IGNORED

Josiah Duggar - Part 3 Now with lost heart pieces

happy atheist

Is it just me or do the Duggars seem to be squirting out announcements based on whatever thread du jour we have going on?

Remember all the angst over Anna popping? Finally they threw up a pic proving she was still alive. All the discussion about where Marjorie is?? Finally they update us. I am sure there is more....

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought I read from former cult members that in Got-hard land the male is never, EVER to be the one to call off the "courtship". Only the female involved can dump the male. Can someone confirm or deny this please? It doesn't really matter either way, and we don't need or deserve every teeny detail as this is a private matter (er, of sorts since it was announced via a People article) but it would be interesting to know, or at least have more info to speculate on who dumped whom.

Either way I'm glad they broke up because 17 and 19 (almost 19), FUCK THAT. I guess Jimboob wanted to see a repeat of him and OfJimboob but the big difference would have been that Josiah and Marge wouldn't have had the luxury of using birth control for four years before their first blessing came along. They could have potentially made three or four more Duggars than Duggar family 1.0! AHHH!

Marge, go to college, earn a degree, get a job, enjoy life.

Josiah, go to college, earn a degree, get a job, enjoy life.

Maybe in a couple of years you two can pick things up again where you left off or maybe you'll both grow as people and meet others and discover if you had gotten married as teens it would have been a Huge Mistake. Thankfully you've been spared...for now :?

Not an ex-Gothardite by any means, but this is what happened when the Zach Bates/Sarah Reith courtship ended. Kelly posted on the blog that Sarah decided to end things. (Or was it an engagement breakoff??)

I thought I read from former cult members that in Got-hard land the male is never, EVER to be the one to call off the "courtship". Only the female involved can dump the male. Can someone confirm or deny this please? It doesn't really matter either way, and we don't need or deserve every teeny detail as this is a private matter (er, of sorts since it was announced via a People article) but it would be interesting to know, or at least have more info to speculate on who dumped whom.

Either way I'm glad they broke up because 17 and 19 (almost 19), FUCK THAT. I guess Jimboob wanted to see a repeat of him and OfJimboob but the big difference would have been that Josiah and Marge wouldn't have had the luxury of using birth control for four years before their first blessing came along. They could have potentially made three or four more Duggars than Duggar family 1.0! AHHH!

Marge, go to college, earn a degree, get a job, enjoy life.

Josiah, go to college, earn a degree, get a job, enjoy life.

Maybe in a couple of years you two can pick things up again where you left off or maybe you'll both grow as people and meet others and discover if you had gotten married as teens it would have been a Huge Mistake. Thankfully you've been spared...for now :?

I've heard that same claim. I don't know how valid it is. I may have heard it from Ruth.

So no weddings in the near future, mainly because they don't need fodder for the TV show. I wonder if Josiah ever felt like he was getting pressured to walk down the aisle so that the TV show would have a ratings boost? How weird would that be?

Any predictions on who will be the next Duggar to get engaged? Any predictions on how long until the next engagement/wedding? I feel like at this point everything is up in the air as to how the family will make money both as a group and as individuals so I don't see any romances blossoming for 6 months or more. However someone could surprise us-- Joseph might meet someone at college. JD might have someone on the side that he is secretly courting. Jinger might be so desperate to leave home right now that she actively pursues a relationship. There are so many wild cards. And let us not rule out JB forcing a courtship onto someone for his own special reason.

It was a thing in Regency England. I've heard the rumour that Gothardites follow this rule as well, but have never seen anyone in the know actually come out and say they do. I somehow can't imagine they actually follow this rule, just because of the implications. What happens if you start courting a girl and then you find out she has no problem with dancing or drinking wine? Or she changes her mind about something crucial in the middle of the courtship, like birth control or wifely submission or whatever - but still insists the marriage go forward? I can't see them still saying, "Nope, only the girl can break it off!"

I've also heard it needs to be the girl who breaks the courtship. I guess God only speaks to the hearts of females in such matters. Maybe the guys' peckers get in the way of His transmission.

It's likely Marge and/or her parents did call it off, but I think Jim Bob is still a possibility. He makes his own rules. And it's bad enough that he has one grown son with 5 dependents and no job; last thing he probably wants is another.

But didn't the Duggars say that the male should be able to provide for his future wife prior to the start of the courtship? I believe the older girls wrote this in their relationship book. Courtships are supposed to last less than 1 year to prevent sin, so that rule about the male being gainfully employed makes sense. Josh had a car lot when courting Anna, but most recently, it seems like the Duggars are breaking their own rules, see Jessa and Ben. (Well, at least Ben WAS working a State Farm before he quit and moved in with the Duggars) Why did JB and M allow Josiah to court a 17 year old, especially when Josiah has no job? Did they think that 19K&C was a true "job" that would support a growing family forever? The only male that's eligible to court (as per their "rules") is John David.

I just don't believe they would allow a courtship purely for ratings, b/c the way they talk about courtship is *so serious* and they don't believe in dating for fun.

It was a thing in Regency England. I've heard the rumour that Gothardites follow this rule as well, but have never seen anyone in the know actually come out and say they do. I somehow can't imagine they actually follow this rule, just because of the implications. What happens if you start courting a girl and then you find out she has no problem with dancing or drinking wine? Or she changes her mind about something crucial in the middle of the courtship, like birth control or wifely submission or whatever - but still insists the marriage go forward? I can't see them still saying, "Nope, only the girl can break it off!"

I'm sure there's a loophole for that rule built in. No one wants to marry a worldly Jezebel! :lol:

But didn't the Duggars say that the male should be able to provide for his future wife prior to the start of the courtship? I believe the older girls wrote this in their relationship book. Courtships are supposed to last less than 1 year to prevent sin, so that rule about the male being gainfully employed makes sense. Josh had a car lot when courting Anna, but most recently, it seems like the Duggars are breaking their own rules, see Jessa and Ben. (Well, at least Ben WAS working a State Farm before he quit and moved in with the Duggars) Why did JB and M allow Josiah to court a 17 year old, especially when Josiah has no job? Did they think that 19K&C was a true "job" that would support a growing family forever? The only male that's eligible to court (as per their "rules") is John David.

I just don't believe they would allow a courtship purely for ratings, b/c the way they talk about courtship is *so serious* and they don't believe in dating for fun.

With the way JimBoob looks upon dollar signs with lust, I'm sure acting like they took courtships seriously was just that -- acting. They might actually believe they are serious but I would absolutely bet they wanted to do it for money. Josiah was supposed to be the next big wedding, which brings in viewers. Saying they do courtships and not dating also "ups" their credibility with Christian viewers, I guess.

Good to hear that they arent getting engaged. Good for marjorie so she can go her own way, wearing pants and oing her secular fundie lite stuff. ans maybe josiah is getting some more education etc.

Why did JB and M allow Josiah to court a 17 year old, especially when Josiah has no job? Did they think that 19K&C was a true "job" that would support a growing family forever? The only male that's eligible to court (as per their "rules") is John David.

Yes, I think that's exactly what they thought. Not long before the molestation story broke, Jim Bob was quite smug about the petitions to cancel the show over their stance on gay and trans people. Something like, we've got the highest rated show on TLC, we're not going anywhere.

John David should be the only son thinking about marriage. And I'll bet he does find a gal and settle down now that his life isn't going to become a reality show story line.

So does Josiah get to keep his Instagram account still? Or will they ban him from the internet again?

I'm happy for her. She still gets to wear pants when she wants to without the guilt trip. I wonder if the Duggars told her: "Pants or Josiah." And she picked pants. :lol:

But in all seriousness, I hope this was a decision that was mutual and that there is no heartbreak. I can't imagine my first break-up being in People magazine.

So no weddings in the near future, mainly because they don't need fodder for the TV show. I wonder if Josiah ever felt like he was getting pressured to walk down the aisle so that the TV show would have a ratings boost? How weird would that be?

Any predictions on who will be the next Duggar to get engaged? Any predictions on how long until the next engagement/wedding? I feel like at this point everything is up in the air as to how the family will make money both as a group and as individuals so I don't see any romances blossoming for 6 months or more. However someone could surprise us-- Joseph might meet someone at college. JD might have someone on the side that he is secretly courting. Jinger might be so desperate to leave home right now that she actively pursues a relationship. There are so many wild cards. And let us not rule out JB forcing a courtship onto someone for his own special reason.

Hopefully Jana, if that's what she wants. But then I fear all the work would end up on Jinger and Joy:( Is there any good outcome here?

Talk about hypocritical. Spouting all this muck to the world about keeping a pure heart, keeping your heart in one piece... if anything is going to rip your heart in 1000 pieces it is she shame and embarrassment of having your very first relationship break up covered all over INTERNATIONAL MEDIA... never in a million years would I put my teenage kids under that sort of pressure.

I can't help but think Majorie just couldn't swallow the molestation scandal. She seems pretty savvy, and I suspect she probably asked too many questions, and just couldn't keep sweet about it like Anna.

The Duggar name is toxic, and I really feel Marge would have stayed if the TLC show was still there for her to become a reality star. She wanted to be on the TLC show as a new Duggar bride more than she wanted to be Mrs. Josiah Duggar.

In some ways, yeah.. glad for Josiah so he didn't marry someone who didn't love him for who he is.

Is it just me or do the Duggars seem to be squirting out announcements based on whatever thread du jour we have going on?

Remember all the angst over Anna popping? Finally they threw up a pic proving she was still alive. All the discussion about where Marjorie is?? Finally they update us. I am sure there is more....

I think you're right. It really does seem that way. Hell, it would not shock me if they read here or are non posting members.

I think you're right. It really does seem that way. Hell, it would not shock me if they read here or are non posting members.

Even if they don't actually read here, we know the tabloids do (and write articles based on us), and we can be pretty certain the Duggars read the tabloids. So I'm not surprised at all that their announcements tend to fall in line with what we are discussing.

I don't think we know nearly enough about Marjorie to say with such certainty that she was only with Josiah because she wanted to be famous. We know next to nothing about her and have absolutely no idea why she got into the courtship and why she got out of it.

I also don't think the Duggars are putting out these announcements because of anything being discussed here. First of all, this is all stuff they were going to have to address eventually anyway, whether we're talking about it or not. Secondly, The Duggars don't care what Free Jinger thinks about them, what Free Jinger is wondering, or what Free Jinger wants them to do. Our opinion of them doesn't matter. They know it's bad, always has been, always will be. If they're responding to anyone it's their fans and more casual followers who just so happen to be wondering about the same things we are.

I don't think we know nearly enough about Marjorie to say with such certainty that she was only with Josiah because she wanted to be famous. We know next to nothing about her and have absolutely no idea why she got into the courtship and why she got out of it.

THIS. :worship:

It's fun to speculate, but unfortunately we will never know because only the people at the time involved know what is going on; also there are (at least) two sides to every story, so if we ever do hear what happened, how do we know it's true? The Duggars aren't strangers to telling lies.

However it's safe to say that Majorie has dodged a bullet and hopefully she can continue on a more suitable path for a 17 year old.

In terms of Siah, that really sucks - I hope Jana & JD are being helpful older siblings to get him through this time. No comfort would ever come out of Mullet and / or JB.

The Duggar name is toxic, and I really feel Marge would have stayed if the TLC show was still there for her to become a reality star. She wanted to be on the TLC show as a new Duggar bride more than she wanted to be Mrs. Josiah Duggar.

In some ways, yeah.. glad for Josiah so he didn't marry someone who didn't love him for who he is.

Reading this makes me think of Ben. For whatever reason I think he was seriously attracted to the fame he got with being on the show. It's fizzling out fast, I wonder what will happen when it finally hits him that he's pretty much a nobody with possible a zillion kids to support.

I also don't think the Duggars are putting out these announcements because of anything being discussed here. First of all, this is all stuff they were going to have to address eventually anyway, whether we're talking about it or not. Secondly, The Duggars don't care what Free Jinger thinks about them, what Free Jinger is wondering, or what Free Jinger wants them to do. Our opinion of them doesn't matter. They know it's bad, always has been, always will be. If they're responding to anyone it's their fans and more casual followers who just so happen to be wondering about the same things we are.

Congrats for throwing a wet blanket over a fun discussion.... :roll:

Reading this makes me think of Ben. For whatever reason I think he was seriously attracted to the fame he got with being on the show. It's fizzling out fast, I wonder what will happen when it finally hits him that he's pretty much a nobody with possible a zillion kids to support.

On the flip side, at least Ben has worked before and could do it again if need be. At least Michael Seewald believed in Employment and a bit of study.

God damn it Bin and Jessa, move closer to Bin's parents already!!!!

Yes, I think that's exactly what they thought. Not long before the molestation story broke, Jim Bob was quite smug about the petitions to cancel the show over their stance on gay and trans people. Something like, we've got the highest rated show on TLC, we're not going anywhere.

John David should be the only son thinking about marriage. And I'll bet he does find a gal and settle down now that his life isn't going to become a reality show story line.

JB probably did think that the show would go on forever, or at least long enough to support numerous expensive weddings and courtships. Prior to Joshgate, interest in the family was at an all-time high due to the weddings and courtships, and he must have thought that this proved that the family was untouchable. However, I think that there is an audience that enjoys watching other people get married, whether it's the Kardashians, the Duggars, or Kermit and Ms. Piggy. The actual individuals don't matter, because it's all about pretty dresses and sparkly cakes. JB mistook this generic interest in weddings and relationships for interest in the Duggars qua Duggars.

As for Josiah and Marjorie's breakup, I think this is the best Duggar-related news I've heard all year. Two teenagers don't need to get married, especially if they plan to have "as many children as god will give us" with no source of income in sight. I don't pretend to know what Marjorie's motive was in getting involved in a courtship with Josiah or in breaking it off, but the fewer individuals and families that get roped into Duggarland, the better.

Hopefully Josiah can earn a college certificate or university degree. A few years back he said he was interested in accounting, so perhaps...

Margarie seems outgoing and upbeat. No idea what she'd like to study, or if she wants a career, but hope that's open to her if she wants it. Getting a job, meeting people, learning to be independent...

They both were incredibly young to be planning for a marriage. Hope they have several "courtships ~ boy/girlfriends in the next few years.

No one's knows anything, correct...not even you. Your comment does the exact same thing that you seem to be commenting against, assuming.

Unless you're a Duggar, you have no idea what they think.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived