IGNORED

Bringing Up Bates & Bates Family Doings: Part 2

happy atheist

I'm catching up on the episodes. I can see that Alyssa is a lot like Grandma Jane. I think it's sweet that they are obviously naming their daughter after Grandma Jane. I agree Alyssa likes being in Florida away from the Bates Chaos.

Lord, the whole modesty thing. Really? The whole swimming in your clothes just looked stupid & not to mention it's dangerous.

Gil always looking for a discount....

I'm surprised they could go to the aquarium because the staff wear wet suits. Nike!!!!

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder why Alyssa was not at Daddy Dearest's huge birthday party? Surely UP could have flown her in.

He pinged mine, too.

he pings mine david waller style. and the fact they've been together for a long time by fundie standards and no engagement announced... it's weird.

I wonder why Alyssa was not at Daddy Dearest's huge birthday party? Surely UP could have flown her in.

There could be a million legitimate reasons. Maybe she didn't want to be on camera. Maybe John's family had a conflicting event. Maybe she was feeling too ill to travel, etc.

That said, I get the impression that she doesn't really like her family. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure she loves them, but I increasingly think she wants nothing to do with that circus, and is making it clear that any contact will be on her terms.

I was wondering why there were do Duggars at the party ?

Have the Duggars been shown the UP version of the Bates show? I am wondering if they are allowed to appear in reality television shows on another channel.

I was wondering why there were do Duggars at the party ?

Two different networks. I do not see TLC giving an ok for Duggars to appear on an UP network show. Same production company may do both shows but networks tend to be a bit territorial about the shows on their network.

There could be a million legitimate reasons. Maybe she didn't want to be on camera. Maybe John's family had a conflicting event. Maybe she was feeling too ill to travel, etc.

That said, I get the impression that she doesn't really like her family. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure she loves them, but I increasingly think she wants nothing to do with that circus, and is making it clear that any contact will be on her terms.

I don't necessarily think it was a negative thing, but it was weird. Was this a real party or an UP staged thing? Nathan was acting like he was getting people from the airport and there was not only not a mention of Alyssa but not a video call or anything. The shows are staged with story lines. We know that. It is a huge gap in the story not have a mention of Alyssa when people were coming in from all the place, supposedly everyone who means something to Gil. You would think UP producers would be savvy enough to notice that only 18 kids were around and viewers might notice.

The Duggars were not there because they are on a competing network. Duh.

He pinged mine, too.

I've not been watching the show but the long, long engagement is raising suspicions for me. In a culture where sex is only available through marriage, what young man when he's finished school (thus able to work) and has a lovely girl waiting for him wouldn't want to marry her ASAP?

But with a courting/engaged couple and two babies on the way, season 2 has a lot of material to work with. Anyone know when it returns?

Early June

Kelly answered some questions about potential courthip

Ye5BF.jpgDDGjF.jpg2LAci.jpg

I think Brandon is scared to death by the howler monkeys.

The older Bates girls- Tori, Carlin, Josie, Katie- are annoying. They're just snotty & bratty. I want to slap them.

This is my opinion, but Brandon pings my gaydar.

I don't have a TV so I haven't been able to follow along on the show at all (well, other than the "Name That Bates" videos on YouTube) but I totally agree about Tori! Whenever I see her I think of her standing behind Jill Duggar (this is from one of the episodes where the Duggars come and add on to their house as a Mother's Day gift for Kelly) and whining about the color she was painting the door. Jill looked like she was going to cry, Michaela was trying to stay positive, and Tori just keeps going "You have to admit that color combination is NASTY!" Girl, these people are tripling the size of your sardine can of a home and you want to stand around complaining and not doing any work?! :naughty:

I can't comment on Carlin, Josie, and Katie though.

I don't have a TV so I haven't been able to follow along on the show at all (well, other than the "Name That Bates" videos on YouTube) but I totally agree about Tori! Whenever I see her I think of her standing behind Jill Duggar (this is from one of the episodes where the Duggars come and add on to their house as a Mother's Day gift for Kelly) and whining about the color she was painting the door. Jill looked like she was going to cry, Michaela was trying to stay positive, and Tori just keeps going "You have to admit that color combination is NASTY!" Girl, these people are tripling the size of your sardine can of a home and you want to stand around complaining and not doing any work?! :naughty:

I can't comment on Carlin, Josie, and Katie though.

Thank you for reminding me which Bates Girl made the rude comments. I do remember that episode. My advice to Tori would be, "Girl, is OK to have a strong opinion but state it in a more diplomatic way, especially to people who are providing you with free labor". Jill D. did look very sad. I do recall Tori using the term "YUCK colors".

Couldn't agree more about the girls, especially Josie. I can't put my finger on it but she really irks me. And then I saw her literally hanging all over a very pregnant Whit and she really got under my skin.

I think Brandon is scared to death by the howler monkeys.

The older Bates girls- Tori, Carlin, Josie, Katie- are annoying. They're just snotty & bratty. I want to slap them.

In other words, they are pretty typical teen girls? They are outspoken, confident, sassy young women. I much prefer this to passive, churchmouses who stare adoringly at the family headship.

I agree that sometimes Tori, in particular is pretty loud, but yet, I never see criticism aimed at the boys for being wild. No one is snarking on Nathan for tripping his brother, or being wildman. (Other than concerns for his safety when using the chainsaw upside down).

I think we need to acknowledge that even here on FJ, we hold the girls to a different and impossible standard. We all want Jana to stand up to Michelle and Jim Bob and tell them to jump in the lake and that she is done with being J'slave, etc. We want Jinger to assert herself.

And then when Tori and Carlin are assertive, opinionated, boisterous, etc they are chastised for being obnoxious. Well, Give me Tori and Carlin over Sad Jana and Jinger and Lost Jenny any day. I want Jana, jinger, Joy, hannie, Jenny, Jordyn and Josie (Did I miss one?) to show even half the spunk and sass the Bates girls do, and I hope it happens soon.

I LOVE the Bates girls. They are much more like "normal" teenagers than the Duggar girls. Even though they're in the same cult, the difference in the children's personalities tells me that the Duggar kids were basically beaten into submission and the Bates kids weren't. I truly think Kelly and Gil are more gentle parents, willing to accept that kids will be kids and not interested in cranking out 19 clones.

With the Duggars, there can only be 2 principles...JB & M. NONE of the kids are allowed to have any sort of personality that might outshine them, especially Michelle. She's queen bitch of the hive and they better know it.

Ok...I know...they're all members of that horrid cult...BUT...if the Bates were the face of IBLP it'd probably be MUCH more popular. Good looking kids, reasonably well educated (compared to others), relatively articulate, allowed to have outside interests, parents foster those interests and talents (Erin and her music), and honestly, I like Kelly and Gil more than JB & M.

I LOVE the Bates girls. They are much more like "normal" teenagers than the Duggar girls. Even though they're in the same cult, the difference in the children's personalities tells me that the Duggar kids were basically beaten into submission and the Bates kids weren't. I truly think Kelly and Gil are more gentle parents,willing to accept that kids will be kids and not interested in cranking out 19 clones.]

Do you read formergothardite's comments about the abusive parenting guide the Bates' use?

With the Duggars, there can only be 2 principles...JB & M. NONE of the kids are allowed to have any sort of personality that might outshine themespecially Michelle. She's queen bitch of the hive and they better know it

Really? You don't think Jill, Jessa, Jinger, Joy Anna etc. have personalities?

Ok...I know...they're all members of that horrid cult...BUT...if the Bates were the face of IBLP it'd probably be MUCH more popular. Good looking kids, reasonably well educated (compared to others), relatively articulate, allowed to have outside interests, parents foster those interests and talents (Erin and her music), and honestly, I like Kelly and Gil more than JB & M.

I don't think the Bates have brainwashed FJ....I see it more like this.

You are working in an office and you happen to have some fundie coworkers, happy, happy, joy, joy....or you are a member of the town quilting bee, since yes I realize the cult would not be happy with woman folk working in an office

Would you rather have Kelly be sitting in the cube next to you (or stitching next to you) or Michelle? Would you rather work with Gil or Jim Bob?

Personally I would choose Kelly because when I worked in an office I liked going to lunch at Houlihans (I love their salads) and I think Kelly would probably go with me (especially if I offered to treat) and be capable of coworker chit chat...Michelle on the other hand would probably need to rehighlight her bible during lunch break or call Jana to make sure the kids were being as robotic as possible.

btw I'm surprised no one has discussed the skit about Gil and Kelly's first date (and yes I realize a lot of y'all can't see Bringing Up Bates :evil-eye: which stinks)

To recap based on the skit, and other comments that were made first at the Bed and Breakfast (Kelly took him for a night in a BB so the kids would have a chance to set up for the party) Gil implied Kelly was first interestedin/ attracted to the friend he was with when they first met (I'm assuming on campus). Then in the skit Kelly (played by Tori Bates in a ....sleeveless dress with only another sleeveless dress under it!!! so I guess we should assume Kelly was putting herself through school as a call girl, after all we all know what no sleeves means :roll: ) meets Gil again and agrees to a date with him. AND HE STOOD HER UP!!! They showed her waiting and waiting for him to show up with her friends (played by other Bates girls wearing signs that said friend which was funny) It was odd after the skit because Gil acted like he only remembered that factoid, about standing her up, after seeing the play and I'll give him credit that he said he was basically a jerk and he is embarrassed he did that and lucky Kelly wound up marrying him. And obviously, at least the girl Bates, knew this story well so how on earth had Gil not been reminded of this at any point in the last 30 years. Basically they were pretty frank that they, Kelly and Gil, were very normal high school and college kids...no idea where joining the cult came into play for them...

There was also a funny skit where Kelly is asking Gil to consider leaving their family size in God's hands. Gil (played by Zach) is hemming and hawing and Kelly tells him to study his bible. Switch to Zach going through the bible and finding verses like "be fruitful and multiply" in a panic.

And they made a big deal about what a great wrestler Gil was in high school and college. Seems like he got a scholarship and the whole shabang.

I think it's possible the Bates (maybe the Duggars too) decided to home school and started to go to Big Sandy home school conferences to meet other families where unfortunately there is ONLY kool aid served with every meal. :think:

In other words, they are pretty typical teen girls? They are outspoken, confident, sassy young women. I much prefer this to passive, churchmouses who stare adoringly at the family headship.

I agree that sometimes Tori, in particular is pretty loud, but yet, I never see criticism aimed at the boys for being wild. No one is snarking on Nathan for tripping his brother, or being wildman. (Other than concerns for his safety when using the chainsaw upside down).

I think we need to acknowledge that even here on FJ, we hold the girls to a different and impossible standard. We all want Jana to stand up to Michelle and Jim Bob and tell them to jump in the lake and that she is done with being J'slave, etc. We want Jinger to assert herself.

And then when Tori and Carlin are assertive, opinionated, boisterous, etc they are chastised for being obnoxious. Well, Give me Tori and Carlin over Sad Jana and Jinger and Lost Jenny any day. I want Jana, jinger, Joy, hannie, Jenny, Jordyn and Josie (Did I miss one?) to show even half the spunk and sass the Bates girls do, and I hope it happens soon.

i agree with this. the reason i think FJ think how they think, is because they always want a hero out of a situation. for someone like jana or priscilla to suddenly start speaking up to their headships because that would signify a big change in thinking.

Oh yeah, I forgot the rule....ALL fundies must be hated with a bloody blue passion. Not a single one of them have ANY redeeming value whatsoever...

sorry about that

Oh yeah, I forgot the rule....ALL fundies must be hated with a bloody blue passion. Not a single one of them have ANY redeeming value whatsoever...

sorry about that

This!

I guess some people here do not have any friends, family, or coworkers whose religious, political, or moral views vary from theirs in the slightest.

:worship: :wtf:

Regarding the older Bates girls. . .

I think it's possible to find the Bates girls obnoxious without wishing they were meek and mild like Jana. I, personally, do not find Tori and Co. to be anything like the teen girls I see every day.

I like strong, assertive, outspoken girls, too. But I don't like rude ones. According to the poster, it's OK to find the Duggar girls sad and beaten down, but to find the opposite problem in the Bates girls means you are sexist. I disagree.

I thought Tori was insensitive and super-rude (and kind of stupid-sounding) when she complained about the "yuck colors." I wouldn't tolerate that behavior from an eight-year old. Why didn't she know better than to insult and hurt Jill like that? Why didn't someone teach her when she was four that when someone helps you, you say "thank you."?? If you don't like the color, you might politely ask for a new color, or you might simply redo it yourself later. But the important thing is to show appreciation for the gift you are being given.

I think Tori, Carlin, Katie and Josie have a sort of loud, brash arrogance without any real accomplishments to back it up. It is distasteful.

I just got into it with a leghumper in the comment section of Yahoo the other day about this. How while Gil has definite ties to Gothard, at least his kids have a chance. The girls being able to do some forms of work, attending Crown, etc. The very fact Alyssa changed her wardrobe so quickly after getting married gives me the impression that the Bates kids are/were kinda drinking the Kool-aid but the Duggars force feed it with a beer bong and beatings.

It kinda comes back to the blame/empathy subject. I despise the Bate's beliefs just as much as the next person. But I think what we're seeing with the Bates kids there's a lot of potential for them to go fundie lite or even mainstream Christian once they get married, where Josh Duggar has shown very little deviation from the party line even though he's halfway across the country and been married for so long.

Hopefully that made some sort of sense, brain is foggy from a badly timed afternoon nap!

I don't think the Bates have brainwashed FJ....I see it more like this.

You are working in an office and you happen to have some fundie coworkers, happy, happy, joy, joy....or you are a member of the town quilting bee, since yes I realize the cult would not be happy with woman folk working in an office

Would you rather have Kelly be sitting in the cube next to you (or stitching next to you) or Michelle? Would you rather work with Gil or Jim Bob?

Personally I would choose Kelly because when I worked in an office I liked going to lunch at Houlihans (I love their salads) and I think Kelly would probably go with me (especially if I offered to treat) and be capable of coworker chit chat...Michelle on the other hand would probably need to rehighlight her bible during lunch break or call Jana to make sure the kids were being as robotic as possible.

Just based on the fact that Gothard allowed Kelly into his inner circle and Michelle didn't make it, I'd go with Michelle. Because if Kelly was any sort of a decent human who wouldn't stab you in the back and throw you under the bus the second she had the chance Gil wouldn't be on the BoD. You really think Gothard would allow a man to get that close to him and everything that is going on the cult if he had a wife with strong morals? He wouldn't because he wouldn't risk a wife influencing her husband to question the shitty things Gothard does.

Kelly is just as deep into this shit as Gil and just as awful as he is. She just can make the shit look pretty.

I was just looking at the instagram accounts of Alyssa and Erin. Both have pictures of themselves and various family members and one has a group shot that includes family + Erin + Alyssa (so they were obviously in the same place at the same time) but no pictures of the two of them showing their pregnant bellies. Jill (nee Dugger) had a photo of her and her brother's pregnant wife (whose name has slipped my mind) and lots of fundies with multiple pregnant siblings often have group shots of all the pregnant women so it seems like an odd omission to me. I don't follow this family closely so I might be missing something. Are these two not so close? Is there some drama or is this just that with 20 kids some just prefer other siblings?

Archived