IGNORED

"19 Kids" Cancelled

Kira

It's about damn time! Seriously. I'm so glad this is happening finally.

I don't agree about the Duggars still being very "public". They will go the way of all other washed up reality show has-beens. They will do some crappy speaking engagements and a shoddy book or two, then disappear into the background. They have a lot of leghumpers who will move on to the next crazy fundie TV family. "Fans" really aren't THAT devout. There may be a couple thousand who are but the rest will move on.

As for the special-I really wish they wouldn't have Jill and Jessa in it. I think they've been through enough, honestly. Let them be newlyweds and new mom's in peace. They might not realize it right now, but I think it'd do them both some good being out of the spotlight. I also don't believe they can add much of anything g productive to a sexual abuse campaign. I don't believe it would do them a bit of good to put them in the face of advocacy groups/other CSA survivors, particularly publicly.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see any value the Duggars as a show could provide to UP. They already have the Bates'. I do think there will be some visiting, and Jana is going to be in the next Bates wedding, but that will be it.

It took TLC an awful long time to cancel the show. To use a cliche here, I wonder what was the straw that broke the camel's back?

I think they thought the Duggars were smart enough to say that right things, so that the interview with Megyn Kelly would have smoothed things over a bit. But they only dug themselves further into their graves.

I will also say this; they have a REAL chance to make some powerful statements about abuse and the impact on victims, and how to respond ... I will be FURIOUS if they turn it into a one hour rape apology.

The Bates family did not have an adult son admit to sexually abusing his younger sisters before they got picked up by the UP Network. The Duggars do. If the UP Network has anyone with half a brain on their staff, they will stay far away from this family.

As I said, without Josh and limited to no JB and Michelle. I really wouldn't put it past them. They could be seen as the "true Christian network" who forgives the Duggars for their teenage son's "mistakes". :disgust: Kirk and Candace can come on and blather about modesty and forgiveness, and it'll all be good. The leghumpers would eat it up. Honestly, how many people who aren't leghumpers are watching the UP network, anyway?

The Bates family did not have an adult son admit to sexually abusing his younger sisters before they got picked up by the UP Network. The Duggars do. If the UP Network has anyone with half a brain on their staff, they will stay far away from this family.

Agree. The Duggar brand is toxic, the Bates' brand, as far as their public appeal goes, is not. Plus there's the real possibility that there's other skeletons in the Duggar closet.

Did Tlc do anything educational about sexual abuse when they cancelled honey boo boo or (whatever that godawful show,was called) because the mother was dating a child molester who had molested one of her daughters?

I hope that TLC will take into consideration how their three their most popular reality shows about families has ended in scandal and disgrace. I think it is unethical to film a child's life day in and day out for the entertainment of others. The youngest Duggar children have never known life without a camera in their face and I know that that's got to be damaging to them.

No, probably because they didn't need to do damage control. They were lauded for immediately canceling the show. In the case of the Duggars, TLC fucked up majorly by not immediately cancelling and by just retweeting Josh's and the family's initial statements--which came across as a sign of support--and then running a 19KAC marathon. Then the Duggars fucked up by doing that interview and making themselves look even worse. And then that 911 call came out with the Duggars refusing to let DHS in, which just fanned the flames.

I'm happy that it's finally been cancelled, but the way it's been done just gives me all sorts of bad vibes. The fact that TLC and the Duggars are being so publicly amicable about this (because no way would Jim Bob be so chill about the cancellation unless TLC was promising him something); that Jill and Jessa will be involved in this "documentary" about sexual abuse with RAINN and Darkness to Light adding legitimacy (because I cannot believe that Jill/Jessa will have any contact with those organizations--RAINN and DtL won't be responding to anything Jill and Jessa say, it will likely be each giving their "side" in separate interviews). TLC hasn't given up trying to make money off this family.

Singed,

Queen Debbie Downer

And I never once said I objected to the special, even in my original comment. I don't need to be talked to like a child. Thanks.

Then quit acting like a child and taking offense at slight disagreements with your noble efforts.

I don't think UP will want the Duggars. Scandal, potentially more scandal, and the leghumpers are getting their fix with the Bateses.

Wouldn't surprise me if there was some sort of "amicable divorce" settlement between Jim Bob and TLC.

Perhaps Gothard will provide employment to Duggars who request it.

Hope the kids can focus more on their educations (for what they're worth), and what they want for their futures without the cameras around.

I don't think UP will want the Duggars. Scandal, potentially more scandal, and the leghumpers are getting their fix with the Bateses.

Wouldn't surprise me if there was some sort of "amicable divorce" settlement between Jim Bob and TLC.

Perhaps Gothard will provide employment to Duggars who request it.

Hope the kids can focus more on their educations (for what they're worth), and what they want for their futures without the cameras around.

The Gothard financial empire is shrinking, not expanding. And hasn't it already been discussed that many of the young people working at Gothard HQ are essentially "volunteers" getting little more than room and board, if that?

The Duggar snark cant end its my favorite :(

It won't. These people crave the spotlight, and most of them will continue to find some way to get back into it. Several people have pointed out that the Duggars could draw an income from becoming partners on YouTube, and even if no one else wanted them to speak at rallies and luncheons, I think they'd do exactly that. They could film and promote their own specials on YouTube, and I think this includes even Josh.

At any rate, we haven't heard the last of the Duggars. There's always going to be new material to snark on.

I would be surprised if TLC owed them much, if anything. Morals clause or no, a show can be cancelled for any reason and all that might be owed is any work the actors/participants did that is "in the can" but never to be aired.

Maybe Jim Bob had some sort of special contract with them, but I don't see why TLC would feel the need to enter into any prior agreement beyond what they are owed per episode. No episodes, no checks.

As I said, without Josh and limited to no JB and Michelle. I really wouldn't put it past them. They could be seen as the "true Christian network" who forgives the Duggars for their teenage son's "mistakes". :disgust: Kirk and Candace can come on and blather about modesty and forgiveness, and it'll all be good. The leghumpers would eat it up. Honestly, how many people who aren't leghumpers are watching the UP network, anyway?

Even without Josh and the parents, I don't see UP Network taking them on. This story was so public and had such a huge backlash that I don't think UP would risk it (if they're smart at least). I do agree that they stand a better chance without including those three - I just think its really unlikely.

At any rate, we haven't heard the last of the Duggars. There's always going to be new material to snark on.

That's exactly right.

The very fact they are already producing and airing their own videos on YouTube due to the TLC blackout shows they will do it all "inhouse."

I am betting in true fashion, Boob got the TLC crew to teach all the Duggar kids how to videotape, produce, do sound, and editing.

I also think the Duggars hired a PR firm that have guided every post and move since the Megan Kelly interview disaster. They are remaining on point: religion, babies, birthdays, anniversaries and engagements.

Damn right. I mostly snark on the Maxwells and the Shupes, and only occasionally check out the Quiver Full of Duggars. They aren't going to go away either- the married ones still have their Instagrams. And, once you've started on the 'celebrity' path, there is no way of leaving it. The Duggars won't be forgotten about- they won't want to be for a start.

I have yet to go down the Maxwell rabbit hole, but I really want to. There is so much information and history I know it will take me forever.

May I present you all with my non dugger FJ favorites:

Erika Shupe is my new Idol on FJ. She is so evil and you couldn’t make up the stuff she dose if you tired. She has horrifying blog pots detailing every aspect of her and her children’s lives (which she schedules down to the minuet). Here is her post on first time obedience:

largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2011/05/first-time-obedience-for-children.html

I found FJ because of Sparkling Lauren a while back. She and Her 4 daughters travel around Australia and New Zealand in a bus. She and her husband were ubar religious and then became... crazy aniti-govement nomads. The father killed their 5th child the only boy about 3 years ago. She recently was involved in a quasi illegal surgery to some gold star gays in Iceland.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24040

And to round out the bunch is another traveling family, The RV living Rodrigues! The parents are evil charters out of a Disney movie and they squeeze now 12 (they birthed a daughter yesterday) rail thin kids in their RV. They show up at churches all over the US to sing and screech on instruments for love offerings.

rodriguesfamilyministries.com/main/?page_id=1783

I have quite enjoyed the Dugger snark up until recently. I wanted them to be taken down, but not like this. For everyone who stays in the Dugger section only, you are missing out on some fabulous stuff.

Personally, I don't hold out a lot of hope for the TLC Very Special Episode to be anything helpful. Even if RAINN and D2L (don't know anything about D2L) are involved, TLC is still producing, writing, hiring, filming and editing. Jessa and Jill will simply spout the same lame excuses they did with Megyn Kelly and talk about mistakes, curiosity, subtleness and forgiveness. I am not anticipating a hard hitting, or even moderately effective look at child molestation if the Duggars are involved.

Perhaps the special will have Jill and Jessa on to show how victims can go into denial and try to minimize what happened to them.

What are the chances that the Duggars will watch the special? Jim Boob and Michelle probably won't watch or let any of the kids living in the house watch. They can't take the risk of being exposed to new ideas.

I'm sure Jill and Jessa and their husbands will watch. Maybe the older kids will watch it secretly while visiting Jill or Jessa.

Thank you TLC!

The "special episode" will be fluff and probably be largely overlooked.

Maybe they's go the way of the Ardnt's and buy time on public access TV for their home-produced shows.

I never contact media about anything but I'm going to now. Anyone know who would be the best person to contact at Discovery/TLC about this? A quick search turned up a few options but I have no idea who to reach to have the most impact.

TLC is reading here. They would be foolish not to. If you cant get their attention with a personal letter, it won't hurt to post an "open letter".

I think I've gotten seriously bitter over the past few months - that said:

I feel no worry or pity for the adult children in that household. Jana, John-David, Jinger, Josiah, and Joseph have all had time to break away if they wanted to. Same with Josh, Anna, Jill, Derick, Jessa, and Ben. The fact that they stay indicates to me that they want to be there at this point. Whether its because they want to "protect" the younger siblings or they honestly like being there doesn't matter much - they stay because they choose to.

Do I sympathize with them for the fucked up way they were raised? Yes. Do I feel terrible that they likely were taught that there were no other options for them? Of course. Do I think that they are so brainwashed that they honestly don't understand that their lifestyle is far from normal and, in many ways, detrimental to their health? Absolutely.

But they are adults and as adults, whether they realize it or not, they have made a choice to stay. So they get no worrying from me about their futures - at this point, they've made their decisions and they have to live with it.

As for the minors (including Joy who turns 18 this fall and all the grand-kids)? I do feel concern for them. They have no options for getting out if they wanted to and I feel badly that their lives are going to change so much from all this. They will still be subjected to the same shitty parenting as always, just with a more intense focus on discipline now that the camera crews are gone. I do feel genuine sympathy for the younger kids who did nothing to deserve any of this and have no say.

To me, this sounds a lot like blaming the woman for not leaving the abuser who's abusing her. Systematic years of abuse (and, in addition to the sexual abuse, we know there was physical abuse when they were younger, and I'd bet a lot that there was emotional abuse, as well) make a person truly, truly believe that they can't leave. I mean, one of the things that abused women say is that they DIDN'T realize it was abuse. This whole family is screwed up because of J-Bob and Michelle and Josh, and I bet these women and girls truly, absolutely believe that they are NOT being abused. If they do, I am almost positive that they think there is no way to get out of the situation. Their parents have been abusing them in one form or another for 20+ years. You don't just "wake up" out of that, even if it's all over the media. It sometimes takes YEARS to come to terms with it.

Edited b/c I can't do quotes very well.

I know you're right about this, but...I still want them yelled at, frankly. I agree that they won't learn anything that way, but they won't learn anything anyway, not for a very long time and not unless they encounter some life experiences that make it happen. That being the case, I'd rather them double down due to criticism, because I cannot stand letting their ignorant, bigoted bullshit stand unchallenged. I don't care about them or their feelings--they're lost causes for the foreseeable future--I care about who's watching and listening to them and maybe getting the message that they have valid points when no one directly and harshly tells them that they are wrong.

At this point, I think only A Clockwork Orange-style reprogramming will help them...revised for ultra-fundamentalism instead of ultra-violence.

I somehow got into a Facebook news group post. Some of the comments just leave me shaking my head. Like these

no I don't think it's about time that the show has been cancelled. I believe that what happened happened way before the show even was started on TLC. I also think it is ridiculous to cancel the show based on something that happened many years ago and I think it is crazy that people would pull up information from somebody's past like that to ruin them and their family.

Sharon you have no idea what you are talking about, He touched the girls he did not rape or molest them

his problem has nothing to do with the show or his parents, it has to do with a problem a big amount of males have, molestation, rape and abuse, which is in the human dna, unfortunately

Maybe now TLC can bring awareness to the murder of abortion and how disgusting it is! Do some reality show on people who have chosen to not abort their babies and where their children are today! If we can't watch the wonderful show of the Duggar family then let's have a reality show about something beneficial and worthy of watching!

Really?!?!? How can people still defend them?

I somehow got into a Facebook news group post. Some of the comments just leave me shaking my head. Like these

Really?!?!? How can people still defend them?

the idiocy is astonishing. And these people vote!

I would be surprised if TLC owed them much, if anything. Morals clause or no, a show can be cancelled for any reason and all that might be owed is any work the actors/participants did that is "in the can" but never to be aired.

Maybe Jim Bob had some sort of special contract with them, but I don't see why TLC would feel the need to enter into any prior agreement beyond what they are owed per episode. No episodes, no checks.

Could be wrong but doubt there was a special contract as per the bolded. However, I can totally see TLC facing a panicky JB, perhaps with lawyers, trying to keep the show going in some form. TLC probably made a point of dotting the i's and crossing the t's legally to be sure the family goes away.

the idiocy is astonishing. And these people vote!

there are Christian families dying in Iraq and Syria because of ISIS, yet these people think it's an abomination for a transgender child to be validated.

Jesus weeps.

Archived