IGNORED

Webcomic Explains Wifely Submission (and more!)

Rachel333

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will someone explain the mom blog thing to me? I genuinely don't get it.

He is pissed off that women are making money by blogging and they aren't even using their blogs to tell everyone that they are going to hell. These bloggers are clearly the work of the devil by encouraging people to show tolerance and kindness AND they are making money while doing it. Unlike him who ripped off a popular webcomic to make money telling people they are going to hell. He is the work of God. God wants him to have money by copying The Oatmeal. Copying is godly.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect this is a jab at sites like Momastery, (in)courage and their respective cliques of mom bloggers. In mainstream evangelical circles, these have gotten to be rather omnipresent. I actually like the main (in)courage site, but they definitely avoid talking about some of the more politically incorrect and difficult ideas of Christianity. The tone there does tend toward the happy, light, and fluffy. Holley Gerth and Ann Voskamp are big on (in)courage, and there's a little clique of bloggers over there that promote each other all the time. I don't read there regularly, but it seems like almost every blogger there has gotten a book deal which all the others then promote relentlessly. I know Glennon of Momastery has a book, too, but not sure about her followers.

He is pissed off that women are making money by blogging and they aren't even using their blogs to tell everyone that they are going to hell. These bloggers are clearly the work of the devil by encouraging people to show tolerance and kindness AND they are making money while doing it. Unlike him who ripped off a popular webcomic to make money telling people they are going to hell. He is the work of God. God wants him to have money by copying The Oatmeal. Copying is godly.

K. So there *isn't* some bigger meaning I'm just not getting :P

I also thought it was kind of sexist. There are a lot of women who have found a voice in the world of Christian theology through blogging. By referring to them as mommy-bloggers (which isn't a bad thing to be), he's essentially stripping away any notion that they could contribute to a theological discussion, simply because they are moms and are speaking primarily through a blog. I suspect this list includes people like Sarah Bessey, Jen Hatmaker, Jamie the Very Worst Missionary, and Ann Voskamp (who I can't stand, but that's beside the point). I don't think he's talking about typical mommy-bloggers (women whose blogs focus on parenting and kid activities and, you know, being a mommy).

I also thought it was kind of sexist. There are a lot of women who have found a voice in the world of Christian theology through blogging. By referring to them as mommy-bloggers (which isn't a bad thing to be), he's essentially stripping away any notion that they could contribute to a theological discussion, simply because they are moms and are speaking primarily through a blog. I suspect this list includes people like Sarah Bessey, Jen Hatmaker, Jamie the Very Worst Missionary, and Ann Voskamp (who I can't stand, but that's beside the point). I don't think he's talking about typical mommy-bloggers (women whose blogs focus on parenting and kid activities and, you know, being a mommy).

Ahh, okay. I was thinking about the typical mommy-blogger that blogs about cloth diapering and making your own laundry soap and I was all "what's the devil got to do with using vinegar as a cleaning solution??"

Yes, he is mad that women are speaking about religious issues(like he does), making money(like he does), and having people share their thoughts on FB(like people do with his comics). There was nothing deep about that comic it was just an angry man complaining that women aren't staying in their place. He is most likely mad that some of these women are more popular than he is.

But, but, he uses color! And silly old xkcd only uses lines!!!snapple.jpg

Ahh, okay. I was thinking about the typical mommy-blogger that blogs about cloth diapering and making your own laundry soap and I was all "what's the devil got to do with using vinegar as a cleaning solution??"

Dunno about vinegar, but he sure as anything invented diva cups.

Dunno about vinegar, but he sure as anything invented diva cups.

In my other internet life, I've been discussing an anti-diva cup article on Huffpo all morning. Worlds collide!

In my old church there was a woman, a homeschooling mom with many young children, who referred to herself as a blogger. I checked out her blog and there were a lot of interesting conversations going on in her blogging network. A lot of women were exploring ideas like, "Maybe we shouldn't judge women who have had abortions" and "what if it isn't wrong to be gay?" Simply sharing experiences is the best way to change someone's mind and that's what those women were doing.

The work of the devil, clearly.

The first one boils my brain: My husband and I are equals! We're a team! We work together! But he makes ALL the decisions, whether I like it or not...

He doesn't SEE how this is not what an equal marriage is?! :angry-banghead: :pull-hair: :ew:

The first one boils my brain: My husband and I are equals! We're a team! We work together! But he makes ALL the decisions, whether I like it or not...

He doesn't SEE how this is not what an equal marriage is?! :angry-banghead: :pull-hair: :ew:

"People think that wifely submission is about the man being in charge and the woman having to go along with it, as demonstrated by these people that I drew to look scary and bad. But actually it's about the man being in charge and the woman having to go along with it, as demonstrated by this happy drawing."

In my other internet life, I've been discussing an anti-diva cup article on Huffpo all morning. Worlds collide!

What did you think? I read it, and it confirmed some of my fears about using the Diva Cup (full disclosure-- I tried the NuvaRing and had such issues with it staying in place that the Diva Cup terrifies me because the consequences of not staying in place are pretty dire.).

What did you think? I read it, and it confirmed some of my fears about using the Diva Cup (full disclosure-- I tried the NuvaRing and had such issues with it staying in place that the Diva Cup terrifies me because the consequences of not staying in place are pretty dire.).

I'm sort of tired of the "eww icky" rhetoric about mestrual cups. They are absolutely 100% not for me, but the continued disgust for them when they work for a lot of women is sort of tiring.

However, I did see a size comparison of the different brands of cups and they're next to a couple of tampons and HOLY CRACKERS there is absolutely no way that thing would fit inside of me.

Tampons expand, though. Put it this way - I am SUPER PETITE in that sense and a Mooncup (UK version) almost fitted, it's just that my cervix sits very low and was getting in the way. If I had an average cervix it would have been fine. Vaginas are stretchy after all, they can squeeze out a baby so I'm not sure why menstrual cups are seen as so huge. Because menstrual cups aren't porous, you can practice before a period and also use some lube to help. Masturbating beforehand also helps as arousal makes the vagina expand. Used tampons and pads are a HUGE environmental problem, I don't see how anything that reduces that could be bad. Menstrual cups aren't for me, but they're great generally.

Also Adam 4D just sums up the smug mansplaining of Calvinist/Calvinist-leaning conservative Christian men. Ugh.

This dude is hilarious. He is just spinning very complicated shit to fit his own small worldview. I wonder how he handles people who don't care about/buy into his HELL :pink-shock: speech. Does his little head explode? He seems very passionate about this.

Guy doesn't understand how a flow chart works.

First question on one asks if you're Christian or not. No? Read the yes side anyway. :penguin-no:

But at least he has the smug pretension down pat.

Dude's got a hate-on for Joel Osteen that's truly impressive. I'm not a fan either, but damn, this guy is like one of those obnoxious, ill-behaved yappy dogs that gets a hold of your ankle and just won't let go. What a turd.

adam4d.com/segregation/

Gross. He dresses it up in Christian love, but he's an asshole through and through.

There's a new, very wordy comic about marriage equality: adam4d.com/marriage-equality/ I'm not quite sure what his point is.

(Spoiler: it's not a gay man and a straight man arguing, it's a polygamist and a gay man... :o )

Edit: mouseover text is "Pro-gay-marriage doesn't mean anti-tradition. Just anti-SOME-tradition. Where's the equality in that?"

What is that even supposed to mean?

There's a new, very wordy comic about marriage equality: adam4d.com/marriage-equality/ I'm not quite sure what his point is.

(Spoiler: it's not a gay man and a straight man arguing, it's a polygamist and a gay man... :o )

Edit: mouseover text is "Pro-gay-marriage doesn't mean anti-tradition. Just anti-SOME-tradition. Where's the equality in that?"

I guess that being pro-gay marriage ruins "good Christian marriage" back to that same-old boo hoo Christians are being persecuted in the US. So there is no equal treatment of Christians blah blah. Such a dumb argument!

What would a Old Testament fetishist like Adam4 have against polygamy anyway? If he wants a biblical marriage, that's the way to go.

adam4d.com/flesh-blood/

This is my "favorite" so far, especially juxtaposed with the ones where he insists that there's strong evidence for the resurrection of Christ. Religion doesn't make a lick of sense? GO WITH IT! NO QUESTIONS!

I don't get it either. But I'm an evil pro-gay heathen.

Archived