IGNORED

Lori Alexander - Still Not Learning A Thing, Part 5

Reader:

I know nothing about American politics, but I have a question about politics in general I am hoping you can answer. Some people believe that we should not vote, because the government in charge is the one that God put in charge. What are your feelings on this matter? 

Lori:

Yes, we should vote for the best candidate because if we don't, it's a vote for the worse one

Heh...no speech about how it'd be A-Okay if women couldn't vote?  

Remember when:

I completely agree although I don't think I would have the nerve to ever write about it. Clinton and Obama would not have won if women voted. Men vote more pro-life than women. Clinton and Obama were not raised by fathers, thus seem to think more with their emotions and act based upon what is right for the moment. Bush and Romney had strong fathers and think more with their reason and see the whole picture. I would not mind at all if women weren't allowed to vote anymore....

To which she received the following response:

Come on, write about it. Picture a million woman strong organization dedicated to ending women's suffrage. All of them raising daughters with the same mentality. The head spinning and hand waving of the liberals would be so entertaining.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Koala she probably changed her mind because in her thoughts if every woman is submissive and follows her husband then her husband effectively has two votes!

16 hours ago, Koala said:

It's a shame really.  She has no idea how good a happy marriage can be.  My only complaint about my husband is that he has to go to work.  We'd both be totally content if we could be together all the time.  We aren't newlyweds either.  We've been together for 17 years and married for 15, and we are both dedicated to making each other happy.  If you don't care about making your spouse happy, don't blame feminism.  Take a good, long look at yourself.

Tack another decade on it, and you've described me and my husband.

Reader:

I'm sorry, but considering that a true, delicious meal can take up to several hours to make, I don't see how a working mom can come home at 5 or 6 and start on a big meal for her family. Sure, there are some good crock pot meals, but those are few and far between in my experience, and you would still have to do all of the prep for that the night before or on the weekend, which is the time that you would be cleaning up, helping with homework or enjoying your family. Leftovers or a simple meal is necessary on occasion and we do that to, but if you are working 5 days a week and are away from your home more than you are in your home, I find it hard to believe that you provide your family with wonderful meals.

Well in my humble opinion, if it takes you several hours to cook dinner, something has gone terribly wrong in the kitchen.

50 minutes ago, Koala said:

Well in my humble opinion, if it takes you several hours to cook dinner, something has gone terribly wrong in the kitchen.

Yeah, I'm kinda bad in the kitchen, but I still don't need hours upon hours of time to do most meals. It's not like most people are making 5-star meals every single night with multiple courses.

1 hour ago, Koala said:

Reader:

Lasagne can take me about that long when I make it. But I think that's the only thing I really cook that takes that long. And yes, I make many if not most things from scratch. (Not everything because I AM a whore of Babylon, after all).

I'd like to know what the reader considers a "true delicious meal".  Thanksgiving takes me a few hours, and that's about the only one. 

It's all about planning.  My homemade spaghetti sauce takes about 2-3 hours to make from scratch, but then we can eat from that for about a month - the sauce reheats with a little extra canned tomatoes in the space of time that the water takes to boil and the pasta to cook. 

I've got a couple dishes that take about an hour, but they generally involve marinating ingredients.  Most of the stuff I make - pork chops with a tomato-noodle sort of thing, sauteed chicken and mashed potatoes, spaghetti, steak and rice - can all be done in 30-60 minutes.

On 2/23/2016 at 5:31 AM, OnceUponATime said:

Sorry, hon, quote formatting is messed up again: please stand down. 

3 hours ago, Koala said:

(internal quote, precise source not clear) >>'m sorry, but considering that a true, delicious meal can take up to several hours to make, I don't see how a working mom can come home at 5 or 6 and start on a big meal for her family. Sure, there are some good crock pot meals, but those are few and far between in my experience, and you would still have to do all of the prep for that the night before or on the weekend, which is the time that you would be cleaning up, helping with homework or enjoying your family. Leftovers or a simple meal is necessary on occasion and we do that to, but if you are working 5 days a week and are away from your home more than you are in your home, I find it hard to believe that you provide your family with wonderful meals.<<

(Koala direct quote, if I got it right:) >>Well in my humble opinion, if it takes you several hours to cook dinner, something has gone terribly wrong in the kitchen.<<

http://savingdinner.com/

Here's a huge clutch of recipes (crockpot, oven, stovetop) from a certified nutritionist who seems to believe firmly that with a reasonable amount of planning, you can make healthy, tasty, GOOD meals for a crowd without needing a couple hours. Lots of Ely's stuff is table-ready in 30-45 minutes--and while it's cooking, that's when you help with homework or run a load of laundry or something.

"Delicious meal taking up to several hours to make?" (paraphrased)  

FFS, I don't routinely feed tagine or cassoulet or chicken Kiev to my loved ones, and stew may take some time to nicely mature and ripen and marry the flavors, but for goodness sake, it doesn't take rocket science to figure out how to grill or wok some meat and veg and make rice in an electronic cooker!  Casseroles and soups are your FRIENDS, you know?---they cook happily while you make the next day's lunches or prep extra stuff for tomorrow's meal.

"...all the prep (before)..." Yeah. Like chopping veggies (which can do triple-duty for snacks) and assembling meat and stuff in a crockpot liner, which you start heating the next morning. You can't spend 15 minutes in prep while chatting "oh, how was your day?" or while letting dishes soak?   Throw the cooking pots in the sink with soap and water when you serve the meal, and they'll be easy to wash by the time dessert is ready.

3 hours ago, samira_catlover said:

You can't spend 15 minutes in prep while chatting "oh, how was your day?" or while letting dishes soak?

or get your kids involved helping peeling (shock horror!)

6 hours ago, desertvixen said:

I'd like to know what the reader considers a "true delicious meal". 

Me too. I mean I can spend a long time in the kitchen cooking (usually because I'm trying to avoid cutting or burning myself ) but I'm not spending hours every day. If I want to I can make a decent meal in the time it takes my potatoes to cook. Meat, potatoes, and a salad, sauteed veggies or something like that. I'm guessing that wouldn't be a 'true meal' to her even if it is delicious.

Being the lazy beyatch I am...I try to make life as easy as possible for myself. When we go grocery shopping I'll buy pork roasts and maybe a couple cuts of beef. When I get home, I'll either cut them up in chunks or slivers. They go in freezer bags and that's the end of that. Takes me about an hour to prep all the meats. 

Since its just the two of us now, I'm all about quick and easy. I can throw together a meal in 30 minutes or less using REAL ingredients...meat, starch, veggie or fruit. Lori is about a stupid bitch.

9 hours ago, slickcat79 said:

Yeah, I'm sure Lori spent hours in the kitchen slaving over a Big Salad :pb_rollseyes:

Maybe that's why she thinks it takes hours of intensive labor to make a single meal. Maybe she can't actually cook.

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

meat, starch, veggie or fruit.

culinary fruit does not belong with your meat! that is dessert not a veggie replacement *hyperventilates* I do cry inside every time someone tries to serve me applesauce instead of vegetables. And yes I eat all my starch and meat first before I start on my apple dessert :P I do allow exceptions like pineapple in sweet and sour, and lemon chicken. 

@polecat iirc it was someone else who wrote the blog (and that comment) not Lori

1 minute ago, OnceUponATime said:

culinary fruit does not belong with your meat! that is dessert not a veggie replacement *hyperventilates* I do cry inside every time someone tries to serve me applesauce instead of vegetables. And yes I eat all my starch and meat first before I start on my apple dessert :P I do allow exceptions like pineapple in sweet and sour, and lemon chicken. 

@polecat iirc it was someone else who wrote the blog (and that comment) not Lori

I throw together whatever seems good at the time...sometimes we have veggies or a salad or sometimes we have fruit. I never did that when I was raising my kids...but now, as empty nesters, we're not as big into "balanced" meals. I normally graze during the day and then eat a real meal at night. Mr. xtian eats regular meals and snacks because of his diabetes. 

last night we had a stir fry sort of thing...rice, veggies and beef. We're doing the eat our way through the freezer thing because I just interviewed for a job in another state and we don't know which way the wind is blowing. 

fair enough. :) I too am working through my freezer because I still have more than 4 meals of spaghetti/lasagna sauce in there made last summer. I'm feel like a homemaker's failure because I can't get it emptied. We are getting a new fridge/freezer soon so we need to get it done

When my kids were growing up, I would do much the same thing (maybe that's where I got it from). We didn't shop monthly then, the freezer and fridge were not big enough to hold a month's worth of food for a family of 7. So, one week I'd get meat for the month, ground beef, beef, chicken, pork, etc. I'd make 2 or 3 meatloafs, wrap them in tin foil and freeze, make meatballs, bake them and freeze them, etc, etc, etc. Even then I don't think dinner ever took more than an hour. Well, when I'd make "fancy" meals it could...like homemade pizza. But then again, I LOVE to cook. 

I wish I loved to cook, but there hasn't been a woman in the last 3 generations of my family who gave a tinker's damn about it.  All working women.  I am the first stay at home mom in I don't know when.  

My grandfather cooked (you did not want my Nana anywhere near a kitchen...heh), my mom and I kind of fended for ourselves.  She cooked sometimes, but not so much.  I married a man who loves to cook.  His food is sooooo much better than mine.  I still cook sometimes, but I honestly think he prefers to do it himself.  :pb_lol:

Anyway, Lori would probably say I am a result of my working mother and grandmother, but I gotta tell you, I would have taken my Mom and Nana any day of the week over her (and Nana was a little on the crazy side).

My mother was a HORRIBLE cook. I mean HORRIBLE!! She hated to cook. I was a working mother and I STILL cooked every. damn. night. Ok...I sleezed out a lot because I would prep and freeze a bunch of stuff. 

True story...when my husband and I were dating, I invited him over for dinner one night (conveniently getting rid of the kids that night). He says I made spaghetti, but honestly I don't remember. Anyway...one thing led to another and he spent the night. The next day...I found a bunch of stuff that I KNEW didn't belong to me in the middle of my living room floor. And here we are almost 20 years later!

Lori has actually surprised me. She has posted about illegal immigration on her Facebook page, and she does not bash the immigrants. She has been arguing with some of her fans about who to hold accountable for the immigration problem. It is the first time I have seen he show an ounce of compassion for other people's experiences.

Dinner last night took a couple hours to make, but that's because I braised a pork loin with apples, onions, vermouth, and chicken stock. Active time was maybe half an hour. Tonight I'm making eggs, bacon, and toast and it'll take me ten minutes, if that.

Time in the oven doesn't count...I mean, do you sit on top of the oven and baby-sit? I toss whatever in the oven and go on with my day. NORMALLY, I got home from work about 4:30 so I had plenty of time to fix dinner when I got home. Even before my Mr. had to retire (when he got sick), I would call a child and tell them to take this or that out of the freezer for dinner. Heck, my kids could cook a full meal by the time they were 14 or so (boys, so don't yell). 

After my Mr. retired, I would call and tell him what to get out of the freezer, and if it was something like a meatloaf, I'd tell him to go ahead and put it in the oven about 4pm. It never took me "hours" to cook dinner, unless it was some holiday dinner or something special. Pizza can take FOREVER (the way I make them), Make the dough, let it rise, yadda yadda yadda. I LIKE cooking from scratch...I rarely, if ever, use anything out of a can...

If time in the oven doesn't count then this is an even weirder assertion than I originally thought. What is this lady making for dinner that requires multiple hours of active time? Homemade puff pastry doesn't even take that long.

The ONLY thing I can think of that can keep me actively occupied in the kitchen for a few hours is when I make the massive, mega-batches of cookies my kids expect when they come home. 3-4 double batches of cookies can take awhile...but that happens MAYBE once a year. 

Color me mystified

Right? Not even the most complicated recipes I've ever made - the quiche from the Bouchon cookbook, Beef Wellington, bûche de nöel with meringue mushrooms and all - took multiple hours of active time. Thanksgiving dinner does, but that's just because there are so many dishes to prep at once. Maybe Lori's commenter is making appetizers, a main, four side dishes, and a dessert every evening? That would take me half a day to bang out.

I love to cook, but if I had to do it for hours every day just to get dinner on the table the fun would wear off pretty darn quickly.

2 hours ago, molecule said:

Lori has actually surprised me. She has posted about illegal immigration on her Facebook page, and she does not bash the immigrants. She has been arguing with some of her fans about who to hold accountable for the immigration problem. It is the first time I have seen he show an ounce of compassion for other people's experiences.

Holy moly, who is that and what has she done with Lori?!?

And :annoyed: at that one commenter who basically says illegal immigration is just like rape ... of the government. *rolls eyes* 

Also this because I just found it and have to share it. 

:output_eeMbjt:

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived