IGNORED

All Things Dillard - Part 5

happy atheist

Thank you. I can't believe they asked for money for a month long trip. i can't believe he quite that job for this. They must have made a longer commitment as Holy Missionaries of Gothard....geeze......it is so crazy. So Very Crazeeeeee......

I think we had this entire conversation, on this thread, for several pages, when they first got there.

IIRC there was some sort of permanent leader type position opening up there as well, and the general consensus ( after pages of shock) , was that the Dillard's are either taking that position, which makes sense, or are using this as the first leg of their trip.

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With all the hoopla, they have to be going somewhere else after this. If one month is it...that would be utterly ridiculous.
well they can only convert the same people so many times. Not like they do useful things there

I disagree that it is just a matter of people buying into it or not.

I heard an Inuit man from the arctic speak once. He made the comment:(paraphrased) "when the white men came we thought they were gods because they had technology we had never seen. They came in planes. So we listened to them when they told us what to do, even though it turned out that they were giving us really bad advice".

Do you know what that bad advice was? The govt hired different churches to round up all the children and remove them from their parents so they could teach them about Christianity and how to live like white Christians in "residential schools". Then they built permanent houses and forced the Inuit to stop being nomadic by slaughtering all their sled dogs. No dogs meant no following the herds to hunt and they were then reliant on the govt to give them food rations. If they didn't produce their children to be sent to the residential schools they would not get their food rations. At the schools, the "missionaries" beat and sexually abused the children. Children caught speaking their indigenous language had their tongues stuck with pins. A lot of the kids died. Some were murdered. Many are still suffering from the trauma of the abuse.

Missionary work is not harmless and people with no education have no business doing it.

Apologies I'm responding without reading the 7 or so pages in between but I have to say coming from a family that was a product of the residential schools of Canada (and the 60s scoops) I do believe that missionaries can be very harmful and dangerous. I think the heavy duty separation of church and government that followed in Canada and the subsequent commissions etc that have occurred in recent history is because of the fracturing missionaries did between peoples spirituality and cultures.

That is also why you will find either extremely devout catholic First Nations people and extremely anti catholic First Nations people in Canada. Some suffered Stockholm syndrome and some did not.

Of course seeing first hand its effects on my family has made me extremely anti missionary, which is a fine line when you marry an ex-Mormon. I have a visceral responce to proselytizing, where as my husband remains unfazed.

My dad once studied to be a Catholic Priest (60's I believe) and he is probably one of the very few men who know fluent latin. Good for the Millionaire questions, but not when you're sitting on the couch. :P

Also he doesn't like talking about the seminary and gets very shitty when I bring it up. I don't want to bag him about it - I just want to ask curious questions, but even then he refuses to talk about it.

That is interesting. He must have had some bad experiences. Maybe involving learning Latin. Heehee ask him if he is bitter that he put all that effort into learning Latin and then the Church went and changed the requirements so that priests did not have to learn Latin anymore.

Is he still Catholic or did he convert to something else?

It's a one month mission trip. They've said it on the SOS site and other "missionaries" have said it. I don't know what the Dillards are doing after. Maybe staying on. its strange that they don't have a permanent assignment under some sort of governing body.

Maybe they are freelancing?

:romance-heartsmiley:

Wait, what? This is seriously only a month-long trip? From all the fuss I assumed they were actually moving to another country. A month is nothing. Why exactly did they make that big announcement and why have they been soliciting funds if it's only a month?

I think we had this entire conversation, on this thread, for several pages, when they first got there.

IIRC there was some sort of permanent leader type position opening up there as well, and the general consensus ( after pages of shock) , was that the Dillard's are either taking that position, which makes sense, or are using this as the first leg of their trip.

Mama Mia is right. :handgestures-thumbsup:

Realize... Derrick spoke of an "opportunity" on their "Our New Missionary" blog-post;

Earlier this year God brought about an opportunity much earlier than either of us was expecting. Several months ago a new opportunity arose for us to serve God on the mission field. Before us we had a choice to make that would undoubtedly change the trajectory of our lives forever.

The emboldened implies they have only just set-out (IMHO). Otherwise, if returning home that soon -and staying home - "Dillard Family Ministries" - is far more shameful a scam than previously thought.

(ETA: A scam either way. :shrug: But the Dillards are saved, after all!)

The reference to having 2 1/2 weeks left came from a blog post that someone posted/snarked on several pages back (p 14). This blog post was not written by or about the Dillards and the OP did not represent it as being by/about the Dillards. It was written by Sandie Jalbart who happens to be in the same location as Jill and Derick at the moment. She and her group had 2 1/2 weeks left to their 1 month mission trip.

That is interesting. He must have had some bad experiences. Maybe involving learning Latin. Heehee ask him if he is bitter that he put all that effort into learning Latin and then the Church went and changed the requirements so that priests did not have to learn Latin anymore.

Is he still Catholic or did he convert to something else?

My Great-Granfather was a Latin teacher - he was actually one of the most well-respected and talented in my state during his life. When my Grandpa and his brothers got to High School, they were all enrolled in Latin classes.

One of Grandpa's favorite stories about Latin is when he had dinner one night with a bunch of young Priests. I have no clue when it happened or how he wound up dining with them, but he wound up eating with them somehow. The conversation turned to divorce rates among Catholics and what could be done to help lower them. My Grandpa suggested Uxoricide because it's far easier than divorce. All the Priests agreed with him and talked about how wonderful an idea it is.

Then he told them that it roughly translated from Latin as, "Wife Murder."

After the initial shock, those Priests got a really good laugh out of it. :lol:

(Moral of the story: never trust my Grandpa; he's sneaky like that! Also, never assume a Catholic Priest actually knows Latin.)

Offficial confirmation was what I was looking for and that has not been found. Our conjecture could be mistaken, I was looking for a comment from Derick, the headship, himself, or the mission group. He certainly can't be begging for money for a month long mission-vacation. They were secretive about their destination and possibly still their WholeGodlyPlan which will be fascinating when Revealed. I am not a fan of proseletyzing. I was raised RC and no hint of the need for that was ever heard by me.

I just find it frustrating that he has a degree in accounting and has run off to the hinterlands. But he can always go back if they can't support themselves and their soon to be I'm sure many, many children.

That is funny. I have heard that Seventh Day Adventists often are particularly hostile to Catholicism, though. I'm sure not all are this way, but Ellen G. White was apparently particularly critical of the RC church, and there is a widespread belief that the Pope is the anti-Christ and the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon.

Did you find this to be true growing up? Especially in comparison to the attitudes towards other denominations?

Actually that was the reason I left adventists mentally at the age of -5-16iah. Because it took me that long to get wind of that particular crazy do fine and I never fully accepted it.

My phone is misbehaving so I I'll type more when I'm on a computer if you want.

Age 15-16. Sorry, even if I try to go back and edit the post my phone does this weird thing where it blinks every time I try to type. It was making me nauseous.

But yeah, adventists really do believe that, and from what I've read, so did other denominations in ellen whites day. She did not come up with this by herself.

I just thought it was so crazy when I first heard it that it couldn't possibly be biblical. And i found it wasn't.

Offficial confirmation was what I was looking for and that has not been found. Our conjecture could be mistaken, I was looking for a comment from Derick, the headship, himself, or the mission group. He certainly can't be begging for money for a month long mission-vacation. They were secretive about their destination and possibly still their WholeGodlyPlan which will be fascinating when Revealed. I am not a fan of proseletyzing. I was raised RC and no hint of the need for that was ever heard by me.

I just find it frustrating that he has a degree in accounting and has run off to the hinterlands. But he can always go back if they can't support themselves and their soon to be I'm sure many, many children.

The quitting the accounting job doesn't really surprise me. He's 26? ish, worked at Walmart for less than a year, before that was a missionary for a couple of years. He can't have worked very long in his field between graduation and the trip to Nepal. It sounds, to me, like he's someone who went to College and got a degree and then discovered he hated the actual career he trained for.

This is what the bates blog said they do on sos trips:

where they held Bible Studies with the youth (working through two books available through Institute in Basic Life Principles: The Lies we Believe photo 4 (5)and Why Did God Let It Happen? store.iblp.org/). They attended church services each night. They visited schools and performed skits, sang songs, taught lessons, and shared their testimonies. They returned to El Salvador to host more youth Bible camps, visit schools and orphanages, and attend church services.

Sooooo...not a lot of helping with food/medicine/anything

This is what the bates blog said they do on sos trips:

Sooooo...not a lot of helping with food/medicine/anything

So they basically went down there to convert people to ATI/IBLP? :roll: I'm not surprised at all. Who needs food or medicine when you have Basic Life Principles?

So they basically went down there to convert people to ATI/IBLP? :roll: I'm not surprised at all. Who needs food or medicine when you have Basic Life Principles?

yeah like dusting stairs :D :cracking-up:

With the dangers mentioned here I hope they are all right. Religious zeal and fervor can make people forget real and present dangers.

I have a feeling this is all being carefully scripted and more for photo ops and future grifting mission support than any real or risky activity. I believe the Dullards are tucked away somewhere safe, and victims potential converts are brought to them for an audience. SOS wouldn't risk one of their cash cows premier missionaries.

Another article on the dangers in El Salvador. I just have a bad feeling about this trip!

http://time.com/3966900/el-salvador-gangs-violence/

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/el-salvador/safety

Lonely Planet doesn't seem to think they're in THAT much danger.

If most of the violence is related to MS-13, I think it'd be relatively easy for people like the Dillards to avoid getting caught up in it, depending on where they're going. Honestly, there's a ton of MS-13 related violence in LA, DC, and other US cities with large central american populations, but most people can avoid it. I'm definitely not saying El Salvador is the safest place in the world, but I'm wondering how much of the hype is actually real. Because you think the Dillards would deign to take a public bus with the plebians? Or go without a guy with a huge rifle?

Tons of white people go to central America all the time without incident.

I have to say I'm liking this feeling of not really knowing what's going on with Jill and Derick. I appreciate that there's only the occasional public photo or update.

It makes me feel like they're concentrating on what they're doing and not thinking much about "fans".

I DON'T AGREE with what they're doing. I just like the thought that they're absorbed in something other than, and away from, 19Kids and TTH.

Archived