IGNORED

Bringing Up Bates & Bates Family Doings: Part 2

happy atheist

abcnews.go.com/US/evangelical-bates-family-20-children/story?id=12648595&page=2

Kelly claims it is to keep track of if a kid is sneaking cookies. :roll:

Yup...and guess who's idea it was...and who installed it? I'll give you a hint, his name starts with a "J".

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I once had a boss who discovered - the hard way - that at least one of her basement windows was not hooked into the home security system. Discovered when their son snuck out of the house to meet a girlfriend.

Solution? Yeah contact alarm company to come out and check all windows/entrances and make sure everything is connected. Oh and ground child. It was not 'hey let's install security cameras!'

:pink-shock:

Yup...and guess who's idea it was...and who installed it? I'll give you a hint, his name starts with a "J".

Oh, I'm sure the Duggars have the same system, they just haven't mentioned it. Or maybe they did mention having a system like this but I don't remember it.

There was a night the Bates were on an ABC news program.I think it aired not long after Alyssa and JOhn got married.

There were scenes of Alyssa at the Bates home,cooking.The news host asked how old Alyssa was when she started cooking meals for her large family.

Alyssa said she was 12.

Couple things I noticed in the most recent episode:

1) guns in Lawson's room. Did anyone else notice those? If you've DVRd the episode, or have on demand, there's a scene of Lawson in his bedroom, trying to write a song. In the background is an ottoman type thing, or maybe it's a table, where he's draped two leather holsters containing pistols. Do you think these are toy guns or real ones? If real, hopefully they are not loaded! Do you think he concealed carries?

2) possible engagement ring on Michael(la)'s finger. In the scene where the girls are slicing and dicing, you see her hands and a pretty chunky ring on her ring finger. The clip is quick. I rewound it and looked at the other girls' fingers, since they all have purity rings. They wear them on non-ring fingers. Anyway, she could be engaged. I don't think the Bateses are famous enough for the tabloids to care, so probably her engagement happened without any news.

thoughts?

Couple things I noticed in the most recent episode:

1) guns in Lawson's room. Did anyone else notice those? If you've DVRd the episode, or have on demand, there's a scene of Lawson in his bedroom, trying to write a song. In the background is an ottoman type thing, or maybe it's a table, where he's draped two leather holsters containing pistols. Do you think these are toy guns or real ones? If real, hopefully they are not loaded! Do you think he concealed carries?

2) possible engagement ring on Michael(la)'s finger. In the scene where the girls are slicing and dicing, you see her hands and a pretty chunky ring on her ring finger. The clip is quick. I rewound it and looked at the other girls' fingers, since they all have purity rings. They wear them on non-ring fingers. Anyway, she could be engaged. I don't think the Bateses are famous enough for the tabloids to care, so probably her engagement happened without any news.

thoughts?

Kelly did specifically say in one episode (or maybe on the blog?) that the girls typically wore their purity rings on their (wedding) ring finger.

Huh? Why would Jim Bob install a camera system in the Bates' household? That does not make sense. Gil and Kelly are not under the thumbs of the Duggars. That pair is completely capable of awful stuff on their own.

Huh? Why would Jim Bob install a camera system in the Bates' household? That does not make sense. Gil and Kelly are not under the thumbs of the Duggars. That pair is completely capable of awful stuff on their own.

IIRC, JB suggested it when he re-did the Bates home as a "gift."

Yup. This. The Duggars have a similar system in their home.

Kelly did specifically say in one episode (or maybe on the blog?) that the girls typically wore their purity rings on their (wedding) ring finger.

I wear mine on my ring finger. That's not to say that I think of it as anything more than a pretty ring, though. I wonder if any of these girls feel the same.

As far as the guns...it's the South. They're probably not loaded, but they probably are real. It's not a big deal to most people here, and definitely not in their circles.

As far as the guns...it's the South. They're probably not loaded, but they probably are real. It's not a big deal to most people here, and definitely not in their circles.

Yup. I distinctly remember visiting my grandparents in Hot Springs and my Grandpa telling me, "I have loaded guns all over this house. I don't believe in gun safety, I believe in children obeying so don't touch the guns." I was little...maybe 6 or 7. That stuck with me. Last summer was the first time I'd ever shot a gun...and I'm 35.

just :angry-banghead:

how likely is it that all of the fundie kids in this generation will remain in the cult? dose anyone have statistics on second/third generations of kids from such legalistic backgrounds? even if they stay will their kids, The little pecans, M’s, Bates grands kids and so forth, have a shot of having a normal life? its when stuff like the camera system gets brought up that I start to lose the desire to snark on these people. its not funny. its just horrifying.

Judging from other ATI families I would say the chances of all the Duggar/Bates kids staying in the cult are fairly slim. It might be harder for kids like the Bates since they are so deep into it and Gil and Kelly seem to try and marry them off to people who are also deep in the cult(Zach being the exception), but I bet most will not continue with ATI and will want their children to have more normal lives.

Judging from other ATI families I would say the chances of all the Duggar/Bates kids staying in the cult are fairly slim. It might be harder for kids like the Bates since they are so deep into it and Gil and Kelly seem to try and marry them off to people who are also deep in the cult(Zach being the exception), but I bet most will not continue with ATI and will want their children to have more normal lives.

I hope that's true. But at least 3 of the Keller kids are still Gotharding.

Yup. I distinctly remember visiting my grandparents in Hot Springs and my Grandpa telling me, "I have loaded guns all over this house. I don't believe in gun safety, I believe in children obeying so don't touch the guns." I was little...maybe 6 or 7. That stuck with me. Last summer was the first time I'd ever shot a gun...and I'm 35.

I had a similar experience. I don't own guns, hate them and would never have one, but as a kid growing up, my dad actually had a side business of restoring antique guns. Our house always had guns, mostly old and often not functional anymore, but he also had regular guns.

Now, "gun safety" just wasn't really a thing back then. My mom had what was called a "lady's pistol" with a fancy mother of pearl handle. It was never loaded because she wasn't really fond of guns either, but it was by her bedside. I will tell you that not a day went by, when I didn't go in and hold that gun. I was fascinated with it because it was so pretty. But i also knew it was not loaded.

On the other hand, with all the other guns, I never once touched them. All of my friends grew up with guns in their houses as well. Back then I never once heard of a kid accidentally shooting someone, or taking a gun to school.

As liberal as I am, I do find myself divided on the Gun issue. While I see no reason why any citizen needs automatic rifles, uzi's, etc, I really do understand why some would want a hunting rifle or a small handgun. And I think that kids who live in a household with guns, are probably better off if they have some regular exposure to the guns, so they are taught how to use it safely and also taught never to touch it without adult permission and presence.

Perhaps by having such extreme ideas about gun safety, that cover one end of the spectrum to another, we have inadvertently made guns a into a more fascinating object as opposed to a run of the mill household item.

Aside from the pretty pistol that was by my mom's bed, I barely noticed the other guns. They were as run of the mill as the vacuum cleaner or blender. I was never interested in them.

Most kids I grew up with considered guns as a tool for hunting, which in my childhood town, was a primary way that people fed their families much of the time. They weren't ever looked at as a toy. Hunting was not really glorified as a form of entertainment, but as a form of providing for the family.

Now we have made guns such a thing, that I think kids have an increased fascination with them. Perhaps our good intentions have backfired?

I had a similar experience. I don't own guns, hate them and would never have one, but as a kid growing up, my dad actually had a side business of restoring antique guns. Our house always had guns, mostly old and often not functional anymore, but he also had regular guns.

Now, "gun safety" just wasn't really a thing back then. My mom had what was called a "lady's pistol" with a fancy mother of pearl handle. It was never loaded because she wasn't really fond of guns either, but it was by her bedside. I will tell you that not a day went by, when I didn't go in and hold that gun. I was fascinated with it because it was so pretty. But i also knew it was not loaded.

On the other hand, with all the other guns, I never once touched them. All of my friends grew up with guns in their houses as well. Back then I never once heard of a kid accidentally shooting someone, or taking a gun to school.

As liberal as I am, I do find myself divided on the Gun issue. While I see no reason why any citizen needs automatic rifles, uzi's, etc, I really do understand why some would want a hunting rifle or a small handgun. And I think that kids who live in a household with guns, are probably better off if they have some regular exposure to the guns, so they are taught how to use it safely and also taught never to touch it without adult permission and presence.

Perhaps by having such extreme ideas about gun safety, that cover one end of the spectrum to another, we have inadvertently made guns a into a more fascinating object as opposed to a run of the mill household item.

Aside from the pretty pistol that was by my mom's bed, I barely noticed the other guns. They were as run of the mill as the vacuum cleaner or blender. I was never interested in them.

Most kids I grew up with considered guns as a tool for hunting, which in my childhood town, was a primary way that people fed their families much of the time. They weren't ever looked at as a toy. Hunting was not really glorified as a form of entertainment, but as a form of providing for the family.

Now we have made guns such a thing, that I think kids have an increased fascination with them. Perhaps our good intentions have backfired?

Agree!

I hope that's true. But at least 3 of the Keller kids are still Gotharding.

As far as the Kellers, isn't three out of eight so far? I know there's a couple still at home.

However, agree that with 19 kids in both Bates' and Duggar families, the odds that all of them will continue with ATI is very low. With that many kids, it's highly likely that at least one of them is not going to want the same lifestyle for their kids. It's probably going to be more than just one though.

As far as the Kellers, isn't three out of eight so far? I know there's a couple still at home.

However, agree that with 19 kids in both Bates' and Duggar families, the odds that all of them will continue with ATI is very low. With that many kids, it's highly likely that at least one of them is not going to want the same lifestyle for their kids. It's probably going to be more than just one though.

I think that the odds of kids staying with their upbringing probably has a lot to do with their experiences with it. This may seem like a generalization but from what I read a lot of bad things happen that get the person to leave. Another influencing factor would be finances. Sure the duggars and bates had to rely on donations at some point but they are pretty cushy now for the time being. Especially when you compare them to the Kellers who live in a trailer. I hear so much about how Anna got a lucky break by becoming a duggar and that she was probably had malnutrition before marrying into the "lap of luxury". There's no denying that television assistance makes their lifestyle feasible when other families don't have that experience.

I think that the odds of kids staying with their upbringing probably has a lot to do with their experiences with it. This may seem like a generalization but from what I read a lot of bad things happen that get the person to leave. Another influencing factor would be finances. Sure the duggars and bates had to rely on donations at some point but they are pretty cushy now for the time being. Especially when you compare them to the Kellers who live in a trailer. I hear so much about how Anna got a lucky break by becoming a duggar and that she was probably had malnutrition before marrying into the "lap of luxury". There's no denying that television assistance makes their lifestyle feasible when other families don't have that experience.

Personally, the only fundies I think look malnourished are our favorite family of free house-hunters, the Rodrigueses.

Anna was skinny, true, but to me she just looked like she hadn't filled out yet. She was only 20, and there are many people who have that "skinny teenage look" into their mid-20's. Like the Duggars and Bates, the Kellers may have had a poor diet of processed food and empty calories, but I think it looks like they had enough. Also, Pris and Suze, who still lived at home with Anna,were slightly more rounded. Honestly, I think Anna was just still a gangly teen, and there are anecdotes that suggest that the Kellers are a very athletic family, which may have contributed to her thinness.

While the Kellers do live in a manufactured home, they also have a very large lot and amenities like a tennis/basketball court. Where I am from, manufactured homes are common in rural/remote areas due to the cost of building a home vs the value of the area. Many are quite nice! One of the sons-in-law once posted something after the Josh/Anna wedding that said that TLC made the Keller's home look shabbier than it was due to the shots they chose. I'm not saying the Kellers are rolling in bucks, but the son in law's post said that their living situation is decent and far nicer than what TLC showed.

Yeah, I don't get the " Anna was malnourished thing" . She looked like any of my daughters at that age. And they all ate plenty. She just still had a " jr." body. Heck, many women have that body type just naturally. A couple of my daughters are that thin still, and they have already had children and aren't particularly active etc. . I had that body type until I hit my thirties, even after having many children. Hit my thirties and boy did that change !

I think its probable that more families then you think have issues feeding their kids. Jill talked about having to hide in the bathroom with food when she was young.

Anna is definitely someone who had to grow into her looks. She's prettier now than when they got married, but Josh is the opposite, IMO.

While the Kellers arent rich, I think they are better off than they let on. They have flown to ARK and Anna and Pris's wedding werent so shabby. Of course, TLC could have compensated for them being on the show. Anna's brother wrote a long post to DWOP after the wedding saying they almost got kicked out of Anna and Josh's wedding for not signing a waiver.

I also cannot see all of the 38 kids between Bates and Duggar following the same path.It has shown with the Kellers and there are only 8.

I remember that episode too. I thought Jill was going yo slap her with the paint brush.

This!

I guess some people here do not have any friends, family, or coworkers whose religious, political, or moral views vary from theirs in the slightest.

:worship: :wtf:

By fundies, you mean people who want to push Fundamentalist Christian Patriarchy on everyone. There is no redeeming value in that no matter how super sweet and kind they appear. That is nothing more than pretty wrapping paper disguising an ugly package.

Archived