IGNORED

Bates Family Part 8

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I agree about the better editing, but thought it seemed better to the point of hiding most of the wedding.  Where were the cult essentials?  We saw the hall, preparations, and some guests (but not Josh Duggar or anyone especially "interesting").  We saw parents standing by the happy couple, candles being lit, final vows being made, and Michael getting kissed by Daddy and Brandon.  We didn't hear lectures about the wife's obedience to the husband or the transfer of authority from father to husband, though I'm sure they were covered in some detail.  We didn't, far as I can tell, see IBLP top brass - though they must have been around since Gil is on the Board.  Gothard?  Not a glimpse.  Spreading their version of Christianity throughout the world?  Didn't hear about it.

Brandon did mention that his "bible college teacher," a Dr. Davis, officiated the wedding with Gil, and he was shown on camera. I'm 99.9% certain Brandon went to an IBLP bible indoctrination camp college, IMI. Here's a link to IMI with a bio on Dr. Mike Davis: http://ati.iblp.org/ati/students/opportunities/imi/overview/ 

UP can keep trying to hide the truth, but it won't work in the end.

PS: the episode was nearly as boring and eyeroll-inducing as a Duggar wedding, imo

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brandon waited to get married until he finished bible school. Brandon waited until he got married to kiss Michael.

Is it possible that Brandon told Michael they could wait to consummate the marriage until they were both ready and that's why she wasn't nervous? If so, there would have been no expectations on Michael and she could just enjoy her wedding.

4 minutes ago, moreorlessnu said:

Brandon waited to get married until he finished bible school. Brandon waited until he got married to kiss Michael.

Is it possible that Brandon told Michael they could wait to consummate the marriage until they were both ready and that's why she wasn't nervous? If so, there would have been no expectations on Michael and she could just enjoy her wedding.

This probably isn't very likely as it seems to go against the grain of ATI\IBLP but it is certainly sweet. It could also explain the lack of honeymoon baby. 

Agreed, but having a 5 year courtship also goes against their beliefs, but Brandon did what was right for Brandon.

41 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

I think the saddest part of Michaella's wedding was watching poor Callie crying hysterically over her sister getting married. 

I wonder what happens after these little ones lose their sister-moms - are they assigned a new one or do they have to recruit for themselves?

2 hours ago, snarkykitty said:

This page just brought up a bunch of splash pages - one wanted me to update flash, another to some different site, then another to a login page. More than 30 popup pages in all. WTF??

Anyone have a direct link?

I just watched it through that link, and it worked for me :)

I bet they just have to wander over to whatever sistermoms are left and hope the one they want most wants them back. But, part of me really hopes Kelly just takes back over as mom. I doubt it, but wishful thinking. 

12 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

I wonder what happens after these little ones lose their sister-moms - are they assigned a new one or do they have to recruit for themselves?

I'm not sure!!  In the Bates' house Michaella's was the second mother I think it was hard for her to leave them. 

6 minutes ago, HRM1216 said:

I bet they just have to wander over to whatever sistermoms are left and hope the one they want most wants them back. But, part of me really hopes Kelly just takes back over as mom. I doubt it, but wishful thinking. 

Don't be silly, Tori is taking over parenting duties!

22 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

I mean, if the Duggars are any indication, then it kinda depends on the overall buddy team. Joy just assumed Jill's duties, while Jessa seems to keep up some connection with Justin and Jordyn (I'm sure Jana does most of the day-to-day stuff, though).

I was just looking though the list of the kids about their dates of birth. I didn't realize how close in age so many of are (at least in the first half of the kids.). 

Just watched the episode...and man am I glad my religion doesn't allow family members to officiate weddings. Gil going in for the first kiss made me cringe.

36 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Don't be silly, Tori is taking over parenting duties!

For now.  Evidently Tori is the biggest flirt of the Bates (they've said this in talking heads).  She seems close to her sisters and in no rush to leave, but if they put too much work on her, she might pull an Alyssa!

3 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

For now.  Evidently Tori is the biggest flirt of the Bates (they've said this in talking heads).  She seems close to her sisters and in no rush to leave, but if they put too much work on her, she might pull an Alyssa!

She definitely is the spunky one of the bunch, and the Bates aren't short on personality in general. 

2 hours ago, tumblr said:

This probably isn't very likely as it seems to go against the grain of ATI\IBLP but it is certainly sweet. It could also explain the lack of honeymoon baby. 

If we are to use ATI standard, than frontal hugging would be a no no in courtship and probably asking to court over the phone rather the formal production. So.....

In the episode where Tori was shown at Crown College, they mentioned she was the main teacher now.  Isn't she studying education at Crown?  She may be the "next in line" of the girls (at 20 she is already older than Alyssa was when Alyssa was already married), but she does seem to have a few goals in regard to the only kind of higher education open to her.  At least Crown, for all of his shortcomings, exposes her to others her age and gets her outside of the house sometimes.

And for all of my following of the Bates family for the past number of years, how did I never know that Lawson and Nathan are actually their respective middle names, yet Trace is his respective first name?  Interesting...

1 hour ago, Jana814 said:

I was just looking though the list of the kids about their dates of birth. I didn't realize how close in age so many of are (at least in the first half of the kids.). 

No rusty bedsprings during those years...

2 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

No rusty bedsprings during those years...

I only have one kid.  I can't imagine the sheer exhaustion of having that many kids so close together.  At least with the younger ones they have older buddies (good for the parents, bad for the older sister-moms).  Does Kelly have a "helpful laundry savior" story like Michelle does?

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 7:42 PM, Exjw2015deed said:

I think Michael reminded me of Jill at her wedding. All the younger kids took it really hard that she was leaving and she was happy as ever. They both seemed emotionless, like their indentured servitude is complete and now they can make babies and cook in peace. Jill is clearly Jim bobs favorite as Michael is Gil's. I don't think Jill cried once at her wedding, not even as she was leaving. Callie cried hysterically to the point where it was hard to watch, much like Jenny. 

Like even pout faced Jessa cried as she said goodbye to Jim bob and Michelle. But Jill just hopped into the truck. 

Michael reminded me of Jill at her wedding a bit too, but I don't think either of the young women were actually "emotionless" in terms of leaving their sister/daughters. I think they both had too many contrasting emotions to be able to display them all at once. I mean, how can you possibly look broken and heartsick at leaving your daughter while also look thrilled and happy about marrying someone you love? I would look exactly like them - as I was supposed to (and they were supposed to, after years of waiting for their Prince Charmings), and feel so overwhelmed that nothing not allowed would show. That's what they've done all their lives - look and play the part. Jill and Michael have never been allowed to be hysterical, so I don't expect that from them at all. I think they were both utterly crushed about Jennie/Callie, and visit/talk to their sister/daughters as much as possible - it's what their instagrams/blogs show. Are they happy too? Of course. So what are they supposed to do? "Smile, it's your wedding" ... and they did.

On 2/6/2016 at 0:45 PM, OperaRocks said:

I'm searching, too. Usually [redacted] and [redacted] have multiple links. UP must have a tight handle on this episode. Please advise should you find a link. Thanks :my_cool:

[Redacted]

IIRC Kelly said something along the lines of when a Sister mom gets married she tries to support the little one(s) who are left behind. I believe I heard her say something about comforting Callie. I don't remember which episode, but it was in season three as they were talking about Michael.  

How can anyone say Michael was emotionless? She tried so hard not to break into tears a few minutes before the ceremony and even told her mother that seeing Callie cry so badly breaks her heart. It also broke mine watching them. She was so gentle and comforting with Callie the entire time until she got into the getaway car. However, Michael did not leave her daughter. She moved out when she got married and her little sisters had to stay behind. It's a normal turn of life even for non-fundie families. Callie still has her mother, and it's up to Kelly to make sure that Callie does not feel a parental loss. 

Pretty sure I saw Mr Jim the Duggar sound guy in one shot

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived