IGNORED

Truck Upcycling With Lady Lydia

Anny Nym

Can you imagine what the neighbor's reaction will be when they discover the truck's renovation?

I am trying to decide what to put under the canopy. If I absent mindedly lock myself out of the house, it would be good to have somewhere to go, so maybe I should furnish it well.

This is just so sad to me.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Lydia would stop her dollar tree spending sprees, she could save enough money for some real china. Just sayin...

It's paper plate thrift. :cry:

She could have a lot of fun finding interesting little pieces in antique stores and garage sales, maybe read a few books on the subject. I've been collecting china in a very amateur way for 20 years and have a few really lovely tea cup and saucer sets (mostly art deco) that I use regularly. You don't have to shell out $1500 for a Paragon trio, or anything, but it can be a fun hobby, especially the searching and the very rare real finds. Part of me wants to take Lydia out treasure hunting, and part of me wants to smack the living shit out of her.

The pink flower box nearly did me in, but I was able to reach my inhaler in time. I'm a little ashamed at how hard I laughed while reading her post.

I remember reading a post some time back where she went into great detail about how she plans for her afternoon tea parties. She showed the table, and it was magnificent. Not an inch was left undecorated. What broke my heart a little was the fare she had artfully arranged around the table. Center stage was a platter of limp, sweaty cheese slices. She said she was going to have people Skype in to join the party, and I hope that was true. The thought of a Walter Mitty-esque tea party where she talks to an empty room that is bustling with friends in her mind is just too sad to contemplate.

Around these parts, every farm keeps an old truck ( even if it is not used anymore) for sentimental reasons or for the historical value.

Um. No, you uncultured swine, we don't. I don't know where she's from, but I've lived in South Dakota and Tennessee, and unless the truck is super old (not a Scottsdale 20 series from the 70s with wheat growing through the seats) and you know what we did when we needed to get rid of a truck?

We got rid of the g.d. truck.

My dad's roofing company had a lot of old vehicles, because carting as much supplies and equipment around as they had to (especially back in the days of tar roofing), all over eastern South Dakota, southwestern Minnesota and northwestern Iowa, meant they built up mileage quickly and wore out pretty quickly. Apart from one, which if I remember right was from the 50s and we kept because Grandpa wanted to keep it and restore it one day, we didn't hang onto old work trucks for sentimental reasons and certainly not for historical value. It was a work truck. It had spilled tar dried into every inch of the truck bed. There's no historical value in that.

Ugh, god. Who is this woman? Here I go down the rabbit hole. At least it's too hot outside to do anything on this Labor Day!

Today's post is about a little basket(she got at the Goodwill! It is not all Dollar Tree crap!) that she takes with her in the car when she goes on errands so that she can have a light lunch and a cold drink. I can just see her pulling into the bank parking lot, setting up a table, whipping out her white parasol and eating lunch.

I think she is bored out of her mind and actually hates her life so she goes through all these steps to create this imaginary life where she is a proper, rich lady of the past who has people drop by for tea and needs to pack a lunch when she goes on errands.

I think she is recycling ideas. She also has a wicker basket that she calls a "homemaker's motivational tool."

The homemaker's basket contains: furniture polish, dust cloths and other cleaning supplies, scented candles, pink scented trash bags, a Bible, a pretty notebook for random deep thoughts, cookie cutters, a tea cup, tea bags and snacks.

I carry around a bucket full of cleaning supplies when I clean, but I put them all down and go into the kitchen if I want a cuppa.

Edit: OMG, it seems she deleted the motivational tool post but someone saved a photo.

4.bp.blogspot.com/...FaDZg/s1600/DSC07734.JPG

This was a long time ago, but her son once suggested that since her children were all adults now maybe she could get a job at McDonald's. She had a minor freakout at that suggestion. I don't know if the son thought the family needed money or he thought she was just bored. She would post long lists things women should do before working outside the home, articles about why older women shouldn't, articlles about how working women hurt the economy, etc... She clearly can't stomach the thought of a job outside the home so she needs to make herself seem extremely busy somehow to justify her life. Why does she to justify her life? I guess others have realized it might be beneficial if she got out of the house a little more.

Today's post is about a little basket(she got at the Goodwill! It is not all Dollar Tree crap!) that she takes with her in the car when she goes on errands so that she can have a light lunch and a cold drink. I can just see her pulling into the bank parking lot, setting up a table, whipping out her white parasol and eating lunch.

I think she is bored out of her mind and actually hates her life so she goes through all these steps to create this imaginary life where she is a proper, rich lady of the past who has people drop by for tea and needs to pack a lunch when she goes on errands.

If she really does take that basket with her in the car, Lady Lydia should invest in an insulated lunch box or some small insulated containers to place inside of her lunch basket. That way, it looks pretty to her, while any food that requires refrigeration remains at a safe temperature.

Food poisoning is nasty and I don't wish it on anybody. :disgust:

Maybe it's me, but I read this as a passive-aggressive dig at her husband for not getting rid of the unsightly, broken-down old work truck that she has to see from her window every day.

And maybe he intentionally leaves the truck there specifically to bother her.

I've always got the impression that Lydia and her hubby have long since ceased to love each other, don't even like each other, and only tolerate their married life out of habit, and because their religion mandates it.

Also, on Lydia's part, she would have to get a job to support herself if she ever chose to leave, and she'd rather live a lonely, semi-isolated, unhappy existence with him than do that.

I get the feeling that he's been a big disappointment to her as a provider, leaving her stranded in rural Oregon, making do with dollar- and thrift-store finds to create the home she's always dreamed of. So she finds passive-aggressive ways to get back at him--using her craft and homemaking skills to mark every last space and surface in that house as HERS. Oh, sure, he may be head of the household, and she's just the properly submissive helpmeet, but damn it if she isn't going to make the entire house as frilly, pink, and hyperfeminine as she can.

And since anything that has to do with homemaking is her domain in this strictly-gendered system, and having an opinion on the decor is unmanly, he can't really argue. So why not park that beat-to-shit, turd-brown truck within her line of sight, and leave it to rot there? And as a way of getting back at him, she's "pinkified" the truck.

Because I am bored and it is really HOT outside and JRod still hasn't put up a pic of the new house, I will say I am from the heartland of farming in East Central Illinois and while a couple of farms within a 60 mile radius have an old broken down truck somewhere, UMMMMM NO if we want to keep an old truck to work on we put it in the machine shed, we don't leave it sitting in the driveway for years then decorate it curtains and a canopy!!

This was a long time ago, but her son once suggested that since her children were all adults now maybe she could get a job at McDonald's. She had a minor freakout at that suggestion. I don't know if the son thought the family needed money or he thought she was just bored. She would post long lists things women should do before working outside the home, articles about why older women shouldn't, articlles about how working women hurt the economy, etc... She clearly can't stomach the thought of a job outside the home so she needs to make herself seem extremely busy somehow to justify her life. Why does she to justify her life? I guess others have realized it might be beneficial if she got out of the house a little more.

This is very interesting. She never mentions a son, only her daughter. I wonder if he left the fundie life, and if there are more black sheep out there.

Can you imagine what the neighbor's reaction will be when they discover the truck's renovation?

This is just so sad to me.

This was the most resonant part of the post to me as well. She has a close neighbor who constantly leaves flowers, tea, and cookies on her back porch, yet she doesn't seem to spend much time with her. Lydia feels the need to "furnish" the back of a truck in case she's locked out rather than leave a key with that neighbor? Or hide a damned key under one of the 23584 doily-covered rocks around the house? It's just so bizarre that she even foresees a potential need to create a place to live, however briefly, in the back of the truck. (Which looks like a turd in a tutu.)

I tend to agree with the posters who speculate that this was the result of a grudge match between she and her husband. I get the impression that she may have recently been locked out of the house, called him to come let her back in, and he responded in a negative way.

If Lydia would stop her dollar tree spending sprees, she could save enough money for some real china. Just sayin...

But then she would only have ONE set, and not FIFTY! :pink-shock: Whatever would she use at her kitchen table, at the breakfast nook, in the garden party table set, in her parlour, and when she loses it in the wedding dress ruffles in her dining room?

If you ever think Lady Lydia is the craziest decorator, remember it was her friend that made this. penny-pennystreasures.blogspot.ca/2013/08/welcome-home-tour.html?m=1

post-9940-14452000810281_thumb.jpg

If you ever think Lady Lydia is the craziest decorator, remember it was her friend that made this. penny-pennystreasures.blogspot.ca/2013/08/welcome-home-tour.html?m=1

Ohhhh, Penny and her Miss Havisham meets Bluebeard dining room... I'm almost tempted to half-admire Penny for her eccentricity... almost.

Ho-Kay! I was just about to ask if Lydia was the wedding dress table decorations lady. It boggles my mind to think there are TWO of them! :lol:

Lydia has two sons and one daughter at least. I think the sons flew the pink coop a while ago. She is also not all that broke. She was in Australia quite recently visiting family.

I agree with FundieWatcher. We all laugh at Lydia's home and garden decorating, but she is really quite poisonous. She and Jennie Chancey founded Ladies Against Feminism (LAF/Beautiful Womanhood). On FJ we don't pay much attention to LAF these days, but read at your own risk. They have a habit of editing or deleting their most offensive posts and delete all negative comments.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the personal information about Lydia on two "hater" sites and they haven't been updated for years, but homeyliving.blogspot.com has some of the worst best of Lydia, and sweepingthecobwebs.blogspot.com also took her apart, although that blog was primarily focused on Candy.

Another trip down memory lane. :)

Was Lydia the lady who had the tent in her front yard for tea? She filled it with a lot of doilies, a daybed with a frilly cover, ect? She was so upset when summer ended (this was either last year or the year before, possibly earlier) because she had to take down the tent.

I agree with FundieWatcher. We all laugh at Lydia's home and garden decorating, but she is really quite poisonous. She and Jennie Chancey founded Ladies Against Feminism (LAF/Beautiful Womanhood). On FJ we don't pay much attention to LAF these days, but read at your own risk. They have a habit of editing or deleting their most offensive posts and delete all negative comments.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the personal information about Lydia on two "hater" sites and they haven't been updated for years, but homeyliving.blogspot.com has some of the worst best of Lydia, and sweepingthecobwebs.blogspot.com also took her apart, although that blog was primarily focused on Candy.

Another trip down memory lane. :)

Yes, this. I laugh at the crazy, but... then I remember the nasty, vicious comments she makes couched in oh-so-gracious and genteel language and I get disgusted as all get out. For someone who claims to be such an upstanding Christian woman, she treads dangerously close to "whitewashed graves full of bones", does she not?

Was Lydia the lady who had the tent in her front yard for tea? She filled it with a lot of doilies, a daybed with a frilly cover, ect? She was so upset when summer ended (this was either last year or the year before, possibly earlier) because she had to take down the tent.

It was curtains hanging on a tree, I think? I don't remember a tent but knowing Our Lady of the Paper Doily she could have had a tent too.

Penny makes Lydia look Amish. Check out her fall home tour here

penny-pennystreasures.blogspot.com/2015/09/fall-home-tour.html

Clearly not a lot of cooking goes on in that kitchen!

Remember the TV show "Pimp My Ride?" This could be for a a show called "Fundie My Ride."

I swear to Dog. Fundies have no aesthetic eye. And I wonder how LL's husband feels being surrounded by so much pink.

All I know is that my SO would run away screaming if I tried to do any of this, ever.

Who am I kidding, so would I because that would mean I've been bodysnatched.

Archived