IGNORED

Prosperity Rabbi? Send rescue ferrets

Buzzard

I have no idea what to make of this guy, but his stuff keeps popping up in my facebook feed.  He seems to bill himself as a "one stop shop" for everything that is wrong with your life, and all you have to do is join his groups and watch his eleventy billion videos and you'll be a SUCCESS! While you're at it, you can buy his "best selling" book about the Torah, take his classes... and join his selective speshyl snowflayke camp and chill with him at a Florida mansion for extra special time.  In addition to fixing your professional life, he'll tell you all about how you're doing your love life wrong... 

bregman.jpg

http://bregmansuccess.com/dream-academy/

https://www.facebook.com/RabbiBregman?pnref=story

https://www.instagram.com/RabbiBregman/

https://www.youtube.com/user/JELNWisdom

I look at this stuff and all I can think is 

And who has time to watch several 5+ minute videos?

My colorful background includes managing my own law firm, conducting medical research at Harvard, and a stint on Capitol Hill.

I would love to know what "conducting medical research at Harvard" entailed.  

Actually.  No, I wouldn't love to know.  I'm curious to know.. 

Also: 

This is a professional development and peak-performance program. As such, anyone of any background who is still striving to reach their full potential is welcome to apply.

WTF is the "as such" in there for?  Doesn't seem any relation to the second sentence. 

Also. I REALLY should be writing :P  

[quote ] Let me also put it this way: I am literally obsessed with adding value to the lives of others, seeing them happy, and achieving the success that has long alluded them

Literally obsessed, eh?  Sounds like the mindset of a winner indeed. 

And he's run his own firm, done medical research at Harvard, worked at Capitol Hill (and got all his degrees and presumably some Yeshiva time in too) and he's 37? 

http://bregmansuccess.com/about-shlomo/ 

@Buzzard - what have you done?  those ferrets.  Where are they? someone please anyone i really do need to be writing.. 

But wait! that's not all..

Shlomo is also the Founder of the Jewish Executive Learning Network (JELN.org), a platform that allows him to share Jewish wisdom and professional success with young professionals in their 20′s and 30′s throughout North America.  

So many things!  AND

He's been doing this for 18 years?  Who goes to a 19 YO motivational speaker?

And it just keeps giving, he runs a matchmaking service?  I cannot even... This is a goldmine. 

It's a Jewish Creflo Dollar. I think you will need more than rescue ferrets. Is he actually a Rabbi in a particular branch of Judaism or is he just using the title? 

I cant figure it out because how did he graduate law school, go to yeshiva, get some form of rabbinical experience, work at all these places, write his books... have the kid in some of the videos... in 13-14 years?  Of note, his Avvo rating doesnt appear to be claimed.

This article says he was already a Rabbi and a law school graduate at 25.  

http://www.themiamihurricane.com/2003/03/04/hip-rabbi-comes-to-ums-hillel/

“I was someone who had it all, but I knew that something was still missing, just a feeling I had in my gut,” he said.
Bregman did not realize until halfway through law school that spreading the Jewish faith was what he felt called to do.
Bregman attended Yashiva [seminary for men to study the Torah]in both New York and Jerusalem.
Bregman now resides in a house off of San Amaro Drive with his wife, Mandy, and their three-month-old son, Aaron.

I was 22 when I graduated College.  Law school is 3 years.  He didnt think Judaism was relevant until halfway through law school... which is when he went to yeshiva... So presumably he was both in Atlanta, New York, and Jerusalem at the same time, completing two degrees in three cities in a year and a half? 

Even Osteen cant claim that kind of energy!

The 3 month old in 2003 cant be the kid in the videos, that boy looks a lot younger, like around 10.  I wonder why that child isnt camera ready. 

OMG!  My husband actually showed me this guy's videos last night, and we were laughing our heads off.  Apparently, someone we know is a fan of his.  (Person we know also happens to be a life coach, so she may take this sort of thing more seriously than we do.) 

