized biblical and new testament names are gorgeous, so the Andersons, Kellers, Lockwoods, Maxwells, and what I remember of the Muncks all have great names in my opinion - Abigail, Anna, Elizabeth, Esther, Lydia, Miriam, Martha, Mary, Priscilla, Rebecca, Sarah, Susanna.

I don't love nicknames as full names a la Duggars/Bateses - Ellie, Callie, Allie, Josie, and even Jill (who I think should have been named Jillian).  I like a lot of the Duggars' middle names and think some of them would have been better off named Marie, David, Lauren, Nicole, Garrett, Matthew, Anna, Michael, Andrew, Samuel, Levi..... etc. etc.  I think it would have made them seem more individual.  But I don't like Makiya or Brooklyn.

Incidentally, is Jana pronounced Jan-a, or Jane-a?  I know a Jana who is Jane-a, but the couple of clips I've watched of the Duggars seem to pronounce it Jan-a, though I'm not totally sure what with accents and all.

I've met a Karlin, so Carlin doesn't seem weird to me - I think it might be a form of Caroline?

I knew a girl named Alystra (pronounced Ah-liss-tra) who went by Aly (Allee.) I always thought Alystra was so lovely I wouldn't bother to shorten it, but she disliked the formality she heard in it.

4 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

Alexandria Lee Alexander is the daughter of Tayte and Martha (Morton) Alexander. Martha and Tayte have joined the ranks of a few other fundy families recently who have named daughters after their fathers (Davia Waller, daughter of David Waller), or after their father's family name (including Abby Absher). In Martha's defense, she announced immediately that the baby would be called "Zandry" as a nickname, but the pertinent part is that the child is going to carry a slightly modified form of her father's last name as a first name for the rest of her life. Not that it's inherently bad to do that (and I do like the name on its own), but given the "women and children are property" element of fundy culture, it's just another reminder of the chain of ownership.

Seriously? That is terrible! In the south in the early 90s (I don't actually know if it was distinct to that time period, that's just when I was there working in a preschool) it was very common for sons to get some form of their mothers maiden name as their first name. I saw Garrett, Ford, Davis, Brooks, Johnson, Winslet, Wemberly, Clarey.  Clarey was the son of a close friend, she had decided to name her son that before she was even married, but her husband hated it. I was really surprised he finally relented. They compromised on John Clarey lastname, but she always called him Clarey and it stuck. I kind of like that tradition, and it shows how last names become first names. But giving a child their last name as their first name is just awful and to me makes them look like they have a lower intelligence, in the same manner as the cre8ive spellings. 

11 hours ago, singsingsing said:

It's fairly common in the Mid Atlantic region as well. First time? I didn't. I hyphenated my name. NOT recommended when you have an 8 letter maiden name and a 7 letter married name and you sign your name 100 times a day, as RNs do.

Second time? I skipped the addition or deletion of a name. The only time I used HIS name was on my diplomas from college, which read: First name, Middle Initial, Maiden name, His name. I always sign my name First, Middle Initial, Maiden, and I like it that way.

13 hours ago, Rubaiyat said:

My mom did it.  Her parents gave her a middle name, but about 15 years into her marriage, she dropped her middle name and replaced it with her maiden name.  Having said that, I'm not sure I know anyone else that's done that.  

My mom dropped her middle name for her maiden name legally because at the time they wouldn't let her have two middle or last names. 

I am all for women keeping their last name in any way they choose personally, that said I can't wait to get rid of mine. No one gets it right and it causes a ton of grief. 

16 hours ago, anjulibai said:

I can see Callie as a nickname for Callista, Calliope, etc.

But (speaking from personal experience) I have heard every nickname for Caroline in the book and not once have I heard Callie.  Then again it could be a regional thing too.

7 hours ago, meee said:

I tend to prefer girls' names to boy's names.  I think Anglicized biblical and new testament names are gorgeous, so the Andersons, Kellers, Lockwoods, Maxwells, and what I remember of the Muncks all have great names in my opinion - Abigail, Anna, Elizabeth, Esther, Lydia, Miriam, Martha, Mary, Priscilla, Rebecca, Sarah, Susanna.

I don't love nicknames as full names a la Duggars/Bateses - Ellie, Callie, Allie, Josie, and even Jill (who I think should have been named Jillian).  I like a lot of the Duggars' middle names and think some of them would have been better off named Marie, David, Lauren, Nicole, Garrett, Matthew, Anna, Michael, Andrew, Samuel, Levi..... etc. etc.  I think it would have made them seem more individual.  But I don't like Makiya or Brooklyn.

Incidentally, is Jana pronounced Jan-a, or Jane-a?  I know a Jana who is Jane-a, but the couple of clips I've watched of the Duggars seem to pronounce it Jan-a, though I'm not totally sure what with accents and all.

I've met a Karlin, so Carlin doesn't seem weird to me - I think it might be a form of Caroline?

I think Jana is Jan (as in "sure, Jan")-a. I've heard it as Yah-na, but that was a lady from Croatia.

Also, I'm trying out Russian on Duolingo and I think it's kind of funny that in Cyrillic writing, Anna looks like "AH HA".

Archived