I grew up thinking that salad = lettuce with Kraft dressing. Then I met my husband and his family, who converted me to lettuce-free salads.

I haven't bought lettuce or commercial salad dressing in years.

For those in Toronto - Aroma knows what salads should be: http://www.aroma.ca/menu/our-salads/

Oh, I have to go there next time I'm home! It looks amazing.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Whole Foods down the way has a beer garden that has this roasted beet and goat cheese salad... :romance-heartsfade:

When I teach women to stay married and be keepers at home, I’m not teaching them this to make their lives miserable and punish them. No, I’m teaching it because I know it is what is best for them, their marriages and their children.

I teach them what is best for them and their families.

Dear Lori,

If the way you raised your children and run your marriage is any example, I don't think you know what is best for your own family, much less anyone else's.

Let's review:

~You married a man you clearly didn't love because the financial stability appealed to you.

~Upon marrying Prince Charming you realized that the $$$ wasn't rolling in, and the dashing *gag* prince wanted his spoiled little princess to work. Although you went to school for your Mrs. Degree (and Got It :cracking-up: ) by your own admission, Ken was more interested in the sort of degree that brought in money.

~With a combination of Daddy paying the rent, Ken doing whatever the hell it is that Ken does, and you "teaching" :evil-eye: you struggled through the first years, your animosity towards each other quickly building.

~Child one was born and you discovered that raisins on the floor were a deal breaker and leather straps were the way to go. CIO for infants? Absolutely! Mama needs her sleep. Daycare? Ken says it's okay as long as it's only for one child- any more and it's a sin.

Enter the hole in diaphragm debacle, enter baby #2, enter Lori gets to stay home, enter nanny, house keeper, and LOTS of time in their rooms for the kiddos.

~Your battles with Ken continue. Turns out basketball and sex are "sacred" to him and he doesn't give a damn if you are sick. Priorities, amIright???

He neglects the kids, you beat the kids, he spends lots of time on the road, you spend your time controlling your daughters into eating/body disorders.

~Ken hints at divorce the minute the last kiddo is out the door.

Enter Debbi Pearl "spanking" you with her words, enter submission, enter new people to control- Sheeple who follow your blog and actually believe you know what's best for THEIR families.

Thanks. No thanks.

:roll:

Exactly Koala. That hits at the heart of why Lori pisses me off sooooo much. During the years when her kids were young and being a mother and wife is hard...she wasn't good at either, because of what SHE wanted to do. Now that she's been "spanked" (so strange, that), she tells all the other mothers with young kids what they should be doing, not because of God (I'll never buy that), but because it's what SHE wants to do.

Lori does what Lori wants...ALWAYS. It's just that she's now found words in the Bible to support why she's doing it. How convenient.

My heavens, she actually said that?! That's a more inflated version of herself than I ever even expected! :pink-shock:

My heavens, she actually said that?! That's a more inflated version of herself than I ever even expected! :pink-shock:

Just when I think I couldn't possibly dislike her any more than I already do ...

She's constantly yapping on about how the first 20 years of her marriage were so abysmal and unhappy, etc. Well, I'm only 14 years into my marriage, and I can't really think of any period I'd describe as unhappy. Sure, we've gone through some really difficult times -- losing pregnancy after pregnancy was one of the hardest -- but my husband and I have always found solace and peace in one another. So maybe Lori isn't nearly as smart as she thinks she is. No, you do NOT know what's best for me and my marriage. We're doing just fine without your shitty advice. And I'd even say better since obviously we've figured out this marriage thing a lot better than you with your misery and passive-aggressive hatefulness.

I don't like Lori but it's important not to make things up. Her father is a doctor, yes. But you can't leap from that to assume she's Daddy's Little Princess, or that she was used to an entitled lifestyle, or that he contributed in any major way to their finances. They've never actually said that.

We don't even know that she was rich, growing up. Not all doctors are rich.

Being a doctor's daughter does not automatically mean you had a childhood of privilege and indulgence (I am not a doctor's daughter, BTW). In fact, Ken has hinted that his FIL is a difficult and obnoxious man. For all we know, her dad could have been cheap or controlling or something.

Here's what we know about Lori's dad:

he was a doctor.

he worked a lot

he occasionally helps her with referrals to other docs

he didn't get along with her mom

once he came over to rub her feet

he occasionally helped financially when they were just married (in what seems like normal ways, like giving them an old car or helping out with the rent)

I think there is enough about Lori to criticize without assuming things about her that may or may not be true.

lorialexander.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2015-06-20T06:00:00-07:00&max-results=4

Second paragraph

lorialexander.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2015-06-20T06:00:00-07:00&max-results=4

Second paragraph

Just the title of that article made my eyes roll back into my head.

