IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Part 10

happy atheist

Ok, everyone disagrees with me about a five year old in a stroller and ClaraOswin even mentions nine year olds in strollers at Disneyland. I am really curious now. Could this be a cultural thing? I have never seen an 5yo Aussie kid in a stroller. I mentioned above I'm a teacher so I know a lot of 5yos. They do get tired but they are too proud to doing something perceived as babyish. If a child turned up at school in a stroller we would be pulling the parent into the office and talking to them about letting their child grow up.

I don't know if it's a cultural thing but where I live, 4 and 5 year olds are never seen in strollers. I even taught pre-K and kindergarten and never saw kids in strollers even at that point. None of my nephews, neices, kids at the park... At malls, whatever, name it, they're walking and holding their parent's hand.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A five year old in a stroller would get a lot of side eye in the bay area, but I see it anyway (rarely). Less side eye at Disneyland or the airport. Kiddie leashes are widely considered barbaric, and I see those even less often than I see 5s in strollers. Though I did buy one after my two year old darted away from me at the supermarket. The one I bought was too small and it was the only size I could find. :D

I think it depends a lot on the parents and the kid. My kid is under the age of 2 so we still use a stroller. But he's already not loving it most of the time. He'd rather explore. But since he doesn't comprehend danger yet, it makes me nervous. We recently did buy a "leash" but of course he hates it too. We have just used it for back up basically...for when he let's go of our hands. So I, personally, cannot see myself using a stroller for a school-aged child.

I think when it comes to places like Disneyland...there are families that just don't want to slow down. And so they'd rather push their giant child than listen to the child whine about having to walk all day long.

I think it's a bit odd. I went to Disney World at age 6 and my cousin was 4 at the time. Neither of us used a stroller.

Too many kids are overweight and lazy these days. And I think a lot of it has to do with the parents just wanting to take the easy way out when their kid throws a fit.

I do NOT think it's the norm to have a school aged child in a stroller though...at least not yet. But it wouldn't surprise me if in another generation it becomes the case.

After looking at that picture and having 4 kids pretty much spaced equally as the Mkids, I could see where the mack just wanted to sit while waiting and climbed in next to michael. They thought it was a cute pic of all of them, snap snap, mack gets out when it's time to move on. Doesn't scream, I'm lazy and I've been in this stroller all day and my prego mommy has to push us.

My mom once had a woman lecture her for putting my brother in a stroller because he was too big for that. He was only about 18 months old, but was just a huge child. Apparently there are people with strong enough opinions about stroller use to confront a stranger about it, though!

But also, like someone already said, it depends on the situation.

We see just one snapshot. Maybe it's from the beginning from the trip, maybe they've already been traveling for hours. If the kids were tired already and it was busy at the airport, I understand them all being in the stroller.

And depends on the kid as well.

When my son went to school (starting at age 4) and I had to pick him up from school, he was so exhausted that I had to take him in the stroller to get home.

But when my daughter went, she would still have enough energy to make it three times the trip.

That stroller clearly isn't meant for Kynzie to be in there. She and Michael are all squished together in the back. At her age, I definitely wasn't in a stroller, but I would have totally hopped onto the baggage cart and had my parents push me around in the airport. NBD.

How about Europe? A lot of Aussies use a length of nylon which has Velcro at either end and attaches the child to the parent or stroller to stop them getting lost.

I don't see older kids in strollers here. We travel every year with planes and I don't see older kids in strollers there as well. (But also not that much luggage, holy shit!)

When I was that age (5 and smaller) we did hiking trips in Austria and I was secured with those climbing ropes and a special harness around my feet/waist.

But here 6 year old children also walk alone to school for 20 minutes or so. I know that in the US that can be enough to take your children away from you because of negligence. (At least that is what I heard from several people.) I also walked alone (without parents) to school at that age. And by age 10 I used public transport alone.

--> Have to end it here, my Mum calls for lunch or late breakfast. Whatever you call it. :lol:

now that would be hilarious - because she seems very tough and he seems very mild

I could be wrong about him - I don't know him that much

I've always thought JB thinks they are better than the bates. I also got the impression that Mullet isn't into them either. She always does the phoney uh huh glazed response when directly talking to Kelly. I do think they are in competition with each other - no matter how helpful they are to each other on tv. Just my opinion. If he could spin it to benefit the duggar brand though I bet he'd be all over it. I bet he'd push for a son to marry so that the Duggar name is kept.

Also for as phoney as I find j'chelle and ridiculous as I find jboob I take them over the bates any day. The bates, the parents, come across as incompetent, unthankful, phoney, and just plain stupid. I would think that they would have figured out how to gloss their brand like the duggars. I think Up Tv figured they could pull in viewers because of the baby, marriage, courting, etc. comparisons with the duggars. At least I find the duggars cringe worthy entertaining and infuriating where as I find the Bates really boring.

I don't see older kids in strollers here. We travel every year with planes and I don't see older kids in strollers there as well. (But also not that much luggage, holy shit!)

When I was that age (5 and smaller) we did hiking trips in Austria and I was secured with those climbing ropes and a special harness around my feet/waist.

But here 6 year old children also walk alone to school for 20 minutes or so. I know that in the US that can be enough to take your children away from you because of negligence. (At least that is what I heard from several people.) I also walked alone (without parents) to school at that age. And by age 10 I used public transport alone.

--> Have to end it here, my Mum calls for lunch or late breakfast. Whatever you call it. :lol:

To the bolded: Lol. Anna's going to have to learn to pack lighter if she wants to keep travelling when she has ten kids.

In regards to allowing kids to travel alone in the US being considered negligent and actionable, while I'm sure there is some validity to that, I think the perception is highly overblown. When I was 7-9 or so, growing up in Southern California in the '90s, my mother would frequently drop me off a 10 minutes' walk away from my school. My house would have been walkable, but required crossing a fairly busy, hilly two-lane road with no stop signs, which is probably why she dropped me off closer.

I know it is fairly common for late elementary school students onward to take the metro to their schools in DC. I believe there is a special cut-rate metro card for local students age 8-18 or so. I assume this holds true for other major cities with public transportation.

Yes to older kids in strollers in Disney- Why? because of the lack of available seats. Last Dec when we were in Disney for 3 days I wore a pedometer. Each day we logged 8 miles. Now, think about the fact that there are maybe 10 stationary seats for every 100 butts within the park, and you can see between the crowds and the lack of seating, a stroller is just a good idea for anyone under 8, IMO. It gives them a place to sit and a way to keep them from being trampled.

With three kids, all that luggage and only two parents to push/carry everything, I can understand why they would stick M1 in the stroller for ease of transport. Kind of brilliant actually. And I'm sure other passengers rushing around the airport would appreciate not having to meander around the children. I'm sure under other circumstances M1 would not be riding around in the stroller.

Holy cow, look at that pile of luggage. Seriously, unless Josh & Anna start hosting a J'Slave fulltime, I really think that we will see a lot less flying by the whole family once baby M4 arrives.

Based on the pop ups on 19KAC about laundry and packing, the whole Duggar clan believes in wearing articles of clothing for 5 minutes & then dropping it in the laundry bin. [yet they love to brag about their frugality] I wouldn't be surprised if the Big Sandy campground has a laundry room, but doing laundry on the road (by machine, or washing out undies in the sink) seems inconcievable to them.

Not necessarily true if they're getting paid to be there. Gothard's buddies are probably utterly desperate to keep the Duggars attending every year - it's the only "good" PR they've got left. I bet they pay for their travel, accommodations and food, plus a big paycheck.

well then that would explain why B & J are going - they will do anything for a paycheque

We had a ton of luggage for an 8-night trip and it was just me, my husband, and our toddler. We had 2 checked suitcases, 2 carry-on backpacks, one smaller wheeled carry-on, a car seat (which we attached to the airplane seat,) and a stroller (gate-checked.) Traveling with a child is oh-so-fun! Ha!

I disagree that kids under 8 need a stroller at a Disney park. If you go at a pace for a child, and take breaks often, it's not necessary for a school-ager. There are plenty of places to sit in the parks. Maybe not on benches but many tables and chairs outside of restaurants.

We had a ton of luggage for an 8-night trip and it was just me, my husband, and our toddler. We had 2 checked suitcases, 2 carry-on backpacks, one smaller wheeled carry-on, a car seat (which we attached to the airplane seat,) and a stroller (gate-checked.) Traveling with a child is oh-so-fun! Ha!

I disagree that kids under 8 need a stroller at a Disney park. If you go at a pace for a child, and take breaks often, it's not necessary for a school-ager. There are plenty of places to sit in the parks. Maybe not on benches but many tables and chairs outside of restaurants.

I'll agree to disagree.

Many times in Disney you can barely walk, let alone find an empty seat to sit.

Been going for over 50 years-

I honestly think this is just one of those times where Anna was picking her battles. The stroller is clearly designed to hold Mike and Marcus. Mackynzie had probably been walking for quite awhile, got tired, and asked mom if she could squeeze in with her brothers for a little while and rest. Anna herself was probably feeling a bit tired just from her pregnancy, plus any walking and stroller-pushing she was doing, so she probably allowed it just to forestall any whining on Mack's part. Totally understandable.

Holy cow, look at that pile of luggage. Seriously, unless Josh & Anna start hosting a J'Slave fulltime, I really think that we will see a lot less flying by the whole family once baby M4 arrives.

Based on the pop ups on 19KAC about laundry and packing, the whole Duggar clan believes in wearing articles of clothing for 5 minutes & then dropping it in the laundry bin. [yet they love to brag about their frugality] I wouldn't be surprised if the Big Sandy campground has a laundry room, but doing laundry on the road (by machine, or washing out undies in the sink) seems inconcievable to them.

In one of their early specials (when they take a road trip) they show them at a laundromat doing laundry on the road. This was pre tour bus and they had an old RV.

I don't know but I still sit on the floor/ground if no chair or something else is there. But I'm a bit weird so maybe normal people don't do that at age 24. :lol:

I don't know but I still sit on the floor/ground if no chair or something else is there. But I'm a bit weird so maybe normal people don't do that at age 24. :lol:

I do this regularly, and I'm headed toward my late thirties. ;)

I guess it's all that time I've spent in the hospital with sick family members over the years. Sometimes if you have to be in a hospital waiting area for 5 or more hours, or even in a private room, there's not always a chair to sit on, depending on crowding or where the furniture is located. I always pack a big bag that includes snacks, drinks, books and games, and yes, a floor cushion and pillow.

The floor's not my first choice, but I'm perfectly happy there when I have a pillow or two for cushioning.

I do this regularly, and I'm headed toward my late thirties. ;)

I guess it's all that time I've spent in the hospital with sick family members over the years. Sometimes if you have to be in a hospital waiting area for 5 or more hours, or even in a private room, there's not always a chair to sit on, depending on crowding or where the furniture is located. I always pack a big bag that includes snacks, drinks, books and games, and yes, a floor cushion and pillow.

The floor's not my first choice, but I'm perfectly happy there when I have a pillow or two for cushioning.

Beth Moore studies 5+ years ago (so mid-40's) for a few reasons I would sit up front on the floor during the video. (bible, workbook, notebook all too much to juggle. Plus people whispering to each other during the video was distracting and being up front on the floor got rid of visual distractions so I could pay attention.) Also when I was a children's ministry small group leader (aka Sunday School teacher) because it was effective at putting me on their level instead of being an authority figure.

I'll agree to disagree.

Many times in Disney you can barely walk, let alone find an empty seat to sit.

Been going for over 50 years-

So we're talking Disneyland, I assume. Even outside of restaurants? Maybe we just get lucky because we avoid Disney World and Disneyland like the plague during busy times. We've never had trouble finding places to sit down in the over 200 visits we've made to DLR. Never had trouble at WDW either though I've only been a handful of times in the last 30 years. As far as having trouble walking...the only times it's been that crowded for me was NYE one year and then when parades are finishing up.

I do it and I'm 35.

That stroller clearly isn't meant for Kynzie to be in there. She and Michael are all squished together in the back. At her age, I definitely wasn't in a stroller, but I would have totally hopped onto the baggage cart and had my parents push me around in the airport. NBD.

Yes. The thing I do see older kids riding in where I live is little red wagons, both old-timey and new-fangled:

oH3fsUFh.png

Archived