IGNORED

What are you Reading (Part 2)?

keen23

I just finished The Posioner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York. Cool read about the history of toxicology, worth look for the amateur sleuths out there.

• Upvote 2

Still working on Cahagan's Time Zero. It's turning into a pretty good book, and I'm super interested in the world-building aspect of it. I hope the rest of the book or the next one (I think this is going to be the requisite trilogy that everyone seems to write now) fills in the backstory of how Manhattan came to be so uber fundie religious.

When the book first mentioned The Prophet (who happens to be female), I immediately thought, "Lori Alexander." The society Cahagan is creating would be Lori's wet dream.

I've been listening to the audiobooks for the Maze Runner series. I'm like half way through scorch trials now. Very different from the movie so far.

• Upvote 1

I just finished Me Before You. 

Now I am on to 13 Reasons Why.

• Upvote 1

On May 26, 2016 at 1:35 AM, MarblesMom said:

I just finished Me Before You. 

Now I am on to 13 Reasons Why.

Have you heard the uproar from disability rights advocates/ disabled people about the Me Before You film?  It makes me want to avoid it frankly, not that it had much appeal anyway.

I haven't  heard about anyone being upset, but this doesn't surprise me completely.  People are pretty jumpy these days, on a variety of subjects....

I think there was a book before and after this one, too?

• Upvote 1

I've finally given up reading reading This side of paradise. I don't know who i need to pucnh stronger, the character or the author. How can someone be so fucking pretentious?

I'm currently reading; 

Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert - it's good but not quite living up to the hype for me

Ginger: My Story by Ginger Rogers - I'm only about 10 pages in but so far I'm really enjoying it 

Just finished: 

Carry On Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton - Not very good. This got great customer reviews online, but I didn't like it very much. 

I finally got around to reading Devoted.  I couldn't put it down.  I finished it in 4 hours.

I'm reading Rosemary The Hidden Kennedy Daughter by Kate Clifford Larson. So much of it is heartbreaking. Certain parts cause me physical pain and I have to take a break.

• Upvote 6

After 40+ years, I finally finished Conrad's Heart of Darkness. (Over the years I kept losing the damned book at the exact same spot until I finally gave up.) Picked up the audiobook which is read, or rather "performed" by Kenneth Branagh and despite some severe hamminess by Branagh, it was worth the wait.

Now listening to One Nation Under God: How Corporate America Invented Christian America by Kevin Kruse. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I'm waiting for my pre-ordered copy of Stephen King's End of Watch to arrive.  I should have said I'd pick it up at my local Barnes and Noble but I didn't. At least, I'll be finished with Finders Keepers by then.

Have you ever read a book and had the strangest feeling you've read it before?  For a change of pace from my usual mix of non-fiction and sci-fi, I read D.E. Stevenson's Celia's House.  It was a very enjoyable story in a cozy sort of way, but some of the characters and plot twists followed a familiar pattern:

Waif unloaded on richer relations.

Waif made to feel unneeded and different (not in unkindly way, especially by eldest son).

Waif secretly falls for eldest son, but knows they can never be together.

Waif agonizes when eldest son falls for women who is somewhat deceitful.

Waif becomes companion to mother of household, who becomes dazed and confused.

Deceitful woman's shortcomings exposed, eldest son realizes he loves waif.

Deceitful woman's brother, who earlier courted waif, runs away with married woman.

Waif and eldest son marry (despite being cousins).

Any guesses? 

Yep...Jane Austen's Mansfield Park.

• Upvote 2

A couple of nights back I started a horror book called My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix.  There are some fundie/Evangelical type characters in it. So far it's a fun read.

I *tried*to read "What Alice Forgot" by Liane Moriarty.  Dunno if it was her style, the book's style, or the content, but I just put it down.  Nope.

On 6/9/2016 at 10:26 PM, CTRLZero said:

Have you ever read a book and had the strangest feeling you've read it before? 

I have that feeling all the time. Unfortunately, in my case, it's because I have such a bad memory about the things that I read that I have been known to get 90% a book before realizing that I've read it before. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 2

On 6/11/2016 at 8:09 AM, RoseWilder said:

I have that feeling all the time. Unfortunately, in my case, it's because I have such a bad memory about the things that I read that I have been known to get 90% a book before realizing that I've read it before.

:pb_smile:   I save a lot of money on books this way.  My memory is terrible, so when (for example) I read through the Agatha Christie mysteries, I can never remember "whodunit." 

• Upvote 2

I have 45 pages left in The Book Thief.  Since I saw the movie before reading the book I find myself skimming and skipping parts and feeling a little bored by the story.

• 2 weeks later...

Thomas Frank's "Listen, Liberal." I keep saying I need to take a break from politics and read something fluffy but it ain't happenin'.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm re-reading the Anne of Green Gables series. And it's bringing back so many happy childhood memories. 

• Upvote 3

I am current;y reading 1776  by David McCullough.  It a bit of a follow-up to his magnificent bio of John Adams.  I love McCullough's books!  I took it with me on vacation in case I finished Duma Key by Stephen King which I did.  Left Duma Key in Old Forge for my son-in-law to read.

• Upvote 1

I just finished  Lies, Incorporated: The World of Post-Truth Politics by Ari Rabin-Havt and Media Matters and am about to start Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right.

Yeah, I need to get even more frustrated and infuriated with today's political machinations than I already am.

• Upvote 2

On 7/13/2016 at 11:49 PM, Caribou said:

I just finished  Lies, Incorporated: The World of Post-Truth Politics by Ari Rabin-Havt and Media Matters and am about to start Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right.

Yeah, I need to get even more frustrated and infuriated with today's political machinations than I already am.

Dark Money was excellent and yes, infuriating. I listened to the audiobook and the narrator read in a tone that dripped with utter contempt and disgust. It was awesome.

I took a break from all of the political stuff (I was getting stabby) and I'm now listening to Siddhartha Mukherjee's "The Gene: An Intimate History."  Fascinating. I always wanted to be some kind of scientist but my brain doesn't go that way. It's my biggest regret in life so I have to get my fix living vicariously through the accomplishments of others.

Next up is either Michio Kaku's "Parallel Worlds: A Journey Through Creation, Higher Dimensions, and the Future of the Cosmos" or Noam Chomsky's "Who Rules the World."

Edited by sparkles
  • Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic