IGNORED

Truck Upcycling With Lady Lydia

Anny Nym

Off topic, but I once broke a pair of champagne flutes at Macy's...with my ass. :? Welcome to the sisterhood.

LOL I feel so close to you now! What a special club.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Her latest post is about taking walks outside or inside the house to promote mental well being (as a kind of fundie mindfulness exercise I suppose) and staying away from reading the world news, because Jesus wants good Christian ladies to pursue inner peace and hearing about famine and war may upset them. Instead of being informed about the state of this world, she wants you to read her friends' blogs for some interesting home decoration ideas and Bible quotes, and watch videos that encourage you to wash your dishes, because this is more meaningful than the situation in Ukraine. The girls that get kidnapped by Boko Haram and the bombs that are destroying houses in Syria are not important in the grand scheme of things, when you look at all the trucks going past your house and you realize that your favorite grocery store is still getting deliveries and you can get yarn to sew to your heart's content. All is well as long as your own life is orderly and the supplies plentiful.

That "mirror" looks like something a small child would have put together. :?

So Lady Lydia went for a walk around her yard, perched a tea cup(it looks empty) on a swing, and then mentioned that after a few days of walking you are going to have to pack a ton of shit to take with you on these walks. Don't worry if the weather is so bad you can't walk outside, you can just walk in circles in side. She has a sad, sad, sad life.

She also had a tea time picnic on an old bench her children made when they were little. She had a guest and served things like pumpkin souffle, but no pictures of the food or the guest. Since Lady Lydia has a tendency to serve things like wilted American cheese slices, I am am a bit surprised she whipped up a pumpkin souffle.

The newest post is about a lovely tearoom she visited:

I just thought I would share this with you and let you know sometimes you can find places to visit when you need to go out, that do not depress you, have annoying music, or assault your senses with things that are abrasive or disagreeable, and if you have a place like this in your area, be sure and visit it.

Why do I feel like an awful lot of trivial everyday stuff is too overwhelming for her.

I just thought I would share this with you and let you know sometimes you can find places to visit when you need to go out, that do not depress you, have annoying music, or assault your senses with things that are abrasive or disagreeable, and if you have a place like this in your area, be sure and visit it.

Why do I feel like an awful lot of trivial everyday stuff is too overwhelming for her.

WTF did I just read? Is it a LL version of the Cheers theme song?

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name

Where everybody's glad you came

You want to be where people see

Troubles are all the same

You want to go

Where everybody knows your name

And Lady Lydia desperately needs to talk to Fraser.

She and Mrs White, two peas in a pod they are. It seems that day to day life gives them "the vapors", hmm?

Not only can one fall down the rabbit hole that is these particular blogs... then there are the blogs that are LINKED to the primary "fundy" blogs.  A whole 'nother kettle of fish as it were.  

I just got sucked into one... (rather poor writing and not much of interest, but I read about ten entries anyway)  Now I can't find it;  I think the title was something like "retro housewife".   THEN I found out that "retro housekeeping"  is a "thing" (like having a schedule of washing on Mondays, sewing on Tuesdays... etc.)

I must admit I'm kinda interested in this stuff, even though I've worked outside the home my entire life - - I did it while "only" having two kids & I do have a husband that does a lot at home.  I have much respect for women (and men) who are home raising children.  And indeed, for people who choose, and can afford to, be home period.    This young woman in the retro housewife blog was complaining bitterly about how EVERYONE including her mom and mom-in-law, are pressuring her to have a career and she doesn't want to.  Or need to. 

I'm remarried now for many years, but my first husband died young leaving me with a one year old & and almost-five year old.  I was VERY happy to have a career at that point, let me tell you.  So there's that. 

Anyway - - housekeeping + working outside the home are not mutually exclusive is what I wanted to tell this young blogger.  

Here's a book I love that speaks to just that point.   This post probably doesn't exactly belong here, but while it was on my mind I thought I would share.  

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Comforts-Science-Keeping-House/dp/0743272862  

That blog makes me sad. She writes so many posts trying to prove how happy she is yet she has anxiety leaving the apartment and gets so upset when someone is making conversation or looking for information and asks her where she works. She thinks everybody condemns her and judges her for her choices and she wrote that she has 50 people a week asking her why she's not working...I don't get it. When I was a SAHM I didn't even MEET 50 people a week, let alone new people who didn't already know what I do. So many posts are about "why aren't people telling me it's OK to stay home and I'm so important doing this for my husband" I get the feeling it's really more about her justifying her choices to herself and not to anybody else. If she's anxious and can't leave the apartment, might as well make a virtue out of it.

I firmly believe that Lydia's cheese is slipping off the cracker. I figured out a long time ago that she's a really low energy person, like Anna T. They're all so damn sure that the world is really out to get SAH wives and mothers. I'm a SAHM/homeschooler, and I don't have 1/100th of the trouble with other people's expectations, she would lead people to believe she has. I've never ever had anyone comment on either my lack of a job or our homeschooling. In fact, most people have nothing but positive to say about them.

I firmly believe that Lydia's cheese is slipping off the cracker. I figured out a long time ago that she's a really low energy person, like Anna T. They're all so damn sure that the world is really out to get SAH wives and mothers. I'm a SAHM/homeschooler, and I don't have 1/100th of the trouble with other people's expectations, she would lead people to believe she has. I've never ever had anyone comment on either my lack of a job or our homeschooling. In fact, most people have nothing but positive to say about them.

Same here, Sobeknofret.  Other than a couple of part-time stints, I've basically been home for 21 years.  And homeschooled.  No one has ever really said boo about either.

These fundie SAHM bloggers have to create some made-up drama and excitement because they have none in their lives, IMO.  Go bowling or something for christ's sake.

That blog makes me sad. She writes so many posts trying to prove how happy she is yet she has anxiety leaving the apartment and gets so upset when someone is making conversation or looking for information and asks her where she works. She thinks everybody condemns her and judges her for her choices and she wrote that she has 50 people a week asking her why she's not working...I don't get it. When I was a SAHM I didn't even MEET 50 people a week, let alone new people who didn't already know what I do. So many posts are about "why aren't people telling me it's OK to stay home and I'm so important doing this for my husband" I get the feeling it's really more about her justifying her choices to herself and not to anybody else. If she's anxious and can't leave the apartment, might as well make a virtue out of it.

She does not have children, right? I think she stays home because of health reasons IIRC. I skimmed it a while back.   Its a normal question to ask a person about work. I get asked when I meet new people, and only once had an asshole say something like my wife would never want to stay home she would be bored, or something like that. He was a dick anyway and kept losing his job, so I think that's why his wife worked. Its just a way of making conversation, not a judgment.

Same here, Sobeknofret.  Other than a couple of part-time stints, I've basically been home for 21 years.  And homeschooled.  No one has ever really said boo about either.

These fundie SAHM bloggers have to create some made-up drama and excitement because they have none in their lives, IMO.  Go bowling or something for christ's sake.

I really have not either, but there have been a few times I was uncomfortable with it. Some of the women from my Husband's work were chatting, they are incredibly smart and accomplished, I don't think they judged me but I felt inferior and found myself justifying staying home, they were like, "hey whatever you do is cool" Whenever I feel like that its usually me and not them.

So Lady Lydia went for a walk around her yard, perched a tea cup(it looks empty) on a swing, and then mentioned that after a few days of walking you are going to have to pack a ton of shit to take with you on these walks. Don't worry if the weather is so bad you can't walk outside, you can just walk in circles in side. She has a sad, sad, sad life.

All she needs now is some yellow wallpaper.

This quaint text is a must read.  http://homeliving.blogspot.com/2015/10/the-christian-lady-and-hospitality.htm

The Bible tells us to be rich in good works. This, to a Christian lady, means that she should invite other Christian ladies over for some tea and sandwiches. But be prepared, some people  may turn your invitation down because they have strange ideas. You should help the other ladies live a more hospitable Christian life by helping, hinting, and pressuring them to invite you back. But do not get discouraged if no one returns your invitation. You are going to feel more refreshed just by virtue of having bought new tea towels. If you sew yourself a nice new dress and an apron for the tea party, you will inspire your guests to dress in a more feminine manner.

Holy cow, AmazonGrace, that was depressing. Does this woman have any friends? Why all the hand-wringing about how to invite people over and make sure they invite you in return? Just pick up the phone and call your friends, Lydia! All you have to say is, "We want to order pizza and play board games next Saturday. Are you interested?" Invite your neighbor over for a happy hour cocktail or glass of wine. Schedule a blowout feast with your best girlfriends and cook it together. Who cares if they invite you back right away; quid pro quo has no place in friendships anyhow. Invite people over when you want to see them and let them do the same for you. If you're true friends it'll all even out.

Also, now I know that she makes her table cloths and dresses out of the same fabrics when she throws a party. Because that's not weird.

is this really tea? Berries in hot water?  Can we have coffee as an option as well?  Cocoa? Wine?  I would say most of my friends would give me the side eye if I gave them a few berried in hot water and called it tea.

-If pressed for time, the dollar stores have crackers and cheese and all manner of things to set out for a tea party. Hot tea (try my fragrant berry tea- a few berries with hot water!) served in. A tea cup has a way of making any humble food a delicacy and any occasion a high-end celebration

Holy cow, AmazonGrace, that was depressing. Does this woman have any friends? Why all the hand-wringing about how to invite people over and make sure they invite you in return? Just pick up the phone and call your friends, Lydia! All you have to say is, "We want to order pizza and play board games next Saturday. Are you interested?" Invite your neighbor over for a happy hour cocktail or glass of wine. Schedule a blowout feast with your best girlfriends and cook it together. Who cares if they invite you back right away; quid pro quo has no place in friendships anyhow. Invite people over when you want to see them and let them do the same for you. If you're true friends it'll all even out.

Also, now I know that she makes her table cloths and dresses out of the same fabrics when she throws a party. Because that's not weird.

She has very faux-Victorian ideas about what hospitality means. If it's not a formal "call" it's not hospitality. She often decries how informal people have gotten in the modern era. She thinks she'd be much happier and the world would be a happier place if we could all go back to the Victorian era (she wouldn't be happier in a genuine Victorian era dress or home anyway.)

And no, she doesn't have any friends. That's what the little jab about inviting pastor's wives was about- she's a pastor's wife!

is this really tea? Berries in hot water?  Can we have coffee as an option as well?  Cocoa? Wine?  I would say most of my friends would give me the side eye if I gave them a few berried in hot water and called it tea.

-If pressed for time, the dollar stores have crackers and cheese and all manner of things to set out for a tea party. Hot tea (try my fragrant berry tea- a few berries with hot water!) served in. A tea cup has a way of making any humble food a delicacy and any occasion a high-end celebration

Ugh. So much to unpack in that dreadful post. And yes, putting berries in hot water is not a fucking tea. It's hot berry juice and it's gross. And china from the dollar tree doesn't make anything a delicacy, it makes it sadder. Inmates in for-profit prisons eat meals that are cheerful compared to purple hot water and cheese slices. Cripes.

You will suffer many strange remarks such as "I can't do anything like this myself, and I can't do it as well as you, so I don't want to come."  

No, because that never happened. Lydia is a liar. No, that's not quite right. Lydia is a fabulist; anyone who thinks that a length of cheap fleece is a coat could possibly convince herself that people are intimidated by her hospitality skills. They are not, because Lydia doesn't really offer hospitality. She isn't extending good fellowship or sharing delicious food or having conversations - she's LARPing all by herself, and doing it very badly. What she wants is for all her neighbors to drop abandon their hobbies, jobs, and ideas of a good time in favor of putting on garish pink costumes and pretending to be Nice Victorian Ladies. Of course, she doesn't actually read anything, so she has no idea of how the Victorians of her dreams actually lived. Nor does she realize that Victorians practices their form of hospitality because it fit in with their lifestyle and societal expectations. Today things are different, so the ways we entertain are different.

I live near a display garden that has an annual tea where people dress up and indulge in insanely complicated pastries and whatnot. It's a fundraiser, but more that that it's a goofy social event where everybody acknowledges that they're playing dress and has a good time. 

And in 1880 a woman of Lydia's station would count herself lucky to have three dresses in her closet, and they would all be dark and plain as befitting her age and role as a minister's wife. Christ.

You will suffer many strange remarks such as "I can't do anything like this myself, and I can't do it as well as you, so I don't want to come."  

It just sounds like they're looking for a way to decline politely and make it sound like a compliment but really they mean, "Thanks but no thanks, I don't want to play Victorian ladies with you."

In the comments Lydia says it's feminism's fault that women don't host parties anymore. I am a feminist who both hosts and attends tons of parties, but if I invited friends over, greeted them wearing a dress made of the same fabric as my table cloth, and gave them hot water with a blueberry in it, they would side-eye very hard and ask me if I was okay. Maybe Lydia thinks people don't entertain because they're so thrown by her particular brand of weirdness. Like, they're thinking, "WTF is this weirdo doing? She is making me feel very uncomfortable," and she thinks they're thinking, "What are these strange and gracious customs? Because I believe women are equal to men, I am a complete stranger to the notion of hospitality and have no idea how to have people over to my house."

In the comments Lydia says it's feminism's fault that women don't host parties anymore. I am a feminist who both hosts and attends tons of parties, but if I invited friends over, greeted them wearing a dress made of the same fabric as my table cloth, and gave them hot water with a blueberry in it, they would side-eye very hard and ask me if I was okay. Maybe Lydia thinks people don't entertain because they're so thrown by her particular brand of weirdness. Like, they're thinking, "WTF is this weirdo doing? She is making me feel very uncomfortable," and she thinks they're thinking, "What are these strange and gracious customs? Because I believe women are equal to men, I am a complete stranger to the notion of hospitality and have no idea how to have people over to my house."

There is no way in hell Lydia would commit to actual hospitality. NO WAY! Having a little reception after church or a holiday open house would mean that her playhouse home would be sullied by women wearing pants and maybe bearing tins of their own shortbread. GASP! Anyone who brings a hot dish to a potluck might as well dump that casserole on the infant Jesus, because progress stopped fifty years before Lydia was born, vaccines, civil rights, and microwave ovens be damned.

Archived