IGNORED

Michael (Bates) Keilen Bump Watch

Sweet Fellowship

I honestly could never imagine Brandon and/or Michaela explicitly preventing (barring some unforeseen circumstance, like Erin's clotting disorder). It's totally possible that they're just focused on enjoying each other, school, careers, etc, and haven't reached the stage where they are religiously (ha-ha) tracking her cycle, scheduling relations, or consulting with doctors. 

I also think is is incredibly rude for people to repeatedly ask women if they're pregnant, regardless of if the couple is actively trying or not. You never know what's going on behind the scenes or what issues the couple might be dealing with. Instagram leghumpers need to chill.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not directed at anyone - just a general statement. No offense intended.

I know there's a massive learning curve when people first discover these families and it can be ridiculously tough to try and catch up at times. I honestly sympathize because I was there not too long ago.

I do, however, find it interesting that more people aren't doing relatively basic research though. The family have a blog and the network has a whole website dedicated to providing basic (though highly sanitized) information about these people. Just looking fast will tell people where Michael attends school and what major she is pursuing. From there you can look for the college website to check for things like accreditation - which makes it extremely obvious her school is no Crown College. 

As for the benefits of her pursuing a degree when she likely will be a SAHM - educational pursuits are good for more than just future job prospects. It's an excellent way in which to challenge yourself intellectually and grow as a person too. Michael's pursuit of a degree is, as someone else said, one of the least snark worthy things about this family I can think of. Others may feel differently, but I'm not going to snark on someone looking to learn or better themselves through a legitimate educational program.

11 minutes ago, HowsMolly said:

I honestly could never imagine Brandon and/or Michaela explicitly preventing (barring some unforeseen circumstance, like Erin's clotting disorder). It's totally possible that they're just focused on enjoying each other, school, careers, etc, and haven't reached the stage where they are religiously (ha-ha) tracking her cycle, scheduling relations, or consulting with doctors. 

I also think is is incredibly rude for people to repeatedly ask women if they're pregnant, regardless of if the couple is actively trying or not. You never know what's going on behind the scenes or what issues the couple might be dealing with. Instagram leghumpers need to chill.

I miscarried in late February - almost no one knows about it. Most people I know are great about not asking others about being pregnant. I have one friend who has commented twice on stuff on social media saying we should have a baby soon. It's always appropriate to the photo she comments on because it's a photo of me having a blast with my nephew. And she has no way to know that its a bit of a tender topic - less so now that I'm five weeks into my second pregnancy.

I still get the urge to smack her a bit though. Which I hate because she is honestly the sweetest person ever! But yeah, I wish people wouldn't feel the need to ask or pry. It feels bad enough when I'm on the receiving end - can't imagine how any Fundy with tons of media exposure may feel about it. Especially if there are issues going on that they don't want to discuss (even if they kinda ask for that type of attention due to a show revolving around the premise of, "OMG WE BREED LIKE FUCKING RABBITS!")

51 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I miscarried in late February - almost no one knows about it. Most people I know are great about not asking others about being pregnant. I have one friend who has commented twice on stuff on social media saying we should have a baby soon. It's always appropriate to the photo she comments on because it's a photo of me having a blast with my nephew. And she has no way to know that its a bit of a tender topic - less so now that I'm five weeks into my second pregnancy.

I still get the urge to smack her a bit though. Which I hate because she is honestly the sweetest person ever! But yeah, I wish people wouldn't feel the need to ask or pry. It feels bad enough when I'm on the receiving end - can't imagine how any Fundy with tons of media exposure may feel about it. Especially if there are issues going on that they don't want to discuss (even if they kinda ask for that type of attention due to a show revolving around the premise of, "OMG WE BREED LIKE FUCKING RABBITS!")

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, and I'm happy to hear about the new news! :)

The biggest thing about this is that there is absolutely no positive outcome of asking someone if they're pregnant/telling them they should have a baby. It's not like saying someone should have a baby is going to make a lightbulb go off above their head and suddenly say, "You know what, you're right! We should have a baby!"

Either they don't want a baby right now and you're just annoying them, or they want a baby but are struggling to conceive, in which case you are actively upsetting them. No good can come of any of this.

16 hours ago, hollywood said:

The sex talk. Josh Duggar before his wedding said "oh, it's kind of like legos!" 

I thought it was JB that compared it to legos?

5 hours ago, JillyO said:

Of all the eleventy billion things that are snarkworthy about the Bateses, this might be quite literally the least snarkworthy thing. I applaud her for getting a proper education, every if she never does use it to work outside of the home. Since when is it ever bad to pursue education just for the sake of it? Not to even speak of the fact that the better educated the mother/homeschool teacher, the better the children's education will likely be.

I think there's some value in education for the sake of education.  There's never anything wrong with knowing more about one subject or another. 

3 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

If her education is the reason they're delaying pregnancy (assuming no fertility issues) than I give her a lot of credit.  

Considering that the Keilens are marinating in the Kool-Aid, the fact that she's getting an education while married and working (babysitting/nannying) really surprises me.  

As for education-- I don't think that Crown is worse than nothing.  Even though the school is in line with their beliefs, they are presented with ideas from someone other than a family member, and (sometimes) in a formal classroom setting.  This is a lot more than I can say for other fundie families (especially the daughters).

Yeah, I mean, Crown is just as restrictive and would never allow opposing viewpoints, but at least the kids are getting socialized with people other than their immediate family members and even if the standards aren't exactly amazing standards, there are some standards that govern the education they are receiving. It would be infinitely better if these kids would go to accredited schools that allowed them to broaden their horizons, but if they can step a little outside of their family homes and learn something from someone other than mommy/an older sister enlisted to teach you because mommy's too busy getting railed by daddy all the live-long day, that's a start.

5 hours ago, faraway said:

I just checked, her college only offers 2-year degrees.

Roane State is a community college.  She can get an associate's degree there only.  She might seek to transfer to a 4-year university at some point.  Maybe not.  At least she's pursuing some level of higher learning.  No, it's not Harvard, but it's not the dining room table either.  

Since Michael has been doing this for awhile - since well before she got married - I wonder how she got permission to go to a regular, accredited community college instead of Crown like her siblings. Because you know that, even if she applied there when she was a legal adult, she still needed permission from her former headship, Gil. Maybe because Gil and Kelly went to real colleges, they're okay with their kids going to a real college if they choose to?

4 minutes ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

Since Michael has been doing this for awhile - since well before she got married - I wonder how she got permission to go to a regular, accredited community college instead of Crown like her siblings. Because you know that, even if she applied there when she was a legal adult, she still needed permission from her former headship, Gil. Maybe because Gil and Kelly went to real colleges, they're okay with their kids going to a real college if they choose to?

I could see Kelly and Gil being okay with a secular community college since the student would presumably still live at home. They would still be comfortably under the parents' protection/authority. Plus Michael seems to be incredibly trustworthy, mature, and grounded (not to mention fundie); I'm not sure if they would have approved of Tori, Carlin, Alyssa, or Lawson attending school with the general public.  

It's a community college, so it's not like she would have to spend a lot of time on campus, and I'm sure she commuted to classes (If she did them in person) and then returned home.  It's not like she got a full college experience.  I am not knocking community colleges, but the experience is definitely different than you'd get at a 4 year university.  

Kelly got a 4 year degree in special education that she didn't use for working outside of the home but I guarentee it made her a WAY BETTER teacher to her kids compared to Michelle. So at least she actually put it to good use.

There is a long history of women going to college and never working outside the home.  The concept is certainly not new.  Education is valuable to a mother raising a family!  Crown College... that's debatable, but a decent fundie father should WANT his helpmeet to have knowledge to drop on the blessigns!

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Kelly got a 4 year degree in special education that she didn't use for working outside of the home but I guarentee it made her a WAY BETTER teacher to her kids compared to Michelle. So at least she actually put it to good use.

I agree. While SOTDRT leaves a lot to be desired as far as educational standards go, if I had to do it myself, I would rather be taught by Kelly Jo Bates than Michelle Duggar any day.

I saw this yesterday.  What a contrast.  Homeschooled.  Family has 16 children.  I suspect some fundy tendencies, but it's obvious that Mom & Dad care about actual education, including science.  My cousin is an RN/BSN and she had to take at least 1 semester of O-Chem.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/education/at-18-ut-nursing-grad-is-youngest-in-college-history/197379969

Schools differ so much from place to place.  I'm in a really good district, and my kids go to a National Blue Ribbon School.  People who live in this district and homeschool are out of their freaking minds.  There is no beating the school my kids attend.  

If I lived in a not so stellar district, I could see considering homeschooling under the right circumstances.  I have a friend who lives in rural TX who homeschools her two because the schools are shitty and she wants to have the flexibility to travel as a family with her college football coach husband to away games and spend time at their vacation home on the beach.  They love their life, and more power to them, says me.  

6 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Yeah, I mean, Crown is just as restrictive and would never allow opposing viewpoints, but at least the kids are getting socialized with people other than their immediate family members and even if the standards aren't exactly amazing standards, there are some standards that govern the education they are receiving. It would be infinitely better if these kids would go to accredited schools that allowed them to broaden their horizons, but if they can step a little outside of their family homes and learn something from someone other than mommy/an older sister enlisted to teach you because mommy's too busy getting railed by daddy all the live-long day, that's a start.

I agree. Crown is restrictive, no doubt. And it is a fundie college. However, I have known a few people who have attended there and while they were IFB, they weren't the most extreme IFB. They certainly are not ATI/IBLP or Quiverfull. The Bates may not be being exposed to drastically different viewpoints, but they are exposed to some variations on their beliefs.

@QuiverDance, it sounds like your friend made the right choice for her family given where she lives. I'm sure she's using much better curriculum than fundies use. Her kids are probably getting a better education than most of the kids in town.

I wonder how the schools are near where the Duggars and the Bateseses live. I doubt any Duggar kids are better off homeschooled because Michelle (and now Tabitha Paine) never stepped foot into college, but I wonder about the Bateses... What do we know about the curriculum they use? Are they teaching out of Wisdom Books, too?

12 hours ago, JMO said:

I thought it was JB that compared it to legos?

JB was trying to find the right phrase for how to describe the impending wedding night, and Josh filled in the blank with "It's like Legos."

10 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

@QuiverDance, it sounds like your friend made the right choice for her family given where she lives. I'm sure she's using much better curriculum than fundies use. Her kids are probably getting a better education than most of the kids in town.

I wonder how the schools are near where the Duggars and the Bateseses live. I doubt any Duggar kids are better off homeschooled because Michelle (and now Tabitha Paine) never stepped foot into college, but I wonder about the Bateses... What do we know about the curriculum they use? Are they teaching out of Wisdom Books, too?

I think they do, Kelly mentioned Wisdom Books somewhere as the basis of their homeschool. I think they also use ABeka, I remember that somewhere Kelly mentioned how Erin was grateful for an ABeka foundation, or something. 

Looks like brandonlovesmichaela.com is down. I wonder if they're redesigning, or if they've allowed their domain to lapse?

31 minutes ago, CreationMuseumCurator said:

Looks like brandonlovesmichaela.com is down. I wonder if they're redesigning, or if they've allowed their domain to lapse?

Maybe they're transitioning to www.brandonREALLYlovesmichaela-seeyouknowitstruebecausewemadeawebsiteaboutit.com

I personally dislike snarking on a woman who obtains a college degree even though she has no intentions on using it. Fundamentalists love using the lack of education and job training as a way to keep women dependent on their husbands. If your husband cheats/is verbally or physically abusive and you have no college education, you are probably more likely to stay with that man. 

I think it's great that Michael is finishing her degree, whether or not she ever needs or wants to use it. If anything ever happens to Brandon, she may be able to support herself and her kids rather than finding a new husband or relying on her father.

1 hour ago, CreationMuseumCurator said:

My prediction: it will come back up and surprise! they've relocated to Big Sandy.

I fail to see how Michael will not "use" her degree. She'll be homeschooling her offspring. Surely more education will help her do that, perhaps even doing a better job than her mother did. I can only see positives in this. 

My prediction: it will come back up and surprise! they've relocated to Big Sandy.

That or until the new season of BUB starts.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived