IGNORED

Sierra Jo Dominguez Abysmal Wedding Planner Part 2

Coconut Flan

50 minutes ago, Tiny Bubbles said:

We ALL do our own laundrey in the Bubbles household. When the Bubblettes reached 13 they were introduced to the washer and dryer and that was that. Welcome to your teens, ha!  

Sure they were a little less than perfectly attired for a few years, but really folks, it ain't rocket science.  

I confess I do iron my clothes, btw.  Must run in the family - my sister irons her SHEETS. 

You don't? It's the best feeling in the world. Wrinkly sheets suck

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Tiny Bubbles said:

We ALL do our own laundrey in the Bubbles household. When the Bubblettes reached 13 they were introduced to the washer and dryer and that was that. Welcome to your teens, ha!  

Sure they were a little less than perfectly attired for a few years, but really folks, it ain't rocket science.  

I confess I do iron my clothes, btw.  Must run in the family - my sister irons her SHEETS. 

Wow, they didn't have to until they were 13? Lucky! My sister and I had to start around 7 or 8.

4 minutes ago, Tiny Bubbles said:

Wow, kudos @withaj! I'm impressed!

Oh, we don't deserve kudos -- we probably fought it tooth and nail! Almost 20 years later I do still prefer doing my own laundry though, even if I put it off as long as humanly possible... 

I say this having just caved and done 4 loads -- the past month's worth.

7 minutes ago, Tiny Bubbles said:

@Fundie Bunny, Mr B said "Nah" when I asked if he'd consider ironing our sheets.  

Maybe when he's away I'll give it a shot, though!

I'm glad he took it that well.  I was honestly concerned for your safety that you were going to ask him to iron the sheets! :pb_lol:

My mom did my laundry my whole life until I went off to college. I remember feeling like an idiot having to learn the basics about it in the dorms. Ha! Now, I wouldn't want anyone but myself doing my laundry. I did my husbands for a while just because I really don't mind laundry and I offered. Then I just got sick of it so he does his own. His mom had him doing his own laundry by age 8 or so, I think. I'll probably split the difference between our upbringings and make sure my son is doing his own by 13 or so. Right now he's two and he loves helping me put stuff in the dryer. I'm sure the enthusiasm will fade soon though.

If people get sick of the duggars, I could definitely see Sierra getting a show on TLC at some point. Yuck. Not sure I could handle her fakeness for an entire hour.

I had to start doing my own laundry in fifth grade.  I don't mind doing laundry at all.  I actually like folding clothes too.  But I hate that where I live now, I have to go down four flights of stairs, cross the street, and use the laundromat, then carry it all back four flights up.  It is literally a work out.

When my son was 8 he watched Home Alone, and was impressed that the kid did his own laundry. He wanted to learn how. Yay. Never did laundry for him till he went to college. Sometimes I'd do it when he came home for vacation. He can also iron a shirt, but his wife must have taught him that.

I do the laundry and Husband does the dishes...because I hate doing dishes with the fire of a thousand suns, and he doesn't mind :my_cool: Occasionally our younger cat will get interested in helping too hehe.

As for ironing...I iron sewing/quilting projects, and nothing else :my_biggrin:

11855896_10102196085364678_7061032816238172416_n.jpg

11 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

When my son was 8 he watched Home Alone, and was impressed that the kid did his own laundry. He wanted to learn how. Yay. Never did laundry for him till he went to college. Sometimes I'd do it when he came home for vacation. He can also iron a shirt, but his wife must have taught him that.

So sorry! I'm on my phone and I accidentally hit the flag and I think I may have reported this post. Mods, please ignore! 

I'm pro-people doing their own laundry!

5 minutes ago, Hera said:

So sorry! I'm on my phone and I accidentally hit the flag and I think I may have reported this post. Mods, please ignore! 

I'm pro-people doing their own laundry!

Don't worry about it. I'm sure it will get sorted out. Hopfully, I won't get sent to the prayer closet.

"Welcome home, numbnuts! Any ideas for scandal number three?"

I started doing the family laundry when I was eight, when my sister left home (This was the early sixties,no one even THOUGHT that my older  brother should do it).

I went to a council laundry, which amongst other things had a huge rotary iron for sheets, towels, - anything with no zips. Since then, I have never slept in unironed sheets.

BUT when we got out own washing machine, my Mum taught me to fold the sheets, and put them on the ironing board under whatever was being ironed, and move after every garment. They were underneath as we ironed everything else - and I will NOT sleep with an unironed sheet, when it actually takes no  extra effort at all!

On 2/19/2016 at 6:28 AM, Shoobydoo said:

Am I the only one who just uses a makeshift double boiler? I just bought a little aluminum bowl and plop it on top of a saucepan with a little water in it. The steam keeps it nice and melty for as long as you need. I'm always afraid the chocolate will seize if I microwave it, so I do it the old-fashioned way...

I do this! Have done it this way for years. It works great! 

As an aside on walmart, I had crying twins in Walmart with cranky toddlers in tow and got told by someone "if you this is hard now, just wait until they  are all teens". Such an awful.thing to say to a struggling mom. 

I am happy to report that my teens are (mostly) wonderful and life is much easier when kids are older. 

I at least had.the good sense to get myself fixed after 5 kids in 4.5 years...had hit my limit and knew it!

4 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

I don't know how someone can live without a washing machine. I love living were I do

For a couple years in college I lived in apartment with no washing machine. I hated going to the laundry mat (never was sure how to spell that.) Thankfully it was just me so I didn't have to go too often. It would have been awful when we had our son though. We did multiple loads a day. Not fun.

And some of you iron sheets?? I've never ironed a sheet in my life. Ours aren't wrinkly at all though. They go straight from the dryer to the bed. If the stop sheet is wrinkled I guess I wouldn't really notice anyway since there is a blanket on top.

To the people who have a 'each to their own' laundry rule: how does that work exactly? do you ever fight over the machine? do you still color sort your clothing? Does that rule count for towels and bed linen too?

We do have an "each to their own" ironing rule. His pile is three times higher than the basket it is in. Otherwise I generally do all the laundry. If I only did mine I would have to wait a month to have enough dark clothing to warrant a load, to me it's more efficient to just chuck my dark stuff in with his dark stuff.    I don't even have enough red tones to make up a half load.

My aunt used to iron underwear and socks. I kid you not. She was horrified that I generally don't iron anything unless it is special work clothing

And all this laundry talk reminds me I need to put some on :chores-laundry:

I throw my sons stuff in with mine so I typically have enough for a full load every other day. It's all the non-white stuff. I do all of the family white stuff together once a week. It's a smaller load of mostly socks and a couple towels.

We never have to fight over the machine since we're just 2 adults and a toddler.

I am the one who washes the towels and bed linens. (Then it's my husbands job to make the bed.)

We hang out our clothes, even in the winter. Never felt the need to iron the sheets. They smell wonderful right off the line.

49 minutes ago, OnceUponATime said:

To the people who have a 'each to their own' laundry rule: how does that work exactly? do you ever fight over the machine? do you still color sort your clothing? Does that rule count for towels and bed linen too?

Generally, we work it out by talking to each other and figuring out who needs clean clothes sooner. Not the most efficient way by any stretch, but it works for us. :P

I don't color-sort; I just put everything on cold/delicate, then on low or medium (towels for the latter) unless it's line-dry. My sister and I trade off doing the towels so it's somewhat fair, since we have a lot of towels.

So, I just bought a dryer. Never ever needed one before, as I live in a warm place and in a ninth flor (solar dryer is still the Best for me). What do you have to do so the clothes do get Super wrinkly in the dryer?

(I just love thread drift)

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived