IGNORED

Duggar Research Paper

zadie

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh god.

I am finally working on my project and this thread is going to serve as a dumping ground for all my reactions.

This disgusting thing is apparently a Gothard lesson on how to deal with and prevent child abuse.

Brace yourselves.

http://www.recoveringgrace.org/media/Le ... amily1.pdf

That was horrific. I honestly didn't read the whole thing, only made it through the first few paragraphs. I noticed the Modesty in the Home part and remembered M saying that (in regards to modesty) they tell the kids, "when you go to the bathroom, make sure you lock the door so you don't have anyone walk in on you." Clearly, they are concerned that siblings seeing opposite gender parts is tempting. I'm totally sickened.

My university's library doesn't have any of the Duggars' books. Apparently there are Duggars in the sciences, because there are several books and articles about agriculture and disease by authors with the Duggar name.

Maybe the public library...

(I have almost TWO WHOLE WEEKS after I finish my final papers for the semester and summer term 1 begins, if I can find something fluffy to read...)

Hey guys I need some help!

I was researching the Roe V. Wade t shirt situation and I am a bit confused. The articles I find make it sound like the shirt appeared on the show first uncensored, and then was censored after. Does anyone know which episode the shirt first appeared uncensored?

I've seen the group pic of all the Duggars in the shirts, but idk if that was in the episode or just on one of their social media pages.

I am unsure of the exact episode but I know that you can see the shirts clearly in the episode when the family is clearing up StonyBrook prior to Jill moving in. I remember John and Joe were talking about courting and were hit with a carpet from upstairs in that one, LOL. Recently, the episode reaired on TLC during the day and I noticed that any shots with the boys and the shirts was removed; I think Jason was wearing it in this one...this episode was from the last season that was in the fall.

Another clue that you have too many kids...when your religious mission is the home and everything related, and after 30+ years of marriage, you still do not have any cooking skills.

Apparently so bad that she cooked the oven manual. "Hey Honey, tonight for dinner we're having INSTRUCTIONS!"

I am unsure of the exact episode but I know that you can see the shirts clearly in the episode when the family is clearing up StonyBrook prior to Jill moving in. I remember John and Joe were talking about courting and were hit with a carpet from upstairs in that one, LOL. Recently, the episode reaired on TLC during the day and I noticed that any shots with the boys and the shirts was removed; I think Jason was wearing it in this one...this episode was from the last season that was in the fall.

OOOOOHHHHH. That clears it up!

I thought the shirts were shown clearly in a different episode, and then in another one edited out. But the episode you're talking about is the same one in the article. Clearly what it meant was that the shirts were shown clearly the FIRST time and then edited later.

I kind of wish some more...dare I say it intelligent people wrote about the Duggars. Most of these articles are well meaning but so hard to get through lol. Soooo many little writing mistakes that affect the overall quality of the article.

Apparently so bad that she cooked the oven manual. "Hey Honey, tonight for dinner we're having INSTRUCTIONS!"

HAHAHAAH I snorted out loud at that one.

God the Duggars are ridiculous. I've read so much about the values of their religion and boy to the Duggar girls fall short.

They're ONLY goal in life is supposed to be different types of housework and having children. Yet all the girls seem to be subpar in all the housework they attempt except Jana. And then Boob and Michelle go on and on and on and on about how good their kids are at stuff. *rolls eyes*

I wonder if maybe that's the real reason Jana isn't courting? They want to save her for a higher up IBPL husband? Ben and Derrick aren't even in their religion really. Maybe that's how the girls got away with marrying them. Boob and Michelle know an actually IBPL husband will be disappointed lol.

(This is totally a joke. I know it's because Boob doesn't want to give up control)

Like when Jill was cooking for Derrick! Her mother apparently spent YEARS cooking them nothing but rice and Jill can't figure out how boxed rice works????? With CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS ON THE BACK OF THE BOX????

Also the in the same episode when she read the recipe and it said "x cup of onions, finely chopped" and she made giant scared eyes. Wth was that about????

Hell, I barely cook, cause I still live with my parents and can't be bothered. But I HAVE cooked recipes I'm unfamiliar with before and as long as you can read and understand the directions you will be fine. Finely chopped onions seems perfectly clear to me.

I think it's telling that Jana seemed relatively calm about the process, if a little annoyed with Jill's manic state and the fact that she can't know if she made it right because she hasn't tried it before.

Ugh another random yet annoying fact about them I learned, they gave the twins the same middle name.

Idk why but that irritates me beyond belief.

Like when Jill was cooking for Derrick! Her mother apparently spent YEARS cooking them nothing but rice and Jill can't figure out how boxed rice works????? With CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS ON THE BACK OF THE BOX????

Also the in the same episode when she read the recipe and it said "x cup of onions, finely chopped" and she made giant scared eyes. Wth was that about????

Hell, I barely cook, cause I still live with my parents and can't be bothered. But I HAVE cooked recipes I'm unfamiliar with before and as long as you can read and understand the directions you will be fine. Finely chopped onions seems perfectly clear to me.

I think it's telling that Jana seemed relatively calm about the process, if a little annoyed with Jill's manic state and the fact that she can't know if she made it right because she hasn't tried it before.

Jana is over the bullshit.

Hahahahaha that story about Anderson's sermon about needing to kill all the gays to get rid of AIDS showed up on my Fb feed! That's the first time anything related to these people has shown up in my Fb.

Ugh another random yet annoying fact about them I learned, they gave the twins the same middle name.

Idk why but that irritates me beyond belief.

Our neighbors gave their three children their own middle names.

Male child: First name, Dad's name for middle name

(2) Female children: First names, (different) Mom's name for middle name.

Thank God they only had three. AND the oldest was a girl and they named her first name the female version of Dad's name!

OOOOOHHHHH. That clears it up!

I thought the shirts were shown clearly in a different episode, and then in another one edited out. But the episode you're talking about is the same one in the article. Clearly what it meant was that the shirts were shown clearly the FIRST time and then edited later.

I kind of wish some more...dare I say it intelligent people wrote about the Duggars. Most of these articles are well meaning but so hard to get through lol. Soooo many little writing mistakes that affect the overall quality of the article.

Ahhh, gotcha! Yes, I remember watching the episode and being very surprised that the shirts were so visible because we know TLC loves blocking out their views on topics like abortion. I think what tends to happen is people comment on certain things during an episode, then when the episode reairs, anything that was controversial is suddenly gone and replaced. I seem to remember the shirts being blurred one time, then last time, they were just gone. Freaking TLC.

LOL yeah articles about them are painful to comprehend sometimes, it's like fundies themselves write them.

My presentation is tomorrow and I still have loads of work to do. Does it count as procrastinating if instead of doing work I'm watching the birth episode???

HAHAHA I HAVE FINISHED MY PRESENTATION!!!

Next week the full paper is due but I'm glad to have part of this project done! Thanks for your help and just existing so I could learn all about the horrors of the Duggars in the first place.

Email Pickles and pretend you're Radar or People. She'll probly write your paper for you *snicker*

My university's library doesn't have any of the Duggars' books. Apparently there are Duggars in the sciences, because there are several books and articles about agriculture and disease by authors with the Duggar name.

Maybe the public library...

(I have almost TWO WHOLE WEEKS after I finish my final papers for the semester and summer term 1 begins, if I can find something fluffy to read...)

I noticed the same thing at my university library -- SOME Duggar out there obtained some higher education. Our library does have an agreement with the public library, though, so often books the university doesn't have are available through the public library. Flag down a librarian and ask if they have an exchange program. Ours works incredibly quickly to get students what they need. Also, librarians are a little magical at acquiring books. They might be able to help you find even more useful material (as if you need it at this point in your writing, but you know, education is important :D ).

I noticed the same thing at my university library -- SOME Duggar out there obtained some higher education. Our library does have an agreement with the public library, though, so often books the university doesn't have are available through the public library. Flag down a librarian and ask if they have an exchange program. Ours works incredibly quickly to get students what they need. Also, librarians are a little magical at acquiring books. They might be able to help you find even more useful material (as if you need it at this point in your writing, but you know, education is important :D ).

Oh, I'm not the person who's writing the paper about Duggars. :) I'm just looking for a mental breather.

And there's a public library a ten minute walk from my usual area on campus, so it's not a problem.

Oh, I'm not the person who's writing the paper about Duggars. :) I'm just looking for a mental breather.

And there's a public library a ten minute walk from my usual area on campus, so it's not a problem.

Oy. That's what I get for reading through various FJ pages while working at the same time. Multitasking is never as efficient as one would hope.

WorldCat, it's a beautiful thing <3

• 2 weeks later...
...Her mother apparently spent YEARS cooking them nothing but rice and Jill can't figure out how boxed rice works?????

and the "rice" myth get morphed and exaggerated yet again!

Never has is been said that they had rice constantly growing up.

Archived