IGNORED

What is the deal with wearing shoes?!

tabitha2

They go barefoot every where regardless of propriety-Joy was taking off her shoes at a wedding, Jill did not even wear them at her own wedding and they did not even wear shoes in a public hospital. When they do wear shoes nine times out of ten they are flimsy flip flops even for climbing FFS.I can't be the only one who notices a trend here.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say I don't understand it. But then again, I hate walking barefoot even in my own home and would never ever want to walk down a public street without shoes, I would be way to scared that I would step into something and hurt myself.

I'm sure they could afford some new and proper shoes by now (and heck, many shoe shops would probably give them a pair for free in exchange of some social media mentionings).

My only explanation is that they just hate wearing shoes or that they made some very bad experiences with them while growing up, since they wouldn't get proper ones, and shoes which don't fit right can hurt as hell. So maybe, they are a bit traumatized.

I hate shoes, too. I live in San Diego and wear flip flops on a daily basis...heck, I even got married in (fancy white) flops. My feet hate shoes.

Fair enough, I don't particularly like shoes either but a member of a wedding party or people walking through a hospital or hiking need to keep shoes on if simply for safety or hygiene sake. With their money Jill or one of the older kids could find appropriate shoes that fit picky feet.

I've noticed that, i think it's just a personal choice they share. I don't like being barefoot at all even at my house and I rarely use flip flops, mostly at the beach or pool.. so I guess they hate shoes, it's kinda gross and dangerous to be barefoot all the time but that's just my opinion.

Time and place for everything.

A formal church service, wedding included, and a hospital are neither the time nor the place for going barefoot.

Swimming or a beach wedding, barefoot.

A hospital or church event, shoes please.

Others will vehemently disagree. Wonder how many attended school without shoes?

Cue, all the shoeless high school students.

I've been dying to talk about this, but I didn't want to reignite the barefoot church argument.

JIffy Feet! Named after a gas station when I was growing up, Jiffy feet are nasty dirty feet you get from walking to the Jiffy barefoot. I can't find any pictures gross enough, but imagine walking over hot asphalt and sandspurs, and squishing ants and black toenails. Everytime someone posts a barefoot picture, I picture these feet, so dirty you have to scrub them twice and pick crap out of the cracks.

How do I know? I learned to wear shoes when I was too dirty to step into friends' houses. And because bandaids don't stick to dirty feet.

Maybe that's why I've never found feet appealing!

Time and place for everything.

A formal church service, wedding included, and a hospital are neither the time nor the place for going barefoot.

Swimming or a beach wedding, barefoot.

A hospital or church event, shoes please.

Others will vehemently disagree. Wonder how many attended school without shoes?

Cue, all the shoeless high school students.

Oh my god, it is you again. Is this your only issue?!

Oh my god, it is you again. Is this your only issue?!

If you are literate enough to read my comment, are you also bright enough to realize that I did not start the thread?

You saw the title and just couldn't help yourself?

I'd say, you're the one with the "issue".

SMH.

Move on.

I'm at one of the top universities in the US where the student population leans very heavily towards overdressed (Think collared shirts and loafers for lads and dresses for gals, to go to class), and we have a noticeable number of students, albeit it small, who walk around without shoes.

I just think it's how some people are.

Yikes.. I did not mean to be the instigator of the next battle of world war shoe :doh: but I agree with sassy-a time and place and the Duggars have no sense of either.in so so many things.

I won't snark on them for wearing flip flops (except for things like hiking) because that's what i wear in the summer (I have wide feet and slide style sandals simply do not fit me).

But things like at a wedding? Extremely inappropriate. If you liked the height difference, wear a pair of flats. A hospital? Are you out of your fucking mind? I'm no germaphobe, but that's the LAST place I would go barefoot.

Then again I wear slippers all the time when at home. I have wood floors and I had a splinter draw blood from the floors, so better safe than sorry.

Feet are not any more gross than your hands, people. Or rather, mine are not. Because mine don't spend the entire day marinating in sweat. Feet are also not anywhere near as fragile as certain hysterical people tend to imagine. For example, you're in much more danger from rusty nails if you're wearing shoes. Why, you ask? Because by the time you notice you've stepped on the nail, your full weight is in the foot and its gone through the sole of your shoe and now there's no stopping it from going into your foot. If you're barefoot, you feel the nail immediately and take your weight off the foot. Also, when barefoot you learn to watch where you're about to put your feet in the first place instead of blindly stomping around like shod people do.

#barefoot4lyfe

And before you ask, I've learned to be mostly content with minimalist shoes at work and so forth. But the feet want to be free!! They've wanted to be free since I was little and I really don't understand how people can prefer suffocating their feet in shoes.

There, got that off my chest. You can go ahead and start telling me how gross and uncouth I am now. :p

If you are literate enough to read my comment, are you also bright enough to realize that I did not start the thread?

You saw the title and just couldn't help yourself?

I'd say, you're the one with the "issue".

SMH.

Move on.

Never accused you of starting the thread--reread my comment. *smile*

You are really sensitive about the bare feet issue! [emoji12]

But would you walk through a hospital shoeless or chuck them off in the middle of someone elses wedding? It is that they don't follow basic common sense or manners about it. Sometimes in life we just have to bare with things we don't like.

I have insanely high arches, and I always felt like shoes restricted my range of motion. I have many memories as a kid of my mother howling for me to come back inside after noticing my shoes by the door. I'd come back for them, but they would go back off to climb something awesome. I have no regrets, I ruled that playground. 8-)

I also took my shoes off as a junior bridesmaid, during my aunt's wedding...so now I feel the most relatable to a Duggar that I could ever feel.

I guess the difference is that I was conditioned to be aware of when it is socially inappropriate. Now, I can't go into the shared hallway of my building without at least slippers.

I love socks now, but I still fucking hate shoes. :nenner:

IKR? I love to wear socks to bed-so cozy! I have finicky feet too, can't wear cute sandals or they cause horrible blisters.

Walking around a hospital in bare feet is too gross for words.

I'm surprised they were even allowed to - my maternity ward nurse made sure to tell me right off the bat that bare feet were not allowed but you could walk around in socks or slippers. Common sense, right? Or at least common courtesy? But these are the Dillards we're talking about - common sense doesn't seem to have any place in Jill's life.

Once when we were living out of boxes in between houses I wore the same pair of crocks every day for 4 months. When I was finally able to put on a real pair of shoes and socks it felt better than mmmhhhhmmmm.

I detest shoes with a bloody blue passion. I have strangely shaped feet...wide across the front and narrow at the heel. When I was a kid, my parents would make me wear shoes that hurt like hell telling me that I'd break them in and they'd be ok. That was a hellacious hell no...

I am barefoot almost all the time in the house, and I've lived in houses with wood floors and wall to wall carpet. IF I have to wear shoes, I wear Birkenstock style flip flops, high dollar running shoes or Danskos. Those are pretty much the ONLY shoes I can wear without pain...I've broken bones in both feet, broken both ankles and had 3 surgeries on one knee. The ironic thing is that going barefoot had nothing to do with ANY of those injuries.

Archived