IGNORED

Jon Gosselin Seeks Custody of Hannah

NotALoserLikeYou

Who owns the house?

I'm pretty sure Kate got the house in the divorce because she has the kids. she's making like 40K per episode on TLC so I'm sure she is back to making regular mortgage payments on the beast since they let her back into the spotlight

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh, I remember when this show was just starting out, I never really liked Kate, then the divorce happened and Jon was absolutely vilified. I mean I think he's exhibited some pretty douchey behavior, but at this point, if Hannah feels safer with Jon, or even if she's just pissed off at Kate at the moment, whichever the case may be, I'd rather see at least ONE of these kids happy.

Funnily enough, though, I always thought it would be Cara or Joel to break from Mommy Dearest first.

ETA: I hope this...essay...actually makes sense to readers :)

I've never been a fan of any incarnation of the Kate/Jon/8 shows and nor have I ever watched a continuous episode that I recall.

I dislike reality television as a genre and as a social phenomenon primarily for two reasons:

1) I see the format as a way to rob professional actors of job potential by hiring 'not-actors' at a tenth the price to do "reality" shows that are as heavily staged and scripted as any sitcom or TV drama. (So here, then, is a naked profit-grab mixed with dishonesty aimed at the viewers and even at cast members.)

2) These reality television producers have shown themselves to be predatory - utterly mercenary. A family with six new mouths to feed, for example, was perfect fodder - a perfect mark; money for their kids' futures in exchange for what was probably sold to the pair as a candid and respectful look into their daily lives as they learned to cope with a highly unusual situation.

Indeed there never was a golden age when studios treated their assets - especially child actors - well. Multiple laws had to be passed to ensure the child actors weren't being overworked, robbed of their educations, robbed of their earnings, and so on.

The fate of so many child actors who became dysfunctional adults demonstrates just how wrong-headed it is to allow a corporation to essentially raise a child as a show-animal whose value decreases with age.

But I think the mercenaries that produce reality television are far more predatory than their forerunners. They hide their abuse of privacy and child labour laws behind the screen that (a) the parents are there and would protect the interests of their children (which may not be true or actually may not be permitted by contract) and that (b) reality stars aren't actually doing any work by one theory; they simply live out their lives while the world watches - which would not violate child labour laws. And yet that is not at all how "reality TV" works.

I agree with so much of your wonderful post, Burris. Like you, I've not watched much of J+K+8 or K+8, but what I have seen has been exceptionally shrill, irritating, and disturbing (though the kids were cute -- but I worried about them).

I have a lot of friends who live in the LA vicinity and work for various media outlets and on various projects, including reality shows, occasionally. A friend who works for one of the major networks says that we're in for a lot of reality TV in the future because it is so much cheaper to produce. If it's cheaper and easier (fewer laws in some areas, like AR), the networks will be all over that. And they are.

For example, Charlie Sheen was reportedly making two million an episode when he was freaking out on crack and ranting about "tiger blood." If you can get K+8 for $40,000/episode -- think of all the savings! Plus, the people attracted to reality TV share some interesting characteristics -- higher levels of narcissism, lower levels of self-awareness, sometimes easier to manipulate (there are obviously variations, but let's be general here). You can make some great TV out of that! And think of the blogs and online chatter that's generated from real actions in real life. People get very emotionally involved in these storylines.

It's terrible that children get involved in these scenarios. The producers are looking out for their bottom line, not for their child performers (I don't think they're technically "actors"). There have to be laws enacted to protect these children. Even with the laws, child actors often end up incredibly damaged (anyone see Kim Richards on RHOBH? Best argument against child actors EVER).

Two tangentially related stories: my great-aunt used to be a tutor/teacher on sets for a few Shirley Temple films. She worked with the other child actors, though, and thought ST was a spoiled brat.

Other slightly OT story: a friend's now-husband worked on the first Bachelor season (I think -- not a reality show viewer and it was years ago; memory's a bit fuzzy now). It was so boring that they had to manufacture drama, so some of the sound producers recorded themselves making out and then made it seem like the Bachelor (or whoever) had had some secret assignation in the dark woods.

Back OT: from the little I've seen of the Gosselins, I hope Hannah gets to stay with Jon. I'm not impressed with either of them, especially as parents, but I couldn't imagine going through my hormonal teenage years with KG as my shrieking, control freak mother. Jon may err on the side of lazy (I'm not really sure, actually), but that'd be preferable to the special brand of crazy that KG brings.

Kate was always a control freak to me and at least in the early seasons of JAKP8 Jon seemed quite meek. But fame really hit them hard and now Jon seems like an utter scumbag and Kate has gone out of control with the way she has to control everything and everyone around her.

I tried watching the special where the sextuplets turn 10 and it was painful to watch. Kate needed to do everything but couldn't but needed to and it almost became a disaster. Plus it seemed like she was fighting her children to win at every opportunity.

Both parents seem to be very detached to their kids IMO but hopefully Jon has Hannah and the rest of the kids best interest at heart and not just looking for another 15 minutes of fame after his divorce.

It seems to me that Kate has many qualities in common with another reality momager, Kris Jenner/Kardashian. When they first appeared on tv, we saw at least a little ray of light and joy within. Now, they cannot hide their RBF (resting bitch face ), :evil: even in the least contrived of scenes. Theres no natural joy left within.

Kate has words, y'all. Somehow she and her friend define her family as flourishing, though we know the custody battle is happening. She also says the night out is the most memorable night she's had in a long, long time.

people.com/article/kate-plus-eight-kate-gosselin-40th-birthday-dating-divorce-jon-gosselin?xid=socialflow_facebook_peoplemag

Oh Lordy, I caught part of the Kate 40th birthday cringefest on TV while I was ironing (Its when my tolerance for stewpid reality tvis at its highest; I'm not really paying attention so much as I am trying to distract myself away from the boring task of ironing) How did I forget how irritating Kate is? I had to turn the channel after she took the kids to experience riding around a dirt track in something called a Mud Buggy. There were some other adults along and each took a few kids in their vehicle, suited up in the protective gear and zipped around the track getting completely covered in mud. Anal fun sucker Kate drove so cautiously in her Mud Buggy that everyone in her buggy made it back to the start perfectly clean. Kate then decided to prove how "fun" she could be and went for another lap. She drove a little faster and managed to fling up some mud. Every time she hit a puddle she kept yelling."Are you Happy yet?" I am attempting to give her the benefit of the doubt and say that she was yelling this through her gritted teeth so that flying mud wouldn't get in her mouth, but what it really looked like was that she is fucking insane. Its called a Mud Buggy you freak show! If you can't deal with dirt then why bother to go there? Ugh. I feel so sorry for her children. I must remember not to get sucked into the Kate vortex again.

there was a special on before that the other night. I didn't get the channel flipped quick enough or surfed into it. But it was an all Kate crapfest.

I stumbled into the disaster with a 'tups go to the dentist (not kidding) piece. Specifically the moment where Kate puts Aaden and Alexis in the dental chair. Alexis is having none of this. And the entire time she's screaming glorious Kate did not get that the child that must have her blanket at all times does not have her blanket, wants her blanket and that said blanket would stop the screaming. When kate does finally hear Alexis trying to scream blanket, someone (not the child's mother) goes to get it. The moment the blanket is in Alexis' hands she shuts up. I remember thinking Kate was an idiot the first time I saw that episode. Channel quickly changed to Non-Kate programming immediately after.

Omg I'm watching the birthday episode right now and wow.

Kate was telling the camera about all she had for overnight was a small bag. Then she turned to Hannah and said "Hannah did you know that's all I have for overnight."

and Hannah goes "Yeah and" with SUCH an attitude.

She has clearly been done for awhile with pretending things are alright between them.

Omg I'm watching the birthday episode right now and wow.

Kate was telling the camera about all she had for overnight was a small bag. Then she turned to Hannah and said "Hannah did you know that's all I have for overnight."

and Hannah goes "Yeah and" with SUCH an attitude.

She has clearly been done for awhile with pretending things are alright between them.

Ugh, I watched a part of this too. Kate just makes me mad.

My girlfriend was watching something on the laptop and when she saw Kate her face went " :ew: "

I thought it was interesting she was talking about Hannah the other night on the show, and saying how Hannah was the one who always wanted to take care of people and she likes to sleep with and comfort Kate. Also that she is the one who is most affected by not having her parents together.

I thought it was interesting she was talking about Hannah the other night on the show, and saying how Hannah was the one who always wanted to take care of people and she likes to sleep with and comfort Kate. Also that she is the one who is most affected by not having her parents together.

From day one, Kate was singing the praises of her Hannie.

Funny Hannie is the one who wants to get away from Kate.

I wonder if KG doting on Hannie has made Hannie a target of the other kids?

Remember in the old days when Jon and Kate would take the older girls and Hannah and Leah places, and leave Alexis and the boys with a sitter?

KG was so mean to some of those kids.

Remember in the old days when Jon and Kate would take the older girls and Hannah and Leah places, and leave Alexis and the boys with a sitter?

It could be, but I have another theory. Kate strike me as EXTREMELY moody and vindictive. So while people are doing what she wants she treats them well, but the second they veer off even a little she dismisses them or is mean to them. If Hannah is tender heart d as described that would hurt her loads. I'm sure she takes care of her mother and her siblings because she loves them, but her mother is only nice to her when Hannah is doing what she wants. Imagine how that would feel? I'd choose always taking the brunt of Kate's anger than going through that roller coaster,

Of course that's all speculation but that's what the situation looks like to me.

• Upvote 1

WAS? Kate is the most cold hearted "mother" I have ever seen. I can't believe that she has a tv show. Is it because people like to watch a good train wreck?

• Upvote 1

WAS? Kate is the most cold hearted "mother" I have ever seen. I can't believe that she has a tv show. Is it because people like to watch a good train wreck?

Yes, it is all about the train wreck.

• 3 weeks later...
Those kids need a guardian ad litem assigned to them. I feel for the kids, and don't doubt for a second that Hannah wants away from the show. Those kids are show dogs to Kate. I'm glad Jon's looking out for them. And I don't think it's a case of thinking things will be magically perfect at Jon's place. I think Hannah knows there won't be tv-show-funded trips, and probably a smaller place. So what is there for her there aside from no cameras? I think that's what she is after.

There should be a federal law protecting kids from having to live for the cameras.

I know petitions are generally ineffective, but sometimes they garner enough public support/recognition to push lawmakers to acknowledge the issue. Would it be possible for FJ to start a petition, worded by some of the more legally-versed members, to protect children from being compelled to take part in reality TV against their will? Something that would acknowledge that the parents may be willing to sign over their own privacy, but that the children should be able to refuse to take part in a show, if it should be filmed? I don't know if there are other, more efficient legal ways to try and make a difference in this regard, but damn... while there are laws that protect child actors (to a certain degree), there doesn't seem to be much that actually prevents the exploitation of children for reality tv. I wonder if there's something we could do as a group to try to spread awareness of this problem and the child mistreatment that follows. There was a huge internet uproar over those talking barbie dolls that apparently were meant to record what children are saying and send it back to the ~home base~ to improve the interactivity, surely the use of young children on reality tv should be treated with the same level of outrage? Their private moments are being used for monetary gain...

Yes, it is all about the train wreck.

She is a horrible person. I think they appealed to a lot of anti-abortion people because they chose not to reduce. They got a lot of support from Christians too. And then it turned into a train wreck.

Aren't custody filings private? How would this even be out there?

Aren't custody filings private? How would this even be out there?

Usually all court filings/actions are public records. There are exceptions like if there are evaluations then those can be made private.

• 4 months later...

Kate Gosselin - totally obnoxious train crash tv, kids unpleasant to each other, Mother unbelievably nasty to kids - so she gets more programming.

The Hayes family - Table for Twelve - normal, well adjusted parents working together to raise two sets of twins, and 1 set of sextuplets, including a child with cerebral palsy, and doing it well. Kids who help and support each other, get pissed  off with each other, fight with each other occasionally - not high drama enough.

Personally, I couldn't give a FF for the Gosselins, but would love an update on the Hayes.

• Upvote 7

It is always a red flag for me when parents want custody of some of their children but not all of them. There are legitimate reasons that can be the best option, of course, but it always makes me side-eye the situation a little more.

I think Kate and Jon each have some major emotional issues and some serious limitations to their parenting skills. I don't think either of them are incapable of providing basic safety and physical care, though.

I would really like to see the kids have a guardian ad litem appointed to determine their best interests, because I don't think either of their parents are capable of doing so when it comes to the custody situation.

I also think they all need therapy, the parents need professional mediation, and no more TV shows for any of them.

• Upvote 5

• 1 month later...

So to update Jon's situation, he appeared on a talk show (eye roll - Steve Harvey show that airs today) and says he hasn't talked to one of his sons in 18 months and that, on average, only 4 of his 8 kids will go with him on his every-other-weekend visit.

http://starcasm.net/archives/340144

http://www.people.com/article/jon-gosselin-claims-he-hasnt-seen-son-year-half?xid=socialflow_facebook_peoplemag

"Most of the time I get four. I haven't seen all of my kids together in about three years," said Jon in a preview clip. "I only get what I get … I pull to the gate, and whoever comes down the driveway, that's who I get. I'm not privy to any information, I don't know who I'm going to get."[\quote]

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, NotALoserLikeYou said:

"Most of the time I get four. I haven't seen all of my kids together in about three years," said Jon in a preview clip. "I only get what I get … I pull to the gate, and whoever comes down the driveway, that's who I get. I'm not privy to any information, I don't know who I'm going to get."[\quot

More of Jon's passive aggressiveness. Grow some balls!

• Upvote 4

So, Jon, explain again why you sold your family for money and fame?  Also, why you are going for custody of a single child (while whining about see less than 8 when you go for visitation)?  

• Upvote 3