IGNORED

Josiah Duggar - Part 3 Now with lost heart pieces

happy atheist

I read the announcement. How many times did they try to get "the will of God" into that statement? ACK!

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now he just needs to blast some Pierce The Veil and complain about how love sucks, and we'll be good.

Oh, for the love of all things holy, not Pierce the Veil!! If I hear that name again, I'm going to lose it!! (Mother of a teenage girl. *sigh*)

Maybe Erin Bates Paine should visit and play the piano really angrily for Josiah.

Maybe Erin Bates Paine should visit and play the piano really angrily for Josiah.

I'm very glad they split because of all the logical reasons: age, lack of income/life skills/maturity, delay in popping out "blessings", and so on.

BUT, I really, really hope this has nothing to do with Josh's actions and/or JB and M's subsequent actions. I have no love for Duggars, but I'd be kind of devastated for the siblings if they paid the price for another person's actions, especially if it meant no love/intimacy (assuming they really achieve that with their spouses.)

Oh, for the love of all things holy, not Pierce the Veil!! If I hear that name again, I'm going to lose it!! (Mother of a teenage girl. *sigh*)

I almost got crushed at Warped tour so my teen daughter could see them. Hate open seating shows.

I am glad this courtship/arranged marriage ended. Neither had a real job and I feel they were both too young to be getting married. I hope Josiah can bounce back and Jim Boob and Michelle do not label him "damaged goods." Normal people tend to have an engagement or two before they get married. I had two before I married Mr. busdrivingmom and I turned out mostly fine.

Just popping back in to applaud whoever changed the title of this thread to include the bit about lost heart pieces. Well played! :clap:

? Of course I'm assuming, just like everyone else, and I never suggested otherwise. That's why I started both paragraphs with, "I don't think" and not, "The Almighty singsingsing, resident wet blanket, has decreed that all assumptions shall cease at once."

Your user title should be either "Resident Wet Blanket" or "Second in Line to the Fun Killer Throne."

That would amuse me to no end for all eternity. :D

I really don't think the Duggars are going to rethink their courtship rules like the Bates did. If anything, I think they'll double down like the Maxwells have done.

Kelly Bates mentioned that, after they aired Zach asking Sarah to court, Anna Duggar called them and suggested that they not publicize relationships until engagement. That's what Josh and Anna did. It's also essentially what Jill and Derick did - by the time it was announced, he already had the engagement ring bought. Jessa and Ben's relationship was leaked, otherwise they might have tried the same thing.

I think they saw the courtship as a ratings boost, but also realized they couldn't keep it under wraps for long considering the burst in popularity they were enjoying. Heck, a week before the announcement, someone came here saying that Jill and Derick were chaperoning a Duggar boy with a girl at Cracker Barrel.

Now that the show's gone and their son has been publicly humiliated needlessly, I think they'll try to keep things under wraps until engagement again.

I am pretty sure they know what type of person the potential courting partner is before they start courting. Their parents select mates from a very small pool of people and defraudful dancing queens will not make the cut.

Courting just used to be another word for dating--or rather dating is a modern word for courting. I don't get how the Gothard crew has managed to convince people that it is something different.

Remember Laura Ingalls Wilder? Almanzo Wilder "courted" her. That more or less meant that Almanzo could take Laura out on dates and Pa wasn't going to beat the crap out of him for it. If anyone read the books they will remember that Almanzo would pick up Laura in his horse and buggy and they would go for a drive ALONE. After dating for a while Almanzo gave her a ring (I think it was a pearl) and asked her to marry him. She said yes so they were then engaged. Doesn't sound much different then what goes on today.

I do know that in Victorian England it was a very serious thing for a man to break off an engagement. The jilted would be bride had the right to a settlement. I think men would feel they had to be absolutely sure before they asked a woman to marry them because cold feet might mean financial ruin.

I think it is ridiculous that Duggar courting means that the couple are engaged and they haven't ever been alone together. They should call it what it is: an arranged marriage.

I don't know if this will make sense, but in my orthodox reformed background, courting is completely different than dating, but nowhere near what the Duggars created. It seriously is "dating with a purpose", as they say; we were very clearly taught never to enter a relationship unless we were very sure we would marry this individual. In my world, the point isn't to get to know someone, like the Duggars say. The point is to already know them enough that you're willing to say those vows now, tomorrow, if you had to. Dating without commitment is considered something that slutty girls do (sorry to be so blunt!); nice girls become friends with enough surety to know they would like to enter a courtship because entering courtship = marriage. It's just more inherently serious than today's Tindr-fueled "I went on a date with Bob on Sunday, and then I went out with Max on Tuesday, and you know, I don't know which one I like more but it was fine because I got free dinner" situation or "we're dating regularly, but we don't really know where it's going" situation. While the theory is the same, the Duggars have turned courting into something it wasn't initially. It was originally supposed to be a very serious and committed form of dating, but there was none of this no touching, no being alone nonsense (like you said).

Didn't you hear? Kermit and Miss Piggy broke up!!

http://m.usmagazine.com/entertainment/n ... ell-201558

I'm glad, Kermit deserved better. Hopefully he'll be the next bachelor.

While I don't think I have ever watched the Bachelor, I would watch the crap out of Kermit the Bachelor! LOL I think this is hilarious promotion for the new Muppets tv show. I'm excited!

I just hope it was Piggy who ended it, imagine the damage she'd do if HE broke up with HER!!! :lol: :o

Makes me feel like something happened, because wouldn't the Duggars want it to look like everything was fine and yay we are still friends? LOVE to see someone from this family act and respond like the average teenager. :P

Maybe they are thinking about Josiah's future prospects and don't want all that photographic evidence that he HAS TOUCHED A GIRL on the internet! Plus, how would it look to whoever he courts next if his Instagram was still full of Marjorie? Gotta think about the future.

I do know that in Victorian England it was a very serious thing for a man to break off an engagement. The jilted would be bride had the right to a settlement. I think men would feel they had to be absolutely sure before they asked a woman to marry them because cold feet might mean financial ruin.

This is what engagement rings were for right? In case the man broke it off, the woman had the ring she could sell and support herself.

I'm curious too if he's allowed to stay on social media now that he's not courting anymore.

This is the first public courtship break-up for the Duggar family. I wonder if it will change their opinions on courtship at all the way Zach's breakup did for the Bateses.

A friend of mine who used to be very fundie and involved with Gothard/ATI (and actually she's still pretty fundie even if she no longer agrees with Gothard) recently posted this article about why courtship is flawed. It advocates for pretty much the opposite of courtship, saying the best way to guard your heart is to date multiple people.

I think it's definitely true that if things don't work out the courtship model actually does a lot more damage to someone's "heart" than traditional dating does.

This is how the LDS culture generally approaches dating. They advocate dating often, (fairly) early, and a lot of people. The caveat is that they advocate casual dating. Go on a picnic together. Go get ice cream together. Hang out at church functions together. And if, after a couple of dates, someone isn't interested, you really can still be friends and hang out in the same social circle because you really weren't serious at all. Sometimes I think their dating style (minus crazy fast marriages!) is better than secular dating, even.

This is how the LDS culture generally approaches dating. They advocate dating often, (fairly) early, and a lot of people. The caveat is that they advocate casual dating. Go on a picnic together. Go get ice cream together. Hang out at church functions together. And if, after a couple of dates, someone isn't interested, you really can still be friends and hang out in the same social circle because you really weren't serious at all. Sometimes I think their dating style (minus crazy fast marriages!) is better than secular dating, even.

Actually that's how secular people I know do dating. Except replace church functions with college parties.

Actually that's how secular people I know do dating. Except replace church functions with college parties.

Clearly, I have very limited experience dating. :embarrassed:

From what I've experienced and witnessed, dating is either hanging out with a friend when you "like" each other without saying anything for-freaking-ever and then you're basically committed by the time you go on a first date (experience) or hot and heavy right away (witnessed), both of which can make it awkward to revert back to a casual friend level.

This is not to argue or anything-- I just felt like I should explain where I'm coming from and admit I know nothing about what regular modern dating is like outside of the weird mix of social situations I've found myself a part of.

While I don't think I have ever watched the Bachelor, I would watch the crap out of Kermit the Bachelor! LOL I think this is hilarious promotion for the new Muppets tv show. I'm excited!

I just hope it was Piggy who ended it, imagine the damage she'd do if HE broke up with HER!!! :lol: :o

Kermit was forced into that wedding! He was recovering from a TBI and the next thing he knows he's part of a Broadway production where his "wife" has swapped out the fake pastor with a real one!

The Duggar name is toxic, and I really feel Marge would have stayed if the TLC show was still there for her to become a reality star. She wanted to be on the TLC show as a new Duggar bride more than she wanted to be Mrs. Josiah Duggar.

In some ways, yeah.. glad for Josiah so he didn't marry someone who didn't love him for who he is.

OR Marjorie isn't some kind of manipulative bitch and she did think, like many girls her age do, that this guy she liked was THE ONE, only to realize that he wasn't. You know, like a totally normal 17 year old girl.

I'm going with pants were a deal breaker - on both sides. And i'm sticking to it until evidence to the contrary is provided.

OR Marjorie isn't some kind of manipulative bitch and she did think, like many girls her age do, that this guy she liked was THE ONE, only to realize that he wasn't. You know, like a totally normal 17 year old girl.

Right. This could very well have been that Marjorie truly liked him but after a while decided he wasn't the the one for whatever reasons. I am not sure why folks insist that she was totally in it for the show. Maybe she was and maybe she wasn't, who really knows.

I always had the impression that these two liked each other well enough to enter into courtship, but neither one of them ever acted really smitten with the other. I dug up this older article from when they started courting.

When asked what Siah liked about Marge, the best he could manage was that he was "very impressed with the way [Marjorie] was with her siblings and her love for the Lord."

Further reading reveals Marge's take on it. "I have always admired him and his family," and [she] also revealed that "it was an immediate thing.

And when you go through the rest of the article, the families on each side act like they are more enamored with each other than the kids are.

christiantoday.com/article/19.kids.and.counting.star.josiah.duggar.courtship.marjorie.jackson/52090.htm

Honestly, I wouldn't really put much thought into the "reasons why they started courting." I mean, it's not like they're allowed to say "cause she's hella hot and I'd totally do her" or even base it on any kind of actual memory that doesn't involve themselves and a million other people.

Now he just needs to blast some Pierce The Veil and complain about how love sucks, and we'll be good.

Maybe find a good electric guitar and write a million really crappy songs about how terrible love is and how she ripped his heart to shreds.

Kermit was forced into that wedding! He was recovering from a TBI and the next thing he knows he's part of a Broadway production where his "wife" has swapped out the fake pastor with a real one!

Man I love Muppets Take Manhattan!

I was just on Instagram and the Josiah account name has been changed to Marjorie_jackson. Would appear it was hers all along. There are still photos of her and Siah together. Her latest post is a screen shot of the Duggar Family Offical (Facebook) announcement that she and Josiah have split.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived