IGNORED

Any fundie names you actually like?

Iokaste

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, refugee said:

Funny me, I'm so concrete, I know it's an umlaut when it's over an a, o, or u (which occurs frequently in German). Never thought about it being called that over an "e" though.

I didn't know Greek had umlauts -- and even after taking a college semester of Greek, I don't remember that ë, actually (I mean, I don't remember writing any words having it, in Greek class)... but that's how I've seen the name written. So don't know if it's a Greek thing, or a fundie thing.

Well, it doesn't.  Because Greek is written with it's own character set :)  Actually, English doesn't have them either!

However, they are often used in Western character sets when writing Greek/Chinese/other language words to indicate the vowel is pronounced a certain way (usually fronted) not the standard or not present in the English language.  When the shift is predictable to someone with a base of knowledge, however, they are usually dropped as that "shift" or "non-standard" indication is not necessary.  

So you were probably just told to pronounce the vowel a certain way and there was no need for additional indications.  "oe" will always be pronounced "oh-eh" in Greek, for example (no idea if that is true, just giving an example).  That's not the natural way most English speakers would read "oe", so if I am writing on the internet in English and I want to make sure you pronounce "Zoe" as "Zo-eh" and not "Zoh" or "Zo-ee", I would write it as "Zoë" to indicate that vowel shift.  

An interesting English example is Brontë.  Again, the ë is used to indicate a pronunciation of the letter e that defies general English written phonology. 

4 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

I like some of the Bates choices of names Callie and Ellie are lovely names, The Bates grandchildren have nice names as well compared  to the Duggar grand kids, Josh and Anna did the best naming wise. I would like Mackenzie if Josh and Anna had spelt it correctly and Micheal, Marcus and Meredith are nice enough names, I probably won't use them but still nice names

My issue with using "nick names" as actual given names is that the individual never has a formal name and there are some settings where use of a traditionally informal name is odd.  My cousin goes by Ellie 99% of the time. Her parents have called her Ellie since birth and have always intended her to go by Ellie.  But there are times when she chooses to use Elizabeth, usually more formal occasions.  

It's like Jim Bob.  He doesn't have an issue with it, but my friend's dad (also named James Robert) is a well respected academic, professor emeritus at a well known university, an adviser to several federal committees, etc.  Yes we call him Jim at home, but most people don't want to use "Jim Bob" on a paper for a journal of economics. 

And it's usually girls too.  Names like Billy or Bobby or Joey are rarely used as male given names because it is assumed that boys will grow up to work and possibly be in settings where a formal name is necessary (generally positions of power).  I think that Callie and Ellie and Allie and Tori and Kimmie all work because by default no one thinks that these women will grow up to be announced on the senate floor or writing for academic journals.  

I mean, what are a few extra letters on a birth certificate going to hurt?  Then call them whatever you want.  

I like a lot of the traditional names, and I also like some of the more far-out Biblical and virtue names that some of the fundies use. My husband would veto it, but I like the name Josiah. I'll also confess that I actually like the name Geneva Constance, even though it got much snarking here.

3 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

I love Aletheia, but not the Darth Schrader "Alatheia" misspelling.

Aletheia is great because, besides sounding and looking beautiful, it is Greek for 'truth' so it has a significant meaning too. 

I don't know if it counts as fundie but I love the ridiculously creative names Mormons come up with and there are a couple I have heard that I would maybe even use on my own kids.

I love Erin for a girl, there are a couple names that fundies use for their biblical roots that I like for other reasons like Abigail, Hannah, Rebekah, Thomas, Matthew, Mark and Peter. 

If I ever name a child it will definitely have a name that will be called creative, and I know that people hate that and I am part of the problem but growing up I always felt like my first name had no personality so I feel the need to give my child a name with a lot of personality. 

All biblical and traditional names are beautiful IMO. I like Michael Bates (Keilen) intended name Michaella very much. I like the traditional ones like Jill Rod's daughters Sophia and Olivia, also like Anna Marie's daughter Lydia. 

3 hours ago, Koala said:

I am a big fan of traditional names with traditional spellings.  

That said, I like the name Jinger.  I would have spelled it with a G, but if I ever get a female Golden Retriever, that's totally what I am naming her.  

I am also a big fan of the names Elizabeth and Grace.  Not sure if those are "fundie" names, but I really like both of them.

For boys I like the names Matthew and Jude.

You'd like my family!  Daughter 1 is Grace. DH is Jude. 

Oh, how could I forget the Smuggars?! Out of all the ATIers, they really chose the best names. Love Michael and Marcus Anthony (I've always loved Anthony). I'm really diggin' Mackynzie (Renee) with the y-spelling. I never liked Mackenzie but the y makes it softer and I feel like I hear a difference in pronunciation. I LOVE Meredith Grace for their 4th. Some people didn't like it because it made J&A look like they just wanted media attention for naming the girl Meredith, like the talk show host. I don't think that was the case, they  had said it years before that they liked that name a lot and were considering it. Meredith is an exceptionally beautiful name both for a little girl and an adult with a professional career. 

As far as names I seriously like, put me down for Calia, Elizabeth, or Rachel.

When it comes to names I love simply for the snark potential, it's hard to top Heistheway and Vision O'YHWH, but Spurgeon comes close!   :my_cool:

I feel like a lot of the younger Bates' kids all have great "little kid" names, but none of them translate well to a professional world, IMO. i.e. Callie, Ellie, and Josie all sound like little kid nicknames of a longer, more mature sounding name. Lucky for them, their parents have done everything in their power to make sure they don't end up in the professional world.

I don't believe it's been used yet, but I love Selah. I believe that was Jill Duggar's first choice for a girl name, but obviously she hasn't used it yet. I'm not really religious, otherwise I would definitely consider it for a future casserole spawn. 

20 minutes ago, habert said:

I like Carlin. I don't think I've ever seen it before, and I wonder how they came up with it.

My friend has a Carlin of a similar age (I think he's 17?)  It was a family last name. 

2 hours ago, Kak said:

I like Patience and Faith. As the OP said, I wouldn't use them myself, but I think they're both pretty.

I like virtue names as well. I love the name Verity, I think partly because the only Verity I've known is an all around lovely human. TBD if I ever actually use it.

I really love the name Carlin (mostly because I love George Carlin and because I think it's kind of a funkier take on Caroline/Carolyn without being too out there), though I'm also a big fan of traditional and attribute names, so there are actually a lot of fundie names I quite like. Joy, Anna, Josiah, Elise (Erin's middle name), Lydia, Abigail, Grace, Garrett, Matthew, James (though NOT Jim Bob), Joseph (which is also a very common name in my family tree), and Meredith are my favorites. But for now my favorite girl and boy names are Rosalind and (thank you Jessa) Elliott (which could also be a girl's name). Though I also love the name Estelle, but that's thanks to the world's most adorable princess (seriously, Princess Charlotte has a very tough act to follow).

Jessa, Carlin, Calia, and Nurie (though I refuse to accept their "Na-ree" pronunciation. I like the harsh "Nur-ee" my brain read it as at first).

I love the names Salome and Magdalene.  I also like Zipporah.  I'm happy they don't seem to be popular with the fundie set.

4 hours ago, Georgiana said:

My issue with using "nick names" as actual given names is that the individual never has a formal name and there are some settings where use of a traditionally informal name is odd.  My cousin goes by Ellie 99% of the time. Her parents have called her Ellie since birth and have always intended her to go by Ellie.  But there are times when she chooses to use Elizabeth, usually more formal occasions.  

It's like Jim Bob.  He doesn't have an issue with it, but my friend's dad (also named James Robert) is a well respected academic, professor emeritus at a well known university, an adviser to several federal committees, etc.  Yes we call him Jim at home, but most people don't want to use "Jim Bob" on a paper for a journal of economics. 

And it's usually girls too.  Names like Billy or Bobby or Joey are rarely used as male given names because it is assumed that boys will grow up to work and possibly be in settings where a formal name is necessary (generally positions of power).  I think that Callie and Ellie and Allie and Tori and Kimmie all work because by default no one thinks that these women will grow up to be announced on the senate floor or writing for academic journals.  

I mean, what are a few extra letters on a birth certificate going to hurt?  Then call them whatever you want.  

I have the same thoughts about names. People need formal names. Using diminutives/nicknames just infantalizes the person. 

And there's ample evidence that having a less serious name or even an unusal/kre8tif name has a definitely negative affect on how people do throughout their careers.

You are right that there is probably an assumption among fundies that girls won't have need of any more formal of a name, but I see this trend among non-fundies, too. I think a lot of people think about naming a baby, but not about naming an adult. 

The Shraders are the best fundie namers, hands down. I love Alatheia and Charis the most. Pretty and nice meanings. I also like Selah and want someone to use it. I like Paul and hope it gets a bit of a revival. I like a lot of biblical names and used a popular fundie choice on one of my kids. 

12 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

I have the same thoughts about names. People need formal names. Using diminutives/nicknames just infantalizes the person. 

And there's ample evidence that having a less serious name or even an unusal/kre8tif name has a definitely negative affect on how people do throughout their careers.

You are right that there is probably an assumption among fundies that girls won't have need of any more formal of a name, but I see this trend among non-fundies, too. I think a lot of people think about naming a baby, but not about naming an adult. 

YES. You can still name your child something unique and meaningful, but think about how that name's going to sound when your baby is 50 years old. Condoleezza Rice has a unique and creative name with an interesting meaning (it comes from the musical direction con dolceza, or "with sweetness"), but it's a name that ages well. It's not cutesy; it's strong and distinctive.

I agree @anjulibai and @Georgiana

I gave all my kids names that would look good on a letter head. A few do have a shortened nick name, but they have that option of having a professional sounding name. Including the girls. I specifically didn't pick names for the girls that were too...frou-frou. 

I agree @anjulibai and @Georgiana

I specifically didn't pick names for the girls that were too...frou-frou. 

You mean like "Jinjur"?

Yes: Religious family with daughter named that.

Lots of "fundie names" I like, but that one wins prize for last place with me.

I know everyone says that Callie is a nickname, but I am not sure what it's a nickname for.  THere's a TV character from one of the CSI shows that's named Callie and she's a forensic scientist, so definitely a (fictional) woman who was successful in life.

That said, Callie Bates' full name is Callie Anna Rose, and I LOVE that combination (the initials spell out 'carb' but that will change at marriage).  

Archived