IGNORED

"19 Kids" Cancelled

Kira

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I didn't tell them not to do the special. I expressed my concern over the use of Jill and Jessa Duggar. What they said in their FOX interview really struck a chord with me as I have been in a similar abuse situation as them, only it wasn't my brother who molested me while I was sleeping. IF they put out a statement that they won't be on there to defend Josh, then I am completely on board with them giving interviews.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't tell them not to do the special. I expressed my concern over the use of Jill and Jessa Duggar. What they said in their FOX interview really struck a chord with me as I have been in a similar abuse situation as them, only it wasn't my brother who molested me while I was sleeping. IF they put out a statement that they won't be on there to defend Josh, then I am completely on board with them giving interviews.

And in case anymore of you want to make assumptions and jump down my throat about it here is a snippet of what I wrote:

"I wanted to express my concern to you over your recent partnership with TLC. First off, I think it's fantastic that TLC is giving you such a large platform to get this very important message out to the public. I think this is a topic that needs attention and partnering with TLC will give you a national audience. Having said that, I feel deeply concerned about using Jill and Jessa Duggar as participants in the interviews."

Trust me on this - the other parts of the website are way better for snark lately. Seriously, go check out a thread on Jill Rodrigues and her amazing grifting for Jesus ways!

You took the words right out of my head.

"We'll always have Jill Rodrigues and her Joyful Noyes!"

Finally, TLC! I'm happy that they have RAINN and D2L included in this upcoming special, but I hope they don't skirt the problems with how Jill and Jessa have minimized the abuse. However, the Duggars are excellent at dodging bullets, so I hope this isn't going to be mostly pre-recorded crap with the girls about how it was no big deal and then small input from the experts. This should be interesting either way. I wonder how TLC's and the Duggar's fan base would take it though if they threw their precious family under the bus or discredited them.

As far as questions of why TLC took so long, my guess is tying up legal loose ends, etc. plus you can bet that JB pulled out all the stops including bringing in his own lawyers to keep the show going in some way. And TLC would want to make it all bulletproof legally to prevent JB from going the lawsuit route with them. Another advantage is that nearly two months have passed so it's not at the forefront of people's minds anymore.

I don't think TLC wants any more to do with the family so I have my doubts about including Jill and Jessa in any documentary about abuse. If the network wants to treat it seriously, then the Kelly interviews should show now not to approach it.

JB will attempt to make himself relevant in some way. How well he will fare remains to be seen. No doubt he has saved and invested so the family is OK financially for now but long term is another story. He's still got 16 kids at home and the 3 married kids prospects are all up to question now. Plus there's grandchildren in the mix. JB doesn't have the money to support them all indefinitely.

One thing for sure. The perks are over and it's going to be a big adjustment not go off on trips and get other material benefits of being on the show. They are all stuck at the TTH or it's environs with the exception of Jill and Derick. Perhaps they will be better off being away from it because I imagine the tensions are off the charts.

Funny thing, how it's back to reality after being on a so-called reality show.

Boob and J'Chelle will be fine financially. They have paid-off houses and cars and still enough leghumpers left to be able to make paid appearances at smaller fundie/fundie-lite events.

Their children however will be screwed if they continue to live the cult lifestyle with no education or real jobs but eleventy children.

I just hope with this new reality, the Duggars will change their ideology a bit and permit all of their kids to get a decent education. And hopefully, the kids will realize that having as many babies as possible isn't such a great idea if you don't get a big paycheck and gifts for each pregnancy to cover all the costs.

By now, the children are used to a certain standart of living, the younger don't even know what life was like before the TLC money. It will be interesting to see how they adapt and if they are willing to live a life in poverty in order to fulfill Gothards cult rules.

The fact that there are actual reputable organisations involved gives me hope that it will be less of a minimising, Josh defending shit show than the Megyn Kelly interview. I hope that Jessa and Jill are choosing to do this for themselves instead of forced into it by parental pressure or because they need the money now theres no show. Its sad that they have minimised their own abuse, and I hope they will actually get some real therapy from this, as well as learn that what happened was wrong, their parents handled this badly, and that this does not happen in the majority of families.

TLC hasn't ruled out a spinoff. At the very least, they will do 'specials' and then probably a short seriers in a year or two to test the waters with the public - a la Kate Plus 8. The Duggars aren't going anywhere.

I disagree. I think the Duggars, all of them, are permanently gone - at least from TLC. Way too toxic and the constant threat of more shit coming out in the news has probably got their risk management folks very nervous. I wouldn't read into the timing (almost 2 months after the story broke) because I think quietly cutting ties during the dog days of summer makes sense for TLC.

Which is not to say the Duggars won't try other forums. But TLC? Once "the girls" do their upcoming piece, that's it.

I'm sorry I don't see when this will air. . . does anyone know or is it unknown at this point?

they just say that it will likely air later this summer.

I just read the Duggar's and TCL's statement. I hope this "special" isn't another Duggar based pile of BS with a few blurbs from some legitimate organizations. Also, I wonder if Chickadee (Anna) from Honey Boo Boo will be involved with it. She is an ex TLC personality.

I was right to wait to read them because I just want to GRRRRRR right now.

I agree that TLC is currently doing major damage control, but I also think they'll be doing even more damage control if they don't do this right. Sexual abuse is not kept completely hush-hush like it once was and minimizing it is no longer acceptable- as we all knew anyway, but have seen with the greater public reaction to the Duggar scandal (not including the leghumpers). Organizations like this are what we need to bring more light to the subject.

I think there's a possibility they might spin the Duggar girls as the "after you've forgiven, if that's something you choose to do" angle, which is valid as some women do choose to take that route. I would like to see an equally supported POV that you don't have to if you don't want to, though.

Regardless, who knows what will come out of this. Hopefully TLC brings its A-game to this because a good special could really have a significant impact.

Because we will not have a "series finale" of the Duggar shit show for me to recap I will commit to recapping the "special" should it ever come to fruition. I can only hope that TLC takes this opportunity to throw the Duggars completely under the bus, back it up, and run over them again. Let the girl's minimize and toe the party line, then let the experts explain why they would do such a stupid thing and how they are brainwashed having been denied appropriate care and subjected to "loving" their abuser.

Free Jinger isnt going anywhere. We are greater than the Duggars. We have a very long history of following the rise and fall of some of the internet's most prolific fundies. The Duggars may have started us, but they do not define us. So long as people are stifled by fundamentalist rhetoric we will be here to call them out.

Let this open the eyes of all of our readers who havent left the Duggar forum. The Duggars are not the only cultist fundies out there spewing their crap. There are others, and some are worse. Join us in the rest of the board.

I look forward to the next "public" speech Boob and J'chelle make and its inevitable posting on youtube.

Damn right. I mostly snark on the Maxwells and the Shupes, and only occasionally check out the Quiver Full of Duggars. They aren't going to go away either- the married ones still have their Instagrams. And, once you've started on the 'celebrity' path, there is no way of leaving it. The Duggars won't be forgotten about- they won't want to be for a start.

I disagree. I think the Duggars, all of them, are permanently gone - at least from TLC. Way too toxic and the constant threat of more shit coming out in the news has probably got their risk management folks very nervous. I wouldn't read into the timing (almost 2 months after the story broke) because I think quietly cutting ties during the dog days of summer makes sense for TLC.

Which is not to say the Duggars won't try other forums. But TLC? Once "the girls" do their upcoming piece, that's it.

Agree that as far as TLC is concerned, the Duggars are done and were done as soon as the new of Josh's molestations came out. I have my doubts about the girls being involved in the abuse documentary but let's see. And with the probability that there's other stuff out there I can't see any other network wanting to take the chance with them. The Duggars will try and might succeed with some small time stuff but the days of trips, perks, and good money are over.

This should have happened a long time ago.

JB & M's statement makes me sick. No one should be encouraged by these two idiots. They covered up and minimized the abuse of their children! Apparently they want more shitty parents like them.

Agree that as far as TLC is concerned, the Duggars are done and were done as soon as the new of Josh's molestations came out. I have my doubts about the girls being involved in the abuse documentary but let's see. And with the probability that there's other stuff out there I can't see any other network wanting to take the chance with them. The Duggars will try and might succeed with some small time stuff but the days of trips, perks, and good money are over.

I've got a gut feeling they'll be picked up by the UP Network. They scooped up the Bateseses. I would imagine the Duggars, sans Smuggar and limited JB and DQ, would fly on there. If nothing else, I could see them doing the Brides and their Beaus or whatever stupidity it was rumored TLC was talking about. I would assume they might do a Bates/Duggar visit or something to test the waters and proceed based on the reception.

And in case anymore of you want to make assumptions and jump down my throat about it here is a snippet of what I wrote:

"I wanted to express my concern to you over your recent partnership with TLC. First off, I think it's fantastic that TLC is giving you such a large platform to get this very important message out to the public. I think this is a topic that needs attention and partnering with TLC will give you a national audience. Having said that, I feel deeply concerned about using Jill and Jessa Duggar as participants in the interviews."

Considering you didn't originally state what you had written I don't think you can blame Palimpsest for responding that way. And she has an excellent point - anyone who contacts these groups about the documentary needs to make sure the emphasis is placed on supporting the groups involvement and encouraging them to not allow TLC or the Duggars to half-ass anything.

(And yes, I do see that you included praise for their agreeing to be involved and encouraged them to use this as a chance to educate a wider audience; my point remains though because you originally mentioned nothing about the actual content of your message to them)

I think that TLC is done with the Duggars, but that JB will find another way to stay in the spotlight, even if it's through Youtube and social media making videos go viral. I also think that it's likely that the network that picked up the Bates show Up, will pick up the Duggars as well.

In my opinion, the cancellation is long overdue, and it should have happened the moment the molestation scandal broke. They immediately cancelled Honey Boo Boo when the news of the mother dating the person who molested one of the older girls, so at least I hope they include that victim on the special, since she's an ex TLC star.

Well, now. The bolded is a whole lot clearer than what you first wrote, isn't it? :) You object to TLC using Jill and Jessa in the educational special. Fair enough. D2L may still want to take part even so. I'd be willing to bet people there watched the Megyn Kelly interview and are raring at the bit to comment on J & J's performances.

I still think your email would have been better sent to TLC.

My hope is that the girls are interviewed separately from RAINN and D2L. It will be much easier for the RAINN And D2L reps to tear into their statements and explain how it should have been handled if Jill isn't sobbing in denial and Jessa isn't seething with self important anger in the same room.

I've got a gut feeling they'll be picked up by the UP Network. They scooped up the Bateseses. I would imagine the Duggars, sans Smuggar and limited JB and DQ, would fly on there. If nothing else, I could see them doing the Brides and their Beaus or whatever stupidity it was rumored TLC was talking about. I would assume they might do a Bates/Duggar visit or something to test the waters and proceed based on the reception.

The Bates family did not have an adult son admit to sexually abusing his younger sisters before they got picked up by the UP Network. The Duggars do. If the UP Network has anyone with half a brain on their staff, they will stay far away from this family.

Did Tlc do anything educational about sexual abuse when they cancelled honey boo boo or (whatever that godawful show,was called) because the mother was dating a child molester who had molested one of her daughters?

I hope that TLC will take into consideration how their three their most popular reality shows about families has ended in scandal and disgrace. I think it is unethical to film a child's life day in and day out for the entertainment of others. The youngest Duggar children have never known life without a camera in their face and I know that that's got to be damaging to them.

Well, now. The bolded is a whole lot clearer than what you first wrote, isn't it? :) You object to TLC using Jill and Jessa in the educational special. Fair enough. D2L may still want to take part even so. I'd be willing to bet people there watched the Megyn Kelly interview and are raring at the bit to comment on J & J's performances.

My hope is that the girls are interviewed separately from RAINN and D2L. It will be much easier for the RAINN And D2L reps to tear into their statements and explain how it should have been handled if Jill isn't sobbing in denial and Jessa isn't seething with self important anger in the same room.

Contacting TLC would be a completely wasted effort. It took them this long to cancel the show. They don't listen.

And I never once said I objected to the special, even in my original comment. I don't need to be talked to like a child. Thanks.

I hope that TLC will take into consideration how their three their most popular reality shows about families has ended in scandal and disgrace. I think it is unethical to film a child's life day in and day out for the entertainment of others. The youngest Duggar children have never known life without a camera in their face and I know that that's got to be damaging to them.

I think the special is about TLC repairing its reputation, rather than giving the Duggars more air time. But Boob will try to milk the last dime from TLC that he can, and try to put the best shine on how they dealt with this in the family. I don't think it will help TLC or the Duggars to have this show.

I am doubtful UP Network would touch the Duggars with a ten foot pole. Child molester in the family is toxic to their "up" style.

The Duggars will have to move to full time ministry grifting and real estate to support themselves now. Daddy can find a job in the family business for Smuggs.

Finally read through all the posts. I'm glad that this awful show is finally off the air. In my opinion, it never should have aired, because it mainstreams an extremist ideology. Like other posters, I think that the Duggars will still try to be in the spotlight somehow, but I think they will probably have to stick with other Gothardites and IFBers. I can't see a mainstream network giving them the time of day anymore. UP already has the Bates family, which had many of the things people like about the Duggars but without the scandal (not saying that the Bateses are any "better" in terms of beliefs, just that they don't have a molestation scandal lingering over them), so it would be crazy to court unnecessary problems by hiring the Duggars. My non-religious mom likes to watch UP because it has wholesome movies with happy endings. If they started showing the Duggars, I think she'd stop watching UP altogether.

Archived