IGNORED

Duggar Research Paper

zadie

Hi guys!

I am taking a communications course called The Ethics of Image Making, and for my final project I'm considering doing 19KAC. But I might need the help of you wonderful people.

I do not want you to do research for me or anything. I just might need help with knowing if sources are available for certain bits of information, or if I should save my time.

Example: The rice comment! Does anyone know what the source for this was, and if it has been removed? I tried googling it but it's not an easy thing to google and accurate results for.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wrote a story about them a few years ago and what really helped me was to go back and read/watch old interviews.

Also look up Gothard

Yeah my project is going to focus on the hard facts of their beliefs and religion and how tlc portrays them. Right now what seems the hardest part is finding more concrete references to their financial situation before the show. That's why I was hoping to know the source of the rice anecdote.

As far as I know it is a quote from their first book.

Looking up old interviews they gave, especially to "Christian Media" should help getting more unfiltered info "from the horses mouth"

Good luck!

I am sure you school has Lexus Nexus or some access to achived newspapers. I would look for news items from local arkansas papers from the time that Jim Bob was an elected official or running for office. I am not sure what the rice comment is, but news items from his political days seems like a good way to get info from pre-show.

Okay now, someone scoop! What is that rice comment all about? Please? I can't handle the excitement. The Duggar section is just gettng crazier and crazier! :dance:

Okay now, someone scoop! What is that rice comment all about? Please? I can't handle the excitement. The Duggar section is just gettng crazier and crazier! :dance:

Apparently, Michelle used to feed the whole fam just rice because they couldn't afford anything else. This was pre-TLC (obviously). I don't know where the comment came from, I've just read it on here.

Aaaaaaah, the "three rice menu".

Researcher, get a bucket ready.

The 3 course rice menu consisted of:

- rice with melted margarine ("butter" in Duggarspeak) and store bought Vegeta ("herbs..")

- rice with cooked chicken blended with milk, as a rationed topping

- and rice with sugar and canned fruits

I wonder how they all haven't lost their teeth.

wait, is that seriously a rice and chicken smoothie? I am gagging.

No wonder Jill used to hoard her food in the bathroom.

When I say this topic I thought "Oh, like any Duggarling is every going write a research paper." :lol:

[Although I hope that Joe Duggar is now having to do that at Crown College]

artdecades that does sound like a good plan.

LOL a Duggar writing a research paper. They would never believe you cannot end a paragraph with "sooo yeah!"

Also imagine them learning it is not okay to repeat the same adjectives over and over.

Do you think any of them have seen a Thesauras?

Fuck that rice menu sounds awful. And I love rice.

Maybe you should see if people have old tapes they're willing to mail you or make copies of. The episodes available now seem to have been sanitised.

Fuck that rice menu sounds awful. And I love rice.

See, rice is like potatoes or pasta, inexpensive, forgiving, moldable, you can turn them from the simplest side dish to fancy stuff. And what do they do? They defile rice. If you are on a low budget, you can do so much with rice, stir-fry it asian style with veggies and eggs, it's filling and tasty but no. Michelle blended cooked meat with milk and poured it over it. And the margarine and vegeta stuff... :ew:

I swear Michelle talked about blanket training in one of the earliest shows or perhaps on one of the first specials. I distinctly remember hearing her talk about putting the child on a blanket, then "correcting" them if they tried to get off, and I think even if the baby interrupted... all with that "Your child wants to please you"... crap going on.

Perhaps you could find some of that.

Blanket Training was discussed in detail in the first book. She mentioned that when she would go places and bring the kids, others would marvel at how she could just put them on a blanket and they would stay put so well behaved.

It's been a while since I've gone through the books, but I think a lot of the info came from those.

Also, webarchive is your friend.

I swear Michelle talked about blanket training in one of the earliest shows or perhaps on one of the first specials. I distinctly remember hearing her talk about putting the child on a blanket, then "correcting" them if they tried to get off, and I think even if the baby interrupted... all with that "Your child wants to please you"... crap going on.

Perhaps you could find some of that.

I think she mentioned it in the 14 kids special but conveniently left out the part where she beats babies with rulers.

If I remember right, the first book had a lot of information. I do remember reading about blanket training with rulers if I'm correct and info about the first miscarriage and life pre-TLC is there as well. There might be some old unedited episodes on Youtube still. Try duggarhayesfan and see if that channel is still up for some of the early episodes.

I think she mentioned it in the 14 kids special but conveniently left out the part where she beats babies with rulers.

which babies did she beat ?

which babies did she beat ?

From what I remember the 14 Kids special probably all of them at one or another. From Jackson on down probably not so much, thanks to the TLC cameras.

Aaaaaaah, the "three rice menu".

Researcher, get a bucket ready.

The 3 course rice menu consisted of:

- rice with melted margarine ("butter" in Duggarspeak) and store bought Vegeta ("herbs..")

- rice with cooked chicken blended with milk, as a rationed topping

- and rice with sugar and canned fruits

I wonder how they all haven't lost their teeth.

Oh my god! I am ridiculously low on the moneys at the moment (Uni's just back so all of it went on textbooks and the like.) But I am not eating that badly.Also why were they eating rice with sugar and canned fruits when they could have been making porridge? It's just as cheap and easy to make.

['s just back so all of it went on textbooks and the like.) But I am not eating that badly.Also why were they eating rice with sugar and canned fruits when they could have been making porridge? It's just as cheap and easy to make.
cause the cook sucks and knows jack about nutrition

Not even now, that they have money to burn did they bother to learn anything about cooking, they eat the same old crap except in larger quantities. Yes, because, larger quantities of pure nutritionless crap sooo makes up for the nutrients and vitamins.

I'm always fascinated when these fundie women claim that a woman is made to be a housewife and spend their lives in the kitchen, and they cannot cook to save their lives. These "housewives" don't cook, let the kids do the laundry and the cleaning, and they don't even diaper the smallest kids, since the oldest ones should be doing it without reminding them to. The "homemaking" womenfolks don't do anything that resembles homemaking, and the "providers" make sure they never have a proper job. Ridiculous.

Many poor countries where they have to feed many mouths on a low budget, has extremely good cuisine, see the Balkan area, India, South America or the Caribbean. They never bothered to collect recipes with cheap ingredients such as potatoes, cabbage, rice, bean that can be prepared in huge quantities.

The second book is where she says how she loves Roy Lessin, the man who promotes beating children. Her favorite book is written by him "How to be the parents of happy and obedient children".

While looking for this, I found the laundry room breakdown story. I shall transcribe it now as I avoid doing real work in my life. (And bc I know others were looking for it in another thread but I have no idea which one)

From "A Love That Multiplies", pages 215-217

It is exhausting being a mom, whether you have one child or nineteen. Long ago I realized I simply couldn't do it on my own. One night - actually, in the middle of the night, when I was still up, folding laundry - feelings of weariness flooded over me. That was back in time when we had seven kids, and doing laundry by myself was a round-the-clock job. So, whenever I was up feeding a baby during the night, I was also doing laundry. I knew if I didn't stay caught up, we wouldn't have clean underwear for the potty-trainers the next day.

That night I stood in that laundry room crying. Lord, You must have the wrong person here! I silently prayed. I simply can't do this. I'm not capable; I feel so overwhelmed and inadequate. I'm so grateful for these precious gifts You have give me, but, Father, I need Your help!

My cry was like that of a helpless baby: the only way that baby's going to be helped is if a loving parent comes to meet its needs.

That night I felt God saying to my heart in a soft, clear voice, Michelle, it's easy to praise Me when things are going great - when the house is neat, the dishes are clean, the laundry's done, and your children are healthy and behaving themselves - but are you willing to praise Me right now, when it's not easy?

Immediately to my mind came these words from Scripture: "Offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually" (Hebrews 13:15).

I said, "Father, I love You, and I'm going to praise You even when I don't feel like it. With You, I am capable; without You, I am nothing. I desperately need You." Then, through my tears, I softly began to sing, "The joy of the Lord is my strength. The joy of the Lord is my strength."

As I sang, a release came over my heart as if a burden had been lifted. I finished the laundry around 2 a.m. and went to bed.

Shortly after the laundry-room experience, my little ones were taking piano lessons at the home of an older woman we called Nana. I was sitting there drifting off to sleep while listening to their lessons when Nana asked me, "Are you okay, Michelle?"

I answered, "Yes, I'm fine. I was just up late last night doing laundry."

Nana's face seemed to light up. "Laundry? Do you need help doing laundry? I love to do laundry!"

The idea had never occurred to me. Have someone help with you laundry? Amazed, I told Nana, "Well, sure, I could use some help."

The next Saturday, Nana came to out house and said, "Just have the kids carry all the dirty laundry to the laundry room, and I'll do it."

Later that day, when she was all finished, I was so touched by the gift she had given me, I cried again!

Nana said, "It's a joy for me. I love doing laundry."

God sent His angel Nana to out home twice a week for many years. What a powerful lesson it was for me to remember the tGod's strength is "made perfect" in my weakness - and to realize I didn't have to understand how He would help me; I just had to cry out in humility and believe He would. My job was, and is, to keep praising the Lord, even when I don't feel like it.

Again, I know this is from another thread elsewhere, but I mentioned at some point that after engagement the children are allowed private phone conversations but I couldn't find any evidence of this. I just found it in the book since I'm now looking through it again. And it may be helpful in some way.

I seriously recommend reading their books. They give a lot of info and bc they're written for morons - seriously, they are - the books are incredibly easy to read. I got through the almost 300 page book in a few hours. And I had a one year old and a two and half year old when I got it.

From "A Love That Multiples" page 268

Josh purchased a pink cell phone for Anna upon their engagement, and they were allowed to talk without siblings listening in during their many conversations from June until their wedding October.

I'm only now realizing that glaring mistake. Josh and Anna were married in September. This book came out in 2011. They were writing it during Anna's pregnancy with Mike bc there are references to it in the book. How do you fuck up that badly?? Maybe J'chelle really did write those Babble articles and misspell her own children's names. She certainly couldn't remember when her eldest son - the first one to get married by nearly six years - got married.

Archived