IGNORED

Duggars invited to be keynote speakers

Cherokee2000

I don't want the Jim Boob and Michelle sharing their brand of non-education and intolerance with my neighbours, thank you very much!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/duggars-alberta-homeschool-conference-1.3294323?cmp=rss 

Reality TV and tabloid stars, Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar, plan on coming to Alberta in the spring to give advice to other parents who homeschool their kids.

The couple has been clouded in controversy since May, when TLC cancelled their reality TV show, 19 Kids and Counting, after their eldest son admitted he had molested four of his sisters when he was a teenager. Despite this, the couple will be the keynote speakers at the 2016 Alberta Home Education Convention. "We don't look for absolutely perfect speakers because, well — we're human. Someone who is perfect? That's unattainable," said Paul van den Bosch, president of the Alberta Home Education Association (AHEA).

It's one thing to have this nonsense spewed out when they are far away from me, or only on my TV where I can shout at them all I want. But I take issue at them getting up in front of a crowd that includes people I know and respect, and who are doing their best to educate their children. Some of these children are people I am fond of, and I do NOT want them to be tainted by these uneducated fools who have nothing but harm to contribute.

Go away, Duggars!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Tabloid stars" LOL

I don't think that is what Dim Bulb had in mind when he started this journey of spreading his faith. Or maybe he did? He seems to just enjoy immense amounts of attention and doesn't seem to really care what kind it is.

I do feel they are an extremely poor example of a homeschooling family. Why would any family want to sit and listen to them drone on about their wisdom booklets etc? Most of their children have not even received their GEDs and none have gotten a college education. You can not make me believe they were unable to find better more qualified speakers. All are still dependent on their parents for their lifestyle.

The Duggars give home schooling a bad name. I know several people who home school. They have degrees and make sure their kids are involved in outside activities. (Not broomball).Home schooling is great for some kids when done right. I'd love to see Jenni in a real school where she could giggle with her friends

By the way, the vigilantes at the #nomoreduggars on FB are already all over this.  I doubt it's going to happen.

You could go and ask probing questions at their q&a session :think:

Believe me, that was my first thought when I saw the unwelcome intrusion of those doofuses on my news feed this morning. What are they doing fouling up my news of our newly elected Prime Minister potentially bringing in Syrian refugees to Edmonton? Or how yesterday's provincial budget will affect front-line public services?

But then I imagine myself truly AT the Red Deer conference, surrounded by home schooling parents (and probably senior students, some of whom I know). Whether or not I agree with home-schooling or the varying ability of parents to educate their kids, I know that these families are doing their best they can. I don't want to be seen as the interfering non-believer who caused a scene at one of their only networking opportunities. 

In theory, yeah, I'd like to be a shit-disturber when the Duggars are spouting their crap. In reality? I'd rather find a quieter more respectful way of sharing my opinions with people I care about.

Does that make any sense?

I can't believe this is reality, but here you go. I'm extremely disgusted and very glad I have nothing to do with this homeschool organization.

http://www.aheaonline.com/index.php/component/content/article/137-convention-2016/509-keynote-speakers-2016-affirmation

As announced at our April 2015 convention, the Alberta Home Education Association has invited Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar to be the keynote speakers at our 2016 convention.

The AHEA board today affirms that decision after careful consideration of the facts of the recent controversy concerning one of the Duggar children.

Alberta - come to Vancouver - so I can throw tomatoes 

like who hit josh first 

Michelle or JB ? 

or how do you sleep at night ? 

Hopefully, people will complain, but I'm not optimistic about it. I don't understand why anyone would pay money to listen to these monsters talk. They swept molestation snd incest under the rug! I thought we could all agree that this is beyond the pale, but I guess I was wrong.

I have a question about homeschooling, I'm from Holland and homeschooling is illegal here, every child between 5 and sixteen has to be in school. Is it normal for kids to be homeschooled trough high school? We both have a masters degree, so not exactly illiterate. I can see myself teaching my kids trough primary school. I would get in trouble in high school years, with certain subjects (biology, science). 

I have a question about homeschooling, I'm from Holland and homeschooling is illegal here, every child between 5 and sixteen has to be in school. Is it normal for kids to be homeschooled trough high school? We both have a masters degree, so not exactly illiterate. I can see myself teaching my kids trough primary school. I would get in trouble in high school years, with certain subjects (biology, science). 

For some kids, yes. Obviously, the results vary widely from family to family and child to child. The Duggar brand of homeschooling is very anti-intellectual and doesn't seem to do much aside from teach basic literacy and numeracy skills, and even the extent of those is very much debatable. I have no qualms in saying that I believe that the Duggars practice educational neglect. The main goal for Duggar style homeschooling is to indoctrinate the kids into a certain worldview and keep them away from any sources (e.g., books, children from other religious backgrounds, teachers) that would challenge the primacy of this worldview.

Some kids home school just for elementary school, some through junior high, some through high school. Some kids don't start until high school. It really varies.

My eldest is in grade 9 this year (year before high school here) so we're trying to figure out what to do for next year. He could to regular school, he could do school at home by correspondence, he could go through an online program offered by our school board, or we could do traditional homeschooling and he could get a GED or do SATs if he wants to go to university (for some reason the US SATs can be used, even though we aren't in the US). He could even have traditional homeschooling and we figure out how many "credits" things are worth, then he could do the regular exams other high school kids do and get a regular diploma.

Lots of options here, although I think other places have fewer.

Thanx, I know (mainly from reading FJ) there are parents that homeschool that actually want to teach there kids something. What would be a reason to homeschool your kids, besides sheltering them from the real world? I would think they missed out on something if they would not go to school.

Thanx, I know (mainly from reading FJ) there are parents that homeschool that actually want to teach there kids something. What would be a reason to homeschool your kids, besides sheltering them from the real world? I would think they missed out on something if they would not go to school.

Sometimes its due to religion, not to the extent of the duggars though. Some parents don't agree with a lot of the science that is being taught.

Others it's due to the poor quality of schools in the area. I know of a lot of military wives who would homeschool because they didn't like the school district they were in. Or for continuity when they would move every 2-3 years. 

Or it could be for social reasons. Maybe the kid is being bullied. Maybe the kid has so many appointments for whatever reason and they are out of school often... that is typically seen when they are in a performance arts career (child actors, dancers, etc.) or when they are really sick. 

ETA: Most of the homeschooling I've seen is supplemented in some way to make up for the social issues that can come of homeschooling. For example, at the base I lived at overseas, there was a group that would get together every Friday for an art class and to do some physical education and for socialization.

Holy Shit! How is PM Trudeau letting them into the country? I mean I know Alberta is conservative (No offense Alberta) but that's a bit above and beyond the norm! Isn't it? 

I know a German couple living in the US (Missouri) who home schooled their children. Both parents are university professors and the children are gifted. One of the reasons was that the public school in the US didn't offer enough education for the children. One of them is done with school and at a pretty good university now. They also attended meetings for home schooled children so that they could meet other young people. She said that many in those groups do it because of religious reasons but also other things like mentioned above, disabilities for example or like them gifted children with extra needs in that direction. 

I finished my education here in Germany with a distance learning school because of my disability. Even that required lots of paperwork and is only possible in special circumstances. We have a pretty strict law when it comes to school stuff. I think that is good when it comes to people like the Duggars but in other situations the law is difficult to deal with. There is no perfect school system I guess... 

I have family members who were home schooled. Some were home schooled because of learning disabilities and others because they hung out with bad influences. I had a cousin who was only home schooled from k-8th and went to a public HS(she was a grade above me). Her transition wasn't terrible and she was just as smart as the other students. She even graduated a year early! Home schooling isn't inherently bad but it is easy to abuse it....like the Duggars do.  It also depends on what standards each state has for their homeschoolers. I'm assuming Arkansas' aren't very high. 

Currently, I'm going to school for early education. I'm debating on whether  i'll home school my kids for their elementary education.Ideally, my future spouse will make enough money to be the breadwinner of the house for a few years....I only want 2 or  3 kids :pb_eek: . Some kids really do flourish in the home schooling system. Iblp members abuse the concept of home schooling and use it to further brainwash their kids. It makes me sad because I feel like a few Duggar kids would enjoy getting a real education. (Jenny and Jeremiah come to mind) 

Homeschooling is really about customizing your child's education.  Just because you homeschool doesn't mean you have to be the teacher.  Many kids that homeschool into high school actually start at a Jr. College at at 15-16.  

Then you have the Duggars and their ilk who homeschool to assure children are not exposed to any other way of thinking.  They have their own science and history curricula that is from a bible, not facts.

Back to the topic, I'm disgusted.   A huge part of the issue is how these asshats responded to the molestation and now continue to downplay what happened and their handling of it.  Of course the victims just want to forgive and forget, they have NO OPTION!

I'm not a member but I'm still writing to voice my opposition as a homeschooler.  These people have not learned a thing and have nothing to share.  They aren't even good educators.

I know families who chose homeschool for religious reasons and families who chose homeschool for secular reasons. The kids from the religious families were a mixed bag; all got GEDs, a few went to college. One family's kids played sports at my HS. I can't remember exactly how that was worked out, but it was. One of my classmates did home school/correspondence because she was an elite skier and needed the flexibility.

Just to tag onto what everyone else has posted - schooling decisions (for the most part) are governed at the state and district level.  So the requirements, reasons, etc. might vary from state to state.

Generally, homeschoolers have some degree of philosophical difference with their local schools.  It may be about governance (class organization and size), it may be about religion, it may be about particular needs of a student which cannot be met in a public school setting.

I've spent 20 plus years as an educator.  I know very socialized and competent homeschoolers, and I know of cases where homeschooling was a gross disservice to children.  It's a pretty complicated topic once a person starts drilling down into it.

The Duggars give home schooling a bad name. I know several people who home school. They have degrees and make sure their kids are involved in outside activities. (Not broomball).Home schooling is great for some kids when done right. I'd love to see Jenni in a real school where she could giggle with her friends

Actually all the home schoolers I know have raised a bunch of illiterate, narrow minded, simpletons who cannot function in proper society.  But they were all home schooled for "Republican Jebus".  Not to be confused with the real Jesus*.

*Please don't mock me because I believe, I don't mock non believers, or those of different religions, so please give me the same respect.  

Believe me, that was my first thought when I saw the unwelcome intrusion of those doofuses on my news feed this morning. What are they doing fouling up my news of our newly elected Prime Minister potentially bringing in Syrian refugees to Edmonton? Or how yesterday's provincial budget will affect front-line public services?

But then I imagine myself truly AT the Red Deer conference, surrounded by home schooling parents (and probably senior students, some of whom I know). Whether or not I agree with home-schooling or the varying ability of parents to educate their kids, I know that these families are doing their best they can. I don't want to be seen as the interfering non-believer who caused a scene at one of their only networking opportunities. 

In theory, yeah, I'd like to be a shit-disturber when the Duggars are spouting their crap. In reality? I'd rather find a quieter more respectful way of sharing my opinions with people I care about.

Does that make any sense?

Random, I know 2 Canadians, one lives in Vancouver the other Red Deer.

Archived