IGNORED

What is the deal with wearing shoes?!

tabitha2

They go barefoot every where regardless of propriety-Joy was taking off her shoes at a wedding, Jill did not even wear them at her own wedding and they did not even wear shoes in a public hospital. When they do wear shoes nine times out of ten they are flimsy flip flops even for climbing FFS.I can't be the only one who notices a trend here.

I go barefoot most of the time. I hate shoes. They hurt my feet. And my feet swell in the heat to the point I can't put my shoes on. So I have flip flops for most of the year. During winter though, I have to put on boots and deal with the swelling from heat inside the boots.

I went to high school in Va Beach, VA and wore flip flops all the time. I took them off in class but wore them in the bathroom and hallways. When I was going to a UU church, I went barefoot. I go barefoot where allowed.

I think some people just hate shoes.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I go barefoot most of the time. I hate shoes. They hurt my feet. And my feet swell in the heat to the point I can't put my shoes on. So I have flip flops for most of the year. During winter though, I have to put on boots and deal with the swelling from heat inside the boots.

I went to high school in Va Beach, VA and wore flip flops all the time. I took them off in class but wore them in the bathroom and hallways. When I was going to a UU church, I went barefoot. I go barefoot where allowed.

I think some people just hate shoes.

If I ever was demented enough to marry again, I would go barefoot, too. So, I Jill a pass on that.

Couldn't this issue be as simple as the keeping em pregnant and barefoot and chained to the kitchen ideology?

For the Duggars and/or fundies, I mean.

I definitely don't think the lack of shoes (or decent shoes, or appropriate shoes for a specific environment such as a farm, or such as climbing a mountain in Guatamala) is simply a matter of preference. For one or two Duggar girls, maybe. But for all? I don't think so.

I think it's a combination of parents who were never hands-on enough to see that their children learned to actually put on a pair of shoes to go outside. They didn't need to put them on for school, after all, and if no one made them put them on to head outside (because mom and dad were "too busy" doing "other things"), then yeah, they'd kind of not ever form the habit of putting on their shoes. My oldest is lazy about having to tie shoes, so she'll grab for a pair of flip flops any time she can get away with it. But when flip flops aren't appropriate, I'm there to be the voice of reason. There doesn't seem to be any such voice for the Duggar girls. I also don't think the oldest girls (who have set the example for the youngers) have necessarily had their own pairs of clean, sturdy, NEW shoes often enough to ever develop a desire to have them at all. Btw, it doesn't seem that the Duggar boys are lacking for decent shoes. They know "Nike", after all. :D

This video of Chris Hogan's family shoe situation makes me think the Duggars have been the same. You know,...."Oh, you need shoes? Go to the stockpile of shoes-o-plenty and find a used pair that works for you." Ick. Can't say I blame them for reaching for dollar store flip flops (clean, new, disposable and replaceable.)

http://familysupportlink.org/2012/05/03 ... me-part-3/

You know.....

I have a dear friend who couldn't tie shoelaces at 19. He was freaking 19 before he learned to tie his shoes. His parents never taught him, and he just made do by wearing slip-on shoes all the time. He's okay now, but I remember when it came up I was shocked.

I wonder if the Duggars can tie shoelaces... Have they ever had to?

Not wearing shoes outdoors in the rural south is a great way to get hookworm, and various other parasites that live in animal excrement! :mouse-shock:

I'm on the opposite end...going barefoot all the time (or in flip-flops, which might as well be barefoot for me), I cannot imagine. Even in my house, I wear shoes. My favorite shoes of all time are knee-high boots with a four-inch heel. :) At this point, heels are actually more comfortable for me than "regular" shoes. I'm also 4'10" without shoes, so I need the height.

When I was younger and in better health, I'd go barefoot in the house or in my own backyard all the time and wear shoes to school/work/shopping as appropriate. No flip flops though, I hated them.

However, now I have arthritis and a collapsing right foot so I wear shoes inside and out - I have several pairs of Crocs (don't hate) that my feet love and they are my indoor shoes. I have a couple pairs of other "old lady" shoes that are strictly for outdoors wear.

They must not know about foot fetishists. http://www.wikifeet.com/Jessa_Duggar And they thought they were being so modest - protecting men from impure thoughts and all... hee hee.

OMG. Defrauding men with their feet!!

And I am pretty sure that they are unaware of this.

The bare feet thing is interesting. Its often a "slovenly" thing associated with lower class women who can't care and can't afford to wear shoes. Its also stereotypical of "hillbillies" (again an insinuation of lower class and poverty). And for the big "Duggars are just trolling us reveal"-women are supposed to be barefoot and pregnant... arn't they?

[

I always thought the constant flip flops wearing was climate related? I lived with Filipinos for a bit and they always wore flip flops. I always it was to do with the humidity..?

But yes they're awful for your feet. If they're that obsessed with sandals, Birkenstocks are a much healthier option :D

They are climate related. However, they are also poverty related. 3rd world countries often have people wearing flip flops because that is all they can afford as shoes can be very expensive for them.

Not wearing shoes outdoors in the rural south is a great way to get hookworm, and various other parasites that live in animal excrement! :mouse-shock:

I just can't get the picture of Josie (?) barfeet on the kitchen counter out of my mind...

Yummy

You know.....

I have a dear friend who couldn't tie shoelaces at 19. He was freaking 19 before he learned to tie his shoes. His parents never taught him, and he just made do by wearing slip-on shoes all the time. He's okay now, but I remember when it came up I was shocked.

I wonder if the Duggars can tie shoelaces... Have they ever had to?

Very good question- maybe only the boys?

Growing up in the south, I and all the other country kids I knew were barefoot kids. I still go barefoot in my house and occasionally in my debris free yard. I wear flip flops to go to the grocery store or to do other low key errands quite a bit. But it tends to ick me out to be in germy public places without much on my feet... I can't imagine going someplace like the hospital without having my feet properly clad. My parents taught us to dress us and wear shoes to church and any where else that wasn't casual, like the doctor or the dentist. I still remember being horrified at the kids whose parents let them come to church and tromp around the sanctuary barefoot. It was a farming community, sure, but standards! I'm grateful for my parents....

Yeah, they even wore real shoes in the early specials. You guys are beating a dead, irrelevant horse.

In that pic above, it appears that the husbands are wearing identical shoes. Thats kind of weird.

The second picture is Ben helping Joy lift weights.

The third picture is Ben and Jessa in the gym.

EDIT: Never mind-- just realized you probably meant in the first picture. Are the identical? They just look similar to me.

I do think it is a relevant, fundie trait to have little sense of propriety when it comes to choosing clothes and shoes, especially for the women and children. Little sense that some situations require more spit and polish.

But, thanks to these photos, I think we can speculate that they can, in fact, tie shoelaces. So that's great news.

But, thanks to these photos, I think we can speculate that they can, in fact, tie shoelaces. So that's great news.

:penguin-no:

Not so fast! Derrick and Ben are definitely the official shoe-tiers in the family. And I challenge you to prove otherwise!

:penguin-no:

Not so fast! Derrick and Ben are definitely the official shoe-tiers in the family. And I challenge you to prove otherwise!

Shit. I should have speculated that. :embarrassed:

Archived