IGNORED

Lori Alexander - Still Not Learning A Thing, Part 5

49 minutes ago, docmom said:

Got to say I have absolutely no problem with my children getting free condoms, STD treatment if necessary (although the free condoms should prevent most of them) and a government funded abortion.  Free psychological evaluation and treatment would be a great thing too.  Bring on the New World Order!  And let's just point out that all these things are available in most of the US's "peer" nations.

Be careful of the NWO - it brings the rapture times and the tribulation. The magazine I remember was similar to Lamplighter but I'm can't say 100% if it was. I do remember that it was a terribly laid out, old school looking thing. It's kind of a shame I threw them into a bonfire once

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to admit, if I were a kid I would probably be sad/upset if my mother were gone for months on end. Kids are susceptible to self-centered thinking that way.

But I have a feeling I'd be more upset if my mother were home every day, but still closed me up in my room for hours and pawned me off on the nanny. Then it would be blindingly obvious that my mother just doesn't like me.

To all of you military wives; THANK YOU for your sacrifice.  I bow at your feet in adoration.  I've only watched from the sidelines as my sister-in-law managed it all while my brother was overseas several times. You have a strength that I can't comprehend.

Count me among those who are certain Lori would collapse as a military wife or mother.  When my son was in boot camp, I joined a parents' forum and it was extremely helpful. We kept each other updated through news from our sons (their training stations was only for men; I'm not discounting daughters here) - awards their platoon had won, graduation schedule, etc.  But there were some parents who would comment with things like "I emailed the drill instructor today to ask him about...." And I wanted to jump through the computer screen and take them by the shoulders and say "Do you realize what you've done?!?"  Seriously, contacting a drill instructor is absolutely guaranteeing your child will receive some extensive I.T. (individual training) and NOBODY WANTS I.T. The drill instructors found plenty of reasons to "pick on" each recruit without his mommy stepping in.  I can just imagine Lori emailing a drill instructor to make sure her son was getting his big salad and Bible time. 

As for my sharing her anti-military woman post; I decided not to do that.  Each avenue I considered just looked like a way to bring pain to these women and their parents.  More importantly, I felt like it was something that Lori would do. You know...quote somebody who says something horrible and then sit back and watch people feast on her carcass.  As appealing as that sounded, I just could not bring myself to emulate Ken and Lori Alexander.  I could not be the bully that they so love to be.  I don't share this to be preachy to anybody who encouraged me to share it (believe me, I REALLY wanted to do so) but to be honest about my reasoning. 

Having said that, it was kind of fun to sit back and think of Lori and Ken panicking all day yesterday as they waited for the virtual invasion of pro-military comments.

funny story about boot camp and DI's...my son was in the army...in boot camp the DI was up in his face (as DI's are wont to do). My son just sort of smirked at the DI...and the DI asked him what was so funny. Boy child says to DI "my mama could make YOU cry, so keep on screaming, it doesn't matter to me". First time on the range, son shot expert...DI asks him, "where'd you learn to shoot boy"...son says "my mama". Out on the driving course with the humvees...again, "where'd you learn to drive?"..."my mama". DI gave up on boychild and found another victim :)

My sons letters from boot camp were always full of D.I. stories that made us laugh.  He got I.T once because the recruit beside him did something that "just got two of your buddies killed."  So my son and another guy got sent to the sand pit with the offender to...um..."die" from exhaustion, I guess.  His favorite stories to tell were when the D.I would mess up...like falling off the curb while running and screaming, or losing his hat in the wind.  The biggest challenge was to keep from laughing, which he failed at one time when the D.I. screamed something like "if you don't move faster I'm gonna stab you with my sword." For some reason my son thought that was hilarious and...well...the D.I. didn't.  :laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling: I think that may have been when he had to carry his weapon on his pinky. 

Good times. 

I did go after his recruiter once, when he'd left for boot camp and then was sent home the same day due to a paperwork error.  I was livid since we'd already gone through our goodbyes and all that.  When I was done, my son said "Geesh, mom; I think he wishes he was back in Fallujah." 

She uses piles and piles of logical fallacies and emotionally manipulative tactics. She mentions a blog post (I think?) of a couple who's happy with their daycare. Then in the next sentence, she talks about some mysterious photo she sees where the child has bruises all over his/her face from the caregiver (how she knows that, no one knows). If you skim quickly, it's easy to mistake the child in the latter sentence for the child in the first (the child of the parents who are pleased with their daycare), making it far more dramatic than if it's two unrelated kids, both of whom only have in common that they have a nanny or go to daycare. Also, she jumps right from "happy with daycare" to "boasting about their child's amazing progress" or something, which is probably a really hyperbolic way of rephrasing whatever was actually said, and then straight from that to extreme child abuse that should be dealt with by CPS, not blogged about. Really? Is your argument so weak and based on drama and speculation that the only way you can back it up is with a random child COVERED in bruises?! Yeah, first of all, that's a major straw man/non sequitur and second of all, use statistics or something, or an anecdote where the child is just lonely or not developing as quickly or thriving as much as a child who stays at home. Jumping immediately to 'the babysitter beats him' just makes you seem like a drama queen, not a person with any sort of point. Like, let's read studies about kids in daycare vs. kids not in daycare, sure. Don't just feed me unsubstantiated claims about that one kid that you apparently don't care about helping whose face is all bruised.

7 hours ago, Koala said:

Well, she's got one reply so far....if you count Ken.

Still just the 1 comment from Ken. Looks like the ladies aren't buying what Lori's selling on Romans. 

One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do.

Usually she replies back to him.  Guess she's kind of miffed.  She is speaking for The God of the Universe, so why isn't anyone listening!?!

maybe all the ladies have realized they should be spending their time being homemakers and not reading blogs

She's playing it safe today.  This post will get comments easily. Who doesn't want to participate in the Martyrdom Olympics?  I'll go first:

My Mercedes is rather dated, and there is only a partial view of the ocean from my house. 

I wanted to save money, so I just had a nanny and a housekeeper instead of a full staff.

It's been a sacrifice, but I say if you're going to do something, do it heartily, as unto the Lord.

Do I win? :pb_rollseyes:

5 minutes ago, Koala said:

She's playing it safe today.  This post will get comments easily. Who doesn't want to participate in the Martyrdom Olympics?  I'll go first:

My Mercedes is rather dated, and there is only a partial view of the ocean from my house. 

I wanted to save money, so I just had a nanny and a housekeeper instead of a full staff.

It's been a sacrifice, but I say if you're going to do something, do it heartily, as unto the Lord.

You win. :pb_lol:  But don't forget this one:

Instead of spending $4500 again on a new sofa and loveseat, I only spent $1500 re-covering my old ones (sshh! don't mention the new carpet I got at the same time :pb_biggrin: ).

12 minutes ago, Koala said:

None have suffered such as we

VERSUS, Lori!  VERSUS!

For the love of Pete, she was a teacher! Clearly, nobody is looking to her for homeschooling advice. 

Good ol' Lori wouldn't last a week in my shoes right now...broke as shit, living in an itty-bitty apartment, one car off the road, both cars with dead license plates...no cable TV...Come to think of it there isn't a week in my life that Lori WOULD survive. She's a useless pox on the planet...

2 hours ago, usmcmom said:

VERSUS, Lori!  VERSUS!

For the love of Pete, she was a teacher! Clearly, nobody is looking to her for homeschooling advice. 

Sadly, I have a feeling that at least one of her fangirls probably asks for homeschooling advice.

I was going through my FB feed awhile ago and a news story about HBO making a mini-series adaptation of the non-fiction book Soldier Girls popped up. I haven't read the book, it's about three women who joined the National Guard and were deployed. The female screenwriter doing the adaptation is a former solider.  While I was reading that story I thought of Lori. If this mini-series makes it onto TV and gets attention like previous HBO movies and mini-series, Lori will write another trash post on women in the military. 

I remember years ago there was talks about a movie being made about the WWII WASPS. I really wish a movie like that would happen especially since Lori has blogged so much about the 1940s and 1950s.

http://www.avclub.com/article/julia-louis-dreyfus-produce-hbo-miniseries-about-e-233273

The gold Mercedes as the "junker car' kills me EVERY TIME. I don't care how old it is, it's still a gold Mercedes. :pb_lol:

What boggles me about Lori's perception is that she seems to think that this is a new phenomenon - women in the military, women fighting, women doing something other than working in a kitchen for hours making big salads and taking naps while their maid and nanny do all the work with the childrearing and cleaning. 

Would it send her into a tizzy if she became aware of the fact that women have been fighting, ruling and taking over other 'man work' for a very long time? There have been female warriors, female pirates, female gunslingers, female kings, female explorers, female scientists  and many more strong, intelligent women working for a purpose beyond OR in addition to cleaning, cooking and babies. It is not a newfangled concept and it is not the result of modern feminism. Some of these women lived before feminism was a word.  

I am fond of reading 'Rejected Princesses' after I read Lori's rubbish. It displays her level of ignorance of historical and modern women quite well and it soothes my mind. It also has many examples of the women noted above and I think it's pretty well-written. I also enjoy the art, especially the fine details. .

What also made me rage about the military post was somehow children don't need their fathers??? I know you all know this but I teach on a huge Army base and we have a rotation of deployments constantly.  Seeing my kiddos faces when they tell me their PARENT is leaving again breaks my heart.  It affects them in every sense of the word and we as a school help them work through it. To simplify it to a "women want to fight" is inaccurate, rude and a disservice to all the brave men and women who miss births, their families and any other important event in a year. I hate her. I really do.

31 minutes ago, teachergirl said:

What also made me rage about the military post was somehow children don't need their fathers??? I know you all know this but I teach on a huge Army base and we have a rotation of deployments constantly.  Seeing my kiddos faces when they tell me their PARENT is leaving again breaks my heart.  It affects them in every sense of the word and we as a school help them work through it. To simplify it to a "women want to fight" is inaccurate, rude and a disservice to all the brave men and women who miss births, their families and any other important event in a year. I hate her. I really do.

In Lori's world, fathers really are only useful for providing an income.  Ken has mentioned that he didn't enjoy his kids until they "became interesting."  I can guarantee you my niece and nephew have grown up with more love and security in their lives (even while their dad served) than Ken and Lori's kids did. 

Thank you for teaching!!  Thank you for teaching children who are in such precarious situations.  I'm sure there are so many layers of involvement and compassion needed when working with our military families.  I appreciate you. 

45 minutes ago, teachergirl said:

2 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

In Lori's world, fathers really are only useful for providing an income.  Ken has mentioned that he didn't enjoy his kids until they "became interesting."  I can guarantee you my niece and nephew have grown up with more love and security in their lives (even while their dad served) than Ken and Lori's kids did. 

Thank you for teaching!!  Thank you for teaching children who are in such precarious situations.  I'm sure there are so many layers of involvement and compassion needed when working with our military families.  I appreciate you. 

I was going to say the same thing as usmcmom about Lori's view of fathers being the sources of income. Lori did a post years ago about being against stay at home dads. She referenced a Mark Driscoll sermon on the subject. Lori's blog post was basically, "The Bible says men have to be providers and women are keepers of the home." I remember one or two stay at home dads responded to her post and IIRC, she tossed out Bible verses.

If someone brought up the issues of children missing their military fathers during deployments, Lori would probably say something like, "The fathers are out providing for them" and "they have their mothers at home". My previously mentioned cousin's kids took it hard emotionally when their father was deployed. I knew a woman whose husband was a Hotshot firefighter. They didn't have kids together, but he had a daughter from his first marriage. She was pretty outright in talking about the difficulties of having her husband away for months at a time and she knew that her stepdaughter was hurting too.

Oh Lawdy!!!  Lori's post today is how to "help" somebody whose home is filthy.

So many things to cover on this how-to-safely-judge-others post.

1. Let's remember one's idea of "filthy" is not another's idea of "filthy."  Lori and The Joy Filled Wife, for example, probably think frozen dinner cartons on the counter make a house "filthy." Or maybe a few magazines set on the coffee table and a craft project setting out waiting until you can get back to it make a house filthy.

2. Much of the time, a woman lets her house go because she is overwhelmed by something. Maybe she's lonely and all the ladies at church ignore her.  Maybe she's depressed and all the ladies at church have stigmatized her, making it impossible to reach out and tell others her struggle.  Maybe her husband travels and she is barely keeping her head above water as she raises kids alone and SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE, so it's the housework; while all the women at church overlook her struggle.

The simplest way to help would be to wait until somebody says "I am so overwhelmed with my house, I don't know where to begin."  Then you say "Oh I struggle with that too! I'm happy to help you tackle it any time.  Then maybe you can come help me one day."  Then drop it.  No need for all these cagey scripts and phony visits. 

My mother-in-law does not keep a tidy home and it used to really irk me. They are kind of pack rats and the stuff is beginning to make it's way out of the corners.  Thankfully, I've matured and seen the good in them. For instance, if someone calls and says they need a ride to the airport, they grab their keys and drive them!  Grandkids or great grandkids have an event? They are there no matter the distance or the weather.   Long time military friend passing through town? They magically have pizza and veggie trays filling the kitchen and a reunion organized in an hour.  See, she does not have the gift of housekeeping but she has the gift of hospitality and encouragement.  Her house is not physically inviting but it is always full of people who WANT to be there. 

Lori and her friends would be good to first meet the immediate needs of these women with "filthy" homes; then look beyond their superficial expectations of housekeeping and embrace what these women DO have to offer, which is likely a whole lot more compassion and empathy than Lori and JFW have ever shown.

I imagine these two to be the kind of women who, when they meet another woman, give that up-down scan. You know; when a woman does that quick thing with her eyes to judge your outfit before even greeting you?  I hate that.  They clearly do the same when entering someone's home. They look around for dirt and imperfections, rather than embrace the hospitality. 

Anyone else suspect that Lori has a housekeeper now? She never mentions actually doing housework.

Perhaps "My home is filthy and I need help" would be a good post count title??

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived