IGNORED

Stuffing Recipes - PLEASE tell me someone has heard of this one

HerNameIsBuffy

Well, I'm in tears laughing.  I just shared your story with my friend, she is rolling lol.  This made my evening, thank you for sharing.  You will be in my thoughts on Thanksgiving!

Haha - thank you! I only remember this because she made it every year and always bragged about ti and it was just so surreal to like listen to her brag about this mush. She always opened the oven when she baked anything but still obeyed the cooking times so 99% of the time her cookies were still raw on the inside. She was also really into the idea of teaching me to a be a good housewife one day which would be impossible with those recipes. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll write down my mom's dressing recipe, but the amounts won't be anywhere near exact.  It's all according to taste.

Several cakes of stale cornbread, crumbled

Onion, chopped -one or several

Celery, chopped  -several ribs at least and maybe a whole bunch 

Eggs  -how many depends on how much dressing you're making

Chicken and/or turkey stock -mom always made turkey stock with the neck and giblets for the gravy and dressing

Maybe some stewed chicken from making chicken stock

Salt and pepper to taste

Sage, dried and crumbled  -My dad grew the sage in his garden.  A bit of thyme wouldn't hurt either

If needed for moisture, milk or cream of chicken soup

Crumble the cornbread and mix in all other ingredients thoroughly and taste frequently to adjust the seasonings and amounts of ingredients.  When it tastes just right, pour into greased casserole dishes and bake in a 350 degree oven until browned and set.  Of course, if you are so inclined, you can also use this mixture to stuff the bird.  My mom would end up mixing her dressing in a huge bowl or a dishpan with a big spoon.  Us kids loved to help.

Man, I'm hungry from writing this down -and from reading all the other recipes.

that's more info than I've had ever - thanks.  Guess I'm glad it made it to my gramma (down rabbit holes with old maps now, I have no sense of direction so figuring out old borders isn't my strong suit - I just love linking history to food.)

http://germanfoods.org/recipes/roast-goose-with-liver-pate-stuffing-and-red-currant-glazed-peaches/

I adore pate, I'd love that stuffing. For a PP, chicken livers are sold in a container the size and shape of a cottage cheese container. Pate is just livers with some onion and herbs.

You really made me laugh @Antimony, at the beginning I was: what Italian stuffing recipe? I know no such thing...then I started to laugh and haven't stopped yet.

Thanks @AreteJo I'll try the recipe! 

Ha!  Lets not give out gross avatar ideas! (although I miss her posts.)  when the headship comes home from shopping i'll see the size as he's picking some up for my homemade dog snacks I'm baking today...but they are like the size of medium containers of cottage cheese but filled with chicken livers.

I hate liver, but love this dressing.  My daughter who is a giant weirdo has always loved them plain so i need to make more so she can have a bowl of them once cooked...otherwise she will steal from those intended for the dressing.   She's a beast when it comes to her chicken livers.

Just hiding it because some people will find his particular ingredient gross.

Hidden Content

I make chicken livers for the puppy a couple of times a year. In fact I did it last night. Livers, canned pumpkin and oatmeal stirred up in the pan. Grossest looking stuff ever but makes the puppy orgasmic.

The 99c Only Store had tubs of name brand cl and organic pumpkin and organic oatmeal. Such a deal!

What do you, if anything put into yours?

Stuffing for me during the year when the 99c Only has the ingredients I make something called Thanksgiving in a Bowl: 2 boxes of Stove Top Stuffing, lots of chopped celery and onions, box of sliced mushrooms, bag of dried cranberries, water or stock. Stir up in a pan and when done put some in a bowl and put store bought roasted chicken on top. Tastes just like Thanksgiving leftovers. Yum.

I'm kind of a 99c Store junkie and love coming up with ideas for my great buys...(they currently have lots of Muir Glenn organic canned tomatoes)

I make chicken livers for the puppy a couple of times a year. In fact I did it last night. Livers, canned pumpkin and oatmeal stirred up in the pan. Grossest looking stuff ever but makes the puppy orgasmic.

The 99c Only Store had tubs of name brand cl and organic pumpkin and organic oatmeal. Such a deal!

What do you, if anything put into yours?

Stuffing for me during the year when the 99c Only has the ingredients I make something called Thanksgiving in a Bowl: 2 boxes of Stove Top Stuffing, lots of chopped celery and onions, box of sliced mushrooms, bag of dried cranberries, water or stock. Stir up in a pan and when done put some in a bowl and put store bought roasted chicken on top. Tastes just like Thanksgiving leftovers. Yum.

I'm kind of a 99c Store junkie and love coming up with ideas for my great buys...(they currently have lots of Muir Glenn organic canned tomatoes)

http://www.crazycrumb.com/dog-liver-treats.html

I use this recipe which is such a huge hit with my pup dogs (except I use whole wheat flour instead of plain).  So great because you can cut them up super tiny for training (I use a pizza cutter.)

ill be making those today along with these...

http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/10/23/homemade-peanut-butter-dog-treats/

These are my two main go-tos for dog treats (although on this one I also use whole wheat flour and make my own peanut butter*)  I do had an extra slice of bacon, too.  These are crunchier and don't have to be refrridgerated.

so cute for little gifts to the pooches in your life, too!

ill be blogging their reactions later after I make the treats!  I always make extra and give some to my coworkers with pups, but I don't let mine see any leaving the house.  The betrayal would devastate them.

i am definitely going to try your recipe - they will love it!

*if you knew how much I hate the smell and very concept of peanut butter you'd know how much I love my dogs that I am willing to do that for them.  :) 

http://www.crazycrumb.com/dog-liver-treats.html

I use this recipe which is such a huge hit with my pup dogs (except I use whole wheat flour instead of plain).  So great because you can cut them up super tiny for training (I use a pizza cutter.)

ill be making those today along with these...

http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/10/23/homemade-peanut-butter-dog-treats/

These are my two main go-tos for dog treats (although on this one I also use whole wheat flour and make my own peanut butter*)  I do had an extra slice of bacon, too.  These are crunchier and don't have to be refrridgerated.

so cute for little gifts to the pooches in your life, too!

ill be blogging their reactions later after I make the treats!  I always make extra and give some to my coworkers with pups, but I don't let mine see any leaving the house.  The betrayal would devastate them.

i am definitely going to try your recipe - they will love it!

*if you knew how much I hate the smell and very concept of peanut butter you'd know how much I love my dogs that I am willing to do that for them.  :) 

Thx! Yes, try pumpkin. Its VERY good for dogs. Its the enzymes. I learned about it while trying to come up with a solution for poop eating puppies I was sitting for. Didn't work but I still use pumpkin sometimes for my pup and this is the time of year I think to buy it.

Now after that to much information I need a dressing pallet cleanser!

Thank you to those who reminded me that my mom used the turkey livers and gizzards in her moist and yummy dressing. We just never mentioned it because of a couple of people who would have been grossed out. Delicious memories!

A little OT but:

My grandmother in law always made the gravy for thanksgiving so all her kids and grandkids followed it. The first time I had it I nearly threw up (sorry). She made basic gravy with the pan drippings  but cut up 3 hard boiled eggs and stirred it in the gravy. So you're pouring this chunky gravy over the chunky mashed potatoes. No thanks, not for me. 

My SIL puts huge cut up dill pickles to put in her potato salad. I have no idea where that came from. 

My mom used the livers and gizzards too. She also boiled the turkey neck and used the broth to moisten the cornbread. So good. Mom is 89 and in a nursing home now, no more cooking, but I try to carry on.

Antimony, you are SEVERELY scaring me...and making me want to start Lenten fasting really early, and I'm not even Christian!

In our house, livers, gizzards, and hearts either went to Dad or to the dog.  Always had some cornbread stuffing (from mixes), but Mom's Thanksgiving stuffing was to die for.

Peel carrots and dice; peel and chop onions; wash, trim, and dice celery.  Saute gently in plenty of butter (or margarine, if you MUST). Add chicken broth or turkey broth (canned or bouillion cubes if you have to, just don't salt), some poultry seasoning, and a good double handful of raisins and/or dried cranberries.  Let simmer gently about 5 minutes, then stir in plenty of nice dried bread cubes or commercial (preferably plain) stuffing mix.  Stuff birdie, or serve from a casserole.

I add a handful of ground nuts to our stuffing, as well as dried bread cubes, sauteed celery/onion/sliced mushrooms, broth, and an egg or two. We either cook it in the crockpot for a few hours or in a covered casserole with the bird.

anniebgood,

Does your SIL have any Russian or Ukrainian heritage?  The reason I ask is that there is a very famous Russian potato salad  called Salad Olivier that has minced pickles in the potato salad.  It is essentially potatoes, pickles, hard boiled eggs and peas in a mayo dressing. 

anniebgood,

Does your SIL have any Russian or Ukrainian heritage?  The reason I ask is that there is a very famous Russian potato salad  called Salad Olivier that has minced pickles in the potato salad.  It is essentially potatoes, pickles, hard boiled eggs and peas in a mayo dressing. 

I'm sitting here trying to figure out why you'd not put chopped up pickles in your potatoe salad lol. My family's heritage is hazy but most likely German and our potatoe salad has diced pickles, hard boiled eggs, and raw onions all about the same size as the potatoe chunks. Then dressed with a mayo/mustard dressing- heavy on the mustard. It's the best, especially when it's still hot before it goes in the fridge. 

I just shared this link in the holiday menu thread, but since it is a stuffing, I'll share it here.  It is truly life-changing stuffing.  However, stuffing is also my favorite Thanksgiving dish.  I probably like it more than the turkey!

http://theviewfromgreatisland.com/pumpkin-cornbread-stuffing-with-country-sausage-and-sage/

My mom always put sliced hardboiled eggs in her giblet gravy.  I wasn't crazy about the bit of chopped giblet, but I loved those HB eggs!  My girls liked them, too.

I'm sitting here trying to figure out why you'd not put chopped up pickles in your potatoe salad lol. My family's heritage is hazy but most likely German and our potatoe salad has diced pickles, hard boiled eggs, and raw onions all about the same size as the potatoe chunks. Then dressed with a mayo/mustard dressing- heavy on the mustard. It's the best, especially when it's still hot before it goes in the fridge. 

I don't know where SIL Kris comes from, but her cooking isn't the best. I'd put pickle relish in my deviled eggs and in egg salad but not my potato salad. I do like hard boiled eggs, and yellow mustard as well. I used to buy those little round potatoes they sold at Fresh and Easy,but they've closed up shop. I suppose I could get them at Whole Paycheck. I like my salad cold. 

My dad's side is German, and I can make a heckuva German potato salad and sweet sauerkraut salad. I have not had success with rouladen, it looks sad. My mom is from English stock and can still cook up at storm at 90. But this thanksgiving I'll do the bird and cranberries and sweet and sour beans. 

Salad Olivier or "Russian Salad" as it is refered to in my family always makes my taste buds do the happy dance. :)  Cubed potatoes, peas, carrots, eggs, pickles in a mayo and mustard dressing.  Not Christmas dinner or New Year's brunch without it.  

I don't know where SIL Kris comes from, but her cooking isn't the best. I'd put pickle relish in my deviled eggs and in egg salad but not my potato salad. I do like hard boiled eggs, and yellow mustard as well. I used to buy those little round potatoes they sold at Fresh and Easy,but they've closed up shop. I suppose I could get them at Whole Paycheck. I like my salad cold. 

My dad's side is German, and I can make a heckuva German potato salad and sweet sauerkraut salad. I have not had success with rouladen, it looks sad. My mom is from English stock and can still cook up at storm at 90. But this thanksgiving I'll do the bird and cranberries and sweet and sour beans. 

I am not a gourmet caliber cook, but my rouladen is one of my best dishes.  It's my go-to for company - along with homemade spaetzel.  It' took me a while to get it right as I had to do it from memory but my siblings all say I have Dad's recipe down now and it's really good.  Let me know if you want the recipe and I'll post it.  Heck - I'd even take pics as it will give me an excuse to make it this weekend.  :)

Anybody ever try cornbread and sausage stuffing? I had it once during a business trip of DH's at a Georgia resort. It was ridiculously delicious. I long to replicate it. Anybody got a recipe?

Here are some recipes:

http://www.marthastewart.com/337095/cornbread-and-sausage-stuffing

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/24741/cornbread-stuffing-with-sausage/

http://www.jimmydean.com/recipes/holidays/sausage-cornbread-stuffing

Now I haven't tried any of these.  The Martha Stewart recipe and the Jimmy Dean recipe just call for cornbread and not any white bread which the one from Allrecipes does.  The MS one calls for sage and the other two call for poultry seasoning. The Jimmy Dean and Martha Stewart recipes look a bit more appetizing.

Anybody ever try cornbread and sausage stuffing? I had it once during a business trip of DH's at a Georgia resort. It was ridiculously delicious. I long to replicate it. Anybody got a recipe?

The stuffing recipe I just posted.  If you try anything, try that.  It is pumpkin cornbread and sausage.

I always think of my mom's potato salad as a summer recipe. Ours also has chopped dill pickles, red onion, celery, and hardboiled eggs, with a mayo dressing.

I do like a hot potato salad in cooler weather, with whole baby potatoes, sauteed onions, and a mustard vinaigrette.

Potato salad is another one of those recipes that's the taste of family to me.  Mine is celery, onions, bacon, apple cider vinegar, and miracle whip

Ooh Miracle whip and bacon in potato salad!!!!  (hi, Mom's family is mostly german.  bacon, miracle whip, boiled eggs, onions, pickles (sour) go into the family recipe.  My mom adds a hint of mustard).  

Archived