Seems to be more in the "executive coaching" camp than the "send me money and God will magically make you win the lottery" category.  I found a lot of his advice to be trite.  Hubby and I joked that we could be internet experts in all things with nothing more than a selfie stick too.

2 minutes ago, 2xx1xy1JD said:

OMG!  My husband actually showed me this guy's videos last night, and we were laughing our heads off.  Apparently, someone we know is a fan of his.  (Person we know also happens to be a life coach, so she may take this sort of thing more seriously than we do.) 

Seems to be more in the "executive coaching" camp than the "send me money and God will magically make you win the lottery" category.  I found a lot of his advice to be trite.  Hubby and I joked that we could be internet experts in all things with nothing more than a selfie stick too.

Ha! Why are so many of the videos in the car? Did his wife but him out for blathering?

I never understood the concept of "life coach" let alone someone who is an executive having to fly to florida to listen to a guy who really hasnt run a corporation tell them how to do things right. 

23 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I cant figure it out because how did he graduate law school, go to yeshiva, get some form of rabbinical experience, work at all these places, write his books... have the kid in some of the videos... in 13-14 years?  Of note, his Avvo rating doesnt appear to be claimed.

This article says he was already a Rabbi and a law school graduate at 25.  

http://www.themiamihurricane.com/2003/03/04/hip-rabbi-comes-to-ums-hillel/

I was 22 when I graduated College.  Law school is 3 years.  He didnt think Judaism was relevant until halfway through law school... which is when he went to yeshiva... So presumably he was both in Atlanta, New York, and Jerusalem at the same time, completing two degrees in three cities in a year and a half? 

Even Osteen cant claim that kind of energy!

The 3 month old in 2003 cant be the kid in the videos, that boy looks a lot younger, like around 10.  I wonder why that child isnt camera ready. 

Found an article with more background.  As I suspected, he got his rabbinical training with Aish HaTorah:  http://jewishstandard.timesofisrael.com/aish-to-open-in-passaic/

Aish is an Orthodox outreach group, and they do a lot of zero-to-rabbi training.

I suspect "medical research at Harvard" means something along the lines of "washed test tubes and did other thankless tasks in the lab as a summer student, while working for real researchers".  He wanted to go to med school, but didn't do well in organic chemistry, so law school was the backup plan.

I was just reading about Aish and I'm wondering if it borders on a cult, kind of like campus crusade for christ (I think thats the one).

https://ivyleaguedandunemployed.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/pimpmyfaith.pdf

This article talks about, essentially, stalking jews and getting them to sign up for his lists/attend shabbat dinner. 

In 2003 he was in Miami, in 2006 he was in NY at Columbia.  He doesnt stay put very long, does he?

1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

I was just reading about Aish and I'm wondering if it borders on a cult, kind of like campus crusade for christ (I think thats the one).

https://ivyleaguedandunemployed.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/pimpmyfaith.pdf

This article talks about, essentially, stalking jews and getting them to sign up for his lists/attend shabbat dinner. 

In 2003 he was in Miami, in 2006 he was in NY at Columbia.  He doesnt stay put very long, does he?

I'd say that they are "evangelical", in the sense that they are extremely gung-ho about outreach to Jews, especially those that aren't particularly observant.  The focus on outreach is similar to Chabad, although the two movement have different backgrounds and ideologies.  Both organizations appear to be extremely friendly, have fancy websites, offer synagogues and other services for free or at a low cost, offer highly subsidized trips and educational programs, and try to be "hip".  Both attract a lot of supporters, followers and donors who may not even be Orthodox.  The root ideology of Aish is still Orthodox, of the "yeshivish" variety.  They aren't "Modern Orthodox" in the sense of following the more liberal schools of thought and interpretations of traditional Jewish law.  They do, however, make use of modern trends, technology and educational background of their followers.  For example, the Parenting section of the Aish.com site is actually quite good, and relies on contributions from some educational psychologists, and tends to push a positive parenting approach and discourage physical punishment.

The slick marketing tends to gloss over any uncomfortable facts.  I know some people who initially fell in love with the religious life, and then became disillusioned by the reality of a community that wasn't quite as open and welcoming as the Aish rabbis, and by an expectation that those who were no longer new recruits would follow rules and community norms.

For several years, I had an friend who was an Aish rebbetzin in the midwest.  She was actually a really interesting poster - very religious with a large family, but she also worked as an OB/gyn nurse and held some surprisingly pro-choice and pro-Obama views (in 2007, at least).  We also became friendly with a local Aish rabbi because his son played on the same hockey team as mine.  So, I'd say that they are definitely traditional Orthodox, but sometimes push against the insularity of the rest of the Orthodox world (for example, some of the more right-wing yeshivas here frown on joining hockey teams).

http://www.aish.com/atr/Is_Aish_HaTorah_a_Cult.html

They have to defend themselves on their own website... not a good sign!

Aish helps young Jews see Judaism as a basis to answer the most important questions: How can I live a meaningful life; build successful relationships; deal honestly in business; fulfill my personal potential; really make a difference in the world?

Sound familiar? I'm beginning to wonder if he isnt a "prosperity rabbi" but more of a recruiter.  

About all those claims....

FWIW, some of the most capable and courageous folk I know seriously severely downplay their accomplishments. This includes people with multiple degrees from Majorly High Powered schools, and war veterans who would simply say (if pressed) "I just did what I had to do, and lots of other servicemembers did the same: what's the issue?"

Have also been exposed to some very narcissistic pathological liars. Frankly, they're pretty easy to spot: they've done everything, wayyyyy younger, and wayyyyy more impressively, in a whole lot of areas outside the usual range of KSAs (knowledge, skills, and abilities). The fatter the resume, the more you need to double-check is my mantra.

My top prize?---a fool who claimed in public news-space that he had a Ph.D in English literature, earned at about age 23, plus an advanced degree from an Ivy League school, plus an advanced divinity degree, plus a Woodrow Wilson scholarship AND a Fulbright scholarship (which let him go to Cambridge).  On a social media platform, the fool also claimed to be an Annapolis graduate (USNA, for overseas readers), plus a Navy Seal, plus a TopGun-trained pilot (BIG differing skillsets there), plus a POW who was captured with his Force Recon group.. With PTSD from all he'd seen in 37 years of active service, and making "flag rank" (3 terms in Vietnam, and 4 Purple Hearts). Oh, and he also was a Harvard Ph.D., a Phi Beta Kappa member, a graduate of RADA (quite an accomplishment, for an American!),  taught in a major medical school, and was a Stanford U. med school graduate---an OB/GYN doctor.

I did an Aish program in college where I got paid a small stipend to attend study sessions.  I didn't really look into them until later.  As with a lot of things, they have some good information, but one should never accept everything unquestioningly.  I remember when Michelle Duggar announced the Jubilee pregnancy, one of the posters wrote an article about how women who criticize Michelle are just jealous.  No thanks--I like being able to use birth control, work outside my house, and wear pants.

4 minutes ago, samira_catlover said:

Have also been exposed to some very narcissistic pathological liars. Frankly, they're pretty easy to spot: they've done everything, wayyyyy younger, and wayyyyy more impressively, in a whole lot of areas outside the usual range of KSAs (knowledge, skills, and abilities). The fatter the resume, the more you need to double-check is my mantra.

Indeed.  Including something that may have been a summer job, or even just a few months is a little over the line for qualifications.  When I see a list like that I generally think "they couldnt stay still."  

The more I'm reading about Aish (how have I never heard of this before?) I'm really interested in more of the back story.  He didnt find judaism important until later in life.  Did he get scooped up by them in law school/college and drink the kool aid? Has he now taken on the role of indoctrination coach more than life coach? Is that what these courses and camps are really all about?

The videos are very mainstream, and while highly snarkable, they dont set off major warning bells.  Couple the videos with the potential for evangelism for a separatist sect and I get very concerned about the number of "normal" people I know that have liked his shit. 

They don't engage in mass suicide, blackmail followers to prevent them from leaving,hide out from law enforcement, or anything like that.  You can be involved with them and still live a fairly normal life (unless you believe that a life without bacon isn't worth living...).

They do engage in heavy-duty marketing a fair bit of which is aimed at college students.  That's where I've seen most of the complaints.  It's an age and stage where they are no longer children, often no longer living at home, dealing with new ideas and new independence and sometimes looking for some warmth and support.  Free Friday night dinners, or free study trips to Israels, or even free bagels and cream cheese, can be attractive to students.  Aish puts a lot of attention on this group because they are at a point in life where they are most likely to be receptive.  OTOH, you can say that about most campus groups.  They don't expect everyone who walks in the door will become super-religious, but they are open to spot and welcome those who might be seeking or open to life change.  We have a friend, for example, who rapidly became religious after his mother passed away in college.  Her tragic death sparked questioning and a search for "something more", and Aish was there with the Discovery seminar.  I didn't find it that persuasive, but I wasn't struggling with the death of a parent and the desperate desire to believe in an afterlife or that everything would make sense in the end.

Now, not only are college students more open to new ideas and experiences - but they are also at a stage of separating from mommy and daddy.  Sometimes, it's hard to separate out problems caused by Aish vs. problems related to people 18 and over finally being more independent.  Some parents have a hard time accepting that a student may change their lifestyle and beliefs, and it can feel like a rejection.  So, it's not like Aish tells students to cut off or reject parents, but parents can be distressed if a child changes rapidly, or treats a rabbi as a mentor.  Some people who are nearly religious may not treat parents nicely if they no longer feel as comfortable, if they are feeling under attack, or if there were existing problems in the relationship.

17 hours ago, jaelh said:

Quoting  Bregman:

[quote ] Let me also put it this way: I am literally obsessed with adding value to the lives of others, seeing them happy, and achieving the success that has long alluded them

Golly, we just went over the alluded/eluded distinction in my 100-level English class. But I guess a guy on that fast a track doesn't have time to learn what words mean, or to spell yeshiva correctly.

1 minute ago, older than allosaurs said:

Golly, we just went over the alluded/eluded distinction in my 100-level English class. But I guess a guy on that fast a track doesn't have time to learn what words mean, or to spell yeshiva correctly.

Aish is clearly giving new meaning/spelling to old ideas!

35 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Indeed.  Including something that may have been a summer job, or even just a few months is a little over the line for qualifications.  When I see a list like that I generally think "they couldnt stay still."  

The more I'm reading about Aish (how have I never heard of this before?) I'm really interested in more of the back story.  He didnt find judaism important until later in life.  Did he get scooped up by them in law school/college and drink the kool aid? Has he now taken on the role of indoctrination coach more than life coach? Is that what these courses and camps are really all about?

The videos are very mainstream, and while highly snarkable, they dont set off major warning bells.  Couple the videos with the potential for evangelism for a separatist sect and I get very concerned about the number of "normal" people I know that have liked his shit. 

Honestly, I think that it's probably all part of his personality and the same skill set.

Religious outreach is marketing.  Same tools, same skills.

He's probably trying to make a buck as a coach, maybe he's hoping to spread a bit of goodwill for a Jewish message, and maybe he's even hoping that the rabbi angle will help him stand out or give him an edge.  Sort of a less polished Shmuley Boteach (who can also be corny, but I respect some of his public positions on what I'd call real family values, including his refusal to tolerate homophobia).

I just kept giggling over the coffee, wondering "what the hell is he drinking, and how much caffeine has he had to make him jump around that much?"  He also spends 2 min on some of the other videos saying "let me get to the point" - I think I was shouting at the screen "don't TELL me you are going to make it short - just say what you're going to say already!"

I haven't watched the videos yet but I'm expecting this to be along the lines of Caged Wisdom. Are we sure George Bluth doesn't have anything to do with this organization? [emoji13]

Wasn't there - years ago - an article in a Jewish online magazine about a mother who lost her college age daughter to a 'cult'?  There was quite a thread about it.

1 hour ago, jaelh said:

Wasn't there - years ago - an article in a Jewish online magazine about a mother who lost her college age daughter to a 'cult'?  There was quite a thread about it.

I think it was this thread: 

A lot of the complaints that I read about Aish online came from parents, and generally included claims that their son or daughter had previously gone to the best schools, gotten the best education, was on track to have a wonderful career as a doctor/lawyer/business person, etc. and then made an abrupt change in their life.

I could believe that, and believe that someone was previously "so close" to a parent.  At the risk of stereotyping - my experience with my community is that it's pretty common for Jewish parents here to see their college-aged kids as simply larger children who happen to have the right to vote and drive.  It's also been my experience that being a doctor or lawyer is something that's decided when the child is still in diapers (if not in the womb).  Growing up, it was crystal clear that these were options that would bring my family pride and joy, and that would be seen as success to everyone around.  So....having a child deviate from those life plans, which were really the parent's plans, feels devastating to the parent.  I'm not saying that any estrangement is necessarily due to the previous relationship being bad, but the "so close" relationship was often based on treating the son or daughter as if they were still a child and following the parent's ambitions, instead of being an independent adult.

The other complaints that I've heard relate to not making it totally obvious from the outset that the programs are affiliated with a yeshivish Orthodox group (saying "we don't believe in labels, we are open to everyone" sort of thing and having non-Orthodox in the marketing materials), "love-bombing", targeting some people more than others and painting an overly-rosy picture.  To be fair, I'll also point out that most people who deal with Aish know perfectly well that they are an Orthodox outreach group, and there are a lot of folks that like the cheap/free programs and super-friendly approach, and found that the typical synagogues were cold and boring in comparison. 

1 hour ago, 2xx1xy1JD said:

I could believe that, and believe that someone was previously "so close" to a parent.  At the risk of stereotyping - my experience with my community is that it's pretty common for Jewish parents here to see their college-aged kids as simply larger children who happen to have the right to vote and drive.  It's also been my experience that being a doctor or lawyer is something that's decided when the child is still in diapers (if not in the womb).  Growing up, it was crystal clear that these were options that would bring my family pride and joy, and that would be seen as success to everyone around.  So....having a child deviate from those life plans, which were really the parent's plans, feels devastating to the parent.  I'm not saying that any estrangement is necessarily due to the previous relationship being bad, but the "so close" relationship was often based on treating the son or daughter as if they were still a child and following the parent's ambitions, instead of being an independent adult.

This. I have three friends (all female) that are now living in observant communities.  They all found their way there differently, none of them through college recruitment, but it was discussed the same.  People wondered where they had "gone wrong" and that they had "so much promise" but chose to throw it away.  I admit that I was one of those people, and still wonder why someone would give up on their career ambitions to become baby factories. 

Excuse me, please, but on the cult calls:

Christianity (to my very limited knowledge), was a CULT. Anything supported by wimmens and slaves is rather Beyond the Pale.

Jehovah's Witnesses and Latter Day Saints (whatever flavor), and probably a whole lot of other groups are CULTS, because not mainstream religionisty. This includes the Heaven's Gate bunch (although I think they were Rather Very Confused)

Can we sorta kinda define what exactly is a "cult" (*makes scary gestures*)?

For myself, and YMMV, and probably does: I'll support Robert Jay Lifton's takes on mind control stuff.

Is CULT the mindless Go-To-Term, when you want to demonize someone else's belief set?

Archived