IGNORED

Trans Teen Jazz Jennings To Star In TLC Show!

FloraDoraDolly

Oh yeah. I can totally see the Duggars absolutely freaking out. I really hope some of the leghumpers watch Jazz's show. I've seen some videos she's made. She seems like quite a lovely girl. It would be great if some of the leghumpers learned something for once.... A girl can dream.

I just hope TLC doesn't screw it up like they do everything/everyone else. But Jazz seems amazing and I thing it can be very enlightening, if TLC doesn't screw it up.

Edit: riffles

I've seen a few stories about Jazz & her family. They r really supportive of her. & I agree I hope TLC dosen't mess it up.

I hope the Duggars watch it! Surely that would challenge their belief that trans women are "men, yes I said men!" but I doubt they'll be allowed to see the show.

Because Jazz is so young I have some mixed feelings about this that I can't exactly articulate, but it is great to see more trans people in the media.

There will be some talk about how, "especially now", we must fight to maintain Christian values, and that is why our kids don't watch television, etc. etc. etc.

I have a big problem with kids being on reality TV for any reason.

I am amused at the concept of Duggar viewers being bombarded with these commercials though. Much more amusing than Little Couple or Sister Wives ads.

At least Jazz's parents didn't try conversion therapy and she is on hormone blockers to delay puberty, so if she changes her mind. The hormone blockers stop and puberty stops.

Yay, Jazz! And let's see you robocall your way out of this one, Michelle.

I don't think kids should be on reality TV at all, but starring at 14 years old is a whole new level.

What kind of parents would allow this for any kid? God,just thinking of my 14 year old drama. :shock:

But, yea, I hope they run the ads back to back to back on the Duggars.

Yay, Jazz! And let's see you robocall your way out of this one, Michelle.

This. I would love to see the Duggars respond to this or Jazz and her family call out the Duggars. But Jazz and/or her family might not to do because of TLC.

I don't Boob and Mullet and the remaining Duggars at the TTH watch other TLC shows. I don't think the family has cable or satelittle. They said in an interview years ago that TLC provides them with the DVD of episodes. It is known that Smuggar and SmugAnna have cable. Those two are probably fuming over this.

I first learned about Jazz in her first documentary that was filmed when she was about 5. It is an amazing story of love and I will be interested to watch the episodes if the are available online.

I think it's great that there's now a show about living as a trans person. However, I think it should follow an adult and not a minor. It doesn't seem right to put a kid's most personal developmental issues out there for the world to pick apart/tear down, even if the show was Jazz's idea. Famous on Youtube is very different from TLC star.

Bottom line: I'd love to see a show about her, but only after she's graduated from college, has a job, and is in a less vulnerable period of her life. I cannot fathom that a 14-year-old would have a full understanding of the lack of privacy and media intrusion that comes with being a reality star.

All of the comments in this thread have given me pause. I don’t have the same negative feelings as the others on reality show participants. Not because I'm for them, I just never thought about it much. Most of the time I agree with the majority of FJ posters, which makes me think I need to do some thinking abut this topic. :think:

ETA I was brought up in the theater so performing as a child was the ‘norm’ and I’m happy with it and want the same for my children to some extent. :shrug:

I think there's a big difference between performing in theater and being in a reality show where your entire life becomes open to public scrutiny. Just look at the amount of nitpicking done here at FJ about even the minor children in the Duggar family, and I'd like to think this site is better than others.

Personally I don't think reality shows are good even for adults. The Duggars are fairly unusual in that they have been on tv for years and not had their marriage break up and family fall apart.

I feel like it would be potentially worse for trans kids to be in the media given the type of vitriol spewed about trans women. (Remember Leelah Alcorn? The other day I stumbled upon a website proclaiming that "Joshua Alcorn was a coward" along with a lot of other very ugly comments. Sad as it is to say, though, at least she will never see them.) Because of that I do question the choices Jazz's parents have been making in exposing her to the media.

On the other hand, I do see the value of telling the stories of trans kids, and maybe that's what her parents are considering.

I am also very very hesitant about this. Her parents seem supportive and protective, but this sort of thing could easily cross the line to exploitative. This girl probably already deals with a ton of harassment and this is just going to open the door to more. I see comments about how people want to see them get in a fight with the Duggars but at what cost?

I'm waiting for Mr. &/or Mrs. Smuggar or Mr. &/or Mrs. Benessa to go on social media and say something derogatory. If Jazz Jennings freaks them out, they should meet Buck Angel. :whistle:

Jazz does have a youtube channel (which I'm sure gets assholes commenting) and has talked about what she'd say to people who aren't supportive. Both she and her mom have addressed that in interviews quite nicely. I really really really like her and am super excited to see what the show looks like. I am hoping that they set firm boundaries with TLC.

Jazz has been an activist for years and is quite media savvy. The Jennings family will probably be OK if the show just runs for one summer and if it's more like a multi-part documentary than a typical reality show. But I hope they didn't get locked into an extensive contract like the Dance Moms did.

This isn't community theater or your own YouTube channel. This is national reality TV. It's bad enough when you're one of 25 Duggars, but when you're the star it's all about your drama.

I guess this show could be all happy happy joy like Little Couple, but somehow I imagine a lot of crying, like Sister Wives.

The whole thing feels exploitative of a teenager in a really tough spot, medically, being 14, and all that. I'd feel a lot better about this if she weren't so young.

Has anybody heard about this?

http:// mic.com/articles/112748/ this-transgender-teen-activist-just-landed-her-own-tv-show?utm_source=policymicTBLR&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=social

If you don't want to click, Jazz Jennings is apparently getting a show on TLC. If you didn't notice from the link, she is also a transkid. I wonder how Boob and Michelle feel? Normally I wouldn't care what transphobes think of us (mostly because we already know, lol) but I kind of like the idea of the Duggars being forced to quietly live with it. :nenner: Would they even find out necessarily? I hope they don't say anything publicly, even if it were "veiled." Jazz will have enough to deal with and I hope she doesn't have to face any crap from them.

They don't care, they will just play ignorant.

Long Island Medium has been on TLC for years. That show certainly conflicts with their beliefs.

Archived