IGNORED

Harry Potter Convo From the Josh Thread

HarryPotterFan

I disagree. I found Stephan Fry's reading to be a thousand times better. Jim Dale puts me to sleep. Shame the only way I can get the Stephan Fry audiobooks is through illegal downloads, as I can't seem to actually buy them in the US.

I love both versions. I'm a huge fan of Dale because he really puts the effort into all the voices (although his Hermione/Ginny can get to be a bit grating for me since they're so weird at times, especially when he says 'Oh, Harry!' in a weirdly sappy tone) and seems to have a different voice for EVERY character. Also, his voicing of Dumbledore and Snape towards the end of HBP is one of the best portions of any audiobook I have ever listened to. But I also love Stephen Fry because his narration in general is so great and I prefer his interpretation of the descriptions in the books. But now that I think about it, when I really want to go back to my childhood I do reach for Dale......

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree. I found Stephan Fry's reading to be a thousand times better. Jim Dale puts me to sleep. Shame the only way I can get the Stephan Fry audiobooks is through illegal downloads, as I can't seem to actually buy them in the US.

I loved Stephen Fry's reading of the Harry Potter books. He really knows how to use the English language to its best advantage.

I love both versions. I'm a huge fan of Dale because he really puts the effort into all the voices (although his Hermione/Ginny can get to be a bit grating for me since they're so weird at times, especially when he says 'Oh, Harry!' in a weirdly sappy tone) and seems to have a different voice for EVERY character. Also, his voicing of Dumbledore and Snape towards the end of HBP is one of the best portions of any audiobook I have ever listened to. But I also love Stephen Fry because his narration in general is so great and I prefer his interpretation of the descriptions in the books. But now that I think about it, when I really want to go back to my childhood I do reach for Dale......

The way Dale does his Hermione voice, especially the, "Oh, Harry" always made me flinch. It just annoys me, it's like he's trying to portray Hermione and Ginny as whiney and insufferable. It honestly makes me not want to listen to him even though I love the rest of the audio books. I haven't had the chance to listen to Stephen Fry's version.

This thread just keeps getting better and better. Whoever first brought HP into this - you are my personal hero!

I'll have to make the additions when I'm not on my phone, but here are the ones I've seen not already listed:

Rita Skeeter - Pickles (no explanation necessary)

Cho Chang - Marjorie Jackson (Had a famous boy for a hot sec and lost heart pieces because of it; also, they both have fabulous hair)

Dennis and Colin Creevey - Howlers with cameras! (:lol:)

Morfin Gaunt - Pissing Preacher (both are insane. Or something.)

The Portrait of Mrs. Black - Zsu Zsu (someone mentioned this a while ago and I almost died laughing)

Luna Lovegood - Alecia Pennington (now has her own awesome style and was smart enough to get out - worthy of Ravenclaw)

I was actually sorted into Slytherin. :lol: I have no issue saying the kids are potential future Slytherins/Death Eaters. With their upbringings they don't have much of a chance to see other viewpoints - Slytherin is notorious for taking a certain type of student and that prevents most of them from seeing other view points.

Sorry if this is OT. But has Alecia read Harry Potter? If you're following this thread, hon, STOP and GO READ THEM NOW.

Yesss. Jim Dale is the bomb narrator. I borrowed the audiobooks (discs) from the library and burned them into my iTunes library to listen to when I need to visit my wizard friends. [emoji4]

I know this is way off topic but this needs a huge

AMEN!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!

Stephen Fry, a favorite celeb of my family also did the British version which was good but Jim Dales performance is nothing short of fanfuckingtastic. my son listened to those books a good 20 times (dyslexic so he audiobooks it day and night) and damn if I didn't enjoy them more every time.

What is amazing is he did the voices before the movies and they still match up with the actors. Perfection.

Now go listen. Freejinger will still be here when you get back.

The way Dale does his Hermione voice, especially the, "Oh, Harry" always made me flinch. It just annoys me, it's like he's trying to portray Hermione and Ginny as whiney and insufferable. It honestly makes me not want to listen to him even though I love the rest of the audio books. I haven't had the chance to listen to Stephen Fry's version.

I've listened to both versions a couple of times, and, while I think Jim Dale did a great job, I prefer Stephen Fry hands down. His version is so much more engaging to listen to, IMO.

You Harry Potter deficient people hurt my soul! :lol:

But the ones that will start the series and get excited and then will want to have a thread dedicated to first time Harry Potter readers who want to talk about it with long term HP fans - yay!

I love talking to HP virgins once they realize how awesome it is and how much they were missing!

I just realized in am HP evangelist. I'll lock myself in the prayer closet until I realize that not everyone has the same beliefs in Harry as we do.

But the ones that will start the series and get excited and then will want to have a thread dedicated to first time Harry Potter readers who want to talk about it with long term HP fans - yay!

I love talking to HP virgins once they realize how awesome it is and how much they were missing!

I just realized in am HP evangelist. I'll lock myself in the prayer closet until I realize that not everyone has the same beliefs in Harry as we do.

Oh man, I am too! I shun and try to convert the non-believers! The HP prayer closet is a cupboard under the stairs, right?

There is a HP/lit thread in the worldly distractions topic. I'd link but I'm on my phone.

I have found this thread very insightful and somewhat addictive; however, I must confess:

I too am one of those sad sad people who has never read Harry Potter. *hanging head in shame* I think it's the ONE set of books my daughter keeps at college with her so I can't even go into her room and pull out the first one to start the series :cry: :cry: :cry:

I will say that I started reading it but I just could not get past how cruel that family was to Harry before he was sent to school. I told my daughter that and she keeps telling me to "push forward Mom. You'll love it."

*deep breath* Okay...I feel better after that confession. Will search for the books this week.

Finally managed to update this. I present to you all, Version III of the unofficial, "VelociRapture Approved Fundie Potter List" (see bolded entries): :)

Lord Voldemort - Gothard

Professor Dumbledore - Curious (our fearless leader with a talent for extremely long posts :lol:)

Professor McGonagall - HappyAtheist (our other fearless leader who is much more blunt and doesn't care for bullshit :lol:)

Dumbledore's Army - FreeJinger

Ludo Bagman - Josh Duggar (Has horrible gambling/sexually based problems, blames everyone else for his issues, and runs away rather then deal with the fallout)

Narcissa Malfoy - Anna Duggar (Holds disgusting beliefs, but genuinely loves her children)

Andromeda Tonks - The escaped Keller children (Love their family desperately, but disagrees with their way of life. Left to pursue a life that better fits their ideals and is shunned for it.)

That Bitch Umbridge - Michelle Duggar (Speaks in a ridiculous baby-voice. Demands immediate obedience from her students/children. Seems to take sick joy in harming others. Has a bone to pick with Muggles/anyone Transgender or LGBTQ)

Barty Crouch Sr. - JimBob Duggar (Stickler for Rules. Sent his own child to Azkaban without a trial. Helped him escape as a last wish for his dying wife and then kept him imprisoned for over a decade. Must be in control at all times.)

Peeves the Poltergeist - JD Duggar (Thanks to the time he helped trash a car at a wedding. . .)

Bellatrix and Rodolphus Lestrange - The Pearls (Do I really need to explain this one :lol:)

Professor Quirinus Quirrell - David Waller (Devoted to the cause and without mercy.)

Marvolo Gaunt - Gil Bates (Prejudiced against muggles and muggle-borns/Transgenders and LGBTQ people. Forces his children to live in squallor due to his poor choices. Rules over his children with an iron fist.)

Alecto Carrow- Kelly Bates (A Death Eater in favor enough to be named Professor of Muggle Studies and Deputy Headmistress in Book 7)

Cormac McLaggen - Lawson Bates (Seems nice enough, but he is WAY too into himself sometimes)

Fenrir Greyback - Steve Gothard (Both go around physically assaulting unwilling victims; doesn't care who he hurts so long as he gets what he wants. . . plus they're both just creepy)

Professor Cuthbert Binns - Ben Seewald (Professor of History of Magic. Well-known for his extremely boring lectures that no one actually listens to)

Helena Ravenclaw/The Grey lady - Jessa Seewald (Both are beautiful, proud, and kind of bitchy. Also they have really long hair and each took something that wasn't their's to take - Rowena Ravenclaw's diadem and Jana Duggar's jewelry box)

Sir Cadogan - Derick Dillard (Partly because he's a relatively harmless oaf whose just kind of there. . . also because Sir Cadogan is a mad Knight and you'd have to be insane to join the Duggar family willingly)

Marietta Edgecombe - Jill Dillard (Both have a talent for snitching on others apparently)

Bertha Jorkins - Priscilla Waller (A bit forgetful and a bit of a gossip. Relatively harmless, but easily gets herself into trouble.)

Gilderoy Lockhart - Jill Rodrigues (The hair! The manic grin! The insistence that all attention be on them at all times!)

Romilda Vane - Amy Duggar (Uses love potions to try and entrap Harry in a relationship; see Amy's quick engagement :lol: ; I kid, I kid)

Winky the House-Elf - Any female child born into a Fundie family (Desperate to please and serve, devastated when they mess up)

Sybill Trelawney - Megyn Kelly (Occasional bursts of genius sandwiched between long bouts of bullshit)

Pansy Parkinson - Beall Phillips (No real reason; I just don't like either of them)

Nagini - Doug Phillips is a Tool (Anaconda hunting anyone? :lol:)

Neville Longbottom - Lourdes (Slayer of Nagini. :lol:)

Crookshanks - The orange cat from Derick's Catgate scandal; one of the few smart and heroic characters at the TTH

Mary Riddle - Grandma Mary (The well from which the evil sprang. . . also, they have the same first name - its obviously fate!)

Fluffy the Three-Headed Dog - Bubba, the Duggar's Dog (Free Bubba!)

Beedle the Bard - FJ's very own Buzzard! (Thank you for doing the recaps for us; the sacrifice of your brain cells shall not be forgotten!)

Norbert the Dragon - VelociRapture (its the closest to a Dinosaur this book series has!)

Order of the Phoenix - Recovering Grace (If you need an explanation to understand this then you need to google their website)

Cho Chang - Marjorie Jackson (Had a famous boy for a hot sec and lost heart pieces because of it; also, they both have fabulous hair)

Dennis and Colin Creevey - Howlers, now with cameras! (:lol:)

Morfin Gaunt - Pissing Preacher (Both are insane, attack muggles, and talk to snakes for fun. . . Or something.)

The Portrait of Mrs. Black - Zsu Zsu (someone mentioned this a while ago and I almost died laughing)

Luna Lovegood - Alecia Pennington and Cynthia Jeub (now have their own awesome style and were smart enough to get out - worthy of Ravenclaw)

To please QueenofHeats -

The Invisibility Cloak - The Lost Girls (Neither are really seen or heard; excellent comparison! :cry:)

And to please WalkingCatBed -

Slytherins and Future Slytherins - Any Fundie blessing under the age of 18 (Have the potential to be Death Eaters, but could also turn out to be half-way decent people; cannot be held responsible because they don't know any better yet)

*Cynthia Jeub was added to Luna Lovegood to please many posters, including SamuraiKatz (whose username makes me giggle). :D

I have found this thread very insightful and somewhat addictive; however, I must confess:

I too am one of those sad sad people who has never read Harry Potter. *hanging head in shame* I think it's the ONE set of books my daughter keeps at college with her so I can't even go into her room and pull out the first one to start the series :cry: :cry: :cry:

I will say that I started reading it but I just could not get past how cruel that family was to Harry before he was sent to school. I told my daughter that and she keeps telling me to "push forward Mom. You'll love it."

*deep breath* Okay...I feel better after that confession. Will search for the books this week.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding them at your local library. Ours has multiple paperback and hardback copies as well as audiobook copies. :)

Finally managed to update this. I present to you all, Version III of the unofficial, "VelociRapture Approved Fundie Potter List" (see bolded entries): :)

Lord Voldemort - Gothard

Professor Dumbledore - Curious (our fearless leader with a talent for extremely long posts :lol:)

Professor McGonagall - HappyAtheist (our other fearless leader who is much more blunt and doesn't care for bullshit :lol:)

Dumbledore's Army - FreeJinger

Ludo Bagman - Josh Duggar (Has horrible gambling/sexually based problems, blames everyone else for his issues, and runs away rather then deal with the fallout)

Narcissa Malfoy - Anna Duggar (Holds disgusting beliefs, but genuinely loves her children)

Andromeda Tonks - The escaped Keller children (Love their family desperately, but disagrees with their way of life. Left to pursue a life that better fits their ideals and is shunned for it.)

That Bitch Umbridge - Michelle Duggar (Speaks in a ridiculous baby-voice. Demands immediate obedience from her students/children. Seems to take sick joy in harming others. Has a bone to pick with Muggles/anyone Transgender or LGBTQ)

Barty Crouch Sr. - JimBob Duggar (Stickler for Rules. Sent his own child to Azkaban without a trial. Helped him escape as a last wish for his dying wife and then kept him imprisoned for over a decade. Must be in control at all times.)

Peeves the Poltergeist - JD Duggar (Thanks to the time he helped trash a car at a wedding. . .)

Bellatrix and Rodolphus Lestrange - The Pearls (Do I really need to explain this one :lol:)

Professor Quirinus Quirrell - David Waller (Devoted to the cause and without mercy.)

Marvolo Gaunt - Gil Bates (Prejudiced against muggles and muggle-borns/Transgenders and LGBTQ people. Forces his children to live in squallor due to his poor choices. Rules over his children with an iron fist.)

Alecto Carrow- Kelly Bates (A Death Eater in favor enough to be named Professor of Muggle Studies and Deputy Headmistress in Book 7)

Cormac McLaggen - Lawson Bates (Seems nice enough, but he is WAY too into himself sometimes)

Fenrir Greyback - Steve Gothard (Both go around physically assaulting unwilling victims; doesn't care who he hurts so long as he gets what he wants. . . plus they're both just creepy)

Professor Cuthbert Binns - Ben Seewald (Professor of History of Magic. Well-known for his extremely boring lectures that no one actually listens to)

Helena Ravenclaw/The Grey lady - Jessa Seewald (Both are beautiful, proud, and kind of bitchy. Also they have really long hair and each took something that wasn't their's to take - Rowena Ravenclaw's diadem and Jana Duggar's jewelry box)

Sir Cadogan - Derick Dillard (Partly because he's a relatively harmless oaf whose just kind of there. . . also because Sir Cadogan is a mad Knight and you'd have to be insane to join the Duggar family willingly)

Marietta Edgecombe - Jill Dillard (Both have a talent for snitching on others apparently)

Bertha Jorkins - Priscilla Waller (A bit forgetful and a bit of a gossip. Relatively harmless, but easily gets herself into trouble.)

Gilderoy Lockhart - Jill Rodrigues (The hair! The manic grin! The insistence that all attention be on them at all times!)

Romilda Vane - Amy Duggar (Uses love potions to try and entrap Harry in a relationship; see Amy's quick engagement :lol: ; I kid, I kid)

Winky the House-Elf - Any female child born into a Fundie family (Desperate to please and serve, devastated when they mess up)

Sybill Trelawney - Megyn Kelly (Occasional bursts of genius sandwiched between long bouts of bullshit)

Pansy Parkinson - Beall Phillips (No real reason; I just don't like either of them)

Nagini - Doug Phillips is a Tool (Anaconda hunting anyone? :lol:)

Neville Longbottom - Lourdes (Slayer of Nagini. :lol:)

Crookshanks - The orange cat from Derick's Catgate scandal; one of the few smart and heroic characters at the TTH

Mary Riddle - Grandma Mary (The well from which the evil sprang. . . also, they have the same first name - its obviously fate!)

Fluffy the Three-Headed Dog - Bubba, the Duggar's Dog (Free Bubba!)

Beedle the Bard - FJ's very own Buzzard! (Thank you for doing the recaps for us; the sacrifice of your brain cells shall not be forgotten!)

Norbert the Dragon - VelociRapture (its the closest to a Dinosaur this book series has!)

Order of the Phoenix - Recovering Grace (If you need an explanation to understand this then you need to google their website)

Dennis and Colin Creevey - Howlers, now with cameras! (:lol:)

Morfin Gaunt - Pissing Preacher (Both are insane, attack muggles, and talk to snakes for fun. . . Or something.)

Luna Lovegood - Alecia Pennington and Cynthia Jeub (now have their own awesome style and were smart enough to get out - worthy of Ravenclaw)

To please QueenofHeats -

The Invisibility Cloak - The Lost Girls (Neither are really seen or heard; excellent comparison! :cry:)

And to please WalkingCatBed -

Slytherins and Future Slytherins - Any Fundie blessing under the age of 18 (Have the potential to be Death Eaters, but could also turn out to be half-way decent people; cannot be held responsible because they don't know any better yet)

*Cynthia Jeub was added to Luna Lovegood to please many posters, including SamuraiKatz (whose username makes me giggle). :D

Wow! This is amazing! Thank you for putting this together. The character choices are so spot on. Even though I was in my 30's, I read every book, as soon as they came out. Also, this series will always hold a special place in my heart, because it was how I taught my oldest son, to enjoy reading. He had always enjoyed me reading picture books, with him, but wasn't real keen on reading to himself. I started reading one or two chapters a night, to him. One night, I got busy with with laundry, and asked him to wait. He picked up the book, and went to his room. We didn't see much of him, after that; he became a full fledged bookworm. :D

Oh man, I am too! I shun and try to convert the non-believers! The HP prayer closet is a cupboard under the stairs, right?

There is a HP/lit thread in the worldly distractions topic. I'd link but I'm on my phone.

I moved a couple of months ago and in our new house we have a cupboard under the stairs! My youngest is 6'3" and he was able to fold himself up to barely fit but when we first looked at the house our whole family of HP fans were dying!

I just wanted to be super clear that you didn't mean MY cupboard under the stairs because I don't want a bunch of HP virgins in my house - it will turn me into Aunt Petunia. :lol:

You shouldn't have any trouble finding them at your local library. Ours has multiple paperback and hardback copies as well as audiobook copies. :)

I am one of those muggles who has never, ever had a desire to read HP. *ducks to avoid flying tomatoes* My husband and daughter have been trying for years to get me interested, but no dice. However, last year on a family trip we checked out the first two HP books from the library to listen to on our billion-hour car ride. They were the ones narrated by Dale, and I loved them. He brought the books to life for me. So while I will never become a HP evangelist like the poster above, I agree that sometimes listening to books can be far more stimulating than reading. And I say that as an avid reader who consumes books.

ETA: Josh Duggar is a disgusting, unfaithful, hypocrite pig.

Deal breaker! Haha. I met a hot guy who said he stopped after the fourth book even though he knew there were two more after. Boy doesn't even know how many books there are. That killed my attraction :lol:

Ha! I'm now viewing myself as a HP-fundie, trying to get people to read the Good Books of JK Rowling. He's willing to read them and watch the movies, and has even speculated on what house he would want to be sorted into (Gryffindor, of course. My Slytherin heart weeps a little).

(I don't even care about the Duggars anymore. Josh is a pig, his family sucks, and I feel bad for Anna and the littles. I don't know that I have any more to contribute than that. I'm just here for the HP-nerdery).

Im an uber HP Fan myself. My partner confessed that she had never read the books and had only seen a few of the movies. The other day she asked me how it all ended. This turned into an hour long discussion with me bawling as I tried to explain all the symbolism and connections. She thought it was cute even the fact that I have a Fawkes tattoo, I was mortified. Such a great series.

On a side note: I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what the horcruxes and patronuses (patroni?) would be.

Im an uber HP Fan myself. My partner confessed that she had never read the books and had only seen a few of the movies. The other day she asked me how it all ended. This turned into an hour long discussion with me bawling as I tried to explain all the symbolism and connections. She thought it was cute even the fact that I have a Fawkes tattoo, I was mortified. Such a great series.

On a side note: I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what the horcruxes and patronuses (patroni?) would be.

Well, the horcruxes could be all the feet Gothard has touched....creates a new one?? Maybe that is going too far.

Well, the horcruxes could be all the feet Gothard has touched....creates a new one?? Maybe that is going too far.

So where in the forums, someone compared heart pieces to horcruxes. That works for Gothard being Voldemort. If lustfull thoughts = heart pieces...

snip

I am one of those muggles who has never, ever had a desire to read HP. *ducks to avoid flying tomatoes* My husband and daughter have been trying for years to get me interested, but no dice. However, last year on a family trip we checked out the first two HP books from the library to listen to on our billion-hour car ride. They were the ones narrated by Dale, and I loved them. He brought the books to life for me. So while I will never become a HP evangelist like the poster above, I agree that sometimes listening to books can be far more stimulating than reading. And I say that as an avid reader who consumes books.

ETA: Josh Duggar is a disgusting, unfaithful, hypocrite pig.

Although I adore reading, I can't muster up any fucks to give about anything HP. It has distressed many people, who believe I MUST read the books. One such person even insisted on playing the CDs on a road trip. Still not interested (I have no idea who the narrator was.)

I probably should have cross posted in the unpopular opinion post...

VR - I think your Harry Potter-Fundie list influenced my dreams last night and I had a dream that Lourdes, singer of "Royals" (since I have to check SOTDRT to learn more about the Fundie one) had an account here and she wrote an article for a magazine quoting various members to tell the world how much she learned here and how much she enjoyed snarking

Making that list/Piecing it together based off suggestions was totally worth it just for this. :lol:

Although I adore reading, I can't muster up any fucks to give about anything HP. It has distressed many people, who believe I MUST read the books. One such person even insisted on playing the CDs on a road trip. Still not interested (I have no idea who the narrator was.)

The books are great, but they aren't for everyone. My basic rule for books is the same as my rule for food - if you try it and don't enjoy it then that's fine and you don't have to try again if you don't want to. You gave them a shot (via CD) and didn't enjoy it - that's all that counts. :D

Fundies, on the other hand, piss me off because they don't even bother giving them a chance before labeling them evil and Satanic. :roll:

OMG! I didn't think of Mrs. Black as a character match for Zsu, but yes, she would fit. Mrs. Black's hatred of "anything not pureblood" sounds so much like Zsu. I can just see Zsu: "Filth! Scum! By-products of dirt and vilness! Half-breeds, mutants, freaks, begone from this place! How dare you befoul the house of my fathers Holy Church of the Shopping Center...."

Making that list/Piecing it together based off suggestions was totally worth it just for this. :lol:

The books are great, but they aren't for everyone. My basic rule for books is the same as my rule for food - if you try it and don't enjoy it then that's fine and you don't have to try again if you don't want to. You gave them a shot (via CD) and didn't enjoy it - that's all that counts. :D

Fundies, on the other hand, piss me off because they don't even bother giving them a chance before labeling them evil and Satanic. :roll:

I also tried reading the series-Just not my genre at the time and likely still isn't.

I have one kid who is a voracious reader over a wide range of topics from history to poetry, and he was not hooked either.

So relieved I'm not the only one! I love narnia and lotr and read all the john carter books (meh) and generally love reading...but HP is just not my thing. Glad I'm not the only book-loving adult non-fundie who feels that way. :-)

Archived