IGNORED

Michael (Bates) Keilen Bump Watch

Sweet Fellowship

21 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Thanks again to Aussie FJers for all the insights! I find Australia utterly fascinating, not just the potentially deadly creatures but the nature as a whole. It is so very different from my daily experiences living in Northern Europe. Our only venomous snake (out of the whole 3 species of snakes here...) is adder and it's bite is very rarely fatal. Actually, I've seen maybe 3 live snakes out in the wild in my whole life. If I'm out in the woods I'm more concerned about bears or even ticks than an occasional adder.

Same in Southern Europe. Just a few adders (in the mountains, and rarely near houses) and very few scorpions (not deadly, and never inside houses). Jellyfish here is itchy but can't kill you.

I'm fascinated about wild nature but it'd be very hard for me to sleep in a place with venomous animals around.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, jas said:

We are snake free in Ireland. St Patrick banished them. (He also banished their fossilised remains and any other evidence that they had ever existed here.)  :snake:

Well if you are going to banish something you better do it properly. Who wants a bunch of snake skeletons laying around? Banish! Banish! Banish them all, even their dead. It is a little funny though that Ireland doesn't have snakes when England has them. What is so bad with Ireland from a snake point of view that none of them settled there? 

1 hour ago, elliha said:

It is a little funny though that Ireland doesn't have snakes when England has them. What is so bad with Ireland from a snake point of view that none of them settled there? 

Apparently they could not survive here during the last ice age (they need external heat to keep them alive) and, as soon as the ice melted, there was too much water around Ireland for them to cross. Britain maintained a land bridge to mainland Europe for longer, so they were able to get there but no further. 

26 minutes ago, jas said:

Apparently they could not survive here during the last ice age (they need external heat to keep them alive) and, as soon as the ice melted, there was too much water around Ireland for them to cross. Britain maintained a land bridge to mainland Europe for longer, so they were able to get there but no further. 

It is weird though that not enough of them accidentally got from Britain to Ireland on boats or so. I know they can swim but I assumed that might be a little hard. 

I don't know the answer to that one @elliha, I have been googling it a bit and it seems that snakes are very slow to colonise new areas. Maybe they would need larger numbers than a couple of snakes at a time on a boat to breed and survive? That is just a guess though. 

They would not be able to swim across the Irish Sea because it is too far and too cold.

2 hours ago, jas said:

I don't know the answer to that one @elliha, I have been googling it a bit and it seems that snakes are very slow to colonise new areas. Maybe they would need larger numbers than a couple of snakes at a time on a boat to breed and survive? That is just a guess though. 

They would not be able to swim across the Irish Sea because it is too far and too cold.

No, we will never get an answer to that I think. Ireland is just lucky to not have snakes. I am not much of a snake phobic but if I get to choose between a place with snakes or one without I prefer one without. Sweden isn't that bad though, I have only seen one snake my whole life.

On May 26, 2016 at 6:04 AM, Fundie Bunny said:

Spiders here may not be deadly, but it's not like they're a cute little Pet. I don't feel like having half of my face look like a balloon because of friendship. Kill those bitches when you can

1280px-Pholcus.phalangioides.6908.jpg

(This little bitch is usually 2 inches long and is on every fucking corner of my aunt's country house)

I just jumped about ten feet in the air when my thumb touched this picture while scrolling down. Seeing it in real life would probably qualify me for space flight. :pb_biggrin:

14 hours ago, AnywhereButHere said:

I just jumped about ten feet in the air when my thumb touched this picture while scrolling down. Seeing it in real life would probably qualify me for space flight. :pb_biggrin:

Just killed two or three of those today. They really should start paying rent

I live in the Canadian Rockies. We have all sorts of creatures to be aware of out here! These two came for an early morning munch the other day.

image.jpeg

On 27 May 2016 at 5:29 PM, elliha said:

Well if you are going to banish something you better do it properly. Who wants a bunch of snake skeletons laying around? Banish! Banish! Banish them all, even their dead. It is a little funny though that Ireland doesn't have snakes when England has them. What is so bad with Ireland from a snake point of view that none of them settled there? 

Sorry to bring it back to Aussie snakes ;)

BUT there's a historic house in Sydney called Vaucluse House. Its a beautiful sandstone mansion built in 1805 by "an eccentric Irish man". The grounds were SO infested with (fatal) Brown snakes that the owner,  Sir Henry Browne Hayes, dug a mote around the house... and filled it with Irish peat that he paid to have shipped all the way from Ireland to the new colony of Sydney. He was convinced that the Irish peat had magical powers and would keep the snakes away from the house.. needless to say it did;t work.

When you visit today you still notice the little indentation surrounding the property... and luckily there aren't snakes there now. There;s more info here if you're interested http://sydneylivingmuseums.com.au/stories/vaucluse-house-brief-history

I'm so glad I don't live in the public eye. I get carb bloat really bad, so after eating a sandwich, I look 5 months pregnant. Throw some chips or fries into the mix, if I slouch while sitting, I can use my carb bloat tummy, as a bowl/cup holder, like I did when I was 7ish moths pregnant. I'm sure I would be "pregnant" every other week, like Jennifer Aniston.

8 hours ago, SnazzyNazzy said:

I'm so glad I don't live in the public eye. I get carb bloat really bad, so after eating a sandwich, I look 5 months pregnant. Throw some chips or fries into the mix, if I slouch while sitting, I can use my carb bloat tummy, as a bowl/cup holder, like I did when I was 7ish moths pregnant. I'm sure I would be "pregnant" every other week, like Jennifer Aniston.

Same. Except I am pregnant - only about two months though. It's going to make keeping it a secret a bit longer super interesting. :pb_lol:

I sometimes get really bloated when I drink milk, not always, but today is one those days. I look like I'm two months pregnant.

I bloat badly whenever I have my period......so I'd get speculation every month if I posted any full length pictures during that time of the month which is ironic....

I'm with you all in the bloat boat. Mr. Curator and I are trying, so I'm not drinking, and we're headed to visit with my extended family this summer. I'm hoping their knowledge of my mom and cousin's fertility issues will keep them quiet about my sobriety, but I do sliiiightly look forward to being able to shut them up with a "No, just chubby."

I bloat whenever I eat salt. I had Chinese food the night before my undergrad graduation and look like the Pillsbury Dough Boy in my pics. If I were a celebrity, I'd probably keep to a low salt diet, and then binge every once in awhile to keep the tabloids interested. 

I want in on the bloat club! I had my gallbladder taken out and holy bloaty. It doesn't even matter what I eat anymore i end up looking 5 months along. I'm on a heavy dosage of gas-x lol

Detour here. I do think probably there is some issue with Michael. Miscarriage perhaps.

I fell down a rabbit hole on Instagram. Saw a pic in the community feed of a mom with a newborn that was poignant, so I clicked on it. Turned out her baby was stillborn. I got caught up in that account as the mom was quite eloquent in sharing her feelings and experience. Through her, I was introduced to other moms who suffered loss and/or infertility. 

It's heartbreaking to know what some women go through to have a baby, and then there are most fundies. I know it's not Kelly Bates or Michelle Duggar's fault that they're super fertile. It just is. But coming to know all these wise, insightful women on IG with such big hearts whose arms are empty, and contrasting that with fundie mass reproduction, seems so unfair. What they would give to have just one child, and the loving home they could provide, as opposed to, say, PP, is heartbreaking.

On 5/27/2016 at 8:57 PM, AnywhereButHere said:

I really hate spiders.  Hate them.  And we have an abundance in Texas.  This NYC transplant has had her full of snakes of spiders...ick. 

5 hours ago, TheDuggarnaut said:

Detour here. I do think probably there is some issue with Michael. Miscarriage perhaps.

I fell down a rabbit hole on Instagram. Saw a pic in the community feed of a mom with a newborn that was poignant, so I clicked on it. Turned out her baby was stillborn. I got caught up in that account as the mom was quite eloquent in sharing her feelings and experience. Through her, I was introduced to other moms who suffered loss and/or infertility. 

It's heartbreaking to know what some women go through to have a baby, and then there are most fundies. I know it's not Kelly Bates or Michelle Duggar's fault that they're super fertile. It just is. But coming to know all these wise, insightful women on IG with such big hearts whose arms are empty, and contrasting that with fundie mass reproduction, seems so unfair. What they would give to have just one child, and the loving home they could provide, as opposed to, say, PP, is heartbreaking.

This is part of the reason I'll likely always have a soft spot for the Paines. I may not agree with their beliefs or choices, but I know how painful miscarriage is and how scary it is to find yourself pregnant very soon after. 

I certainly hope things are fine with the Keilens. They haven't hit a year of marriage yet and we can't know for sure if they're trying (though it's likely), so hopefully nothing serious is going on. And hopefully they aren't concerned about anything - I like to think they're really enjoying their first year as newlyweds.

Also I wonder why Dakota Paine and Thomas haven't had a child yet as well. Are they not letting God decide? It seems this culture values people based on the "blessings" aka children they receive. I hope Michael isn't putting pressure on herself. Remember poor Anna Duggar who had to wait a whole long 4 months after marriage until she got pregnant? The agony!!! 

Also, maybe I'm cheap but I think pregnancy tests are rather expensive.  She (Anna) said she took multiple and it kept coming up negative. I know Michelle has like a lifetime supply, but I wonder if they just use the little sticks you can get from a doctors office. Store brand tests in Connecticut are like $14 for two. 

You can't buy used and save the difference on pee sticks. And you can't collect used ones like Gil did with the toilet paper. 

17 minutes ago, Exjw2015deed said:

Also I wonder why Dakota Paine and Thomas haven't had a child yet as well. Are they not letting God decide? It seems this culture values people based on the "blessings" aka children they receive. I hope Michael isn't putting pressure on herself. Remember poor Anna Duggar who had to wait a whole long 4 months after marriage until she got pregnant? The agony!!! 

Also, maybe I'm cheap but I think pregnancy tests are rather expensive.  She (Anna) said she took multiple and it kept coming up negative. I know Michelle has like a lifetime supply, but I wonder if they just use the little sticks you can get from a doctors office. Store brand tests in Connecticut are like $14 for two. 

You can't buy used and save the difference on pee sticks. And you can't collect used ones like Gil did with the toilet paper. 

You can get a pack of 50 for $7-19 on Amazon. 

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived