IGNORED

"19 Kids" Cancelled

Kira

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here my thoughts on this new development

1) it took this long because Boob was fighting tooth & nail. There been rumors going around in the last month about him hiring a lawyer who speciality was in contract law so I think this was the hang up. I expect there was a generous pay out as well as a non-compete clause in what ever was signed.

2) The documentary is either going to be a success or a complete fail. I believe the bits with the Duggars or at least Jill has already been filmed and is sitting in post. One thing about the documentary is that it should lead to some great talking points.

3) I do think in <5 years that we will see some type of new incarnation of the show. If it airs on TLC then my beat is it going to follow the same pattern as Kate plus 8 did. Some fading from general public awareness with occasionally pop up on shows like dancing with the stars ( yes I know they are against dancing but I could possible see Jessa pop up on that show).

4) If they don't pop up back on TLC I have no question about the family being on UP. The channel is the only one still airing 7 heaven which faced samiler issue. I expect there is already some talk being done to get the family on there and when the non compete clause is over I would expect them to show up over there or at least a lot of rumors about the family appearing.

5) YouTube and social media is going to be in heavy use. We know before the scandal that the family was testing the water with the Duggar family studios. I expect there is going to be at least monthly video updates on the family come late Fall/ early winter. Instagram is going to be testing ground for whatever they do like the announcement of M4.

6) I think after little seawald is born we are going to hear about Ben attending a 4 year school to get a degree in theology. He already been testing the ground in that field with those videos and they seem to be fairly successful so I do see this being the path the Seawald family is going to go down.

7) Dillard's are probably going to be focused on their mission with occasional updates. After Izzy birth and leaving the country I do think they will be limiting their blessing. I expect a wide age gap between kids.

8) Anna. I feel that her whole life is going to change. Things with Josh is going to be rough. She won't have resources and experience she had in DC and that going to greatly effect her. Josh, we he screwed. He isn't going to be able to have a life in the public and likely going through depression right now. His options is either going to be tucked away in hiding at HQ in Chicago or stuck in hiding in Arkanas. I only way I think he'll be able to get any good out of this is if he the one to write the Tell All and make a very public confession on TV.

9) The kids left at home will probably probably be left with some privacy. Those of age will differently be married off in order for Boob to save money. My hope is that Joseph is able to finish school because that will allow to have some chance.

10) I just hope that Boob & DQ will fall even more from Grace due to their actions.

I somehow got into a Facebook news group post. Some of the comments just leave me shaking my head. Like these

Really?!?!? How can people still defend them?

White and christian. They can't do no wrong. God forgave him. The duggars are a happy Christian family, we need them as role models.

I really think the only part of this doc Jessa and Jill will be in will be the Faux News clip of Jill saying "we're victims, they can't do this." Could they really be stupid enough to have them say anything more? I'd rather hear Jinger's feelings since she seems to be the poor laundry room victim. Actually, I'd rather her talk that out with a licensed therapist, but you know.

A TLC special on sexual abuse with RAINN, D2L and the two Duggar daughters is the weirdest thing I've heard of in quite a while. :shock:

I've been reading with interest everyone's ideas on how or if this could possibly work.

I'm on team skeptical - that the daughters' participation will be minimal.

Nice work, though TLC. Got us talking about future specials.

Personally, I see it as a Duggar farewell: we'll see all the fun things they did, special moments they had, Josie the miracle baby's story, some words about what they're up to now and what they'll be doing in the future and then a cut away to someone saying "Sexual abuse is never alright. If you or someone you love needs help call: (whatever 1-800 #) or go to (whatever website.)"

So much for Jill being on a long-term mission trip. She has to be stateside for taping for an August documentary unless it was already in the can before her and Derick's alleged departure.

TLC has zero intentions of giving up the Duggar cash cow. All they are doing now is PR damage control and trying to find a way to re-brand the Duggars that won't spook advertisers or cause a public outcry.

Having Jill and Jessa in this special documentary is some of the most cynical PR I have seen in a long time posing as concern. The only concern TLC has is for their bottom line.

Not surprising that the Duggar's turned the Josh abuse scandal into yet another endless opportunity to "encourage" others and extend their ministry. Do they have any idea what comes out of their mouths these days? There is nothing good or worth encouraging in parents who waited over a year to even pretend to get help for their molester son and who didn't do a thing for their daughters until maybe the state forced them into counseling after the Oprah tip off. No inspiration present! Shut up!

:disgust:

I don't think UP will pick up the Duggars. Too controversial. Seventh Heaven was not a reality show, so it's easier for viewers to separate the actors from the characters they played. The Cosby Show is in an odd position-- it's about a fictional family named Huxtable, but the show carries Bill Cosby's name, and for years the public perceived the character he played on the show as being very similar to the real-life Bill Cosby. Now we know he really was acting.

Of course, the Duggars were also acting. But they weren't supposed to be acting; their show was supposed to be "real." Since Joseph is going to Crown College, we might see him make a cameo appearance on the Bateseseses show. But he never seemed to like being on TV, so I doubt he'll do anything more than that unless he courts one of the Bates girls. (Would Gil and Kelly allow that?)

I expect the Duggars will turn up somewhere, though. Maybe on one of the religious channels. The new show might be more of a "ministry" a la Jim and Tammy Bakker's PTL Club, with Jim Bob begging for donations while Michelle provides the entertainment. But she is no Tammy Faye.

All of the kids but Josh can probably still get some kind of sponsorship for something. Or someone can cash in and do the tell-all.

If all else fails, they can start auctioning their stuff off on ebay. Betcha there are leghumpers out there that'll buy their stuff.

One of the girls could start a crafty/diy blog and have enough views to get the top sponsorship. There are several bloggers I know that make 100k+ but you've got to have a huge following and they have that built in.

One of the girls could start a crafty/diy blog and have enough views to get the top sponsorship. There are several bloggers I know that make 100k+ but you've got to have a huge following and they have that built in.

Besides making Happy B-day Jesus banners and adding fabric to dresses to make them modest, what crafty skills do they have?

Here my thoughts on this new development

6) I think after little seawald is born we are going to hear about Ben attending a 4 year school to get a degree in theology. He already been testing the ground in that field with those videos and they seem to be fairly successful so I do see this being the path the Seawald family is going to go down.

With what money will he attend a 4 year college? His family's not rich, and JB has gotta conserve his cash big-time. These clueless kids are in serious money problems if Ben is just a student F/T.

(Aside: the irony, of course is JESSA is the one sorely in need of schooling)

Would be interesting to know how much the Duggars make with such a speaking engagement at an IBLP/ATI event. :think:

It's not like the average quiverfull fundie family has much money left to give to them.

They would probably make way more if they could still make appearances at fundie-lite/conservative evangelical events.

With what money will he attend a 4 year college? His family's not rich, and JB has gotta conserve his cash big-time. These clueless kids are in serious money problems if Ben is just a student F/T.

Don't know how it is in AR, but in our state if you graduate from a CC, you can go on to a state school with full transfer credit and complete your BA in two years F/T. If there's that sort of deal in AR, Ben could complete in two years provided he go to a state college though he obviously couldn't study theology there. I am thinking he will probably end up at some unaccredited Bible college rather than pick up from his Associates which IMHO he should as he can always do the four year then go on to the Bible/Christian college afterward for ministry study. Many pastors are not full time and have a day job so he might want to get the four year degree for the day job and the ministry study for his ministry stuff.

And adding to irony, Jessa was the one who "did school" with her younger siblings. Blind leading the blind.

I agree. It's been my belief since the scandal broke that TLC has known about the molestation since the first special. The post-Oprah police/DHS investigation happened around the time that special was filmed--TLC must have been aware of it, and I think Jim Bob and Michelle truly believed that they handled everything well and so were upfront with TLC at the time. Other than ratings/money, I think that's a big reason TLC took so long to cancel--they knew Jim Bob could fuck them over.

Jim Bob said he felt no need to discuss "the issue" further because, as far as they were concerned, it was done and behind them as of '03. I seriously doubt they disclosed or discussed anything with TLC.

TLC may well have heard the rumors. But Josh was never charged with any crime (even Oprah would have had no idea whether the contents of the email she received were true or total BS), and the 2006 CPS stuff would been unavailable to TLC. So unless they launched their own investigation based upon rumors, TLC was technically in the dark. And I doubt they would have shared anything they did learn with Jim Bob if they decided to "see no evil, hear no evil".

I don't believe Jim Bob is in a position to "fuck TLC over". In fact, I think TLC is in a better position to make things worse for the Duggars if they opted to sue over a TV show they aren't entitled to have. TLC knows a lot of other unpleasant shit about the Duggars and confidentiality cuts both ways.

I think the delay was for a few reasons. First, a PR decision. Wait to announce any decision so the TLC brand was as minimally associated as reasonably possible with the words "Josh molested his sisters" as all hell was breaking loose in the media. Best to stay quiet as there was no need to insert themselves actively at the time. Better to cancel the show a couple months later in the middle of the summer when the dust has settled a little and fewer people are paying attention. They were walking a tight rope with the Duggar fandom as well. A fandom they would like to try to keep if possible for other potential shows.

Secondly, they very well may have considered working with other family members for specials or another type of show. I don't think that will happen, mostly because the daughters have boring lives and they probably won't be willing to compromise with TLC to make things more interesting.

Finally, I am sure money was owed to various parties because work had started on the next season. They may have wanted to tie up those loose ends first.

Jim Bob really doesn't have as much power as he likes to think. And it looks like he thought better of suing the police chief after he slandered her on national TV. I'm sure his attorneys laid out what would happen if he dared try.

This is excellent news - it will be so much easier for all of them to break free once out of the spotlight. And hopefully the two numpties won't go back to using a plumbing line on the smallest after all those years of comparative leniency.

Good luck to them all, I hope their lives can really start now the fishbowl is gone and the ocean is theirs.

I am in the camp that the Duggars are on their road to fading away from the mainstream consciousness. They now do not have a reality show. That means no more magazine covers or Today Show baby announcements. All of that was tied to TLC. The Duggars will likely stay bigwigs in ATI or the fundy world but not mainstream Christianity events. I don't see many more speaking opportunities like at the Christian music festival coming their way. Mainstream Christians have more in common with atheists than with the Duggars. Hard work, education, woman having value and being appalled at child molestation are common beliefs in mainstream America, making it hard to sell the opposing Duggar view outside to anyone who doesn't live by Gothard's rules. The Duggars are no longer marketable because the smokescreen of just being a harmless, goofy large family is gone. Too much is known about their lifestyle. People outside the Duggar viewpoint cannot relate to them at all. They can't have another tv show because they will never be able to promote it. Every interview will bring up questions about the molestation, Gothard or their bizarre way of living.

Using Jill and Jessa is wrong. They've already minimized the situation significantly and are preaching this bullshit "mommy and daddy did the right thing and we forgive josh." Thats the wrong message for TLC to send with this special. The message needs to be: REPORT AND SEEK REAL HELP. End of story.

There either going to give the standard Duggar response, or they're going to have to admit they lied. Neither is going to go over well. The only way lying would be viewed as acceptable is if they throw their parents under the bus and say they were forced to do it.

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again, the girls NEED counseling, but it should never ever in a million years be on TV. And no one should have a show revolving around it. Those girls need confidentially, especially Jinger and Joy who suffered the most.

socalrules, from your keyboard to the universe's ears.

Good luck to the little lost girls. I hope those of their sister-moms who escape can be their way out.

There either going to give the standard Duggar response, or they're going to have to admit they lied. Neither is going to go over well. The only way lying would be viewed as acceptable is if they throw their parents under the bus and say they were forced to do it.

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again, the girls NEED counseling, but it should never ever in a million years be on TV. And no one should have a show revolving around it. Those girls need confidentially, especially Jinger and Joy who suffered the most.

I agree completely about the counseling. All the victims AND Josh should have been offered real professional help when this was all happening. The fact that their parents failed to do even this much just shows how inadequate they are as parents and human beings.

I do want to caution that we tread lightly while discussing which victims suffered most though. Yes, the transcripts indicate that some victims were subjected to more than others or may have been more aware than others. . . but we really don't know the full truth because we weren't present during the assaults and we can't know whether some girls concealed certain aspects for some reason (either a misplaced sense of shame or because they were told to.)

Being a successful blogger--enough to support a family--requires TALENT and DISCIPLINE. Neither is a Duggar strong suit.

It's about fucking time.

Personally I think they'll have Josh direct home video updates and start posting them regularly in the hopes someone will want to pay them for it.

God I hope some of the crew starts speaking out...

That would be very inresting indeed!

Being a successful blogger--enough to support a family--requires TALENT and DISCIPLINE. Neither is a Duggar strong suit.

Ha! True story!

Can you imagine Jill or Jessa attempting to write blog posts about anything non-baby related?

"So, like, you totally take this piece of fabric and then, like, sew it like this here. Because Jesus."

Unless you count blanket training as discipline.

Also, remember, Jana is a concert pianist!

I realize I'm stating the obvious here, but there is more abuse in this family than what Josh did.

The children's education was sub-par.

The parents used their children for attention and gain. Everyone in the family is having to reap the consequences of J and M's decision to put their lives on display.

Children being a "blessing" is more than just procreating.

The psyche of each family member is likely so screwed up at this point, TRUE professional help should (but won't) be given to each one.

The older girls are enslaved. They have no choice. Hmmm...isn't slavery/entrapment/holding one hostage against the law? The girls aren't just sister-moms. They are actually foster moms.

I think the idea (supposedly) of using a TV show to air their platform turned Boob and Dairy Queen into greedy, self-centered people. If their platform was to show the world what a great Christian family they are, why did we only hear about morals and standards? Why did we never hear any of the children talk about how they personally decided to follow Christ? We actually don't have that testimony from either of the parents. Vaguely, Michelle implies that Jim Bob influenced her to change her life.

As a Christian, I am greatly disturbed that the Duggars seem to adhere ONE narcissistic, perverted man's teachings, that their contact with the world is very guarded, that the children can't be trusted (by the parents) to be alone or make their own decisions, and that ideals are the focus of their adoration rather than God Himself. I hate that they try to portray evangelical Christianity when, in fact, they do NOT accurately represent that realm of faith.

:snooty:

I imagine the filming of their show plus the time spent planning the seasons took up a great deal of their time. A rough estimate would be 6 months a year for planning and filming but likely more than that. (their last season lasted three months!) Now that they will no longer be involved in planning and filming, what will they do to fill their time? There are only so many speaking engagements available.

Archived