IGNORED

Webcomic Explains Wifely Submission (and more!)

Rachel333

I wanted to discuss this comic which has been going around facebook lately and explains why wives submitting to husbands is good and "countercultural."

adam4d.com/wives-husbands/

But the whole site is a goldmine. These are comics I found just by hitting random; I didn't comb through the whole site to find these.

Homophobia!

adam4d.com/never-said/

adam4d.com/bigot/

Atheist strawmen! (I think that's his favorite subject.)

adam4d.com/irony/

adam4d.com/religious/

adam4d.com/atheist-regurgitations/

adam4d.com/tree-theory/

adam4d.com/atheist-garage/

Hell! (Gandhi's there already!)

adam4d.com/gandhi/

adam4d.com/keep-it-to-yourself/

Islam!

adam4d.com/radical/

Abortion!

adam4d.com/behold-the-misogynist/

adam4d.com/a-correlation-that-truly-bakes-my-noodle/

Mommy blogs are the devil's work! (Seriously, I'm not kidding with this one.)

adam4d.com/momblogs/

God knows better than us! (Who are we to complain about things like murder and bigotry and children dying when God has a different set of morals? We're just pushing our own views onto God.)

adam4d.com/values/

adam4d.com/think-about-it/

adam4d.com/goodness/

We're all just idiots, really!

adam4d.com/religion-vs-gospel/

adam4d.com/happy-sheep/

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People hear the words "Wives, submit" and immediately go full Joan of Arc

Really? Because I think I would have heard if the words "Wives, submit" were triggering visions in people inspiring them to restore the power of the French Monarchy.

He's totally stealing his website format from The Oatmeal. I think I'm going to drop a line to Mr Inman about this little site.

Oh, my. My first question about the wifely submission one wasn't actually about content. More just wondering why the huge blocks of text. I was really confused while looking at 1st comic (though it feels odd using such a word to describe these) about abortion... thought it was a guy with beer belly at first. :?

I'm mostly disturbed by how badly this is ripping off some other, very good web comics' formats!

This... this is beautiful.

THANK YOU for bringing this to our attention. You are a true snark-friend.

He's totally stealing his website format from The Oatmeal. I think I'm going to drop a line to Mr Inman about this little site.

Wow, yeah, total rip off. Maybe he can get it shut down :)

Wow, yeah, total rip off. Maybe he can get it shut down :)

Multiple complaints might bring it down faster. You should also give them a heads up.

I can summarize all of this guy's work for anyone who doesn't want to click through:

Angry Atheist: Hiss! Blarg! I'm so angry and incoherent! Look how my hair is drawn all crazy!

Condescending Christian: Endless wall of text! Like way too much writing for a comic! I don't know why I even put in pictures because I have so many words to say, all of which are about how OBVIOUSLY my interpretation of the Bible is the ONLY plausible one and only a fool could think otherwise! Now allow me to make a serious of dubious syllogisms! And then to quote from scripture!

AA: B-b-b-but didn't Jesus say we should all love each other?

CC: Oh, I guess you'be never heard of a little thing called the old Testament?

AA: [stunned]

FIN. There is no joke.

adam4d.com/50-shades/

And this is kind of the perfect example of the Christian straw man argument. You know, the one where you act like your own mainstream establishment view is the persecuted minority, use a misogynistic "dumb slut" caricature to represent what the problem is with people today even as you claim to be the only one who truly respects women, and all the while ignore the fact that most people don't belong to either of the camps you've identified.

You see this sort of argument from all kinds of dumbasses, but rarely in such pure and concentrated form.

adam4d.com/50-shades/

And this is kind of the perfect example of the Christian straw man argument. You know, the one where you act like your own mainstream establishment view is the persecuted minority, use a misogynistic "dumb slut" caricature to represent what the problem is with people today even as you claim to be the only one who truly respects women, and all the while ignore the fact that most people don't belong to either of the camps you've identified.

You see this sort of argument from all kinds of dumbasses, but rarely in such pure and concentrated form.

That cartoon did actually make me laugh but only because the description by the holy lady was actually kind of racy. :laughing-rolling: while the other side just kind of showed how ridiculous it is, even to those who are fans.

Are these cartoons supposed to be taken at face value or are they satire?

I really don't understand the point of these. They aren't funny. They aren't clever. They certainly aren't insightful. They're just giant walls of poorly illustrated text screaming "look at me I'm so much holier and smarter than you!111!!! You only wish you could Bible as well as me!!1!!11!"

This one is particularly, um, fantastic: adam4d.com/love/

Oh. I see. Well come on over and I'll "love" you like God loved the firstborn children of Egypt! Or maybe the city of Sodom. Or the Ammorites... or...

I'm going to need a bigger wood chipper, aren't I?

I'm impressed he has $3800/month on patreon.

I don't agree with basically any of his views but he is very effective at consistently communicating his platform.

It seems like it's pretty easy for loud reactionary dumbfucks to rake in crowdfunding cash. $46k a year in Patreon cash for a terrible comic about how God hates all the same things American middle class white men do. $800k for "NO PIZZA FOR GAY WEDDINGS OMG"... like there's a line around the block to book a shitty pizza place to cater your wedding.

Well, fuck it, being a moderately passable human being has never paid very well, so I'm jumping on the terrible selfish asshole bandwagon*. Guys, I absolutely, positively refuse to sew a wedding dress for a lesbian wedding. Pay no attention to the fact that I can only kind of sew... and can barely hem my own pants straight. My complete lack of aptitude in this department is irrelevant, because this is a stand I'm taking for Jesus, America, and a dump truck full of cash. I also won't arrange any flowers or decorate any cakes for gay weddings, and it's TOTALLY not because I'm terrible at these things. TOTALLY not. It's for Creamy White Jesus.

*Maybe I'll even get to drive around the US in an RV!

Yeah, it totally looks like an Oatmeal rip off.

What is this supposed to even be anyway? Some sort of webcomic for fundies trying to replace that they cant read all the best webcomics because there are no popular webcomics that are fundie approved. I cant think of a single one that has no premarital sex, immodestly dressed women, swearing, evolution/science, gay marriage/relationships, doesn't have any dark humour fundies wouldn't get, doesn't have pop culture references for things fundies would not be allowed to watch...so they have to make their own to feel cool but it ends up being just a stupid rip off that isn't even entertaining for anyone who hasn't been living under a rock for their lives.

Can anyone think of a webcomic fundies could actually read, cause I sure cant :D

Yeah, it totally looks like an Oatmeal rip off.

What is this supposed to even be anyway? Some sort of webcomic for fundies trying to replace that they cant read all the best webcomics because there are no popular webcomics that are fundie approved. I cant think of a single one that has no premarital sex, immodestly dressed women, swearing, evolution/science, gay marriage/relationships, doesn't have any dark humour fundies wouldn't get, doesn't have pop culture references for things fundies would not be allowed to watch...so they have to make their own to feel cool but it ends up being just a stupid rip off that isn't even entertaining for anyone who hasn't been living under a rock for their lives.

Can anyone think of a webcomic fundies could actually read, cause I sure cant :D

Haha no. The web comics I read would shock the pants off any fundie...what with their LGBT characters, sex scenes, etc.

All I see this as is a meld of an Oatmeal rip-off and that scary ministry pamphlet by that guy (chuck? Charlie?). Saw one of those pamphlets in a park once. It barely made sense.

The fonts used are exactly what is used in the Oatmeal. I doubt that can be copyrighted unless the Oatmeal made those fonts for himself. But isn't coveting what your neighbors have not biblically endorsed.

Let's write a lame comic about that lol

He quotes Spurgeon: the best way to live above all fear of death is to die every morning before you leave your bedroom.

Snigger.

The bit in between has a praying figure and a quote about having been crucified with Christ, but still: snigger.

These don't share any deep thoughts and aren't funny. Comics are supposed to have at least some humor.

I think my favorite is the one where the atheist talks about all of the murder, rape, war, slavery, and genocide in the Bible and then the comic goes on to criticize those who cherry pick the Bible and take the words out of context. That seems rather ironic. So tell me, what is the "context" of all of the killing, war, and genocide in the OT? What is the justification?

Oh wait, I know this one! God is greater than I am, so therefore I can't judge him by my own silly piddling moral codes. God is so good that I am in no place to judge His actions, ever. If he feels like killing people, or telling his people to kill people, then I am not allowed to judge because I'm human and stupid and immoral, right?

I think my favorite is the one where the atheist talks about all of the murder, rape, war, slavery, and genocide in the Bible and then the comic goes on to criticize those who cherry pick the Bible and take the words out of context. That seems rather ironic. So tell me, what is the "context" of all of the killing, war, and genocide in the OT? What is the justification?

Oh wait, I know this one! God is greater than I am, so therefore I can't judge him by my own silly piddling moral codes. God is so good that I am in no place to judge His actions, ever. If he feels like killing people, or telling his people to kill people, then I am not allowed to judge because I'm human and stupid and immoral, right?

I think he would say you are idolizing the word "war" and only god would know what war is lolol

[align=justify][/align]

I'm impressed he has $3800/month on patreon.

I don't agree with basically any of his views but he is very effective at consistently communicating his platform.

:agree:

Theologically, it's the conservative evangelical stance with the Calvinist slant. Not really fundie. I hit the "random" button a few times and I liked the way he points the finger at Christians (even conservative ones), too:

adam4d.com/welcome-to-american-christianity-restaurant/

adam4d.com/but-to-serve/

adam4d.com/prayer-gossip/

Sure, there are straw men and Aunt Sally arguments, but these comics are tracts and not meant to be lol funny. And they're considerably less ridiculous than the Chick tracts (among others). Not my cup of tea, but, maybe since I'm used to hearing it, I consider these comics pretty tame. I don't get the mommy blogger one - is he saying that Christian mom blogs sell out the gospel? If so, I'm not seeing it - or maybe I just don't follow the more moderate ones. The ones I see are pretty stringent in Christian fundamentalism.

As to the copying of other webcomics, though, that's a concern. I don't follow any (since Hyperbole and a Half) so I can't speak to that

On the up-side, he's no lover of prosperity preachers!

adam4d.com/martyrs-and-joel/

adam4d.com/benny-lie/

...or Pat Robertson

adam4d.com/pat-robertson-is-a-toolbox/

... or Phelps

adam4d.com/?s=Westboro

He certainly doesn't like the megachurch preachers that he thinks are too nice. They need to be warning people about Hell: adam4d.com/say-something/ Progressive Christians are bad, too: adam4d.com/1cor6-9-10-apv/

I did like some of the comics, like the ones about Benny Hinn or the prayer gossip one. That one rang very true to me!

Archived