Man, you give somebody an inch (of data) and they go a mile (off course and into a ditch with their inaccuracies).

Lori, people don't hate what you say because it's God's Truth. People hate what you say because you are not a nice person.

Lori, people don't hate what you say because it's God's Truth. People hate what you say because you are not a nice person.

And also you're usually completely wrong.

I'd say the vast number of working women in the USA (world) could give shit less what lorken thinks about them, and maybe even less that that when Lorken calls them(us) Whore of Babylon while explaining God wants us home. Because people choose their own path. Lori's advice, if followed in my marriage, would have had me deep in the depths of depression in my 30s and frankly, would not make my husband happy. I'm more helpmeet to my husband traveling with him and doing training and marketing for the company with him than I ever would be staying home.

I do sometimes wonder (assuming God) how the conversation will go when lori and ken and the maxwells get to heaven and learn that Ephesians, Colossians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 & 2 Timothy, and Titus-- the main "submit to your husband" sources, were not written by Paul, but by someone pretending to be Paul and really shouldn't have been included in the Bible.

I wonder how Steve picks bible commentary that never even mentions the debate about these chapters (or, perhaps like the lyrics to row your boat, he uses a sharpie on bible commentary that his "children" are not allowed to see.

I'd say the vast number of working women in the USA (world) could give shit less what lorken thinks about them, and maybe even less that that when Lorken calls them(us) Whore of Babylon while explaining God wants us home. Because people choose their own path. Lori's advice, if followed in my marriage, would have had me deep in the depths of depression in my 30s and frankly, would not make my husband happy. I'm more helpmeet to my husband traveling with him and doing training and marketing for the company with him than I ever would be staying home.

I do sometimes wonder (assuming God) how the conversation will go when lori and ken and the maxwells get to heaven and learn that Ephesians, Colossians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 & 2 Timothy, and Titus-- the main "submit to your husband" sources, were not written by Paul, but by someone pretending to be Paul and really shouldn't have been included in the Bible.

I wonder how Steve picks bible commentary that never even mentions the debate about these chapters (or, perhaps like the lyrics to row your boat, he uses a sharpie on bible commentary that his "children" are not allowed to see.

Lorken et. al. promise you a chance at a heaven...by creating a guaranteed hell on Earth.

Now, for me, I'll take my chances with an unconfirmed afterlife, but I want my for sure life here to be more heaven than hell. Just doesn't seem like a good trade off.

I don't like Lori but it's important not to make things up. Her father is a doctor, yes. But you can't leap from that to assume she's Daddy's Little Princess, or that she was used to an entitled lifestyle, or that he contributed in any major way to their finances. They've never actually said that.

We don't even know that she was rich, growing up. Not all doctors are rich.

Being a doctor's daughter does not automatically mean you had a childhood of privilege and indulgence (I am not a doctor's daughter, BTW). In fact, Ken has hinted that his FIL is a difficult and obnoxious man. For all we know, her dad could have been cheap or controlling or something.

My assertion that Lori is/was a spoiled little Princess comes from her own admission that she always got her way as a child and her stunning ignorance regarding those in situations less ideal than her own.

Ask my sisters. They will tell you I always got my way.

Now granted, it's not odd that Lori's father brought her food when she was sick, but her absolute lack of gratitude screams of entitlement.

I asked my dad to stop by my favorite health food store and pick up some vegetable soup.

He brought me chicken noodle

The day before, my dad was visiting me and gave me a foot massage and read some of My Utmost For His Highest to me as I sat with frozen peas on my head.

Further, *if* I as a married woman had my father paying my rent, I would certainly consider him to be "contributing to my finances in a major way":

We found this little trailer that we paid $230 a month for and my parents gave us that little

"That little" kept a roof over Lori's head, but never mind that because:

Ken remembers being so happy there. I remember being so unhappy.

My views are based on what Lori has written.

Koala can you link to the "that little" post? Please? :)

lorialexander.blogspot.com/2014/07/our-very-first-home-was-old-little.html

lorialexander.blogspot.com/2014/07/our-very-first-home-was-old-little.html

Fuck Lori and her high horse BUT.

"That little" was referring to the car, not the $230.

My assertion that Lori is/was a spoiled little Princess comes from her own admission that she always got her way as a child and her stunning ignorance regarding those in situations less ideal than her own.

Now granted, it's not odd that Lori's father brought her food when she was sick, but her absolute lack of gratitude screams of entitlement.

Further, *if* I as a married woman had my father paying my rent, I would certainly consider him to be "contributing to my finances in a major way":

"That little" kept a roof over Lori's head, but never mind that because:

My views are based on what Lori has written.

You are better at pulling specific quotes than I am. Didn't Ken also complain here that he was raised poor while Lori was a doctor's daughter? I can't remember the exact quotes, but he made several comments about Lori demanding expensive organic veggies, etc. and he mentioned her father several times, so it seemed like there had been some long-standing resentment. I got the sense that Ken felt that Lori's dad produced a spoiled daughter (who wasn't properly appreciative and submissive, as his own mother had been), and in turn her parents seemed to think that Ken wasn't doing enough for Lori.

Fuck Lori and her high horse BUT.

"That little" was referring to the car, not the $230.

I just went back and reread it. You are 100% right.

I would still say that giving them an "old little car" was still fairly generous. I know lots of parents buy their kids their first cars, but I don't know too many still buying cars for their adult, married kids -- even if the cars are little, old VW rabbits.

Idiot Lori reads Galatians 2 and COMPLETELY misses Paul's point - that he'd spent seventeen years preaching before spending any appreciable time with the church in Jerusalem.

You are better at pulling specific quotes than I am. Didn't Ken also complain here that he was raised poor while Lori was a doctor's daughter? I can't remember the exact quotes, but he made several comments about Lori demanding expensive organic veggies, etc. and he mentioned her father several times, so it seemed like there had been some long-standing resentment. I got the sense that Ken felt that Lori's dad produced a spoiled daughter (who wasn't properly appreciative and submissive, as his own mother had been), and in turn her parents seemed to think that Ken wasn't doing enough for Lori.

Yeah, Ken talked about being from a poor family on here. I remember one of his comments was something "I was the poor kid of a missionary or minister. The vibe I got from him was Lori and her family couldn't relate to him in many ways or didn't try to.

Wow. I think there is enough to snark about Lori without making stuff up, or twisting stuff around. Believe me, no one finds Lori's values more destructive than I do. But I don't need to make things up about her to make her seem even worse.

There's no evidence she was raised in privilege or indulged with everything she wants. It seems that some readers go mad with jealousy after learning her father was a doctor . .. and then jump to the assumption that she was "rich." And that being "rich" automatically means indulged and spoiled.

Really, giving someone an old car, or a trailer, or chicken soup is not being treated like "Daddy's Privileged Princess." It is pretty much within the norm for middle class parents.

If she got a BMW when she was 16, and it was clearly her father's idea (and not her mom's)--then maybe I could agree. If her father bought her a fancy first home, or even put down the down payment, OK. But chicken soup? An old car? Come on. You're better than that.

Even if Lori grew up as an upper middle class suburban girl, that is hardly evidence that she was "could get whatever she wanted from her dad" or any of the other silly things people say about her. And it doesn't bother me at all if she had a father who is a doctor. It bothers me that she is sexist, ignorant and a lousy mom.

I like how she is not sharing the name of her "book" so that we don't steal it.

Unfortunately for her, I think I have guessed the book's name. I think it's called "Ten Minutes is Not So Long." (Steal it away, ladies.) Here are some of the chapters:

Pick Up Those Raisins! Building a Loving, Trusting Relationship with Your Kids

The Miracle of Coconut Lube

Big Salads--The Godliest Meal

Who Cares if He's a Grown Man? Controlling What Your Family Eats

Avoiding Work, Part I ("Ken, We Really Need a Nanny. . .")

Avoiding Work, Part II ("Fixing Meals Really IS a Full-Time Job")

Convincing Your Husband that a Job is Exhausting (For You, Not Him)

The Size Six was Enormous . . (Making Other Women Feel Bad Without Seeming To)

Jumping When He Says Jump: The Great Joy and Power of Submission

You Can Never Say No: The Christian Road to Sexual Happiness.

Can anyone think of any other chapters?

"Slutty for Jesus -- A Guide to Christian Risque Wardrobes"

"Chaos, Panic, and Disorder -- Helpful Emergency Management Tips for the Deliberately Obtuse"

"Burn Baby Burn: Submissive Firefighting Techniques"

"Do As I Say, Not As I Do -- Hypocrisy 101"

"Blogging as Metatron"

"M&Ms and Internet Security: A Guide to Online Friendships"

"The Modern Martyrdom Movement -- The Tragic Verbal Crucifixion of Christians Who Molest Their Siblings"

"Black Salve: Cancer Cure AND Oven Cleaner!"

Archived