IGNORED

What are you Reading (Part 2)?

keen23

I am reading "Collected Stories" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.  It is a collection that combines 3 of his smaller collections and is translated to English. So far, I read the first "part," and some stories I enjoyed immensely, while others left me feeling meh. But I do like it and look forward to reading the other two parts.

• Upvote 2

"How the States Got Their Shapes" by Mark Stein is a very interesting read.  It starts out with an overview of the major border agreements, and then goes alphabetically with state-by-state explanations of how the borders were set.  Lots of maps and commentary, with tongue-in-cheek humor.  Easy, bare bones style of writing which points you in the direction of further research if you are interested.

I can't remember how I heard about this book, but my husband reports that there is a television series by that name (now on Netflix), so we'll probably be watching that at some point.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

Summertime is when I loll in the sun and read lightweight novels between naps.  Historical fiction novelist Elizabeth Chadwick is a good read for these times, and I should have just stopped reading at "The End," but then I wouldn't have have the following tidbit to share.

From the Author's Note in For the King's Favor [Not a full quote, just highlights]:

I have... used the Akashic Records as one thread of numerous sources of research ... this is a belief that each person leaves an indelible record of themselves impressed upon sub-atomic material and that this record can be accessed if one has the ability to tune in at that particular vibrational level.

The author then goes on to explain how she employed an Akashic consultant to flesh out her characters.  Well, now, this was something I haven't seen before -- or have I?  A brief glance at Wikipedia (I know, I know) associates Akashic Records with Theosophy, Steiner and the Aquarian Gospel of Jesus.  And these are the movements (among others) the more *ahem* interesting branch of my family devoted itself to.  Sigh, I should have stopped while I was ahead.

:smiley-signs131:

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I finished Beloved by Toni Morrison a while ago this summer. I had heard what a dark book it was, and while I had some confusion reading certain flashback parts, I was positively creeped out by the detailed paragraphs of slavery. It was a good read and Beloved the character had me thinking about who she was and what she symbolized.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I just finished Memoirs of a Geisha a few minutes ago.  Loved it.  I'm going to have a hard time figuring out what to read next.

• Upvote 7

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished A Man Called Ove.  Everyone seems to love this one, but it was just okay to me.

On 9/28/2016 at 8:53 AM, Elvis Presby said:

I just finished Memoirs of a Geisha a few minutes ago.  Loved it.  I'm going to have a hard time figuring out what to read next.

I loved Memoirs of a Geisha. Have you read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See? You might enjoy that one too.

I recently finished Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo, a true story about  life in a Mumbai undercity. I always try to be aware of my privilege, but this book underscored so many aspects of life that I take for granted.

I'm currently reading On Wings of Eagles by Ken Follett.

• Upvote 1

Finished the audio of Brad Meltzer's House of Secrets - which I really enjoyed.

also finished (finally) Diane Chamberlain's The Secret Life of Cee Cee Wilkes.  

On October 9, 2016 at 11:04 PM, Kailash said:

I loved Memoirs of a Geisha. Have you read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See? You might enjoy that one too.

I recently finished Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo, a true story about  life in a Mumbai undercity. I always try to be aware of my privilege, but this book underscored so many aspects of life that I take for granted.

I'm currently reading On Wings of Eagles by Ken Follett.

I did read that one and liked it very much!  

Ken Follett is one of my favorites.  The Pillars of the Earth is one of my very favorite books ever.  

• Upvote 3

I recently finished "The Bone Clocks," "One Night in Winter," and "Angela's Ashes" (which I subsequently left on a plane and had to track down a copy at a used bookstore to finish.) 

I highly recommend "One Night in Winter" to anyone who is interested in Russian History/Historical fiction. 

• Upvote 1

The Girls (about sex cult murder thing in late 60s) well written beachy type read.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read "The Wolves of Midwinter" by Anne Rice, & I liked it a lot (the first book in that series, "The Wolf Gift", was good, too). I tried to read "Prince Lestat", & I just can't get into it. I LOVE Anne's Vampire books, & have read almost all of them, but PL isn't catching my interest (& the sequel "Prince Lestat and  The Realms of Atlantis" is coming out soon). I'll give it another try.  :: shrugs ::

Edited by LadyCrow1313
caffeine should be at hand when posting
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Obviously I am up too late and posting too......I'm currently reading the newest book in the Throne of Glass series-Empire of Storms while waiting for the next book in her other series to come out. I love other take on fairy tales;Sarah Maas' other series is a retelling of Beauty and The Beast and Tam-lin. The name of the series and title of the first book is a Court of Thorns and Roses.

Taking me outside my typical reading experience, on the recommendation of a friend I read Thru-Hiking Will Break Your Heart: An Adventure on the Pacific Crest Trail by Carrot Quinn.  I read Wild  by Cheryl Strayed when it first came out (and later watched the movie), but Thru-Hiking made me feel like I was along for the ride, so to speak.  The author wrestles with some of her issues (which may be of particular interest to FJers) along the trail, but the Trail (capital T) and the physical/mental challenge are really the focus. 

After reading, I checked out the author's website.  She's still out there, hiking and posting glorious photos.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On September 28, 2016 at 8:53 AM, Elvis Presby said:

I read that ages ago and loved it. The thrift store near me had several copies of it and I passed but now I want to read it again.

On October 16, 2016 at 1:43 AM, Maggie Mae said:

I recently finished "The Bone Clocks," "One Night in Winter," and "Angela's Ashes" (which I subsequently left on a plane and had to track down a copy at a used bookstore to finish.) 

I highly recommend "One Night in Winter" to anyone who is interested in Russian History/Historical fiction. 

Thank you for the Russian historical fiction suggestion. I recently started looking for some, I must of forgot, I don't think I came up with much. 

• Upvote 1

Currently reading "One Good Dog" by Susan Wilson.  Modern day successful man hits rock bottom and a dog helps him get perspective.  Funny and painful.

• Upvote 1

I recently read Chasing the Scream by Johann Hari, about the war on drugs. I found it an amazing read, and it definitely convinced me of the importance of legalizing or at least decriminalizing drugs.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just started "Twelve Years A Slave."  Powerful and gripping.  I had to put it down to make supper.  

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

I just started "The Grapes of Wreath" by John Steinbeck and I'm deeply touched. It can be kind of hard for me to understand the dialogues, because english isn't my first language, but I enjoy reading it very much.

• Upvote 4

I just finished The Taming of The Queen by Phillippa Gregory and now I am rereading Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson series for light bedtime vacay reading.

• Upvote 2

@DaniLouisiana I've heard that The Taming of the Queen is very good. I'm excited to read it.

Right now I'm reading  Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave. I adore it and have already checked out another book by the same author, with the intention of reading all his work.

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic