IGNORED

Latest Maxwell Blog - Melanie Maxwell

skankbiscuit

This entire damn forum is based on people making opinions of other people based on what they see on the Internet.

Did you forget where the hell you were?

Guest Anonymous
This entire damn forum is based on people making opinions of other people based on what they see on the Internet.

And every time the opinions are on weight, we have a fight. It's like clockwork really, so if you remember where you are, I'm a little surprised you didn't expect it.

I'm not weighing (pun intended) in on the subject, but this generally goes the same way as a peanut butter thread. I.E. to hell in a handbasket on greased rails.

Does being thin have anything to do with patriarchy?

Guest Anonymous

Does being thin have anything to do with patriarchy?

Personally I think the Maxwell clan look fit and healthy right now. (I kind of envy them their commitment to exercise, even though I wouldn't trade lives with them for a nanosecond).

I also don't like to see people shamed over their weight, but I think there is a difference between shaming an individual and expressing concern.

Given that Steve seems to be quite controlling around food (eg he decided that there would be no meat in the weekly burrito recipe, he chose for the entire family, including the adults, to eat 2 animal crackers each, instead of cake on his birthday) and given that people in overly controlled environments can develop food issues, then I think it is reasonable for anyone who notices a change in weight/shape/size of one of the clan to wonder if there are underlying issues.

I don't think that being either fat or thin is necessarily related to patriarchy, but food issues (from comfort eating to restrictive eating) might well be used to exert control over an otherwise totally controlling environment. And that is the sort of thing that is interesting to me to discuss on FJ.

I don't read into these kind of threads as a judgement on ALL thin people or ALL fat people.

ETA: sorry for multiple edits. Sticky keyboard keys need a good clean.

Given that Steve seems to be quite controlling around food (eg he decided that there would be no meat in the weekly burrito recipe, he chose for the entire family, including the adults, to eat 2 animal crackers each, instead of cake on his birthday) and given that people in overly controlled environments can develop food issues, then I think it is reasonable for anyone who notices a change in weight/shape/size of one of the clan to wonder if there are underlying issues.

Two animal crackers each? What if someone wanted three? Guess that wouldn't have been allowed. Gahhh these people are insane...

Two animal crackers each? What if someone wanted three? Guess that wouldn't have been allowed. Gahhh these people are insane...

Two animal crackers for his 60th b-day? That is pretty indulgent for Steve.

Guest Anonymous

He cancelled the cake because the Lord told him he was getting a porky midriff. He allowed the animal crackers so they would have something to focus on when they sang 'Happy Birthday' to him.

Three? Shame on you, you glutton - go and sit in the prayer closet and recite scripture for an hour! :naughty: :lol:

Personally I think the Maxwell clan look fit and healthy right now. (I kind of envy them their commitment to exercise, even though I wouldn't trade lives with them for a nanosecond).

I also don't like to see people shamed over their weight, but I think there is a difference between shaming an individual and expressing concern.

I don't think that being either fat or thin is necessarily related to patriarchy, but food issues (from comfort eating to restrictive eating) might well be used to exert control over an otherwise totally controlling environment. And that is the sort of thing that is interesting to me to discuss on FJ.

I don't read into these kind of threads as a judgement on ALL thin people or ALL fat people.

But I would assume Melanie is more immune then the rest to Steve's silly food rules. Nathan and her eat at home most of the time so if she wants a third animal cracker it should be allowable right? I still think nursing might be causing her to loose weight. I think around my son's first birthday I lost another five or so pounds because he was nursing so much. Now he's 18 months and down to once a day so I'm just doing my best not to gain the weight back.

You know when you see a picture of someone and they look way different and it kind of makes you jump back a bit? That's how I felt when I saw Melanie. She just looked way thinner than she has in most of the pictures I have seen her in the last few months.

If that is her happy, healthy weight then I think that's fabulous, but knowing how much that family puts themselves under so much pressure to be perfect I do wonder if she is dieting excessively. Of course I have no way of knowing for sure. We speculate on lots of things here. Is Christopher gay? Is Sarah miserable? Is Steve crazy? This is along the same lines.

One thing I do know is I hope Melanie is healthy and happy.

If that is her happy, healthy weight then I think that's fabulous, but knowing how much that family puts themselves under so much pressure to be perfect I do wonder if she is dieting excessively.

Not referring to Melanie, but it would not surprise me that there are some eating disorders among some of these fundy women and girls. They have so little control over other parts of their lives that controlling food is one of the few avenues left to them.

Yes, patriarchy can have everything to do with weight. My father was very patriarchal (not religious, just bossy). He had everything to do with my 3 sisters' anorexia. In order to please my Dad, my sisters became very thin. My one sister hasn't had a period in 10 years due to being underweight. My Dad felt all women should be the perfect size 2 and you were a total loser if you weren't. When insults didn't work on me, he tried bribing me to lose weight (even though I was only 20 lbs overweight.) He said if I could get down to a size 2, he'd pay for me to go on an expensive vacation. (I told him to keep his vacation, I was happy with myself the way I was.)

Yes, patriarchy can have everything to do with weight. My father was very patriarchal (not religious, just bossy). He had everything to do with my 3 sisters' anorexia. In order to please my Dad, my sisters became very thin. My one sister hasn't had a period in 10 years due to being underweight. My Dad felt all women should be the perfect size 2 and you were a total loser if you weren't. When insults didn't work on me, he tried bribing me to lose weight (even though I was only 20 lbs overweight.) He said if I could get down to a size 2, he'd pay for me to go on an expensive vacation. (I told him to keep his vacation, I was happy with myself the way I was.)

I don't disagree, I just don't think there is ample evidence in the case of the Maxwells to imply that Melanie is sickly thin.

An example that wasnt as distasteful to me was under1K emily. She posted her menus so we had a lot more information to go by on that.

Certainly Steve and possibly the other two Maxwell patriarchs are restrictive with sweets, but based on their menus they don't seem to restrict food to an unhealthy level. Bland, and repetitive, yes.

And we really don't know anything about how Nathan and Melanie eat.

I don't disagree, I just don't think there is ample evidence in the case of the Maxwells to imply that Melanie is sickly thin.

An example that wasnt as distasteful to me was under1K emily. She posted her menus so we had a lot more information to go by on that.

Certainly Steve and possibly the other two Maxwell patriarchs are restrictive with sweets, but based on their menus they don't seem to restrict food to an unhealthy level. Bland, and repetitive, yes.

And we really don't know anything about how Nathan and Melanie eat.

I wasn't referring to Melanie (I don't follow that blog). I was referring to this general statement "Does being thin have anything to do with patriarchy?" and the subsequent post by anniec.

I wasn't referring to Melanie (I don't follow that blog). I was referring to this general statement "Does being thin have anything to do with patriarchy?" and the subsequent post by anniec.

I know. Since I made the general statement I was trying to clarify what I was driving at.

Archived