IGNORED

Miss Raquel is writing "another" novel.

xRoo

That photo of the boys kissing her - while she's giggling with glee over the attention - makes my stomach churn. It's not cute. She's trying to give the illusion that it's all innocent, but it's obvious that she is reveling in the attention. It's inappropriate at best and borderline predatory at worst.

And trading hoodies? Vex - you're right, it is intimate. Trading clothing? What is okay with that? 

I seriously want to know what her intent was in either of these situations, or when she's draped all over the pre-teen and teen boys. Actually, I can guess, and it makes me sick.

I can't even imagine how confusing it is for these teenaged boys for some overprivileged young woman to encourage and participate in such behavior under the guise of performing "missionary" work. She's in a position of power and is abusing it. 

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She sleeps with the hoodie because it smells like one of the orphans? That is beyond fucked up. Fucking hell.

1 hour ago, snarkykitty said:

That photo of the boys kissing her - while she's giggling with glee over the attention - makes my stomach churn. It's not cute. She's trying to give the illusion that it's all innocent, but it's obvious that she is reveling in the attention. It's inappropriate at best and borderline predatory at worst.

I'd say it's absolutely predatory! Somebody call Chris Hanson, this shit is disgusting.

49 minutes ago, sea_gale said:

She sleeps with the hoodie because it smells like one of the orphans? That is beyond fucked up. Fucking hell.

Yeah, pretty sure she wouldn't sleep w/ the hoodie that smells like her favorite orphan if the orphan were female. Pretty fucking sure.

And over at the ex not-boyfriend's twitter, the subtweeting extravaganza continues...

tweet.png.5023d3c0176473303d7e6ea493f93csubtweet.png.ed89a6d78d2aadfa1ab560c5375

I feel like a proper sad bastard for watching these two nincompoops, but it's like a river of drama that never runs dry.

Ex not-boyfriend mentioned their band is going to be performing again. Anyone know if Raquel is still a member? If so, awkward...

Sorry, wanted to bring this up for a while...but do we have any definitive proof that Raquel's parents disapprove of her non-ex-bf?

Also, did she ever say directly that she wanted to move out of her parents' place, or did she just retweet a couple of cute apartments?

She had posted at one point about looking for a roommate so she could move out.  I'm not sure about any proof her parents dislike the non-ex-boyfriend. I think it was onlyme who knows her parents who mentioned they don't approve.

I'm not the best with Twitter, but I can't see that tweet by her non-ex-boyfriend. Did she delete it? 

The more I think about her taking the hoodie from one of the orphan boys so she could snuggle with it, the angrier I get. Are people saying things to her about her behavior and she is just ignoring them or is the rest of her team just going along with it acting like this is okay? If any of those people who went with her actually cares about those boys in Peru, they will never, ever agree to go to Peru with Raquel again. Some of these boys come from backgrounds where they were sexually exploited, they don't need Raquel to come prey on them to fulfill her fantasies. 

I just saw the "I need money" post. Money doesn't grow on trees Raquel, you have to work hard for it. Reality is going to be very, very hard for her. 

On 1/14/2016 at 11:34 AM, onlyme said:

You know, I'm kind of starting to think it's that situation of cultural hospitality, and Raquel isn't seeing it. I don't think there is any over sight other than the orphanage director on site. My son felt bad because she fed them A LOT and the boys weren't allowed to get food until they'd had seconds.. . . . .

I wonder why the mission group doesn't buy extra groceries for the duration of their visit.  Do they donate anything beyond time when they go?  Cash is king and while helping and running errands is nice, if the mission group eats more than they contribute, it isn't exactly a win for the orphanage.... 

My Step mother in law  is from Mexico, and she sees these trips come to paint churches, etc.  She says she encourages her church in the USA to send money to hire locals for work on the building, and if they want to go, go as tourists to visit the churches and see how things are done, not perform volunteer work when a donation could go to pay a professional in the local economy. 

Raquel creeps me out, there is something seriously off about her and if nothing life-changing happens, it's only going to get worse as she gets older *shudder*

38 minutes ago, salex said:

I wonder why the mission group doesn't buy extra groceries for the duration of their visit.  Do they donate anything beyond time when they go?  Cash is king and while helping and running errands is nice, if the mission group eats more than they contribute, it isn't exactly a win for the orphanage.... 

My Step mother in law  is from Mexico, and she sees these trips come to paint churches, etc.  She says she encourages her church in the USA to send money to hire locals for work on the building, and if they want to go, go as tourists to visit the churches and see how things are done, not perform volunteer work when a donation could go to pay a professional in the local economy. 

The Jewish organization I used to do development work for had that approach. The trips to the communities they work for are for social networking, education, and to bring cash into the local economies, not for volunteering or teaching (unless they specifically ask for an expert to come). Locals build the schools and work as teachers, locals run the local enterprises, locals basically do it all. And rightly so. Our organization just raised money to support them and send over foreign experts when needed (for example, one community was starting up a Hebrew school at their synagogue, and had an American rabbi come work with them to get stuff going and train teachers).

Whenever I see people going on these voluntourism trips, I always try to give them this analogy: imagine if a bunch of (picking a random nationality here) Norwegian people showed up in, say, Detroit, and started doing construction and renovation work completely free, but they did a really crappy job because they had no actual training in how to do construction/painting/renovation, and acted condescending towards locals who actually do that line of work and could use the job, and they were more interested in taking selfies with poor neighborhood kids. Then all they'd eat is chain fast food they're familiar with instead of food from local restaurants/businesses, and go around doing bizarre skits entirely in Norwegian (which few people in Detroit understand at all) about how people in Detroit should be worshiping Jesus. Would you be cool with that?

Am I reading it correctly that the Americans who go on these trips are literally taking food from orphans? That they eat first and get to have seconds before the orphans can even think of eating?

I don't understand this mission at all. There has to be someone in charge who is deciding to let strings of privileged Americans come through to eat the food and snap pictures with orphans.

This is the organization Raquel appears to go through to go on these "mission" trips.

https://www.facebook.com/scriptureunionperu/photos/pb.203537672995525.-2207520000.1452965260./911092742240011/?type=3&theater

51 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

IMG_7867.jpg

Fun factoid: In Finnish, "KUSI" means urine. 

this is hilarious, I wonder where she got it from :crashh:

5 hours ago, sea_gale said:

And over at the ex not-boyfriend's twitter, the subtweeting extravaganza continues...

tweet.png.5023d3c0176473303d7e6ea493f93csubtweet.png.ed89a6d78d2aadfa1ab560c5375

I feel like a proper sad bastard for watching these two nincompoops, but it's like a river of drama that never runs dry.

Ex not-boyfriend mentioned their band is going to be performing again. Anyone know if Raquel is still a member? If so, awkward...

Well and what's really awkward is she's most likely still talking about the best friend in Kusi with her sweatshirt, isn't she? She keeps saying on Insta how much she misses them.

Sorry, wanted to bring this up for a while...but do we have any definitive proof that Raquel's parents disapprove of her non-ex-bf?

Also, did she ever say directly that she wanted to move out of her parents' place, or did she just retweet a couple of cute apartments?

I have proof, but it would be in bad taste to share it. So scout's honor, I know people, parents hate him more than anyone whose read the Bible should feel okay about, she's been told she needs to move out.

I can still taste his lips in my mouth.'

I hope that this is about the not-ex-boyfriend and not about the "best friend" orphan she met on a super short-term "mission trip". And shouldn't it be taste his lips on her mouth instead of inside her mouth. 

1 minute ago, formergothardite said:

I hope that this is about the not-ex-boyfriend and not about the "best friend" orphan she met on a super short-term "mission trip". And shouldn't it be taste his lips on her mouth instead of inside her mouth. 

ew. So much ew.

20 minutes ago, tsukinokawa said:

this is hilarious, I wonder where she got it from :crashh:

Kusi is the place in Peru i think

17 minutes ago, xRoo said:

Well and what's really awkward is she's most likely still talking about the best friend in Kusi with her sweatshirt, isn't she? She keeps saying on Insta how much she misses them.

I have proof, but it would be in bad taste to share it. So scout's honor, I know people, parents hate him more than anyone whose read the Bible should feel okay about, she's been told she needs to move out.

Gosh. Weren't her family into the whole umbrella of authority/girls stay at home till marriage bit once upon a time? Giving her an ultimatum to not see her skeevy boyfriend under their roof is pretty extreme.

Honestly if her plan is to move out and get back together with him, I'm worried for her. He doesn't come across as a very balanced individual, and that kind of unhealthy i-can't-live-without-you crap is often a facet of abusive relationships. She is very immature for her age and not well equipped to deal with that kind of situation, especially away from her support network. 

1 minute ago, sea_gale said:

Gosh. Weren't her family into the whole umbrella of authority/girls stay at home till marriage bit once upon a time? Giving her an ultimatum to not see her skeevy boyfriend under their roof is pretty extreme.

Honestly if her plan is to move out and get back together with him, I'm worried for her. He doesn't come across as a very balanced individual, and that kind of unhealthy i-can't-live-without-you crap is often a facet of abusive relationships. She is very immature for her age and not well equipped to deal with that kind of situation, especially away from her support network. 

Especially when one knows he was considering dating someone else during her sabbatical... I lol so hard when he tweets about how he's only had eyes for her through it all. Not so much, dude.

Even more disturbing are the words she put with that picture:

A gnawing soreness to be with them. 
It’s a desire to be held in their arms. 
A want to see their smile, hear their voice, smell their scent. 

This is just part, she has a whole long paragraph about her longing to be with him. 

She has made the whole "I miss him so bad" thing into a blog post. She was there for like a week and she is acting like she is being torn away from a long time friend. She is just one in a long string of voluntorist who come to that orphanage. I really doubt they are mourning her like she is mourning them. 

1 hour ago, xRoo said:

No. No. No. No.

image.png

Someone get that poor kid medical treatment for his parasite.

The boys that went on the trip broke off from her for most of the trip. I asked my son about all the hugging and he said he didn't see it, but he didn't spend much time with her. He likes to do these mission trips because he feels like he gets to know local people, rather than always being stuck in tourist things. I can understand a lot of what is being said here. I might not take as hard a line about it. I think you can do it if you are aware of the pitfalls. Like how he paid attention to the food and gave the director compensation for his meals. There are pitfalls, but you could say that about any kind of travel, I suppose. I don't think it's all black and white. And certainly, if the director felt like the cost was more than what she is getting, she doesn't have to let people come. 

I don't think anyone else on the trip is responsible for Raquel but herself. Even this idea that her parents were into the umbrella idea-no, all the fundy stuff is Raquel's. 

The thing is, if people wouldn't have agreed to go with Raquel, she wouldn't have been able to go and prey on orphan boys. No team, no Raquel in Peru. It isn't like she doesn't have a history of behaving in an inappropriate way with orphan teen boys. They should have refused to go with her because of her past behavior, not enabled her to go again.  She is a predator, and if you don't think that, just switch it around and imagine if an adult man went to spend time with orphaned teen girls and came back with an article of clothing that he sleeps with to remind him of a girl and he wrote blog posts about longing to be with her and how he couldn't wait to get back to see her. No one would hesitate to call him a predator. 

The people who agreed to let her lead the team and agreed to go with her as a team leader are partially responsible for letting her get there and act like that. Raquel is responsible for her own actions, the orphanage is responsible for not doing a better job of vetting volunteers,  but her team was responsible for not calling her out when she preyed on teen boys. After last year's trip they should have been on high alert and watched Raquel like a hawk.  If they aren't calling her out now for what she is doing, then yes, I put some blame on them, because she needs to hear from her team. They need to stand up for what is right and tell Raquel that what she is  doing is wrong and that because of that they will never go to Peru with her again. They need to contact the organization and make it clear that Raquel behaved in a predatory way and that she doesn't need to be allowed back.  

The main priority should be protecting these children from people who will prey on them even if that make Raquel mad. And I"m sure she will lose it if anyone dares to tell her that what she did was wrong.  

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived