IGNORED

Jill & Jessa specials coming - MERGED

quiversR4hunting

Tlc posted another video of Ben discussing fatherhood.

he said he is worried about the teen years ironic because up until May he was one.

and says it's a blessing to be a dad.

and then he calls spud his name. And something to the effect that when he comes home from work spud makes crazy eyes at him all this while spud lies in his arms

ben is not that deep and that is coming from me

he tries to be -but he isnt

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing interesting about the specials will be the interviews about Josh.  I know they were coached, but I actually felt sorry for Joseph and John David (mostly Joseph, as he appeared genuinely upset.)  The problem TLC has is that there's a limited amount of times they can play that angle.  The segment with Jill, Jessa, Derrick and Ben was boring as fuck.  There's no way those four can carry a series.  I think after this round of specials the Duggars will be relegated to periodic VSEs for milestone events.  

17 hours ago, Lewy said:

I'm half Polish and Polish is HARD to learn. If your sister can learn Polish, surely the Dullards can learn some Spanish, which is a much easier language for an English speaker to pick up. 

I'm taking a trip to Poland to visit some family, as I am half Polish- I agree, it's HARD!

Speaking of learning Polish, Duolingo just released its Polish for English Speakers course today.  I am very excited about using the "L with the line through it."

TLC has posted more clips for the episode Sunday. PR working overtime.

Here is Jinger speaking out:

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/jill-jessa-counting-on/it-was-so-unreal/

I don't like how TLC added clips in when Jinger is talking about the scandals with Josh. They show her with Jessa at a used baby store buying a chair. I feel the two don't relate. TLC please fire the editor of this show.

Here is Jill speaking out:

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/jill-jessa-counting-on/jill-speaks/

Jessa is also in the video. So far Jessa and John David are the only two not crying when talking about Josh.

Jill says that she still would have said the truth on The Kelly File hosted by Megyn Kelly. Surprised that Megyn Kelly got a mention on the show.

Here is Ben talking about being a dad:

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/jill-jessa-counting-on/life-as-a-new-dad/

Most surprising thing is that Ben works. Sorry Ben but working for Jim Bob doesn't count. It sounds like Ben actually changes diapers and gets up in the night.

I really want to see the clip of Jana speaking about Josh.

36 minutes ago, GeoBQn said:

Speaking of learning Polish, Duolingo just released its Polish for English Speakers course today.  I am very excited about using the "L with the line through it."

I love Duolingo! Apparently I am the 31st person to try the new Polish for English Speakers course, and am thoroughly amused by how many consonants this language seems to have. :pb_lol: I am a quarter Polish but estranged from that side of the family... maybe if this had been around when I was younger, my grandmother would have made more sense!

(Perhaps we should create a Duolingo thread somewhere if there isn't one already so as not to distract from this already fascinating topic)

I've seen lists that say Polish is the most difficult language to learn, because it has seven cases and seven genders plus difficult pronunciation.

I think English speakers often assume Asian languages are more difficult because there are characters to learn and the tonality, but there are no cases, genders, and grammar is fairly simple.

claritaslux.com/blog/the-hardest-language-to-learn/ has more detail.

Hello all --
Had to catch up on my 19kids news before the special on Sunday.  Yes, I will be watching.  (No, I'm not a Nielsen household or anything that will be counted.)  No, I will not be supporting any of the sponsors.

Buzzard -- I'm happy to help transcribe the event, if you want some help.  (However, I would leave the witty comments up to you.)  I can't drink/watch because I have to be up & out early Monday a.m. to help with a toys for tots distribution.  If anyone wants to bake & send hash browns, though, I'll gladly answer the door! ;)

Before people sling mud at me for watching - I still have good friends who are in Duggar-ville.  They have no idea that I live for FJ.  [Although it probably wouldn't be a Big surprise to some of them --- because in my former life living on the fringes of ATI-land, I used to call bullshit on some of their crap. (e.g. - "grieved," not being able to speak my mind because I was female, disagreeing publicly with my headship's bullshit, etc.)]  Being a 2x sexual abuse survivor + a wife forced to put up/cover up ex's cheating x ? years, I understand from the inside what these girls have been forced to say & told how to feel.  I've heard the "spin" from the D-friends -- now I'm interested in what Anna, Jill, & Jessa are able to say.  

Spoiler

Spoiler

59 minutes ago, Cactus said:

I love Duolingo! Apparently I am the 31st person to try the new Polish for English Speakers course, and am thoroughly amused by how many consonants this language seems to have. :pb_lol: I am a quarter Polish but estranged from that side of the family... maybe if this had been around when I was younger, my grandmother would have made more sense!

(Perhaps we should create a Duolingo thread somewhere if there isn't one already so as not to distract from this already fascinating topic)

No worries for now, thread drift is officially codified now :D 

I have been using Mango for Czech this year because Duolingo still hadn't released it last time I checked. I actually like the app better, I think. My public library subscribes so it's technically not "free" but once you figure out how to link the account and the app, it's awesome.

18 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I feel like for an English speaker without much prior language training, Polish would be just below Xhosa and Arabic on the scale of difficulty to pick up. Really tough grammar, really tough pronunciation. Spanish, I think, is a lot easier -- more more regular, easy pronunciation, some grammar rules to remember but they generally make sense and flow naturally (unlike English), and a lot of cognates and words with similar roots to ones in English. I stopped formally studying Spanish 7 years ago and I still remember enough to give people directions and hold fairly basic, halting conversations. I'm sure if I spent some time in a Spanish-speaking country, it would come roaring back.

Very true. My father was born in Australia two years after his parents immigrated from Poland, and I'd define my Polish as 'conversational', not fluent. because it's difficult to be truly fluent in the language without the exposure you get living in the country and being in school and having tons of lessons with the grammar etc etc. I can go to Poland and order off a menu and ask about trains and buses and I can watch an episode of 'Poland's Next Top Model' or an interview with a footballer and understand 85% of it, but I don't truly understand how the grammar works, but and definitely can't write a grammatically correct essay on a topic like political science or something

I did study Spanish at University for fun though and found that it was rather easy to pick up....the grammar rules were far less complex than in Polish, words are said how they are written and once you master a couple of different sounds and know how each letter was supposed to be said, you can read out loud. And unlike Polish, there are a lot of resources out there for second language speakers. Polish doesn't really have that. It's pretty easy to pick up with a bit of effort, which is why I am always surprised that Jill's Spanish doesn't seem good for someone who claims to be really passionate about learning it and has had years of so called 'lessons'. Spanish is pretty easy....a couple of years of Spanish lessons can give someone decent conversational skills, and Jill has had plenty of travel opportunities to South America so it baffles me how her Spanish is so bad. 

5 hours ago, silverspoons said:

The People magazine article says that all the boys wanted to be just like Josh. He was their role model. So they boys all knew about the molestation and Josh was still their role model? Wouldn't Elliott Spurgeon been a better role model? or Jesus? Is being a balding child molesting used car salesman really  the ideal for the Duggar youth.

To be fair though, Josh really did seem to be held up as the 'golden child' of the Duggar family. Looking back at the early specials, you can see Josh is really elevated as like 'leader' of the siblings, so it sort of makes sense for them to look up to him a bit despite what happened. 

1. I wonder how much did JD and Joe truly knew about the molestations and the severity of what happened. They were minors themselves at the time it happened In 2002/2003, JD would have been 12/13 and Joe would have been 7-8 and in 2006, JD would have been 16 and Joe would have been 11. I doubt they were truly exposed to the extent of what happened. 

2. They did know something was wrong based on being questioned in the investigation, but I would not be surprised if it was very much glossed over by Boob and Me-chelle as 'Josh did something a little wrong, but god forgives him so we all need to forgive him too' and then it was never spoken about again. These kids are brainwashed and a lot of this was before they got more 'real world' exposure from their shows. They sound more horrified about the cheating than the molestations, because in their screwed up ATI culture, cheating on your wife is worse than sexually assaulting minors. They come from a culture where the girls got blamed for what happened. At least now they seem to understand that it's Joshely who is the horrible person, not the girls. 

6 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Former nurse here...it looks like a piece of clothing or blanket. The edges are too regular for it to be a blood stain. Plus it's too high up in relationship to where it should be.

That's what I thought, too - probably a blanket between sheets.

6 hours ago, silverspoons said:

The People magazine article says that all the boys wanted to be just like Josh. He was their role model. So they boys all knew about the molestation and Josh was still their role model? Wouldn't Elliott Spurgeon been a better role model? or Jesus? Is being a balding child molesting used car salesman really  the ideal for the Duggar youth.

Brainwashed children.  I bet JB coached them. 

I am surprised at how many clips TLC is releasing. I just watched the one with JD and Joe. Maybe these are the only relevant ones to get you to watch the show, the rest of it will be a snooze fest.

I'm still bothered about Jill and Jessa throwing their younger sisters under the bus during the Fox interview. Oh, it was nothing, just light touching over the clothes, we didn't even know about it until our parents told us. Sorry ladies, it was a lot more than that for your little sisters. You should not have minimized their experience. :angry-cussingblack:

9 hours ago, doubleT said:

I think that's the longest I've ever heard Joseph or John David speak. 

They both looked so pained.

When John David was saying how he now had to be the example for his younger brothers, I could hear his parents telling him that and putting that burden onto him.   

I also noticed how neither young man mentioned the scandals by deed, just by scandal #1 and #2.  I guess #2 did make more of an impact on them since they have grown up knowing about #1.  John David was probably made to respect Josh even after he molested his sisters and the family friend because of Jesus and forgiveness. 

My guess is that even John David (who was old enough to understand) did not know the full extent of the molestation. The boys were probably told no more than that Josh had touched a couple of sisters inappropriately and that he was going away to pray away the sin. The girls probably were too ashamed to talk about it much even among themselves, so they wouldn't have told the boys the details.  

Then when Josh returned supposedly "saved" and cleansed of sin, and the parents treated him like a special person, and he was the oldest and so the first one to drive, the one who could actually do real work building the TTH etc. . . .

Well, of course they thought that he was someone to look up to.  The boys probably forgot all about the molestation because the family downplayed it so much.  Even now they may not know as much as we know unless the sisters have told.  They don't have full acces to the internet.

As for JD, I suspect that he already had a lot of the younger boys looking up to him, the accessible older brother instead of distant Josh. He may not have been conscious of it as a responsibility though, until his parents gave him the "All our hopes are on you now, Son!  Your younger brothers need you," speech.  

As for the boys not being able to call Josh's offenses by their name, I suspect the family generally doesn't call a lot of things by name.   

As others have mentioned, the pressure in this cult to be perfect in every way - is especially hard on older guys & girls.  We were told things like:
"You have to be an example to your siblings.  You're their leader."  
"All the younger girls are watching you - don't mess up."

It's even worse if you're from a core family whose parents are "pillars of the church" " ...the community." (or politically)
"Don't you dare due anything to embarrass us or damage our reputation in this town."

Youth pastor would indoctrinate us from ATI ever Sunday night for 90 minutes.  ... Sadly, some of the cult-speak never really leaves ... To the point that when I was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago, my first crazy-brain-tape-from-many-moons-ago said:  "Unconfessed sin, bitterness, and fornication are the root of all diseases, including cancer."  

So much cult-speak, so deeply trenched .... so many emotions that are rebuked or invalidated ... all feeling are glossed over and negated.  Highest form of disrespect to those who were wronged so deeply.

9 hours ago, silverspoons said:

How sick that the parents knew of Josh's actions yet still put him on a pedestal for the younger kids to follow and look up to.  Josh never had any true consequences for his actions and continued to walk around God like.  That scumbag would've kept up with his undercover lifestyle if he wasn't caught.  I don't think he will ever change, just be more discreet next time.

Well that's it for JD, I'm guessing he'll stay if for no other reason than out of guilt and a sense of obligation, and to prove he can be the man Josh never was. I see him being married by 30 or permanently celibate, but I suspect the first.

Joe sounds like he was terribly blindsided by all of this and it seems like he hinted at feeling betrayed and lied to but of course had to forgive or be accused of being a bad Christian. I doubt he knew or even still doesn't know the full extent of what Josh did to his sisters. Either the editing is good or he just seems like this was all news to him. I could see him going fundie lite in the future, he just seems like a cat who got the tablecloth pulled out from under him.

Jinger makes me sad. She looks genuinely hurt with good reason.

Is it bad that I hope that Josiah doesn't show up and that I hope that the reason is because he's pissed off and they know if he talks, he won't be able to hide it? 

Seriously though, where is the outrage? I don't for a second believe that out of 19 kids that not even a single one is not absolutely and undeniably furious.

3 hours ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

As others have mentioned, the pressure in this cult to be perfect in every way - is especially hard on older guys & girls.  We were told things like:
"You have to be an example to your siblings.  You're their leader."  
"All the younger girls are watching you - don't mess up."

It's even worse if you're from a core family whose parents are "pillars of the church" " ...the community." (or politically)
"Don't you dare due anything to embarrass us or damage our reputation in this town."

Youth pastor would indoctrinate us from ATI ever Sunday night for 90 minutes.  ... Sadly, some of the cult-speak never really leaves ... To the point that when I was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago, my first crazy-brain-tape-from-many-moons-ago said:  "Unconfessed sin, bitterness, and fornication are the root of all diseases, including cancer."  

So much cult-speak, so deeply trenched .... so many emotions that are rebuked or invalidated ... all feeling are glossed over and negated.  Highest form of disrespect to those who were wronged so deeply.

It's always so good and interesting to hear frome someone who was abel to break out. How did you manage to do that. With all the brainwashing I belive it must be really hard.

7 hours ago, jqlgoblue said:

I've seen lists that say Polish is the most difficult language to learn, because it has seven cases and seven genders plus difficult pronunciation.

I think English speakers often assume Asian languages are more difficult because there are characters to learn and the tonality, but there are no cases, genders, and grammar is fairly simple.

claritaslux.com/blog/the-hardest-language-to-learn/ has more detail.

Yeah, I had so many people tell me how hard Mandarin is, but honestly, once you get the tones down and memorize characters/learn to discern meaning and sound from the parts of the character, the language isn't especially difficult. The grammar is very straightforward: SVO with few exceptions, verbs don't change, no genders (in fact, there's no distinction between "he" and "she" in spoken Chinese), no cases, and tense is indicated through time words (today/tomorrow/yesterday/before/after) or particles (了indicates completion, 过 is sort of like present-perfect -- "have done" something). I think vocabulary is the hardest part, really, since at least with Romance languages, sometimes (but not always) you can take an educated guess by thinking of Latin roots if a word escapes you, but with Chinese, you just have to know it. I guess I'm fortunate to hang out with younger Chinese people who throw in English words mid-sentence all the time, so if I forget a word, I can just code-switch and covertly look it up in my dictionary later.

All I can say is that TLC is brilliant if they are doing what I think they are here.  I think they are releasing all these clips early enough that they have a full day and a half to quickly analyze the public reaction and then add footage, cut footage, even film new footage, allowing them to put the best spin possible on things based on what the audience wants and needs.  All of the commentary and attention all over the internet gives them such a huge leg up in their efforts to create and present a product that people will buy.  Well played, TLC, well played.  

As a British viewer, is this likely to be on youtube or whatever? I'm waiting with baited breath and I better not be disappointed just because I live across the pond.

The Daily Mail has now picked up the story from People. However, the writer of the article still is confusing Joseph and John David. It's not that hard. Just Wikipedia the birth dates. Here is the incorrect information: "Josh Duggar's brothers John-David, 20, and Joseph, 25, are speaking out for the first time in the new TLC special Jill & Jessa: Counting On" Also, the article does not mention that Josh molested the family babysitter. It only mentions his sisters.

Link to article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3357068/I-tell-older-brother-don-t-want-like-anymore-Duggar-brothers-finally-break-silence-turn-Josh-affairs-sex-scandals.html#comments

Nothing new in the article, but the comments are the best.

Best Comments So Far:

-"I still find them fascinating in a sick sort of way. Such weirdos the lot of them."

-"Who are these people and what relevance do they have to a British news website?"

-"wow... TLC will do anything to keep this show on TV."

-"I remember when TLC was The Learning Channel. Now it's The Loser Channel."

-"Notice that Mom and Dad left their kids to take the heat?"

-"They will say or do anything to avoid going out and getting jobs to stay on television!"

6 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

As for the boys not being able to call Josh's offenses by their name, I suspect the family generally doesn't call a lot of things by name.   

That was seen pretty clearly too in the police reports, where a lot of kids used juvenile names for parts of the anatomy at ages where you'd expect kids to use the correct terminology. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived