IGNORED

Erika Shupe *fake smile* Large Families on Purpose Part 2

DaffyDill

Do you have shirt stays?  Those things fascinated me. They are like suspenders (for those who don't know) and one end attaches to the bottom of the shirt; the other end attaches to the sock. They wear two (one for each sock) to keep the shirt neatly tucked into the trousers. I'd think fundies would grab these up to keep their young men looking neat and tidy all the time. 

Edited to add: THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE! 

I don't use them, but they're available.  Luckily for Army women (and I think they're available for Marine women as well), they make an optional blouse that is princess-cut and comes down just over the waist line, so you don't have to screw around with the shirt being tucked in AND you get to look a little more feminine.  The dress pants we have are horrible because they are essentially men's pants, and I have never been mistaken for a man from behind.

Thank you!

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2012/05/scheduling-what-to-do-with-summer.html

This is for her summer schedule, but I assume it's similar throughout the year. She's mentioned before that she serves food four times a day- three meals and one snack. I'm not sure which one is the truth, or if it varies.

Erika talks about snacks here:

"4:00 - This was our only snack time of the day.  I've had many moms ask me about how we manage snack times during the day with so many kids, as they've found that kids desiring snacks constantly is a real problem and a time waster.  In our house I serve food 5 times a day, which includes one morning and one afternoon snack time.  I also, however, always serve food of high value - whole grains, protein, nuts, vegetables and fruits - so the children are really full and satisfied all day between meals.  This is key! Kids desiring snacks all day are probably doing it for one of three reasons:  they're not getting enough "whole foods" with protein and fat to satiate them and give them strength, or they are having too much sugar and white flour (which turns to sugar when it hits our saliva!) which is empty and then produces a "sugar low", or they've simply developed a habit of eating this way (not eating large meals when it's time and therefore desiring to snack often between meals)."

I think Erika keeps them malnourished and hungry, and then manipulates them to do things using  junk food, like Jelly Bellys. All you have to do is look at pictures of those kids, they look pale and undernourished, especially Brandon. I just want to give that little boy in the picture a great big hamburger! On top of that, those kids don't get much exercise at all. They are inside all day. Erika has said that for nine months of the year, it's "too muddy" to use the yard. If you look at her post on scheduling a three year old boy, not once does that boy step outdoors during the day.

The good thing is, there are nine of them and one of her, so I"m sure there's lots of sneaking going on.

Yep, a scheduled day for a three year old boy without any time to run around -- then she complains that he enjoys climbing the baby gates and is just TOO active.  Wonder why the pent up kid has so much energy?  But instead, she doubled down on her "baby" proofing efforts to keep them under control in the house.  We've seen her timed runs on the deck, too.  What does she give them, 3 minutes or so, to run off the wiggles?  She got a degree in early childhood education, and THAT is what she does to her kids? She must have thrown out every textbook she ever read in favor of advice from the Maxwells, Pearls, and other

http://www.largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2012/05/scheduling-what-to-do-with-summer.html

This is for her summer schedule, but I assume it's similar throughout the year. She's mentioned before that she serves food four times a day- three meals and one snack. I'm not sure which one is the truth, or if it varies.

Erika talks about snacks here:

"4:00 - This was our only snack time of the day.  I've had many moms ask me about how we manage snack times during the day with so many kids, as they've found that kids desiring snacks constantly is a real problem and a time waster.  In our house I serve food 5 times a day, which includes one morning and one afternoon snack time.  I also, however, always serve food of high value - whole grains, protein, nuts, vegetables and fruits - so the children are really full and satisfied all day between meals.  This is key! Kids desiring snacks all day are probably doing it for one of three reasons:  they're not getting enough "whole foods" with protein and fat to satiate them and give them strength, or they are having too much sugar and white flour (which turns to sugar when it hits our saliva!) which is empty and then produces a "sugar low", or they've simply developed a habit of eating this way (not eating large meals when it's time and therefore desiring to snack often between meals)."

I'd forgotten about that one or two daily snack/s, thank you.  I love her explanation, though -- if kids need more food, it's because the parents or the kids have screwed up by not following her God's plan properly.  It couldn't be that the child is simply hungry and needing more calories to consume. Never. Quintessential Erika right there.   

@princessmahina Thanks for pointing this out. I'm glad Erika allows them a snack in the stretch of time between lunch and dinner. Of course, though, I doubt she allows any snacking outside of this narrow window. If a kid got hungry earlier than that they'd be shit outta luck. She contradicts herself by saying there's only one snack time but then that she does serve a snack between breakfast and lunch, so I don't know what she really does. 

While I love and crave salads quite often, I can't see myself eating salads day in and day out without feeling either bored or unsatisfied. If I don't eat lots of protein with my salad, I find myself getting hungry just a few hours later. Its already dipping down to freezing temperatures here in the Seattle area. A cold, cold salad is the last thing I want for lunch! 

The Maxwells would NOT do well in the Marines because, while in any sort of dress uniform, they can have nothing in their pockets - not even a cell phone. When we were on base, we saw many Marines stop and lift their pant leg and pull their phone out of their sock.  It was quite defrauding to see those muscular calves but rules are rules. 

Why do the pockets exist if you can't put anything in them? I can't imagine you're allowed to put your hands in them...

@princessmahina Thanks for pointing this out. I'm glad Erika allows them a snack in the stretch of time between lunch and dinner. Of course, though, I doubt she allows any snacking outside of this narrow window. If a kid got hungry earlier than that they'd be shit outta luck. She contradicts herself by saying there's only one snack time but then that she does serve a snack between breakfast and lunch, so I don't know what she really does. 

While I love and crave salads quite often, I can't see myself eating salads day in and day out without feeling either bored or unsatisfied. If I don't eat lots of protein with my salad, I find myself getting hungry just a few hours later. Its already dipping down to freezing temperatures here in the Seattle area. A cold, cold salad is the last thing I want for lunch! 

These contradictions really complicate our analysis.  Sheesh, Erika.  But it's like trying to track down a solid answer and timeline for what happened with Bob's parents -- impossible, given our unreliable narrator.  

Completely agree about the salads.  Once the temperature goes below 70* (the freezing point for most Californians), I don't have much desire for salad.  I still love cooked vegetables, or a side salad, but it can't be my main course.  Summers are a different story; cold food sounds especially appealing then. 

The complaining about the over active little boys,  yet refusing anyphysically active play time really kills me.  Several people addressed that when she last posted that article on FB, but she gave no response to that at all.  

One of my boys was adhd, and a kinesthetic learner, I had him outside as much as possibleto keep him manageable :lol:  And I'm in the pnw as well.  We practiced math facts by going up and down the stairs.  We did obstacle courses and relays in the hallway.  

That smoothie recipe has no protein other than what is in the spinach and fruit,  which is not a lot.  And only 2Tbs fast for 64oz, which is divided amongst 8 children (oddly she says it's 8oz for 6 children,  and 16oz for the twins? ? Not 8oz each for the 8 younger children). I personally would be starving with that much sugar and no fat or protein. That recipe wouldn't be on plan for THM though, so either she's not following THM, or not still doing the smoothie? 

Why do the pockets exist if you can't put anything in them? I can't imagine you're allowed to put your hands in them...

Good question and I don't have an answer.  I just know that the Marine dress uniform is considered rather a source of pride (as with all branches, I'm sure) and anything in the pockets ruins the flow of the trousers.  They tend to the tiniest detail and other Marines can pick out a miniscule flaw with no problem. 

white flour (which turns to sugar when it hits our saliva!) 

:huh:

Obviously Erika knows very little (if anything) about science and nutrition.  

She quoted this gem from her chiropractor - having a green smoothie is like having a healthy blood transfusion. 

favorite-recipes-green-smoothies-for.htm

"Green smoothies are easy to digest.  When blended well, all the valuable nutrients in these fruits and veggies become homogenized, or divided in to such small particles that it becomes easy for the body to assimilate these nutrients; the green smoothies literally start to get absorbed in your mouth... 
"By consuming two or three cups of green smoothies daily you will consume enough greens for the day to nourish your body, and they will be well assimilated.  Many people do not consume enough greens, even those who stay on a raw food diet.  The molecule of chlorophyll has only one atom that makes it different from a molecule of human blood.  According to the teachings of Dr. Ann Wigmore, to consume chlorophyll is like receiving a healthy blood transfusion."  ~ Dr. Avery Martin

Why can't Erika add some quality protein powder to the smoothies?  Because her chiropractor said its not necessary as per this chart 

Source:  

image.jpeg

All I can say is, their grocery budget is going to in a world of hurt when her boys reach their teenage years.  One snack and a salad for lunch isn't going to cut it.

ETA: Those charts make me batty.  It should go Question, Common Misconception, THEN ideas to try.  Yeesh.  

@Pseudoname Thanks for bringing up those examples. Erika truly is a sucker because she'll believe ANYTHING someone says as long as it meshes with her opinion. That quote from her chiropractor... good God. One atom difference between chlorophyll and a "blood molecule"? I have a BS in cell biology and I never once learned about this so-called "blood molecule." (Also chlorophyll has many different structures and formulas, with far more than 1 atom different) If I ever heard a doctor or healthcare profession spout such nonsense, I'd run in the opposite direction. No doubt that those green smoothies are healthy but they're not cure-alls and they're NOT like blood transfusions. My goodness. 

@ViolaSebastian When they get older she'll probably put them on "diets" too, like she did with Karen. Sometime this week I saw a comment that Erika wrote about Karen- how her "diet" was meant for her to lose 15 pounds that were "mostly in her legs, so you couldn't see it" (paraphrased). Way to set up her daughter for an eating disorder!

I ran a calorie analysis on her smoothie recipe...using the higher amounts & 4 oz kale, 1 package stevia.  Per 8 oz serving it's 54 calories.

One recipe makes 64 oz. 

For us this equals 28 oz. for my husband, = 189 cal

12 oz. for me, = 81 cal

12 oz. for our oldest daughter, =81 cal

and about 12 oz. for me for a snack later = another 81 cal for Erika

Another recipe feeds our other 8 children:  six 8 oz. servings, plus a 16 oz. serving for our twins to share.  =54 calories per younger kid!!!

@ViolaSebastian When they get older she'll probably put them on "diets" too, like she did with Karen. Sometime this week I saw a comment that Erika wrote about Karen- how her "diet" was meant for her to lose 15 pounds that were "mostly in her legs, so you couldn't see it" (paraphrased). Way to set up her daughter for an eating disorder!

Yeesh, that's messed up.  I'm looking at the photographs of Karen and she looks FINE.  This is NOT a child that needs to lose weight anywhere, let alone 15 (15?!) pounds in her legs.  Furthermore, that's now how diets work (and boy, oh boy, do I wish that they did and I could lose weight JUST from my middle...).  If she were my child, I'd just suggest that if she's unhappy with her legs that we could do some leg-focused exercises.  That's healthy, Erika, not encouraging them to starve themselves.  

ETA: Because I'm apparently not emotionally done with this, what on earth is Erika doing commenting about her daughter's weight and body in the comments section of her facebook page?!  That's highly personal stuff for any woman, let alone a self-conscious teenage girl whose body is still changing.  Erika, you suck.  

karen.jpg

Erika really does suck.  I haven't found the comment quite yet, but that is just absurd.  Fifteen pounds off of a growing girl?  I know she *thinks* Karen is done growing, but her body is still developing, maturing, gaining bone mass... She needs more than 54 calories (or 108 calories, if she's getting the larger serving) and half a gallon of water for breakfast, as does the rest of the family.  

She's setting her up for quite the eating disorder, as well as unrealistic expectations for weight loss. Weight loss doesn't just take away from the part that irritates you (or your mom).  :my_angry:

One of my bosses in Korea was like this with her very thin, very physically active daughter. She put her on a diet and also gave her weight loss pills. If you want to ensure that your daughter has issues with her body, putting more pressure on her at home (and on the internet!  thanks, Erika) always helps.  :pb_rollseyes:

Erika really does suck.  I haven't found the comment quite yet, but that is just absurd.  Fifteen pounds off of a growing girl?  I know she *thinks* Karen is done growing, but her body is still developing, maturing, gaining bone mass... She needs more than 54 calories (or 108 calories, if she's getting the larger serving) and half a gallon of water for breakfast, as does the rest of the family.  

She's setting her up for quite the eating disorder, as well as unrealistic expectations for weight loss. Weight loss doesn't just take away from the part that irritates you (or your mom).  :my_angry:

One of my bosses in Korea was like this with her very thin, very physically active daughter. She put her on a diet and also gave her weight loss pills. If you want to ensure that your daughter has issues with her body, putting more pressure on her at home (and on the internet!  thanks, Erika) always helps.  :pb_rollseyes:

Here's the quote 

Our daughter's weight is right in check and she's very healthy. She only had about 15 to lose, and carried it all-over and especially in her legs so it was not as obvious to other people.

From this entry (its in the comments): http://www.largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2013/06/losing-baby-weight-part-2-trim-healthy.html

I can't believe Erika made those comments publicly. From the way she talks about it, I doubt Karen was the one who asked to eat less. I'm sure Erika has good intentions but this kind of negative body talk is part of what leads to disordered eating and body dysmorphia. Knowing how critical Erika is of herself and others, I can imagine her nagging Karen about the weight. And us all knowing how much of a control freak she is, we know she probably didn't leave it up to Karen to figure out how she could eat differently (if she desired to do so). 

Here's the quote 

From this entry (its in the comments): http://www.largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2013/06/losing-baby-weight-part-2-trim-healthy.html

I can't believe Erika made those comments publicly. From the way she talks about it, I doubt Karen was the one who asked to eat less. I'm sure Erika has good intentions but this kind of negative body talk is part of what leads to disordered eating and body dysmorphia. Knowing how critical Erika is of herself and others, I can imagine her nagging Karen about the weight. And us all knowing how much of a control freak she is, we know she probably didn't leave it up to Karen to figure out how she could eat differently (if she desired to do so). 

Honestly, tl;dr, but I scanned the article. 

Have I mentioned that Erika makes me ragey? 

:censor2:

First of all, she doesn't know what the hell she's talking about! She doesn't know anything about nutrition! Just like a previous poster said, she will listen to whatever lines up with/confirms her beliefs and take it as fact. That's so irresponsible! 

Also, Erika, you can't gain 5 pounds in a few days. Seriously? See above. She has no idea what she's talking about. 

The fact that she's encouraging a 15 pound weight loss for her teen daughter who's at a healthy weight, is absurd! She should be affirming her daughter, and giving her lots of reasons to love her body. Here's another idea, how about being an example of body positivity for your children? 

It's also not very "Christian" to be so obsessed with your weight/body/appearance, is it? I definitely got ear fulls at church, about why my struggle with anorexia was vain. :roll:

I'm still sick and on lots of meds.... Sorry if this isn't eloquent. I just couldn't let this slide without saying something. 

Was her sick perception of poor Karen's weight based on her perceived ability (or lack thereof) to get a man?  My hatred for Erika has reached a boiling point now.

What is it with these fundies and the way they fat shame their perfectly lovely daughters?!?  Years ago on "However Many Kids and Counting," Michelle was shown taking Jana to Weight Watchers.  We know Ken and Lori shamed at least one of their daughters for her weight.  And Erika has made her teenager lose FIFTEEN POUNDS?!? What a cruel woman. She has virtually guaranteed that poor girl will have body image issues for the rest of her life.  When a young girls knows even her mother doesn't find her pretty enough, thin enough....whatever....it's very damaging.  And shame on Bob, as the head of the household, for sitting back and letting his daughter be humiliated like that!  I'm starting to worry more and more about those poor children. 

While Erika has never mentioned Karen's weight w/ relation to boys/courtship/etc., I do think there is a connection. Erika and many other fundies often talk about how looking good for one's husband is absolutely paramount. So in other words, I can't say I'm surprised that so many fundie women drag their daughters into a cycle of body dysmorphia and body hatred. Women have enough body negativity to deal with in the "mainstream" world. I can imagine that it is even worse in fundiedom because a woman's sole purpose is to be submissive and pleasing to her husband.  

@iweartanktops6 You were very eloquent, meds or not. I hope you feel better soon!

Was her sick perception of poor Karen's weight based on her perceived ability (or lack thereof) to get a man?  My hatred for Erika has reached a boiling point now.

What is it with these fundies and the way they fat shame their perfectly lovely daughters?!?  Years ago on "However Many Kids and Counting," Michelle was shown taking Jana to Weight Watchers.  We know Ken and Lori shamed at least one of their daughters for her weight.  And Erika has made her teenager lose FIFTEEN POUNDS?!? What a cruel woman. She has virtually guaranteed that poor girl will have body image issues for the rest of her life.  When a young girls knows even her mother doesn't find her pretty enough, thin enough....whatever....it's very damaging.  And shame on Bob, as the head of the household, for sitting back and letting his daughter be humiliated like that!  I'm starting to worry more and more about those poor children. 

It's not only fundies who fat shame their daughters.  I was fat shamed as a teen (I couldn't wear shorts because my legs 'looked like tree stumps') and spent my tween/teen years only being allowed to eat the light or diet versions of food.  

I'm now 35 and still have food and body image issues to this day.

I'd be a little bummed if I had to eat salad every day. I would think they would change it up in the winter and have soup instead.

No, soup requires too much creativity. My goddess in knickers, she might have to change the schedule for SOUP. There is nothing creative about Queen Erika of the Hamster Cage. Her tiny, circumscribed world has no room for creativity - hell, where she would she STORE something as boundless as creativity? There are not knock off rubbermaid containers to hold something so wondrous.

It's not only fundies who fat shame their daughters.  I was fat shamed as a teen (I couldn't wear shorts because my legs 'looked like tree stumps') and spent my tween/teen years only being allowed to eat the light or diet versions of food.  

I'm now 35 and still have food and body image issues to this day.

You are right. I didn't mean to make it a narrow issue. I too have had issues with my mother.  Even when I was a size 3 or 5 in high school, she'd remind me that I needed to watch my food intake because "You're tiny now but you're built just like (insert relative's name here) and look at her now."  I guess that's how I feel like I know what Erika's daughter (and the others) are probably feeling when their parents can't see them as beautiful no matter their weight. I'm sorry for the struggles you had and continue to have.  Believe me, I get it.  I'm 48 and would still love to have a complimentary word from my mother, especially considering I have recently lost 27 pounds. The only good thing to come of my struggle is that I've had such compassion and clarity with my own daughter when it comes to weight issues...at least I've strived for that. 

I guess what bothers me so much with "these" families is because they claim to be so compassionate and to cherish each child. They claim to teach modesty and timidity when all along they are just shaming their daughters into looking like the very worldly image of perfection they claim to reject. 

I am getting angrier and angrier the more I follow this discussion.  Not about the discussion itself, but about Erika and her ridiculously stringent rules, schedules, and food control over her children. God, those poor children, especially the girls with the subtle and not-so-subtle fat-shaming going on.  

We frequently watch our twin seven year old great-nephews.  We pick them up from school once a week, feed them (snacks and dinner), take them back home & put them to bed so their parents can have a much needed break.   Anyway, they come home from school FAMISHED (they eat lunch at 10:40am so everyone can get through the lunchroom.)   I know Erika's kids have no concept of "coming home from school famished" but I really do suspect they are often hungry during the day. Plus, there is a lot of joy around eating and preparing food, and it seems Erika and many of these fundie moms have wrung all that joy right out of the process!

Anyway, I am AMAZED at what these little guys (and they are little for their age; they were teeny preemies) can put away now in terms of food! 

At least one large "Aunt NotFundy" homemade cookie or other treat, a large apple or two apiece, some nuts ..all before dinner!  And then they eat a regular dinner with some protein, carbs, and a veggie.   AND THEY GET ICE CREAM FOR DESSERT EVERY WEEK!!

ARGGGGHHHH  These poor kids!  I didn't let my kids eat constantly when they were growing up (and they had to ask or check in about taking stuff when they were grade-schoolers) but I offered a lot of flexibility and choices, and they ate just about everything.   ARGHHHHHHHH

You are right. I didn't mean to make it a narrow issue. I too have had issues with my mother.  Even when I was a size 3 or 5 in high school, she'd remind me that I needed to watch my food intake because "You're tiny now but you're built just like (insert relative's name here) and look at her now."  I guess that's how I feel like I know what Erika's daughter (and the others) are probably feeling when their parents can't see them as beautiful no matter their weight. I'm sorry for the struggles you had and continue to have.  Believe me, I get it.  I'm 48 and would still love to have a complimentary word from my mother, especially considering I have recently lost 27 pounds. The only good thing to come of my struggle is that I've had such compassion and clarity with my own daughter when it comes to weight issues...at least I've strived for that. 

I guess what bothers me so much with "these" families is because they claim to be so compassionate and to cherish each child. They claim to teach modesty and timidity when all along they are just shaming their daughters into looking like the very worldly image of perfection they claim to reject. 

I had issues with my own mother putting me on a diet, who did a wonderful job, but did succumb to the "thinner=better" message that is permeating society and, by extension, the media.  (As a side note, I don't blame her, as her mother put her on a diet, etc. etc, and that was the expectation of womanhood when she was growing up).  I think that's why I am reacting as emotionally as I am to Erika Shupe pressuring her daughters to be thin.  I just can't understand why Christian fundamentalists, who give a good talk about resisting popular culture and media and express how evil they find it, etc. still manage to fall prey to the expectation that their daughters must be stick thin to be attractive to men and land a husband.  

I had issues with my own mother putting me on a diet, who did a wonderful job, but did succumb to the "thinner=better" message that is permeating society and, by extension, the media.  (As a side note, I don't blame her, as her mother put her on a diet, etc. etc, and that was the expectation of womanhood when she was growing up).  I think that's why I am reacting as emotionally as I am to Erika Shupe pressuring her daughters to be thin.  I just can't understand why Christian fundamentalists, who give a good talk about resisting popular culture and media and express how evil they find it, etc. still manage to fall prey to the expectation that their daughters must be stick thin to be attractive to men and land a husband.  

My mom never put me on a diet, nor did she praise weight loss, but I absolutely succumbed to "worldly" pressure to adhere to a certain ideal.  In a sick way, it seems like a rite of passage for American teenagers.  But if fundies are trying to avoid worldly issues, they are failing in this regard.  It raises a quality question: what benefits does avoiding the world truly provide, if the worst aspects (body issues; sexual abuse -- within families, no less; child abuse; malnutrition in growing children; a refusal to work that borders on idleness -- less a Shupe issue, but prominent in many other fundie families) still infiltrate the godly Christian family?

I shall assume that it's a magic form of Jesus-logic, since traditional logic completely fails here.

I was also browsing her old blog and comments (procrastinating in a BIG way here, but this is more fun :) ) and found these moments:

1. BLESSED WIFE - I am not incapable of discussion with you, and am not making this next comment because I cannot handle controversy - but if you continue to be mean-spirited and attacking I will have to delete your comments. This is a safe place for discussion and for learning truth together. Please guard your tongue.

Love to each of you ladies as you grow closer to our Heavenly Father each day. *hugs* *smile*

And forget about the comment about anything more than shaved hair being long - *shesh* - I'll just take that part out. We're all adults here, and we can all tell what hair length looks feminine and what does not. I'm not going to get deep-deep in to theology on this.

2. Erika%25252Bheadshot%25252B9%25252B2011.

Correction, I've never been criticized "to my face" about my hair - until today. That was totally uncalled for, "Blessed Wife".

No comments from Blessed Wife are to be seen.  According to Bob, 

Blessed Wife: your comments have been removed. Please don't try to convince yourself that it is because we disagree, it is not. It is because you are being disagreeable and as previously noted that is not what the comment section of this blog is for. You are welcome here, your comments are also welcome here as long as you/they are respectful and considerate of all of the readers/writers here. 

As we have talked about before, this blog is like our living room. you are welcome (invited) here but if you choose to behave poorly you will politely be shown to the door where you can catch some fresh air and then come try again when you have recomposed yourself. Of course you can also choose not to come back but that is purely your choice. 

Thanks again to everyone else who were gracious in your comments, in agreement or otherwise. This blog is a labor of love in the truest sense and Erika and I take all of the content including feedback and comments to heart and with careful consideration which is part of the reason that personal attacks and rehtoric just doesnt fit here.

Best regards,

Bob Shupe

There are lots of other worthwhile, notable weird problems which crop up in the comments about Erika's short hair.  What stands out to me is her inability to tolerate dissent or disagreement, and how Bob enforces that kind of weird non-interaction with inquiring minds.  These quotes are from the short hair discussion: http://www.largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2011/11/short-hair-and-femininity-what-does.html

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived