IGNORED

Michael (Bates) Keilen Bump Watch

Sweet Fellowship

I thought she was going to Community College when she was still living in Tennessee. 

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I know Michael(a) was going to community college before they were engaged.  I'm not sure exactly when she began though.

According to comments from Kelly on this blog post from Sept 2013, Michael(a) was doing College Plus (or College Minus as some like to call it). Who knows if the community college let her transfer any of the credits in:

https://thebatesfamily.com/2013/09/michaels-mission-trip/

I believe she went to Community College for EMT courses.  It was never clarified if she was taking classes at the community college itself to fulfill EMT licensing requirements or if she was taking a separate EMT certification course held at the community college (but not associated with the college itself).  

I don't think it was ever suggested that she was pursuing an AA or any other degree.

Edit: That is to say, she may not be near completion at all.  If she only took courses for her EMT certification, she could be starting from the beginning.  

1 hour ago, Georgiana said:

I believe she went to Community College for EMT courses.  It was never clarified if she was taking classes at the community college itself to fulfill EMT licensing requirements or if she was taking a separate EMT certification course held at the community college (but not associated with the college itself).  

I don't think it was ever suggested that she was pursuing an AA or any other degree.

Edit: That is to say, she may not be near completion at all.  If she only took courses for her EMT certification, she could be starting from the beginning.  

Actually, if this information is accurate then she is pursuing her AA:

http://uptv.com/shows/bringing-up-bates/bios/michael-bates/

15 hours ago, Georgiana said:

Michael(a) is finishing an AA degree.

Michael(a) has stated several times on her Instagram that she is "finishing up college," "is in her last semester," and that she will finish next month (May).

This interview with her in the Knoxville News (the largest metro paper to the Bates in Rocky Top) goes into more detail:

"While her husband works, Keilen stays busy by spending a lot of time studying and taking online classes from Roane State to finish up her degree in liberal arts with a minor in health science. She isn't sure what she wants to do with her degree yet."

http://www.knoxnews.com/entertainment/pop-culture/bringing-up-bates-star-talks-about-show-married-life-in-chicago-2c750f56-0aab-4a35-e053-0100007fe336-370116301.html

Who do you think will have the first twins of the 2nd generation? Michael, Alyssa, a Duggar girl?

That would be so exiting to see them having twins...

On 4/7/2016 at 8:48 AM, Ali said:

This is a really good point. I have never met a man that does not have an opinion about how many kids he wants. I have never heard anyone outside of the Duggars and Bateses say that they will leave it up to the wife.

I think the guys are just saying it to look good on TV.  If they're really going the fundie, no BC route, it doesn't matter what either parent "wants".  Children are blessings, they welcome all blessings, the Lord will provide, etc.

58 minutes ago, eclairaupistache said:

Who do you think will have the first twins of the 2nd generation? Michael, Alyssa, a Duggar girl?

That would be so exiting to see them having twins...

No twins in the Bates family, but 2 sets of Duggar twins.

If they're genetic, they're going to be from a J kid.

At Jana and John David are not identical so that would suggest that there might be a hereditary element to the two sets of twins in the Duggar family. That would suggest that the Duggar daughters are more likely to have twins than the Bates but twins can also come out of coincidence. For some reason my bet is on Jessa out of Jessa and Jill for twins.

44 minutes ago, elliha said:

At Jana and John David are not identical so that would suggest that there might be a hereditary element to the two sets of twins in the Duggar family. That would suggest that the Duggar daughters are more likely to have twins than the Bates but twins can also come out of coincidence. For some reason my bet is on Jessa out of Jessa and Jill for twins.

I thought identical twins had a stronger hereditary component and fraternal goes along with hyper-fertility. The fraternals happen when you ovulate with two eggs at once... though if the girls "inherit" Michelle's crazy fertility and ovulate with multiple eggs I guess that makes fraternal twins hereditary, too. 

6 minutes ago, Casserole said:

I thought identical twins had a stronger hereditary component and fraternal goes along with hyper-fertility. The fraternals happen when you ovulate with two eggs at once... though if the girls "inherit" Michelle's crazy fertility and ovulate with multiple eggs I guess that makes fraternal twins hereditary, too. 

As far as I know the ability to release 2 or more eggs is strongly hereditary and that is why there are such things as "twin families" where twins are much more common than others (My niece's friend comes from Sweden's biggest twin family, the family with the most twins in the country. In some of the families in her extended family a woman might have had 3 pregnancies which all lead to successful twin births, my niece's friend of course has a set of twins herself). Identical twins are often a fluke but there is some suggestion that there are hereditary factors that make it more common for identical twins to in turn have identical twins but why is not entirely known. 

Michelle was not old when she had her twins which would suggest genetics even more. Towards the end of a woman's fertile period she might start releasing more eggs per circle which can lead to twins but can't be the case for Michelle's twins.

Interestingly twins often skip generations, so the most likely Duggars to have twins will be Jana's or JDs kids.  That's not to say no Duggar will have twins (there are so many, who will have so many babies that they likely will), but statistically the kids of an as yet unborn child are more likely,,,:confusion-shrug:

Just curious-- are Jed and Jer identical or fraternal (very obvious Jana and JD are fraternal as they're the opposite sex).  

Also if twins run in the family, does a singleton child have the same chance of having them?

1 hour ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Just curious-- are Jed and Jer identical or fraternal (very obvious Jana and JD are fraternal as they're the opposite sex).  

Also if twins run in the family, does a singleton child have the same chance of having them?

I think that, as with any trait, it depends on which genes you get from which parent (yay meiosis!). Jana being a twin herself doesn't mean that she got it, but odds are good that at least one of the girls did. 

Anecdata time: A friend of mine isn't a twin, but her younger siblings are fraternal twins. Her first kid was a singleton, her second and third are a set of fraternal twins. 

Jed and jer are fraternal. Twins are only genetic in the sense that ovulating twice is genetic. So only the duggar girls could carry that gene. Identical twins are not genetic as identical twins are a freak accident when a fertilized egg splits into 2. 

Imagine Michelle's face if she found out a Bates kid was having twins...

If it was to be Jill or Jessa (not that I'd wish it for either one), names aside, I'm far less horrified at the thought of Jessa with twins.

54 minutes ago, JesusCampSongs said:

I think that, as with any trait, it depends on which genes you get from which parent (yay meiosis!). Jana being a twin herself doesn't mean that she got it, but odds are good that at least one of the girls did. 

Anecdata time: A friend of mine isn't a twin, but her younger siblings are fraternal twins. Her first kid was a singleton, her second and third are a set of fraternal twins. 

I think that a man can pass that trait to his daughter also, which would make his daughter more likely to have twins.

Another anecdote, a friend's sisters-in-law are fraternal twins and one of them has two sets of fraternal twins.  I don't think there are any more twins in that family and there are something like close to 30 cousins.  Another friends husband has many cousins who are twins, a mix of fraternal and identical.  Both of my friend's husbands families are Irish.

There is a relative in my family- mom is an identical twin, and daughter just had a set of fraternal twins. That, though, wouldn't really be 'genetic,' right? Since indentical twins are a spontaneous thing and not repetitive? The daughter's father is adopted, so we don't know about twins in his family. 

13 hours ago, Emkay said:

There is a relative in my family- mom is an identical twin, and daughter just had a set of fraternal twins. That, though, wouldn't really be 'genetic,' right? Since indentical twins are a spontaneous thing and not repetitive? The daughter's father is adopted, so we don't know about twins in his family. 

Identical twins are thought to be equally likely for all women. There can be a genetic element to fraternal twins, but things like PCOS can also increase your odds of fraternal twins. 

On 4/8/2016 at 5:32 PM, HereticHick said:

According to comments from Kelly on this blog post from Sept 2013, Michael(a) was doing College Plus (or College Minus as some like to call it). Who knows if the community college let her transfer any of the credits in:

https://thebatesfamily.com/2013/09/michaels-mission-trip/

College Minus just prepares for CLEP tests. Every college acccepts a certain number of those--most one or two courses at best. But community colleges and others who do life experience credits will take them. She was never really Ivy League material anyway,  but she can get a perfectly normal degree like most people.

Not all schools accept CLEP credit.  There are probably only a few but where a couple of my kids went did not accept CLEP. 

I have tons of fraternal twins on my mom's side (including uncles) and my dad is an identical twin. 

No twins for me! (phew), even with fertility treatments!

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived