IGNORED

"19 Kids" Cancelled

Kira

. . . Does this person understand what molestation is? Because I'm pretty sure Josh absolutely 100% DID molest his victims. :angry-banghead:

What the hell are the quoted people thinking? They are positively certifiable. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know anything about either of the organizations, but is there any chance the special might focus on ex fundies speaking about abuse? That would be interesting and possibly better. Jill and Jessa can say whatever it is they want to say, and then ex fundies can react and speak about why Jill and Jessa say these things.

I am probably hoping for way too much though :(

Lisa Valestro, sister of Buddy Valestro from Cake Boss would be a good one to be involved. She was married to Remy. Remy plead guilty to sexual assaulting at least one teenage girl.

What got deleted? I can still see the posts from Duggar family and Lily & Ellie.

There was a previous new posting for today, about supporting the show and all it has done for you.

That was deleted suddenly, and there was nothing up for awhile.

Now there is a new posting about the TLC announcement with the message from TLC and the Duggars' response.

In terms of actual development, 18 is a really arbitrary distinction point. Josiah has been an "adult" for ten months, and is only a year older than Joy. Yet you are putting them in completely different categories, as if he is going to be massively different in maturity and understanding than her. I appreciate what you are saying about the oldest children, but with young adults it really isn't that black and white.

For the record, I wasn't raised fundy at all, but at 18 I would happily have got married and had a baby and thought it was a great idea even if my husband didn't have a great job. It's only as I've got a bit older (I''m 25) that I've been able to see and appreciate all the world has to offer and understood how much my friends who married straight out of school gave up in terms of life choices.

Trust me, I'm aware that there isn't much difference. Lol!

You have to set the bar somewhere though. There's not a big difference between 17 and 16 or 16 and 15 or 15 and 14 or.... I could continue, but you get the point. I picked the cutoff I did because legally 18 is when those kids can leave without their parents being able to stop them. At 17, Joy still can't leave without her parents stopping her. I was speaking more to that fact than to any developmental differences.

Well, I leave FJ for the day, and come back to this. What pleasant news, though I can't say I'm particularly surprised.

Like others, I'm not holding my breath for the documentary to be particularly insightful/helpful/not minimizing, but I hope RAINN and D2L can make sure viewers know that the Duggar situation is not healthy/right, etc. etc. etc.

Don't think Jill and Jessa will do anything but toe the party line, but still hoping maybe one of them might crack. We already saw Jill crack a little ("we can't speak for the other victims.")

Also of the opinion that the Duggars' statement was at least in part crafted by PR people/lawyers.

Also, I think it's unfair to say that the chidults have had opportunities/time to break away. I don't think we should judge whatever reason they have for staying (being naive and afraid of hell, unaware of opportunities out there for them, wanting/feeling an obligation to protect younger siblings)

For the record, my comment was not meant to be judgemental of their choices, but an observation that at this point they are choosing to stay for whatever reason. And because they stay I no longer have an interest in speculating about their futures (everyone else feel free to though - I find the ideas rather entertaining.)

Regarding the older children, even within their own fundie framework, there were still some choices. I mean, even Jill decided to get some midwife training, never mind how good it is, she did strive for something and did it. JD has his pilot's license and flies planes, has a towing business, is a constable. There's still some degree of choice in their lives. It may not be great choices from our perspective but I can tell you that from growing up in a family where choices were allowed within a certain framework, you can learn to make it work for you. So yeah, from that perspective I can see that the older kids still at home are making certain choices that keep them there. As limiting as JB and J'chelle are, they aren't chaining their kids to the wall either. Plus all the kids have been exposed to the world outside having experiences that many of us, including myself, haven't had. You can't "un-experience" something. So yeah, I get the argument that the older kids have been the choice to stay where they are, though I hold out on Josiah as he's just turned 18.

Yeah, look at Alyssa Bates. That girl gave a masterclass in playing the cards she was dealt to the best of her ability. She might not lead the life many of us would have chosen, but she got out of her family's home as soon as she could to somewhere far away where they couldn't drop in unannounced - I never got the impression she liked living with so many people - and is able to have her own standards about modesty, be friends with whoever she chooses, and raise her child the way she sees fit.

I got the alert on my phone during my internship this morning and my first thought was "I wonder whats going on with FJ?"

I agree with basically all of you saying that are saying that this will definitely not be the end for the duggars. They will try to come into our lives somehow. I also have a deep feeling in the pit of my stomach that some channel like UP might take them. I'm not surprised with that channel, especially how they still play 7th Heaven even though Stephen Collins admitted to molestation.

Also I got sick looking at their official page which I know I shouldn't have but I did and ugh :angry-banghead:

I also have hope that RAINN and D2L will hopefully make a difference! I used RAINN before and they were such a great organization to work with and to help me. Hoping they can really promote that during this "special"

I am happy to hear this.

We most definitely know that this is NOT the end of the Duggars though.

Josh may be "gone" but the rest of the family most certainly are not.

Sorry Marjorie- that big wedding and all those presents? Not gonna happen.

Sorry Anna - no filmed birth for you.

Boob and Mullet - SUCK IT you cold and callous humans!

Thank you!! Thank you 10 million!!!

It annoys me that it's only 90x90. Here's another one, 160x160 (I'm doing this the easiest way possible on imgur, which is why I didn't just make a 100x100--they don't have that option :| ):

9kwVwckb.jpg

Ben is totally screwed. He has absolutely nothing to offer an employer, even McDonald's.

Mostly, they're all screwed because none of them has anything to offer an employer. But, Ben willing dove into that world and sold himself to the Boob. Most 19 year olds who make bad life altering mistakes can fix them or move on. Ben married and is procreating - he's done. No pitty. None. Not for him or any of the rest.

Except maybe the little ones who will get hit with plumbing line since there aren't camera's or crew around to keep them safe anymore.

Yeah, look at Alyssa Bates. That girl gave a masterclass in playing the cards she was dealt to the best of her ability. She might not lead the life many of us would have chosen, but she got out of her family's home as soon as she could to somewhere far away where they couldn't drop in unannounced - I never got the impression she liked living with so many people - and is able to have her own standards about modesty, be friends with whoever she chooses, and raise her child the way she sees fit.

To the bolded: exactly. Never thought she was keen on being around so many people either. At first, I was a bit dismayed that she was marrying so young but since then I have realized that girlfriend knew exactly what she was doing. She's not too close to family and can carry on her life without Mom and Dad butting in all the time, something that I think the other married Bates kids, who live closer to their parents, have to deal with.

So 19KAC is cancelled? Hallelujah, praise the Lord! :cracking-up: BUT...

When the Gosselins publicly imploded, I don't think anyone imagined they'd be back on TV a few years later, and yet here they are. And Kate Gosselin has been accused of child abuse herself and is openly despised by many people. So I wouldn't put it past TLC to test the waters with some of these upcoming "specials" and then work their way up to another series. I know it seems like it would be boring to watch Jill or Jessa sitting around doing nothing, but TLC would manufacture things for them to do, and I also don't think we should underestimate how many leghumpers would watch simply because they care about these girls; they're invested in their lives. Until the molestation scandal broke, I used to be somewhat invested, too, albeit not for the same reason the leghumpers were. Now I would never watch them again, but I'm sure there are people who would. Enough to sustain a spin-off for more than a season or two? Maybe not. But TLC is a morally bankrupt network, and I wouldn't put it past them to try to squeeze every last dollar out of this family.

I hate to say it, but I don't see the educational special as a positive sign. I don't believe for a minute that the head honchos at TLC care about sexual abuse victims. I think they're just trying to rehabilitate the Duggar franchise. They were hoping the Faux News special would do that for them, but they got slapped in the face with the reality that most people take "light touching over the clothes" very seriously, so now they're backtracking and trying to pacify the angry public. The whole special will be carefully crafted by TLC, and if RAINN or D2L have anything critical to say about JB, M, or Josh, that will be edited out. The Duggar girls will be presented as survivors who got the help they needed. They'll talk about the importance of familial support and use JB & M as examples of parents who did the right thing, taking them to counseling and making sure Josh got the help he needed. :ew: It will be just one lie after another.

As for the future of the Duggar family, even if they don't get the show back, I think they'll be fine. I believe JB is worth much more than has been publicly reported, and they have a big enough fan base left in fundie circles to make a bundle off of speaking engagements, endorsements, books, web sites, or whatever else they choose to use as a vehicle. Ultimately, I think JB will be able to support each of the kidults until they get on their feet, most of them probably in trade jobs and small business, and when he and M pass on, each family will get a hefty inheritance infusion to keep them going. Nope, not worried about them at all.

TLC, if you send your minions here, just know that I used to be a fan of several of your reality shows, and I've given up watching all of them because of your support of the Duggars and their sick, abusive views, and if you bring back any kind of spin-off, I'll write every sponsor on that show and threaten to boycott their products. Have a nice day! :)

A new official blog posting and the opening of a last ditch effort to save all the Duggars hold dear:

It's Not to Late to Support the Duggars

As of this morning, 19 Kids and Counting has been canceled. (Click here for details.) However, there is still time to show your support for the Duggars and to urge TLC to rethink it's decision.

Post a comment explaining why you want 19 Kids and Counting to remain on the air, and then head over to SupportTheDuggars.com to sign the petition.

Our blog will continue to run as usual, so come back often for updates. We have been blogging on behalf of the Duggars for nearly six years and will continue to stick with them.

I believe they are done with the Duggars for good when TLC removes all the lighting, window coverings and whatever else they installed for filming. I remember when they took the lighting out of Kate's house it meant the end of a regular show for years.

One thing I dislike about the 19 kids going, is I bet Kate gets more episodes again! It would be so nice if TLC could be Kate and Duggar free at the same time?

Ben is totally screwed. He has absolutely nothing to offer an employer, even McDonald's.

Mostly, they're all screwed because none of them has anything to offer an employer. But, Ben willing dove into that world and sold himself to the Boob. Most 19 year olds who make bad life altering mistakes can fix them or move on. Ben married and is procreating - he's done. No pitty. None. Not for him or any of the rest.

Except maybe the little ones who will get hit with plumbing line since there aren't camera's or crew around to keep them safe anymore.

Between the Derick and Ben, Ben is the one most likely to be messed up by having gotten involved with this family. At least he did graduate CC and if he gets a clue, he could go on to get a four year degree at a regular college. But he's too busy spouting off dumb stuff and I don't think his headstrong wife helps things either. I know Derick had plans to go back into the mission field but I would have liked to see him build his career further whether at Walmart HQ or some other accounting / finance job. He may need that experience again down the line, the career building years post college are important and he jumped off the track a bit too early IMHO. That's where I think it could mess things up for him but maybe the mission field is where he will make a mark, who knows. I do think at the very least, he and Jill got away from this clusterfuck of a family and that can only be a good thing.

I believe they are done with the Duggars for good when TLC removes all the lighting, window coverings and whatever else they installed for filming. I remember when they took the lighting out of Kate's house it meant the end of a regular show for years.

One thing I dislike about the 19 kids going, is I bet Kate gets more episodes again! It would be so nice if TLC could be Kate and Duggar free at the same time?

The fact that all that did not mean they were done with Kate for good also tells us something about the potential future of the Duggars.

Ben has work experience and some kind of diploma. He is far from the first young man with questionable career prospects to start a family. I think people are being absurdly alarmist about him. He knows that the responsibility to provide for his family rests on his shoulders. He may be young, but he's not a child and he does have functional brain (contrary to popular belief). The idea that he couldn't even get hired at McDonald's is ridiculous. He's not a meth-addicted high school drop-out with a criminal record. He's not going to let them starve. They'll be just fine.

^ Just because the Duggars won't be the on the air regularly any more doesn't mean they won't be around making buffoons of themselves for us to snark at. Lol...I'm happy the show is done. About time, TLC! And there are so many other concerning citizens of fundie land to learn about. Happy reading and snarking!

This is true. There is an election coming up.

On the other hand, what political candidate wants THEM in their corner?

So, someone started a thread about this but is disappeared?

Anyway, there's apparently now supporttheduggars.com.

From the website:

TLC has announced that it has permanently cancelled 19 Kids and Counting.

While the Duggar family may not be perfect and they’ve had difficulties like so many other families, their show WAS one of the few clean, family-friendly shows on TV. Sadly, there isn’t much a family can watch together any longer. The airwaves are full of terrible, trashy television! It isn't right that the Duggars must be forced off the air while the filthy shows remain!

We want our voices to be heard! We all know the power of standing together—just ask A&E what happened when they cancelled Duck Dynasty!

It seems that every day in America our values and way of life are disappearing. We must all stand together.

Please complete the petition form below to tell the Duggar Family we support them and to tell TLC that we want the Duggars back on the air!

Then you can fill out a little form with your name, state, and email address.

There's also this disclaimer:

I knowingly and voluntarily add my name and other personal information to this petition. I understand that, by doing so, I am indicating my support for both 19 Kids and Counting and the Duggar family. I am over 18 years old and agree that any personal information collected through this site, including, without limitation, my name, geographic location, email and/or support for 19 Kids and Counting and/or the Duggar family, may be shared with TLC and/or other third parties for any purpose; and that such parties may use such information in any manner, including, without limitation, to communicate with me.

And:

This site is not endorsed by nor affiliated with the Duggar Family. To learn more about the Duggar Family visit duggarfamily.com.

I took a screencap of the photos they have on the site:

KrDxEMk.jpg?1

Josh appears to be missing... :think:

Edit: Breaking link.

Between the Derick and Ben, Ben is the one most likely to be messed up by having gotten involved with this family. At least he did graduate CC and if he gets a clue, he could go on to get a four year degree at a regular college. But he's too busy spouting off dumb stuff and I don't think his headstrong wife helps things either.

Benessa will be fine. They have many leghumpers who love them because they're pretty and spout things that said leghumpers agree with. They will continue to be fundy prince and princess for years to come, I'm sure. There is a lot that someone with a million fans can do to monetize them on the Interwebz.

This is true. There is an election coming up.

On the other hand, what political candidate wants THEM in their corner?

No politician will touch the Duggars with a ten foot pole. Apart from maybe Huckabee, who has been in cahoots with them for decades, all of them will try to distance themselves as far as possible from them.

DowntownAbbey, you should break that link.

Thanks for the catch. I missed it while copying/pasting.

Archived