IGNORED

Any fundie names you actually like?

Iokaste

On 26/02/2016 at 9:41 AM, 19 cats and counting said:

Other than Spurgeon (the most WTF name ever), I think Warden Justice is another WTF name.  Each name on their own is okay (not my style) but together it's a little out there. 

Warden Justice makes me think of prisons and correctional officers. Almost like they were hoping he'd grow up to be a non-corrupt prison warden. Which I doubt, probably more like they want him to grow up to be a spiritual warden for God, telling sinners about his justified wrath. I think that's the worst Bates name.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Yes, TOTALLY said:

Warden Justice makes me think of prisons and correctional officers. Almost like they were hoping he'd grow up to be a non-corrupt prison warden. Which I doubt, probably more like they want him to grow up to be a spiritual warden for God, telling sinners about his justified wrath. I think that's the worst Bates name.

Yeah, I always thought Warden Justice was weird. Justice I kinda get since I'd expect that kind of name from a religious family, but Warden, nope.

I like, or at least am indifferent to, most of the names that our favorite fundies have given their kids, but I especially like Jessa and Erin's names. Jessa Lauren and Erin Elise just really flow for me.

On 2/26/2016 at 9:35 AM, habert said:

What is the problem with Michael's name?? It's been a pretty common go to "unisex" name for ages. I honestly don't understand the hate for her name on this site. 

Seriously? I have never heard of another female named Michael besides Michael Bates. Michal, yes, but not Michael.

I actually like the pronunciation of Michaela as Michael-a instead of the more common Mic-kayla, but I am unreasonably bothered by the name Michael for a Bates daughter because of the story behind it. One, if you're going to give your kid a fairly uncommon (at least in the US) biblical name, learn what the name means before giving it to her. Even in the early 90s it shouldn't have been that hard to find out who Michal was in the bible. Second, they decide they hate their child's name so much that they need to change it, but they can't afford to do it legally...yet these cash-strapped parents went on to have 17 more kids. Third, they probably decided on Michael as pronunciation because they think Michal is pronounced the same as Michael (we all know Jesus spoke the king's english). Fourth, once they start popping up on TV, they decided Michael needs a more appropriately feminine name and start going with Michaela or Michaella, but still can't decide which is the "right" spelling.

Kreaytivve names are definitely not limited to fundies, but things like Spurgeon, Heistheway, and Vision OYWEH certainly take the cake. There is a woman at my company whose name is apparently Maria-Maria, and she goes by that. Her email sig reads Maria-Maria Lastname. IDGI.

A bunch of you guys seem to just have beef with names that end in "y" or "ie." Which is strange. Anyway, according to your logic, my parents should have named me Amelia instead of Amy? 

2 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

A bunch of you guys seem to just have beef with names that end in "y" or "ie." Which is strange. Anyway, according to your logic, my parents should have named me Amelia instead of Amy? 

I personally don't. Maybe it depends on the name? Like if there was a name Polly and someone changed it to Pollie... I've seen Holly/Hollie and Molly/Mollie, but never Pollie. Or Sophie changed to Sophy, or whatever.

On 2/28/2016 at 6:24 PM, season of life said:

How do you guys feel about hyphenated first names? John-David sounds nice to my ears, but whenever I see Joy or Jordyn, I don't remember their second names (Anna and Grace). I like Callie-Anna Rose, but if I gave that name to my child, I'd probably end up calling her by Callie and forgetting she had two other names.

Hypenated first names are a pain in the ass.  Some forms allow the hyphen - some do not.  Some credit cards refuse to print the hyphen OR space the names so First-Name doesn't become First Name which would be bad enough...it becomes Firstnam because the last letter is cut off as it's too long and it's not even a freaking name that way.

Not that I have personal experience with this or anything.  

4 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

Amy isn't short for Amelia. It's actually a very old French name that means beloved. It was originally spelled Aimee. Some people use Amy as a nickname for Amelia or other Am beginning names, but that's not it's origin. 

I don't have a issues with y or ie names. I just don't like nicknames as formal names. Many nicknames for women just happen to end in y or ie or i. 

I feel the same about male names. I wouldn't name a son Mike or Bill or Jack, though I would use Michael, William or John, and then call them Mike, Bill or Jack. 

I fully own, too, that I'm a name snob. I've spent a lot of time researching name origins and naming conventions just for fun and I have definite opinions about naming. 

6 hours ago, slickcat79 said:

Seriously? I have never heard of another female named Michael besides Michael Bates. Michal, yes, but not Michael.

I actually like the pronunciation of Michaela as Michael-a instead of the more common Mic-kayla, but I am unreasonably bothered by the name Michael for a Bates daughter because of the story behind it. One, if you're going to give your kid a fairly uncommon (at least in the US) biblical name, learn what the name means before giving it to her. Even in the early 90s it shouldn't have been that hard to find out who Michal was in the bible. Second, they decide they hate their child's name so much that they need to change it, but they can't afford to do it legally...yet these cash-strapped parents went on to have 17 more kids. Third, they probably decided on Michael as pronunciation because they think Michal is pronounced the same as Michael (we all know Jesus spoke the king's english). Fourth, once they start popping up on TV, they decided Michael needs a more appropriately feminine name and start going with Michaela or Michaella, but still can't decide which is the "right" spelling.

Kreaytivve names are definitely not limited to fundies, but things like Spurgeon, Heistheway, and Vision OYWEH certainly take the cake. There is a woman at my company whose name is apparently Maria-Maria, and she goes by that. Her email sig reads Maria-Maria Lastname. IDGI.

In the US it's was consistently in the top 1000 baby names given to females from 1938 to 1994 with it's highest rank being #373 in 1975 (0.0357% of all female births that year, or 557 births). Some famous women include Michael Learned and Michael Michele. The history of the name Michael and it's roots is pretty consistent in either sound or spelling as unisex throughout cultures, history, and languages (Michel/Michele/Michelle/Michal/Mica/Micah/Mika/Makis on and on). 

A theory is to why Michael has fallen as a girls name in US is actually the rise of Michaela and the trend of hyper-feminine names in general. Michaela isn't even on the top 1000 in 1975. Michaela's first appearance was 1967 at #962, it's highest ranking year was 1997 at #100. For Michaella, it's never been in top 1000 in all 135 years.

Michal's only year as a female name was in 1942 at #856. Michal as a male name has had 8 different years, mostly in the fifties.

Not sure if it's been said, but Addallee. I love "A" names and it's just a fun one. Also agree with the person that said "Jessa Lauren" is a beautiful name.

Maybe this is a Canadian thing, but growing up it seemed like the only boys names allowed at our local hospital registrar's office were Michael, Christopher and Gordon. There were at least two of each in every grade when I was a kid. The number of Mikes, Chris' and Gords I met ... staggering. 

Heistheway cracks me up! It reminds me of Puritan naming styles of the 17th century. I found an article about some the real doozies: 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_vault/2013/09/13/puritan_names_lists_of_bizarre_religious_nomenclature_used_by_puritans.html

I fell in love with Jill and Derick's girl name they had picked out, Selah

Unfortunately my better half and I debate if it should be pronounced See-La or Say-La

I think it is Selah (Say-la), so my SO thinks we should spell it Salah or Sayla or some other variation so it isn't mispronounced but I think this takes away from its original meaning.

Opinions FJer's?

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 2:09 PM, Georgiana said:

My issue with using "nick names" as actual given names is that the individual never has a formal name and there are some settings where use of a traditionally informal name is odd.  My cousin goes by Ellie 99% of the time. Her parents have called her Ellie since birth and have always intended her to go by Ellie.  But there are times when she chooses to use Elizabeth, usually more formal occasions.  

It's like Jim Bob.  He doesn't have an issue with it, but my friend's dad (also named James Robert) is a well respected academic, professor emeritus at a well known university, an adviser to several federal committees, etc.  Yes we call him Jim at home, but most people don't want to use "Jim Bob" on a paper for a journal of economics. 

And it's usually girls too.  Names like Billy or Bobby or Joey are rarely used as male given names because it is assumed that boys will grow up to work and possibly be in settings where a formal name is necessary (generally positions of power).  I think that Callie and Ellie and Allie and Tori and Kimmie all work because by default no one thinks that these women will grow up to be announced on the senate floor or writing for academic journals.  

I mean, what are a few extra letters on a birth certificate going to hurt?  Then call them whatever you want.  

I identify with the bolded. I always thought my sister and I were given names under the presumption that we'd never grow up. Both our names are very often used "as-is" but are technically nicknames of more sophisticated (for lack of a better word) names.

I'm with Zsu on this one - don't criticize parents' names for their children even if it makes you gag at first. There've been countless times when the name grew on me.

I don't particularly like kry8tyv spellings of names, but cre'aytuv spellings are not limited to fundies.

Heistheway, on the other hand.... not sure that would grow on me. What if she decides later in life that he's not the way? If you want to make a statement, find a strong biblical character and use that.

10 hours ago, Cats B4 Quivers said:

Heistheway cracks me up! It reminds me of Puritan naming styles of the 17th century. I found an article about some the real doozies: 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_vault/2013/09/13/puritan_names_lists_of_bizarre_religious_nomenclature_used_by_puritans.html

I remember reading about If-Christ-Had-Not-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned Barebones(I believe he went by Damned Barebones).  At lest his brother got off(comparatively)easy with Praise-God Barebones.

11 hours ago, BunnyBee said:

Unfortunately my better half and I debate if it should be pronounced See-La or Say-La

I think it is Selah (Say-la), so my SO thinks we should spell it Salah or Sayla or some other variation so it isn't mispronounced but I think this takes away from its original meaning.

Opinions FJer's?

I've always heard it as Say-lah.

On February 24, 2016 at 11:31 AM, LilMissMetaphor said:

I know plenty of fundies that didn't name their kids either obviously Biblical names or trendy modern ones.  Just more run-of-the-mill choices, nothing to distinguish them from anyone else in a public school classroom.

I do like plenty of Biblical names which just sound respectable/classical/strong to me: Mark, Daniel, Rebecca, Rachel, Sarah, Philip, Noah.  Can't get behind Obadiah or Methusaleh or Solomon, but I think that's mostly cultural.

Also, if you were determined to name your child after a theologian/reformer, why wouldn't you go with a Knox or a Calvin or a Wesley? (Side note: Wesley...the next boy name to become a girl's name, I'm calling it now.)  

I went to high school with a Wesley. It suits her very well. She had a daughter a few years ago and named her Ashton to go with hers. I also know a girl Hunter. My name is Ashley. I love masculine names for girls.

On 2/24/2016 at 1:09 PM, Georgiana said:

My issue with using "nick names" as actual given names is that the individual never has a formal name and there are some settings where use of a traditionally informal name is odd.  My cousin goes by Ellie 99% of the time. Her parents have called her Ellie since birth and have always intended her to go by Ellie.  But there are times when she chooses to use Elizabeth, usually more formal occasions.  

It's like Jim Bob.  He doesn't have an issue with it, but my friend's dad (also named James Robert) is a well respected academic, professor emeritus at a well known university, an adviser to several federal committees, etc.  Yes we call him Jim at home, but most people don't want to use "Jim Bob" on a paper for a journal of economics. 

And it's usually girls too.  Names like Billy or Bobby or Joey are rarely used as male given names because it is assumed that boys will grow up to work and possibly be in settings where a formal name is necessary (generally positions of power).  I think that Callie and Ellie and Allie and Tori and Kimmie all work because by default no one thinks that these women will grow up to be announced on the senate floor or writing for academic journals.  

I mean, what are a few extra letters on a birth certificate going to hurt?  Then call them whatever you want.  

Yet the following women have been announced on the Senate floor in the current Congress in spite of going by what you would apparently consider an inappropriate not formal enough nickname: 

Joni Ernst (R-Iowa)

Debbie Stabenow (D-MI)

Deb Fischer (R-NE)

Patty Murray (D-WA)

Shelley Moore Capino (R-WV)

Tammy Baldwin (D-WI)

In addition, there are currently women serving in the Senate with the names Mazie, Kelly, Amy and Heidi.

I'm not sure that a nickname or a name you might consider "too cute" is a disqualification for election. It would appear not. Mind you, there are currently only 20 women in the Senate and six are on the "nickname" list. 

Some of the female senators have since dropped their childhood nicknames.  Kirsten Gillibrand used to be called Tina and then one day when she was interning at a court, the judge called her Kirsten and told her that nicknames don't look good in law.  Elizabeth Warren was known as Besty growing up.  I haven't heard Elizabeth Warren called anything but Elizabeth (not Liz, Beth, etc).  

Tammy Baldwin could very well be going by her legal name.  I know a Tammy who's legal name is that.

As far as nicknames.  I saw one of the Duggar girls wedding invitations and it said "Jim Bob" on it as opposed to James Robert.  I thought a wedding invitation was one where you would always use your formal name.  My sister's wedding invitation included her full name, as well as the full name of both of my parents (used my dad's rarely used first name).  

12 hours ago, BunnyBee said:

Opinions FJer's?

I have been saying it Sell-ah which doesn't appear to be even close to right... Oops. 

14 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Some of the female senators have since dropped their childhood nicknames.  Kirsten Gillibrand used to be called Tina and then one day when she was interning at a court, the judge called her Kirsten and told her that nicknames don't look good in law.  Elizabeth Warren was known as Besty growing up.  I haven't heard Elizabeth Warren called anything but Elizabeth (not Liz, Beth, etc).  

Tammy Baldwin could very well be going by her legal name.  I know a Tammy who's legal name is that.

As far as nicknames.  I saw one of the Duggar girls wedding invitations and it said "Jim Bob" on it as opposed to James Robert.  I thought a wedding invitation was one where you would always use your formal name.  My sister's wedding invitation included her full name, as well as the full name of both of my parents (used my dad's rarely used first name).  

The poster was criticizing people for using what she perceives as only nicknames as legal names, so I assume that she would object to any "Tammy" who is not actually named "Tamara". 

I have been criticized ( primarily by a Tamara who decided, after we'd all known her for 15 years, that she would no longer answer to "Tammy" and snaps at anyone who says it to her) for having a "childish" name. My first name is on the list of non-nicknames in the Senate that it seems some posters here object to and believe can't be taken seriously. As @ladyamylynn pointed out, some people here seem to have an issue with names that end in a y/ie sound, nicknames or not. 

To that I say, go explain to Nancy Pelosi, Hillary Clinton, Cory Booker, and many more, that their names mean they can't be taken seriously. Nancy, by the way, was originally a nickname for Ann. Yet somehow, Nancy Pelosi became the first female Speaker of the House in spite of that. 

Additionally, in the matter of using a nickname, the Vice President of the States goes by Joe. Apparently, no one told him that he couldn't be taken seriously and should become "Joseph". Ditto for Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, Mitch McConnell, Dick Durbin, Chuck Schumer and a whole bunch more in the current Senate where there are Jeffs, Toms, Bills, Chris's, a Johnny, Jims, Joes, Pats, etc...

And posters objecting to using nicknames rather than "formal names" have not cited any male examples. Apparently, you can be named "Jake" or "Joe" and taken seriously, but heaven forbid you be named "Tammy" because then you have a problem. 

Talk about ingrained misogyny in our culture. 

@louisa05 good point about Joe Biden.  Considering his predecessor also went by a nickname that in some ways is more offensive than Joe will ever be (its turned into slang for a male body part).  

Come to think of it, most of the vice presidents in my lifetime have gone by a nickname (Joe Biden, Dick Cheney, Al Gore, Dan Quayle).  Only one in my lifetime I can remember who did not was George Bush Sr.  

The Michael Bates name cluster F has always intrigued me. What does Brandon call her? I think if I was her, I'd go back to use the name "Michal" my original, intended name and stop the Michaela, Michaella, Michael non-sense. Or use the name "Sarah" and stop all the wackiness that her parents created. But that's just me. Gil and Kelly couldn't have gone with "Michelle" ? :my_confused: Like what the heck guys...

49 minutes ago, tumblr said:

I have been saying it Sell-ah which doesn't appear to be even close to right... Oops. 

Me too. SEL-a

Archived