IGNORED

All Things Dillard - Part 5

happy atheist

Well they are definitely in El Salvador with SOS.

Here you see Derick in the first pic on this blog:

livinglifeforchristalone.blogspot.com/2015/07/mission-trip-update-sos-july-2015.html?m=1

And those are the sisters Alyssa posted pics with, Halcionne. Good eye!

Here is where that pic originated from, you can see who the other people are:

facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1453470061644622&set=a.1438953376429624.1073741826.100009449276239&type=1&theater

And then here is the latest pic floating around on instagram:

11248123_1633464040244139_1831585607_n.jpg

Anyone know who this Jalbert Family is?

thejalbertfamily.blogspot.com

Laurie Jalbert's blog (the most popular, so Mom says) has the following banner:

Christ Follower, World Changer, Disciple Maker, Persecution Advocate - Be the Change

Sorry, don't know how to post pic.

Just what is a "Persecution Advocate"? I do not think that means what they think it means.

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know who this Jalbert Family is?

thejalbertfamily.blogspot.com

Laurie Jalbert's blog (the most popular, so Mom says) has the following banner:

Christ Follower, World Changer, Disciple Maker, Persecution Advocate - Be the Change

Sorry, don't know how to post pic.

Just what is a "Persecution Advocate"? I do not think that means what they think it means.

I'm not familiar with this family, but this is her description/bio on the family blog:

Laurie Jalbert is the founder of A Passion for Jesus Ministries, an organization dedicated to discipling young women in their Christian faith and equipping them to be world changers for the Kingdom of God.

Laurie is also the director of Persecution Resource Council, a movement to stimulate western Christians to take an active interest in the well-being of our brother and sisters who are being persecuted in foreign countries.

Her desire is to inspire Millennials to become the change this world so desperately needs and to live the surrendered life for God's glory.

So I guess that's what they think "Persecution Advocate" means. :cracking-up:

ETA: Wowza! While they seem to be pretty deep into Gothardism, the only son is a medical doctor and - hold onto your hats - one of the daughters is working on an engineering degree! :pink-shock:

What a bunch of happy horseshit phoneys.

It had to be said.

"We have a little person of colour to pretend to help to. Pretend to be happy, and look there"

yeah, I love the native mascot in the middle of the pic

PS "Persecution Advocate"-- is that like a Dominatrix? Either way, it would make a great thread count title.

Actually, it does. It's not like she's going to drop him off at daycare to work. She's going to drag that poor kid everywhere with her. I get it, they're only there to harass, not help, but still. Babies need constant attention and she wouldn't get any "work" done.

And it's scary to think of Jill being in charge of finances :lol: She couldn't figure out how to read the instructions on the back of a rice box.

Oh for heavens sake, most people can manage to get some things done while caring for a baby. They don't need to be a in a bubble with their mother paying one on one attention non- stop. She could have the baby in a carrier and do tasks. She could have the baby in a bouncy seat or stroller or pack 'n play and get things done. As the baby gets older she could use a play yard or other enclosed space. I'm sure there will be lots of other children around to play with too. Why shouldn't the baby be " dragged" around to wherever she is ? It's good for babies and children to be part of the regular world. Unless she's doing construction or working in a chemical plant I would think the baby would be fine. In my former office environment new moms could bring the baby to work with them - did they get as much done as people with no baby? Of course not, but they were able to juggle their work responsibilities with caring for the infant adequately. And I didn't say anything about Jill being " in charge" of finances. I said if Derrik is there to do some sort of admin / financial job she could help with that.

My parents were professional political activists in the late sixties / early seventies. In the U.S., but I was one of many kids who spent their days at rallies, or playing with toys under a card table while my parents talked to people about issues. Or at events or " playing office" while they did mailers or hanging out in a kitchen while they cooked for a fundraiser.

So...they have 2 and a half weeks left. Then what? I thought they were going to be doing this for an extended period of time...??

So...they have 2 and a half weeks left. Then what? I thought they were going to be doing this for an extended period of time...??

Me too. I guess go back home and grift? I still can't get over Derrick quitting a stable job for a long vacation. The stupidity. :doh:

Also, do they think trying to make people follow their version of Christianity will solve all the local people's problems? Will these people magically have big houses and running water after realizing the error of their ways?

"People without hope hearing the amazing Gospel of hope for the first time... "

Did they actually say that about people in El Salvador? Do they have no idea that this has been an overwhelmingly Christian country for nearly half a millennium?

On second thought, I'm wondering if they, especially Jill, don't know that Catholics actually have a Bible translation of their own, complete with all of the Gospels? And that a passage from those Gospels is read every week in church? Maybe they think Catholic mass is just a bunch of foreigners burning incense and offering up slaughtered animals to an altar of Mary or something.

Perhaps this is the orientation/"language school" and they will go to their real mission soon.

I do not see where it says they have two and a half weeks left, although the second link dd not open for me. Where does it say that, if true, how strange.

Perhaps Jill does not have an actual job other than "Pastor's wife". Duggar women do not "work" outside the home after they have babies.

"People without hope hearing the amazing Gospel of hope for the first time... "

Did they actually say that about people in El Salvador? Do they have no idea that this has been an overwhelmingly Christian country for nearly half a millennium?

On second thought, I'm wondering if they, especially Jill, don't know that Catholics actually have a Bible translation of their own, complete with all of the Gospels? And that a passage from those Gospels is read every week in church? Maybe they think Catholic mass is just a bunch of foreigners burning incense and offering up slaughtered animals to an altar of Mary or something.

Your second thought is fairly accurate. Fundies can be incredibly misinformed about Catholicism.

When I was growing up adventist, I was under the impression, whether consciously told or not, that all catholic masses were always in Latin, and that no one understood the bible as it was being read to them.

And that people got poked with sticks by ushers if they dozed off. And that it was boring....

And somehow,, even though it was all in Latin, they all got indoctrinated into Catholicism through mass even though no one speaks Latin.

Fundy logic, -02 class.

When I was growing up adventist, I was under the impression, whether consciously told or not, that all catholic masses were always in Latin, and that no one understood the bible as it was being read to them.

And that people got poked with sticks by ushers if they dozed off. And that it was boring....

And somehow,, even though it was all in Latin, they all got indoctrinated into Catholicism through mass even though no one speaks Latin.

Fundy logic, -02 class.

That is funny. I have heard that Seventh Day Adventists often are particularly hostile to Catholicism, though. I'm sure not all are this way, but Ellen G. White was apparently particularly critical of the RC church, and there is a widespread belief that the Pope is the anti-Christ and the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon.

Did you find this to be true growing up? Especially in comparison to the attitudes towards other denominations?

That is funny. I have heard that Seventh Day Adventists often are particularly hostile to Catholicism, though. I'm sure not all are this way, but Ellen G. White was apparently particularly critical of the RC church, and there is a widespread belief that the Pope is the anti-Christ and the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon.

Did you find this to be true growing up? Especially in comparison to the attitudes towards other denominations?

Not Adventist, but I did. Only fundamentalists care about these things anymore.

In the past, when numbers of non-Christian immigrants were really low, the only thing that that different denominations had to snipe at each other about where small doctrinal differences. Although to them, these small differences were a huge thing. It is not unusual to visit a small New England town and see that there are/were several denominations present. Sometimes the churches were built right beside each other in a row. The Catholic Church was often not allowed to set up inside town limits (you know, dirty Irish and all that). (I am talking about 100 years ago).

Now there are high numbers of non-Christian immigrants and old doctrinal disputes are less important. The doctrinal differences are seen for being as petty as they always were. Not only are there increasingly high numbers of people that are not affiliated with a particular denomination, it has become less and less significant what denomination anyone belongs to or if they practice a religion at all--in terms of being employable or fitting in with society.

HOWEVER it is true that before Vatican II, the Roman Catholic Church did perform all masses in Latin. Priests had to know Latin. It was how the Church communicated to one another for centuries and centuries. All educated people knew Latin. It was like how contemporary scholars have to learn English to publish in International journals.

I believe the Catholic Church also had a stance where they did not approve of uneducated people believing they understood the bible and its history well enough to properly interpret it. That just led to upstarts like JB twisting scripture into some weird prescription for mullet hair and courting rules.

I grew up pre-Vatican II. It happened when I was in high school. The MASS was in Latin. The READINGS were in English. (So we got our gospel, OK?) We knew the proper responses. I learned all the Latin responses and behaviors to become an altar server. However, altar servers weren't allowed to be female for much longer after V II.

I grew up pre-Vatican II. It happened when I was in high school. The MASS was in Latin. The READINGS were in English. (So we got our gospel, OK?) We knew the proper responses. I learned all the Latin responses and behaviors to become an altar server. However, altar servers weren't allowed to be female for much longer after V II.

Yes, it is ridiculous to suggest that Catholics do not have intimate knowledge of the bible, the gospels, and the message of Jesus.

I think that a Catholic that attends mass at least once per weak has actually read more bible than the average protestant. The church runs through the entire bible each year, I believe.

My dad once studied to be a Catholic Priest (60's I believe) and he is probably one of the very few men who know fluent latin. Good for the Millionaire questions, but not when you're sitting on the couch. :P

Also he doesn't like talking about the seminary and gets very shitty when I bring it up. I don't want to bag him about it - I just want to ask curious questions, but even then he refuses to talk about it.

I do not see where it says they have two and a half weeks left, although the second link dd not open for me. Where does it say that, if true, how strange.

It's a one month mission trip. They've said it on the SOS site and other "missionaries" have said it. I don't know what the Dillards are doing after. Maybe staying on. its strange that they don't have a permanent assignment under some sort of governing body.

Wait, what? This is seriously only a month-long trip? From all the fuss I assumed they were actually moving to another country. A month is nothing. Why exactly did they make that big announcement and why have they been soliciting funds if it's only a month?

Me too. I guess go back home and grift? I still can't get over Derrick quitting a stable job for a long vacation. The stupidity. :doh:

Also, do they think trying to make people follow their version of Christianity will solve all the local people's problems? Will these people magically have big houses and running water after realizing the error of their ways?

Yes. That is precisely what they think.

It's a one month mission trip. They've said it on the SOS site and other "missionaries" have said it. I don't know what the Dillards are doing after. Maybe staying on. its strange that they don't have a permanent assignment under some sort of governing body.

Thank you. I can't believe they asked for money for a month long trip. i can't believe he quite that job for this. They must have made a longer commitment as Holy Missionaries of Gothard....geeze......it is so crazy. So Very Crazeeeeee......

Thank you. I can't believe they asked for money for a month long trip. i can't believe he quite that job for this. They must have made a longer commitment as Holy Missionaries of Gothard....geeze......it is so crazy. So Very Crazeeeeee......

My cousin who likes to engage in Voluntourism is the same. She will get money for a "Humanitarian Trip"; spend 1 week in Nepal and then spend at least another three in somewhere like France, Italy, Singapore etc.

Wait, what? This is seriously only a month-long trip? From all the fuss I assumed they were actually moving to another country. A month is nothing. Why exactly did they make that big announcement and why have they been soliciting funds if it's only a month?

I have a suspicion that Derick might have wanted to go longer but JB was so horrified that Jill would be out of his influence. I completely believe JB pulls parental guilt trips to keep them close.

With all the hoopla, they have to be going somewhere else after this. If one month is it...that would be utterly ridiculous.

Archived