IGNORED

Bates Family Part 8

Coconut Flan

I just read all 20 pages here because I lost track after the thread changed. Now that I have made it through, I am really surprised that no attention has been given to the damn striped maxi skirt that all the fundies seem to love so much and that dominated so much FJ conversation last summer. There are actually really beautiful maxi skirt options. When will we see the end of this unflattering pattern?

Spoiler

56bb6f1691d6d_ScreenShot2016-02-10at5.02

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see what's wrong with Chevron maxi skirts. I own two myself. They're pretty, generally flattering, and go with a wide variety of shirts. Why the hate on maxi skirts?

The last thing I want to do is resurrect the maxi skirt/dress debate (apparently there are areas of North America where the maxi trend never caught on - I'll take their word for it) - but the striped skirts have become super common over the past couple years, definitely not just amongst fundies. They're not my style personally, but I see them everywhere, and there are no fundies (not of that variety, anyway) where I live. Fundies love maxi skirts for obvious reasons, and I doubt they have any particular love for stripes, they're just buying what's available.

On the rare occasion I wear skirts, they're maxi skirts. I live in a place where they're popular. The fundie women rarely get to take part in fashion trends, so I think they run with it when they can. They can go into Target or wherever and buy something off the rack and not have to modify it and they probably love that. Chevron print and stripes are pretty common in those skirts, otherwise they're usually just one color. 

9 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

I don't see what's wrong with Chevron maxi skirts. I own two myself. They're pretty, generally flattering, and go with a wide variety of shirts. Why the hate on maxi skirts?

I think Missegeno means the proliferation of them; like the denim skirts, we might be getting a little tired of seeing the same thing on so many of these women. 

Like you, I love my maxi skirts, and i have about 7 or 8, and 2 are striped.  As a former-Catholic-turned-atheist, I'm just girly so i like skirts, and right now I'm into maxi's.  my mom and sister have always been a little tom-boyish, so i spent my childhood being steered away from dresses/skirts.  when i moved out at 22, my wardrobe gradually gave over to them; i haven't owned a pair of jeans since around 1994 (i do wear pants, but i favor either dress pants or yoga-style).

2 hours ago, catlady said:

I think Missegeno means the proliferation of them; like the denim skirts, we might be getting a little tired of seeing the same thing on so many of these women. 

Like you, I love my maxi skirts, and i have about 7 or 8, and 2 are striped.  As a former-Catholic-turned-atheist, I'm just girly so i like skirts, and right now I'm into maxi's.  my mom and sister have always been a little tom-boyish, so i spent my childhood being steered away from dresses/skirts.  when i moved out at 22, my wardrobe gradually gave over to them; i haven't owned a pair of jeans since around 1994 (i do wear pants, but i favor either dress pants or yoga-style).

You must be my lost twin sister. I, too, own 99% skirts. And I love the skirt on that Sierra-equivalent whose name I forgot. She did a much better job than Sierra, though, 

37 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

Ever since I found FJ I have become really self conscious about wearing maxi skirts lest I look like a kool aid drinker.  LOL.  

Mine are pretty hippie-ish so I hope that no one would think I'm fundie.

I don't own a single pair of denim jeans, not for fundie reasons I just find leggings or skirts more comfortable. That said I hate maxi skirts for the purely selfish reason that I am too short to find any that fit me well. I did buy one when they first started to gain popularity to use as a strapless dress though. 

1 hour ago, QuiverDance said:

Ever since I found FJ I have become really self conscious about wearing maxi skirts lest I look like a kool aid drinker.  LOL.  

I've only started wearing them since I've been on FJ and people said how much they liked them. My mum offered me 3 that no longer fit her and now I practically live in maxi skirts (its summer here which means I can go days without shaving my legs). I wear them with things like my Se7en Deadly tops. At the moment I'm wearing a black maxi with a grey top that says 'Free Mind, Born to be Wild' with a bald eagle and American flags. No one would ever confuse me for a fundie.

1 hour ago, tumblr said:

I don't own a single pair of denim jeans, not for fundie reasons I just find leggings or skirts more comfortable. That said I hate maxi skirts for the purely selfish reason that I am too short to find any that fit me well. I did buy one when they first started to gain popularity to use as a strapless dress though. 

Same here! I only wear pants for exercise or archaeology. I just don't find them comfortable (and for me, they're just not flattering. I have never been able to find a pair that didn't make me look like a dumpling).

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived