IGNORED

"19 Kids" Cancelled

Kira

I was far too triggered to watch the megyn Kelly interviews, but just reading transcripts here made me, as an adult survivor of csa, want to rend my garments, throw ashes on my head and wail...they were so wrong on so many levels and I cannot imagine anything useful in having those young women on that tlc special except as an example of how not to handle csa.

Edited for oops.

This. I totally agree with this.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I mean, how could that ever work? You can't even talk about '19 Children' without having to mention Josh in some way, and no network would want to touch him with a bargepole.

I can see UP being happy to feature some of the girls in a crossover/visit kind of way, but not the whole family.

Its true. Almost 2 months after the "bombshell" and people continue to have an appetite to discuss it. Plus anything any of them posts on twitter or instagram is followed with a 1000 hate comments. I am surprised that Josh even attempts to post anything.

Gay "friends." Right. Is that like white people claiming they have black friends when they say something racist, and those friends turn out to be co-workers who have no choice but to nod and smile at their fuckery because they can't afford to mark waves at work?

People have a very loose and broad definition of "friend."

I think that TLC is done with the Duggars, but that JB will find another way to stay in the spotlight, even if it's through Youtube and social media making videos go viral. I also think that it's likely that the network that picked up the Bates show Up, will pick up the Duggars as well.

In my opinion, the cancellation is long overdue, and it should have happened the moment the molestation scandal broke. They immediately cancelled Honey Boo Boo when the news of the mother dating the person who molested one of the older girls, so at least I hope they include that victim on the special, since she's an ex TLC star.

I wonder if he'll try to weasel their show onto the UP network. Or if he's already tried to. I wonder how UP would react.

Does anyone else think Jim Bob will manage to elbow his way in front of the UP network's cameras at Michael Bates's wedding? Since Jana is one of the bridesmaids, I expect all the Duggars will be there. Jana will perform her role and not make a spectacle of herself, but Jim Bob and Michelle are too obnoxious and fame-hungry to stay away from that TV crew. I can also envision Jim Bob trying to wheel and deal with the producers to get an appearance fee for each Duggar that appears onscreen for more than a nanosecond.

Then quit acting like a child and taking offense at slight disagreements with your noble efforts.

Look, I have to agree with JesSky03, her original statement was clear. What she posted just emphasized what she said, it didn't change it. You're being ridiculous and, frankly, offensive. She did nothing wrong. She continued to do nothing wrong. You're in the wrong, but you can't admit it.

For everyone who thinks JB could wring a "settlement" out of TLC here's a note about TV contracts. They are written such that the network can cancel a show at any time and does not owe the participants a reason for the cancellation. It's the nature of the industry.

In terms of actual development, 18 is a really arbitrary distinction point. Josiah has been an "adult" for ten months, and is only a year older than Joy. Yet you are putting them in completely different categories, as if he is going to be massively different in maturity and understanding than her. I appreciate what you are saying about the oldest children, but with young adults it really isn't that black and white.

For the record, I wasn't raised fundy at all, but at 18 I would happily have got married and had a baby and thought it was a great idea even if my husband didn't have a great job. It's only as I've got a bit older (I''m 25) that I've been able to see and appreciate all the world has to offer and understood how much my friends who married straight out of school gave up in terms of life choices.

At 17, I had every intention of eloping with my then boyfriend as soon as we both turned 18, and then moving to Tahoe where we'd somehow be able to afford million dollar homes, despite not having any kind of actual income. The only reason it didnt happen was because I discovered he was cheating on me 2 months before that point.

That being said, I don't agree that any of the kids still living at home are able to realize and come to terms with the amount of abuse they've suffered through. They're still living with their abusers, all of them have been abused, everyone they interact with on a regular basis has either been abused or enabled abuse to some extent or another. Hell, even Ben, Derick, and Ben's family enabled abuse after the news broke, if not before it it. They don't live in a culture that allows them to question such things. It's dangerous, it's harmful, but it's not their fault.

Their culture has also taught them that if they leave their family, speak out against their family, question their faith, etc, they will be unable to contact ANYONE in their family or circle of friends because they've allowed the devil into their heart. They've been sent to camps to make sure they're properly indoctrinated. They've been taught JOY their entire lives. They've been taught to accept and enable abuse. They've been taught to not question their authority figures. And they're never able to do anything as an individual. They have accountability partners not only to keep them in line, but to make sure they don't see themselves as individuals. They can't spend time alone with their intended until after marriage to remind them they're not individuals AND to make sure that the intended is properly assimilated into the family unit. They are taught to parrot responses, and to look to others when they don't know the appropriate response. They've been taught to keep each other in check when they make statements that show too much individuality (eg Jinger's line about wanting to move to a city). They're taught not to work for anyone outside the family (except Jill and Jana who were allowed to pretend to train to be midwives/doulas, which is only appropriate because it's a woman's job and there are no males in charge).

None of the Duggar kids have the environment or resources they need to cope with what they've been through. And JD is the only one with the resources to break free (assuming he hasn't already done so).

What the hell are the quoted people thinking? They are positively certifiable. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

It's called rape culture. Minimize sexual attacks as much as possible, blame the victims, pretend its not as big of a deal as other issues, etc.

Michelle looked like she was going to lose it when Jill front hugged Derek. But Josh feeling up his sisters as long as it was above the clothes? Totes cool.

Because boys can't control their lust, and it's on the girl to make sure that she doesn't stir up those feelings. Josh acted out of lust because the girls were immodest somehow (dress or behavior), as per their beliefs. And, here's Jill stirring up desires in Derick on TV. And bringing attention to it by running across the "do not cross" line.

All of the kids but Josh can probably still get some kind of sponsorship for something. Or someone can cash in and do the tell-all.

If all else fails, they can start auctioning their stuff off on ebay. Betcha there are leghumpers out there that'll buy their stuff.

Well they do have that hoarders style warehouse full of crap.

So much for Jill being on a long-term mission trip. She has to be stateside for taping for an August documentary unless it was already in the can before her and Derick's alleged departure.

It wouldn't surprise me if they had already filmed all the Duggar parts. Hell, the Duggar parts may have been filmed before they announced they were canceling, which is why JB is now saying good things about the documentary. Can't go back on it once it's filmed. And it would look bad if it was full of the Duggars cooperating after JB stated that it was something he wouldn't help with.

Working at McDonald's has one requirement: to be over the age of 15. I think Ben hits that requirement.

I think it's ridiculous that people don't think Ben and Jessa will figure out a way to support their family. He's an asshole but he's perfectly capable of working, even if it means being a mule in a factory somewhere. Yeah they rode the fame train but reality will eventually set in. I don't understand why the general consensus in FJ is that the Duggar men can't figure their lives out. When push comes to shove they will manage. Jeesh.

I think it's completely ridiculous that people act like Ben's so stupid he can't tell his right hand from his left foot. He didn't just graduate with a 2 year degree (which, by the way, IS something he can offer to a company), he graduated WITH HONORS from an accredited school where he studied business. He's not an idiot. He may have maturity issues, but every 19/20 year old does, it comes with the territory.

And to the person who claimed that he can't get his life together because he's 19 and has a family, I have a friend who was heavily addicted to drugs at 13, dropped out of school at 15, ended up in group homes, tried to kill himself at 16 when he was in jail, and fathered a kid at 17. As soon as he found out about that child, he went to rehab. At 18, he had his record sealed and then he went back to school. He finished school, and went on to finish school. At 25, he graduated college with honors. At 26, he has full custody of his kid, a high paying job in the tech industry, and owns a home in the Silicon Valley.

Don't give me this crap that someone whose only fault is being married before he's completely mature is going to be a complete failure in life.

I am totally against Jill and Jessa being involved in this documentary if all they are going to do is minimize the abuse. However, I wonder why TLC isn't also involving the other girls? Now Jill and Jessa are being put in this position of "family abuse spokeswomen."

I thought it was all 4 of the girls, including Jill and Jessa.

For everyone who thinks JB could wring a "settlement" out of TLC here's a note about TV contracts. They are written such that the network can cancel a show at any time and does not owe the participants a reason for the cancellation. It's the nature of the industry.

Yep.

In fact, there's probably a better chance that TLC will chase after the Boobster for violations of contract clauses than it is that they owe him anything for canceling TLC's show.

I'm sure Jim Bob huffed and puffed, but in the end he and the rest of the people on the gravy chain are flat-out shit out-of-luck.

They never would have had the show in the first place if they'd been upfront about what Prince Josh did to their daughters. Doesn't matter if TLC heard rumors or not. The Duggars knew the reality of the situation and I'll bet they did not disclose.

In 15 years, you can bet your damn bottom dollar, I will sit down and watch Josie's wedding special

Haha, I think in one of the recent episodes JB said that it would only be 10 or 12 years until he would walk her down the isle. Yeah, Jim Boob, 14-16 is a perfect age to get married.Oh wait I forgot, you can't do numbers.

at will employment at its finest. :)

Don't give me this crap that someone whose only fault is being married before he's completely mature is going to be a complete failure in life.

I think he got married while he was unemployed, and then proceeded to knock up his wife while still unemployed. The baby will be here in three short months and he hasn't found a job yet. Guess he'll just be selling baby pictures to People to support the family. :angry-banghead:

Farting around dissing Mormons on YouTube does not count as a "job."

Does anyone know how the rates of the Dugger followers on fb, instagram and twitter changed between today and before the scandal broke? I would love to know those numbers.

On the upcoming "documentary": Worst case scenario is that Jill and Jessa use this to demonstrate that what happend to them really was nothing compared to what happend to the other girls featured in this "show". What drives me nuts is that Jill and Jessa are the Duggar spokespersons for the abuse. According to the Police Report, it was Jinger and Joy who had it the worst by Josh. Maybe Jessa and Jill really knew of nothing until they were told, but Jessa and Joy definitly have to have horrible memories, but they are not asked.

I'm in the group that believes Ben is perfectly capable of working, but just doesn't appear to be for some reason. He's got a job history and a degree, so there's no reason why he can't. Ben also could be on Jim Bob's payroll if he has his sons doing landscaping work for people.

I suppose it's also a possibility that Ben and Jessa are keeping quiet about his job prospects. If they want to keep that quiet as a matter of privacy, that's up to them, but there are better things to hide than a source of gainful employment. Hell, I'd want people to know I was working compared to letting them think I was a newlywed, unemployed teenager who is about to become a father.

To me, the issue is not whether Ben can work, because he obviously can. The problem is that he and his extended family have chosen to align themselves to a movement where everyone shuns conventional employment to have a "ministry." There is a ministry glut among fundies and I think many only stay afloat because people feel pity for the eleventy children who have to be supported by these grifting operations. I think many of us would not be so concerned if we didn't know that Benessa's plan is to have a baseball team worth of kids supported by their "ministry."

I think he got married while he was unemployed, and then proceeded to knock up his wife while still unemployed. The baby will be here in three short months and he hasn't found a job yet. Guess he'll just be selling baby pictures to People to support the family. :angry-banghead:

Farting around dissing Mormons on YouTube does not count as a "job."

He WASN'T unemployed. HE WAS EMPLOYED BY TLC. Just like ALL the other Duggars. If the ship hadn't gone down, they could ride that gravy train without ever NEEDING a job. But, that didn't stop him from getting a degree, which showed that he understood that it would end at some point and that he NEEDED a backup plan.

I'm in the group that believes Ben is perfectly capable of working, but just doesn't appear to be for some reason. He's got a job history and a degree, so there's no reason why he can't. Ben also could be on Jim Bob's payroll if he has his sons doing landscaping work for people.

I suppose it's also a possibility that Ben and Jessa are keeping quiet about his job prospects. If they want to keep that quiet as a matter of privacy, that's up to them, but there are better things to hide than a source of gainful employment. Hell, I'd want people to know I was working compared to letting them think I was a newlywed, unemployed teenager who is about to become a father.

It could be that the company he works for doesn't allow him to discuss the job or even the company's name. My dad isn't allowed to talk about where he works, and nor is anyone in my family. I'm allowed to say my dad's an aerospace engineer, sometimes I can even mention projects he worked on in the past if the projects were made public, but that's it. Ben could very well be in a similar situation, and they're not talking about it at all because they know that:

1. people won't just accept he has a job and no other information about it (I mean, some of you aren't even accepting that he has anything to offer a company, despite knowing that he graduated with honors in business)

2. people will snoop around and try to find him.

Or, it could be that he's just not really open about his job. If I remember correctly, he never actually told anyone about his job at the real estate company. People on here found him listed on a website or something and posted in a discussion. He never mentioned it publicly, at least not that I ever saw or heard. Maybe he just wants privacy at work. I wouldn't blame him. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Derick and Jill started moving forward with the whole missionary plan because people weren't respecting his privacy at work -- people on here emailed him at Walmart when the news broke that he had left, just to see if he had a forwarding address to his new job. I don't see Ben, or Derick, as being comfortable with that level of privacy invasion. It's one thing to be filmed when you're at your in-laws and everything is pretty well scripted; its a completely different thing to be hounded day and night by obsessed people, especially in a professional setting.

RE: Ben Seewald

1: He worked for his dad repairing windshields.

2: He went to an accredited college, got an associates degree in business management, graduated with honors, and made the Deans list on several occasions, meaning he had to hold at least a 3.6 GPA

3: He worked for a black real estate agent, had at least two gay friends that I know of, and invited them to his wedding (they did not attend, but only because we had a choir concert the day before and there waa no way they would have made it.)

4: He is very outspoken against human trafficking and rape. Yeah, mostly we hear about abortion. But he has in the past spoken out against rape an human trafficking.

There is a lot to snark on Ben about, but he has enough to get a job in a lot of places. He is not limited to McDonalds. Hell, he has more credentials than I do and I just got an excellent job making $10 an hour at a call center. If I can do it, so can he.

For all we know, he has a job and they are keeping it quiet. We all know they like their privacy and try to retain some of it.

Good post. Do you know Ben? From your post it sounds like you might.

Ben strikes me as malleable. I mean, he is preachy and convinced he knows more than he really does about life, but I think with the right influence, he is smart enough to learn more critical thinking skills. The fact that he graduated with honors, knowing that he did much of his schoolwork remotely is a good thing. This shows a dedication to his education that is admirable and shows a decent work ethic. When doing distance learning, it takes a lot of self discipline to really stick with it, and especially in Ben's situation, where he was living such an odd life with being on TV, living at the Duggars, etc. To have stuck with school is a good indication of some personal character.

Ben may well mature past his current state of arrogance, which, lets be honest is not really developmentally unexpected. Lots of kids his age, foolishly think they have life by the tail and have shit figured out.

And while I am not in agreement with Pa Seewald's take on life, I do think that he and Guinn seemed to allow their kids more personal freedoms and perhaps less brainwashing. This might mean that Ben may eventually be more open to learning and expanding his world view.

Jessa, on the other hand, I am less optimistic about. I hope I am wrong, and that she will in fact grow and mature, but I do wish that Ben would move her away from the Duggar home central. That would be the first step to his "headship" growth, and it would be good for both of them. Jessa seems to have some natural curiosity about some aspects of the outside world. We see it with her fashion and beauty regime. Possibly their choice of Honeymoon destination shows an interest that is beyond their small world in Arkansas. So if Ben would get them away from JB and M, they would just be better off.

Archived