IGNORED

Bates Family Part 7

Boogalou

With the Bates having their own TV show (Bringing UP Bates) and many branching off starting their own families I think they need their own area like the Duggars have. A "Quiver Full of Bates" forum. What do you think? 

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, GreenTea said:

With the Bates having their own TV show (Bringing UP Bates) and many branching off starting their own families I think they need their own area like the Duggars have. A "Quiver Full of Bates" forum. What do you think? 

I'd like that. It's kinda hard keeping up with all of them when it's all one thread. Though where would Duggar/Bates courtship speculation go?

I grew up in NYC, and there are some really great aspects to growing up/living there.  But I personally couldn't wait to leave at 18.  I moved to a smallish city in the Pacific Northwest, and now I live in a small town in western NYS, and I've loved living in both places.  Ashley might really love TN, but no matter what at first it would most likely be a big change and a major culture shock for her.  It was for me!

2 hours ago, Snarkle said:

I'd give Gil's sister-in-law Casey some slack.  I have been reading her blog for a long time now and it's a nice back door into Gil & Kelly's family.  They are the "normal" cousins although they homeschool as well.  My guess is that Casey misspoke there and will realize it later - she usually posts every few weeks or so, but she said she had considered shutting down the blog completely (noooooo!) but her daughter asked her to keep it up so she posted three months' worth of things in one week.  Casey is a good contrast to the homeschool "program" Kelly uses, and does consult with Kelly as well as suggesting things to Kelly for the older kids.  Casey may homeschool, but as mentioned she uses decent curricula and her kids are in a LOT of activities with other kids - theatre and summer camps - and they wear shorts and regular swimsuits.  I always hope they will influence some of their Bates cousins to leave the nest and be less fundie.

Those kids always seem to be having so much fun, doing musical theatre, playing with their toys, taking care of their animals, and just being kids. There are a lot of photos of them doing activities together, yet at the same time we also see them hanging out with friends their own age.

57 minutes ago, AbandonAllHope said:

I grew up in NYC, and there are some really great aspects to growing up/living there.  But I personally couldn't wait to leave at 18.  I moved to a smallish city in the Pacific Northwest, and now I live in a small town in western NYS, and I've loved living in both places.  Ashley might really love TN, but no matter what at first it would most likely be a big change and a major culture shock for her.  It was for me!

My sister lives there and we've visited her. I didn't like it at all. Adelaide is 1/8th the size and there wasn't anything in NYC that we don't have. In fact there were only two things they had that we don't that I liked.

1.)Good public transport- my parents took my nephews and caught a taxi from Harlem back to my sister's on the UES and my sister and I walked a kilometre then caught the subway and got back first. 

2.) It's more America in general but I love the jeans at Old Navy. My mum visited my sister this year and I got her to pick some up for me.

Personally I think NYC really isn't a good place to raise a family. My sister's family has 4 people in a small 2 bedroom apartment and the boys go stir-crazy. I couldn't imagine being able to raise a large fundie-sized family there. 

1 hour ago, Alye said:

Personally I think NYC really isn't a good place to raise a family. 

I lived on Staten Island, we had a smallish house with no property whatsoever.  There are some nice things about growing up there. As a kid, I went to tons of museums, and shows, and special events.  There's a lot of culture, which can be hard to get sometimes in small towns (we have very little where I live now).  And, as you said, the public transportation is really good (I didn't learn to drive until I was 19 and had moved away).  

But I don't think it's a great place to raise kids either.  It was very expensive, and crowded and congested.  I have asthma and could barely breathe in the summer.  The public schools weren't great, and I went catholic schools, mostly.  I would have been better off living an hour or so away and going into the city for special things more sporadically, I think. I can't imagine raising a large family there either, but it can be done.  A girl in my elementary school was the second youngest of 7 kids, and this was in the '90s, so not ancient history.  It would be harder to do in Manhattan though.

Michaella looks thin (not in a bad way) in her recent pictures.  I watched a few episodes of "United Bates of America" on YouTube this weekend and she had more meat on her back then.

Again, not dissing on the girl.  I think she is very pretty and I certainly think marriage is agreeing with her.

10 hours ago, LovelyLuna said:

These two have trouble coloring outside of the lines. I feel that they will be very strict and legalistic parents. 

Michael said she planned on being strict in one of the early BUB episodes. She was glad her parents were so strict and wanted to do the same with her children. I'm guessing this includes blanket training :my_sad:

This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but Michael annoys me. She just seems so much more sanctimonious than the rest of her siblings. Plus, and I know this the result of her upbringing, she acted so immature during her courtship. For instance, her reaction to Tori touching Brandon in one episode. Tori was behaving like an annoying younger sister, but Michael acted like Tori was going to steal her boyfriend! I do like Brandon for some reason. He seems very quiet and thoughtful. It's unfortunate he's so involved with ATI, though. I think he and Michael are going to remain the most fundie out of all the Bates couples because of it.

Some of Michael's behavior as an adult is probably because she was the oldest girl.  She may have turned out sanctimonious in any family anyway, but as the oldest girl she has shouldered a lot of responsibility (such as potty training the other kids) that the younger girls like Tori and Carlin did not have to do as much of.  She is a typical oldest sibling sort of responsible - to the point probably of being judgmental - but this is the first time in her whole life she is living in a small household with fewer responsibilities, so she may be finding her way.  As for Tori, she seems pretty flirty for a fundie girl and things may have happened off camera (such as her being too "handsy"), so while Michael came off uptight in that scene with the inflatable slide, there might have been a reason (or edited that way).  Now do I agree with how she wants to raise her children or her lifestyle?  Absolutely not! 

About the Tori touching Brandon thing... look at it this way.  If a girl he's about to propose to can't touch him, why should her sister?  I can see where she's coming from, and it paints a clear picture of what's wrong with forbidding touch before marriage  (although the Bates are 10 times better than the Duggars in that way).  At least she was able to front hug the shit out of him when he proposed.

I would totally steal that black dress from her closet.  That is really cute.  I don't think I ever saw her wearing anything other than ankle length dresses/skirs until she got engaged, and I'm glad she's branching out a little (I'm not counting the vintage pics when she was little).  That pic also told me that she was not pregnant.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Michaela and Brandon front hug? I seem to remember an interview with her basically going "I want to touch him, and I'm going to". At least, they fronthugged full on when he came to visit (and no accident either!), which were before the proposal, and they sat next to each other with linked arms in the car. 

All of this happened in the first season of BUB. 

And I agree, she looks slimmer. It might just be the angle of the photo, and a flattering dress, but I think she has lost weight. My guess is changes in diet since the marriage and moving away from home.

9 hours ago, GreenTea said:

I'd like that. I'm becoming far more interested in discussing them than the duggars, probably because the duggars are basically in hinding right now

21 minutes ago, Thorns said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Michaela and Brandon front hug? I seem to remember an interview with her basically going "I want to touch him, and I'm going to". At least, they fronthugged full on when he came to visit (and no accident either!), which were before the proposal, and they sat next to each other with linked arms in the car. 

And I agree, she looks slimmer. It might just be the angle of the photo, and a flattering dress, but I think she has lost weight. My guess is changes in diet since the marriage and moving away from home.

Yes, she said that she hugged everyone, so she wasn't not going to hug the guy she's courting.

In the last thread @accountingstar did a recap of one of the episodes and asked this question:

During an interview, Erin has Carson on his stomach on lying across her knees and she is lightly hitting his back. Is that common for burping?

Yes, that is common for burping. Some kids need to laydown to burp, others are up and over the shoulder and others are forward with your hand on their tummy. One of my kids I felt like I was beating* because she would not burp but then she would be so uncomfortable that I knew she needed to burp. Of course, when she finally relaxed and burped she was very happy.

*No I didn't beat her, it just felt like it because I had to hit her back harder than I did my other child.

I don't think we need a forum for the Bates family. They're not nearly as well known as the Duggars, and don't generate nearly as much discussion. I understand the need for the Duggar forum, but I also know that upon its inception it was overrun with petty gossip, 'blind items', gross speculation, catty bullshit, and general scrapings from the bottom of the barrel. It needs to exist because otherwise QFOS would be overrun completely, but it's also something of a monster. I think the general Bates discussion thread, plus extra threads for significant events such as weddings, births or scandals are sufficient. 

31 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

In the last thread @accountingstar did a recap of one of the episodes and asked this question:

Yes, that is common for burping. Some kids need to laydown to burp, others are up and over the shoulder and others are forward with your hand on their tummy. One of my kids I felt like I was beating* because she would not burp but then she would be so uncomfortable that I knew she needed to burp. Of course, when she finally relaxed and burped she was very happy.

*No I didn't beat her, it just felt like it because I had to hit her back harder than I did my other child.

It can also be done to relax the child, some like that type of movement. My child more or less never burped but would like it as a relaxation. 

41 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

They've discussed before that Carson is collicky so maybe that position keeps him calm.

I agree that we don't need a separate sub-forum for the Bates.  I don't think there's enough posts here to warrant that.

2 hours ago, Thorns said:

I imagine her diet has improved quite a bit- she doesn't have to cook in bulk anymore, making healthier, more involved meals an option now. 

On 1/9/2016 at 3:06 PM, Exjw2015deed said:

Random but I'm from the New York tri-state area and could never imagine moving to Tennessee. I don't see Ashley, a bi-lingual New Yorker who travels all the time moving to the south and settling with Nathan. I think she wouldn't like the southern farm life the bates seem to have: We'll see. 

Maybe, but she's both sheltered and was raised in a very religious framework, so who knows?  Nashville is not NYC, but there are definitely urban amenities to be had in Tennessee, both in Nashville and to a lesser degree in Knoxville.  Nashville is a great mix of big city/small town, and people are moving there in droves. There is also a lot of economic opportunity. There is so much to do culturally, with the added benefit of really great scchools and zero crime. Tennessee's rural areas can be a bit homogeneous and backwards (and meth-infested, sadly, as someone mentioned), but its cities are thriving and growing and becoming more diverse.  Also:  Tennessee is a Christian Fundamentalist's dream.   I can see it.  (I live in Nashville, and really love it.)

My sister is also bilingual and lived in a huge metropolis for years. She's very liberal and culturally minded. There were things about the city that she loved, but many things she came to absolutely hate as well. You can't assume that just because someone's from a large city and appears to enjoy it, that they'd be miserable anywhere else. There are people who love the city but would also love to move to a cabin in the wilderness, and without knowing them personally or hearing them specifically talk about where they want to live, it's impossible to say.

If this Ashley girl is into the Fundie nonsense enough to be pursuing a relationship with a Bates boy, she's into it enough to make herself "find her contentment" (As Jill Duggar would say) in a rural setting instead of an urban one if that's what she ultimately had to do.

3 hours ago, IzzyM said:

For the record, Zach and Whitney's baby is due on June 25th. She's 16 weeks now.

Source?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived