IGNORED

Bates Family Part 8

Coconut Flan

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok now that the wedding is aired, when are they going to announce Nathan and Ashley?

10 hours ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

@Fascinated, this is THE funniest thing I've read all day!  Made funnier, of course, because I probably did the same thing and I could just envision a mini-Fascinated flipping those leotard legs around.

Thanks for taking me back to a simpler, more innocent, fun time and for the laugh! :handsex:

BTW, did you ever stand on your bed, in front of your dresser mirror, and sing into your hairbrush while playing your Partridge Family record on your turntable, over, and over, and over?

Yeah, me either. :pb_lol:

I used to take a tennis racket and stand in front of a mirror and "play guitar" while playing records..:my_biggrin:

10 hours ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

@Fascinated, this is THE funniest thing I've read all day!  Made funnier, of course, because I probably did the same thing and I could just envision a mini-Fascinated flipping those leotard legs around.

Thanks for taking me back to a simpler, more innocent, fun time and for the laugh! :handsex:

BTW, did you ever stand on your bed, in front of your dresser mirror, and sing into your hairbrush while playing your Partridge Family record on your turntable, over, and over, and over?

Yeah, me either. :pb_lol:

I absolutely may or may not have done that!  I may or may not have loved the Partridge Family in general, and David Cassidy in particular. (Even he could flip his actual hair around!)

I found admiring my leotard hair in the mirror to be a double-edged sword. Yes, obviously I looked super cool casually flipping the legs around, but the patterns on the leotards tended to take me out of the moment if I wasn't careful. Additionally, the underpants/crotch part really flattened my head and didn't exactly match the look I was going for.  The elastic waistband squeezing my forehead was not helpful, either.

Just thinking about us with our little turntables and those plastic inserts for the 45s makes me wistful.

I'm glad this made you smile, @Gimme a Free RV.  As you say, an innocent time.  A long ago one. :smile:

it will be interesting to see how far Lawson's single goes up the charts.  Anyone know a rough estimate of how much an artist gets out of a 99 cent single?  

Of course we have no idea how much he had to pay the recording studio & backup musicians. Or if UP network chipped in at all.

Based on the Instagram comments, I assume that there are a lot of fangirls out there throwing their contact information at him. Wonder how Gil and Kelly control that?

13 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

:pb_lol: :pb_lol: You are amazing. Tommy and Kimberly were my first OTP.

I, on the other hand, had a total crush on Carlos from the Magic School Bus when I was little (like 5 years old maybe?). I still like guys with that same sense of humor.

Someone must have done a study on fictional character crushes in childhood and how that has carried over into adulthood....

YESSSS Tommy and Kimberly were everything. I shipped them sooooooo hard!! :56247955dd693_32(12)::562479574e583_32(16):

@Fascinated, I'm sitting a meeting about to give away my stealth FJ status by guffawing out loud!  I have painted this mental image of you that likely rivals reality.

I used to make up stories in my head about traveling and singing with the Partridge Family. I often channeled Laurie, playing a non-existent keyboard on the top of my dresser.  When he was willing, I recruited my little brother to be Danny.

12 hours ago, Alye said:

Mine was Li Shang! I also liked Beast (Beast not Adam).

As for first OTP, mine  was Iceman/Gambit thanks to a fan fiction I sure as hell shouldn't have been reading at 13.

Oh girl Iceman and Gambit :56247955dd693_32(12)::56247955dd693_32(12)::56247955dd693_32(12): My Iceman thing was so bad that I actually met Shawn Ashmore and couldn't say anything. I just kept repeating to my friend Iceman is my favorite, Iceman is my favorite, she's like stop saying it to me, tell him that haha

11 hours ago, SallyDraper said:

Callie crying just breaks my heart. 

The major downfall of sister moms. Michael raised Callie and now she's leaving. It's not a healthy sisterly relationship. Callie is basically losing her mom. It's devastating to her psyche.

12 hours ago, grifthouse said:

david schwimer played his (fred savage) sister karens husband

on the wonder years

I had forgotten that.  I thought you might have gotten David and Fred confused.

ETA:  Leo  was your babysitter?  That is so freakin' cool!  Also it is totally freakiness cool that he kissed you on the cheek!

I always felt Kelly was a more involved mother than Michelle  and the older girls were not so mom-like to their younger siblings. Still, the sheer number of kids makes it impossible to believe that some of the mothering was  not done by them. I agree that it sets the younger kids up for heartbreak when the older girls leave. I hope  Kelly is at least aware and empathetic enough to give special attention to the ones left behind.

Is that Brandon's mom with the crazy black helmet hair in the shot near the end of the ceremony? It almost looks like her hair is molded plastic placed on her head like a Lego.

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Lawson wrote a love song despite never even front hugging a girl? lol okay.

I wanna front hug like an animal, I've only felt you from the left side...

Yes, that was Mama Keilen's hair.  She has some astounding hairstyles going.  One of the daughters seems to have inherited the helmet hair, but seems to do better with it.

Just looked up the family. That is some impressive hair on Mama K's head. Could anyone post a screen cap from the wedding? Pretty please?

53 minutes ago, jcanglin991 said:

I always felt Kelly was a more involved mother than Michelle  and the older girls were not so mom-like to their younger siblings. Still, the sheer number of kids makes it impossible to believe that some of the mothering was  not done by them. I agree that it sets the younger kids up for heartbreak when the older girls leave. I hope  Kelly is at least aware and empathetic enough to give special attention to the ones left behind.

Didn't the Bates say somewhere that Michael potty trained all the younger kids?  And I thought she was also the main homeschool teacher.

I think Kelly Bates mostly has it all over Michelle Duggar in that she seems more intelligent and has good instincts for managing the public personas.  Gil and Kelly are superbly smooth grifters.  Jill Rodrigues can only dream of having Kelly's mad skillz.

Do fundies like the Bates and Duggars have to get married in a church? I remember Jill considered an outdoor wedding at one point, but it seemed to be for the benefit of the show. The reason I ask is because I think wedding decor like Jill's and Michael's would've been so much prettier in places like a park, farm or even just an old country church. The stump with Brandon and Michael's name looks so out of place in that modern church. I actually liked Jill's vintage theme, but I had the same problem with the location.

17 minutes ago, MissBitters said:

Do fundies like the Bates and Duggars have to get married in a church? I remember Jill considered an outdoor wedding at one point, but it seemed to be for the benefit of the show. The reason I ask is because I think wedding decor like Jill's and Michael's would've been so much prettier in places like a park, farm or even just an old country church. The stump with Brandon and Michael's name looks so out of place in that modern church. I actually liked Jill's vintage theme, but I had the same problem with the location.

They certainly seem to always get married in churches. One would think a religious wedding ceremony led by a pastor would be acceptable even if not in a church, but y'know, "house of God" and all that.

54 minutes ago, martian said:

Didn't the Bates say somewhere that Michael potty trained all the younger kids?  And I thought she was also the main homeschool teacher.

I think Kelly Bates mostly has it all over Michelle Duggar in that she seems more intelligent and has good instincts for managing the public personas.  Gil and Kelly are superbly smooth grifters.  Jill Rodrigues can only dream of having Kelly's mad skillz.

Kelly is super good at looking like she cares, but I'm not sure she actually cares more than someone like Michelle. Michael potty trained all the kids and I think did a lot of the homeschooling. 

And yes, Jill Rod only wishes she could be like Gil and Kelly. Jill is not a smooth grifter at all. 

I don't think they have to get married in a church, but consider it just from a logistical point of view: they regularly invite 1000+ people to their weddings. That's a lot of people to line up in rows of chairs for an outdoor wedding. It's far too many people to pack into a quaint country church. Any other venue that can accommodate that many people is likely going to be more expensive than a church - plus, if it's their own church, they almost always get built-in help with the wedding from the congregation.

I get the church thing. Nearly every wedding I have been to has been in a church but most of those weddings were for regular churchgoers who wanted to be married in their church.  I would not be married outside the church because I have always wanted to be married in church. I would rather change my decor to fit the church than find a location outside of a church just to fit the decor.  For some, it is just important to be married in the church. I just have never understood the whole church shopping for a venue. It just screams that your church is good enough for pretty wedding pictures but not good enough to regularly attend. 

I watched the rerun, thinking I'd try to keep track of the number of times Gil said he wanted to cry, was going to cry, was about to cry, etc.  Lost count though.  Such a sensitive man.

Hey Gil - when you heard the accusations of all those young women against Gothard...did you cry?

2 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I wanna front hug like an animal, I've only felt you from the left side...

:clap:

You get me closer to god, indeed!

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived