IGNORED

Doug Phillips & Vision Forum & Lourdes - Part 2

happy atheist

So in a roundabout way I heard that it sounds like Doug got hired to be an executive producer for a film series that someone is hiring to pitch to the History Channel or someone like that.

Here's also apparently some footage from a new, second trip to Iwo Jima (that was NOT cheap the first time, and it's interesting that they had the money to do this despite telling someone at BCA that they had like $5000 left in the bank.) for filming.

It looks like this is the TV show:
http://gamedayr.com/sports/college-ncaa/college-football/bobby-bowden-goes-to-war-tv-show-134633/
http://alabamanewscenter.com/2015/12/07/bobby-bowden-retraces-world-war-ii-from-omaha-beach-to-battle-of-the-bulge/

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, CloakNDagger said:

So in a roundabout way I heard that it sounds like Doug got hired to be an executive producer for a film series that someone is hiring to pitch to the History Channel or someone like that.

Here's also apparently some footage from a new, second trip to Iwo Jima (that was NOT cheap the first time, and it's interesting that they had the money to do this despite telling someone at BCA that they had like $5000 left in the bank.) for filming.

It looks like this is the TV show:
http://gamedayr.com/sports/college-ncaa/college-football/bobby-bowden-goes-to-war-tv-show-134633/
http://alabamanewscenter.com/2015/12/07/bobby-bowden-retraces-world-war-ii-from-omaha-beach-to-battle-of-the-bulge/

Oh, FFS!

I sincerely hope the history channel turns it down.  Do we need need to resurrect the Allosaur?

34 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Oh, FFS!

I sincerely hope the history channel turns it down.  Do we need need to resurrect the Allosaur?

Well, maybe with the involvement of other people there will be more accuracy involved, but you do have to question the producer's judgment there. It's not the veterans' fault that they hired a "Tool" for a producer. At least they probably were actually on location as opposed to being on a "Amazon" adventure on a different river altogether on a cruise boat and accomplishing precious little of what people thought it was going to.

7 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Well, partly from  GoFundMe, apparently.  From that site (I'd rather not link) "In the summer of 2014, after returning from Normandy and the 70th anniversary of the D-Day invasion, my two sisters and I decided to commit the next few years to honoring and showing gratitude to the veterans of the Second World War."

Well, if that is all Daddy allows you to do ...

I'm all for learning about history and appreciating what veterans did in WWII.  However, it doesn't strike me as terribly healthy for these girls to be obsessing about what is, in fact, their great-grandfather's generation.  They seem to be glorifying war not appreciating the pity of war.  It's not all fancy 40s clothes, songs and the American flag.

It strikes me as decidedly creepy - young women in their teens and 20s making it their life's mission to prematurely and deliberately age themselves, and fawn over the oldest of old, decrepit men. That's one sure way to de-sexualize your daughters, Dougie and Beall. Nice going.

Thanks to CloakNDagger for the DPIAT/R updates - great find. I just hope any prospective employer has the good sense to conduct a thorough background check - and if they do hire him, to keep him away from female employees. The man is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Again.

7 minutes ago, Marian the Librarian said:

It strikes me as decidedly creepy - young women in their teens and 20s making it their life's mission to prematurely and deliberately age themselves, and fawn over the oldest of old, decrepit men. That's one sure way to de-sexualize your daughters, Dougie and Beall. Nice going.

Thanks to CloakNDagger for the DPIAT/R updates - great find. I just hope any prospective employer has the good sense to conduct a thorough background check - and if they do hire him, to keep him away from female employees. The man is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Again.

It's more than creepy and it makes me so very sad. They seem "ok" happy, but they were never "that" happy from what I remember.

12 hours ago, CloakNDagger said:

It's more than creepy and it makes me so very sad. They seem "ok" happy, but they were never "that" happy from what I remember.

I think the Phillips daughters have adopted their retro, WWII songbird schtick in the hope of rewholesome-izing their family, and counterbalancing their father's sins.

12 hours ago, CloakNDagger said:

The few times I met or saw them, they seemed pretty subdued. Smiles that don't reach the eyes, and that sort of thing. That's one reason why I've tended to worry a bit about the Phillips kids in all this.

Good catch on the film info. I have a feeling whoever hired DP has no idea about his past.  If they do any kind of background check, one would think the mess would all come tumbling out. Even a cursory Google search uncovers a ton of information.

I wonder how much they actually know about the war other than music and dressing cute. I doubt they understand why the war occurred, what was lost and what was gained. It seems they just like what appears to be the fun parts of that era. I wonder if they realize that if they grew up in that time, they would likely be doing the work the men would normally be doing at that time, such as building airplanes like my grandma, because the men were out fighting. It's just odd. I see a lot of people that dress from that era because it is retro now but they have other stuff going on in their lives. The Phillips girls seem to have nothing else. 

As to the potential for a show or movie or whatever on the History Channel, I wouldn't hold my breath. Lots of people shoot pilots for shows and most pilots are never picked up. I can't see the Tool being happy working with a network where a lot of women will have power over him, and a voice, which could make his life difficult. A wide stance isn't going to impress a woman who has the power to decide whether your show gets picked up. 

54 minutes ago, Marian the Librarian said:

I think the Phillips daughters have adopted their retro, WWII songbird schtick in the hope of rewholesome-izing their family, and counterbalancing their father's sins.

Or Doug (Phillips who is a tool) is trying to worm his way back into the limelight, and into the wallets of potential supporters, by hiding behind his daughters. No-one's going to criticize young women, right ? Tool.

Seems like the 1940s are the new antebellum era.

I can see it all a few years down the line... Buy the all-new Vision Forum catalog and keep up with the hottest new homeschool fashion trends: Red lipsticks! Kicky two-piece getups! The collective trauma of a nation that witnessed the pointless deaths of millions of men twenty years ago and is beginning to see it happen again! Boop-boop-de-doop-oop!

32 minutes ago, socalrules said:

I wonder how much they actually know about the war other than music and dressing cute. I doubt they understand why the war occurred, what was lost and what was gained. It seems they just like what appears to be the fun parts of that era. I wonder if they realize that if they grew up in that time, they would likely be doing the work the men would normally be doing at that time, such as building airplanes like my grandma, because the men were out fighting. It's just odd. I see a lot of people that dress from that era because it is retro now but they have other stuff going on in their lives. The Phillips girls seem to have nothing else. 

As to the potential for a show or movie or whatever on the History Channel, I wouldn't hold my breath. Lots of people shoot pilots for shows and most pilots are never picked up. I can't see the Tool being happy working with a network where a lot of women will have power over him, and a voice, which could make his life difficult. A wide stance isn't going to impress a woman who has the power to decide whether your show gets picked up. 

You just reminded me of my mom, talking in a subdued tone about my uncle (her b-i-l), who returned from WWII after being a medic at the Battle of the Bulge. She said he was mute for six months after his return. Didn't speak a word, in any circumstance. After he was able to speak again, he never talked about the war.

I wonder what these veterans think about these cute girls posing with them, all smiles...

I have a whole box full of pictures of my grandparents and other family members from the WWII era. The Tool and his offspring are completely ignorant about it among other things.

33 minutes ago, refugee said:

You just reminded me of my mom, talking in a subdued tone about my uncle (her b-i-l), who returned from WWII after being a medic at the Battle of the Bulge. She said he was mute for six months after his return. Didn't speak a word, in any circumstance. After he was able to speak again, he never talked about the war.

I wonder what these veterans think about these cute girls posing with them, all smiles...

I wonder as well.  Between Mr. and myself there's three uncles in the family who served in WWII and it profoundly impacted them, there was nothing cute about it. Two came back from Europe with PTSD, then termed "shell shock", they were never the same afterward according to my MIL.  Another uncle came back with injuries after serving in the South Pacific, he lived to his 90's but until the last years before his death he absolutely would not talk about his experiences or what he saw.    

One of my uncles was a POW for 3 years (Colditz).  Didn't say a word about it for 50+ years and then the dam broke.  It wasn't Hogan's Heroes, that's for sure.  Life review/reminiscence therapy is not recommended for people who have experienced significant trauma and suppressed it.  Denial/suppression of memories can be functional for some people.

If you read Liberty's (?) latest post on Operation Meatball they are not really taking much in about the reality of war.  It's more rah, rah, bravery, glory, kill the "Jap."  Also, especially given that Howard Phillips converted to Christianity from Judaism, they don't seem to make the WWII/Holocaust connection.  I may be underestimating them, but they spout the brave manly men defending the American Way of Life line almost exclusively.  Remember Doug posing in uniform in the VF catalog?  This is nothing new for him. 

I'm still shaking my head.  Three girls "dedicating" themselves to aging veterans for several years just seems so off.  BTW, "it doesn't strike me as terribly healthy" is my British understated way of saying, "that's some weird crap!"

If Doug does manage to sell himself as a film producer/director (or whatever job it is) on this one, I'll say good luck.  He'll get paid for developing a pilot program even if it never sells. Just don't let him near any young women.  

I say this simply and solely for the sake of providing for the minor children.  Their situation worries me.

Yes, @Palimpsest, your rah-rah-bravery comment rings true. It's what DPIAT has banked on for years, isn't it? I particularly remember his capitalizing on the emotional impact of the Titanic story.

That's what he's good at, it seems... Preying on people via their natural emotional response. He magnifies it, feeds it, encourages it to grow (at least, the nostalgia and melodrama) and cashes in on it.

ETA: All this, while encouraging men to be strong and stoic, and women to keep sweet (though I think that term comes from the FLDS? Or...?) -- always contented and cheerful. Perhaps the only safe emotional outlet for people in the VF lifestyle was this nostalgic melodrama. In addition, it helped them forget their own struggles and negatives for a bit, or suppress them better, in the excitement of being caught up in something "grand" and "noble".

2 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

If Doug does manage to sell himself as a film producer/director (or whatever job it is) on this one, I'll say good luck.  He'll get paid for developing a pilot program even if it never sells. Just don't let him near any young women.  

I say this simply and solely for the sake of providing for the minor children.  Their situation worries me.

Sorry I have to disagree here, if only because I have a couple of female friends who work in the film & television industry. Creepers like Doug shouldn't be given a pass and put into situations where they'll have the opportunity to victimize or at the very least harass young women who are just trying to make a living doing what they love. And boy are the creepers prevalent in film and television work, too. 

I get that Beall can be counted among Doug's victims too, but she could stand to get off her well-appointed ass and utilize her degree if the minor children are at risk of starving. Which I highly doubt given the recent pictures I've seen of them eating out at restaurants and the fact that JTits and Justice don't appear to be pursuing gainful employment either. 

1 minute ago, ladyamylynn said:

Sorry I have to disagree here, if only because I have a couple of female friends who work in the film & television industry. Creepers like Doug shouldn't be given a pass and put into situations where they'll have the opportunity to victimize or at the very least harass young women who are just trying to make a living doing what they love. And boy are the creepers prevalent in film and television work, too. 

I get that Beall can be counted among Doug's victims too, but she could stand to get off her well-appointed ass and utilize her degree if the minor children are at risk of starving. Which I highly doubt given the recent pictures I've seen of them eating out at restaurants and the fact that JTits and Justice don't appear to be pursuing gainful employment either. 

I'm not sure we do disagree.  I don't think Doug should be allowed near any young women.  I also think any employer should do due diligence and control for the fact that he had a sexual harassment/abuse suit filed against him or they are out of their tiny minds.  

However, Doug aside, are you saying that anyone who has ever been accused of sexual harassment should never work again?  Come off it!

I've lost track, do we know for certain that Beall hasn't got off her well appointed ass and got a job?  I thought Joshua was employed at - was it West Coast Christian Academy or Reformation Bible College? - and was doing other stuff.  Justice, I've no idea.

Just now, Palimpsest said:

I'm not sure we do disagree.  I don't think Doug should be allowed near any young women.  I also think any employer should do due diligence and control for the fact that he had a sexual harassment/abuse suit filed against him or they are out of their tiny minds.  

However, Doug aside, are you saying that anyone who has ever been accused of sexual harassment should never work again?  Come off it!

I've lost track, do we know for certain that Beall hasn't got off her well appointed ass and got a job?  I thought Joshua was employed at - was it West Coast Christian Academy or Reformation Bible College? - and was doing other stuff.  Justice, I've no idea.

I get what you're saying, but I'd say what Doug had been accused of is a little beyond sexual harassment. So Doug gets a cushy job producing movies and any young women who happen to be film editors or work in casting are SOL for that particular production? That doesn't seem fair to me. 

25 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I'm still shaking my head.  Three girls "dedicating" themselves to aging veterans for several years just seems so off.  BTW, "it doesn't strike me as terribly healthy" is my British understated way of saying, "that's some weird crap!"

Not to get OT, but I heard many of these type of "understatements" from my British grandfather whenever he was really, really bothered by something.   

26 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

I get what you're saying, but I'd say what Doug had been accused of is a little beyond sexual harassment. So Doug gets a cushy job producing movies and any young women who happen to be film editors or work in casting are SOL for that particular production? That doesn't seem fair to me. 

I'd be tempted to issue any young woman unfortunate enough to have to work with (let alone have to report to) Doug Phillips a taser.  But, damn, think of the liability issues if he tries any funny business with any of them!  

No, it really doesn't seem fair.  Unfortunately, it is real life.

I worry about Joshua Titus and Justice too, by the way, and hope they have found decent jobs.  Luckily the VF offspring (well, the boys) are better educated in general than the Gothardites.   However entitled Joshua and Justice may have seemed in the past, their worlds came crashing down on them too. They can't help having the Tool for a father, and they shouldn't be obliged or expected to support their father and mother, or even their younger siblings.   

28 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

Not to get OT, but I heard many of these type of "understatements" from my British grandfather whenever he was really, really bothered by something.   

Yes, I think that is very true.  The more upset I am, the more I tend to understate.  It's a problem.

Basically, Doug is not being a "good foot-soldier" like he told everyone at BCA he wanted to be, but wants to direct people, direct the narrative, and be in a position of authority.
It was his abuse of his position of authority that allowed him to get into the situation with Lourdes all the while he was telling us that his position was to follow what Billy Graham told him while he was taking him around as his chauffeur and never be alone in a room with a woman who was not his wife. He fairly effectively inoculated us against believing that he could be possibly be doing exactly that on the side. Of course since gossip was verboten and we were all supposed to think the best of our Christian brothers we were even less inclined to believe anything could have been going wrong.

1 minute ago, CloakNDagger said:

Basically, Doug is not being a "good foot-soldier" like he told everyone at BCA he wanted to be, but wants to direct people, direct the narrative, and be in a position of authority.

In other words, no change at all.  I'm not surprised.  

Doug Phillips Is A Rapist does have a law degree. He could get off his ornately costumed ass, take & pass a bar exam, and get a real job being a licensed attorney. Of course, that assumes he actually wants to work for a living.

Sure would like to know where all the $$$ is coming from for these endless costume parties that include trips to Europe & Asia, neither of which are cheap.

Just now, hoipolloi said:

Doug Phillips Is A Rapist does have a law degree. He could get off his ornately costumed ass, take & pass a bar exam, and get a real job being a licensed attorney. Of course, that assumes he actually wants to work for a living.

Sure would like to know where all the $$$ is coming from for these endless costume parties that include trips to Europe & Asia, neither of which are cheap.

Any lawyers want to weigh in- would something like Doug is accused of preclude one from practicing law? Like an ethics code violation?

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived