IGNORED

John Shrader: Killing Snakes & Grifting Appliances for Jesus

happy atheist

Could this rash potentially be a sign of something more serious?

He ultimately decided it was an allergic reaction to an additive in the "fake" lemon juice he'd been putting in his water bottles. I'm not sure if the lemon juice was actually serving a purpose, or he just preferred his water to taste like lemons. I hope it was the latter, because I enjoy it when his need to be a speshul sneauflayke comes back to bite him in the ass.

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the fake stuff is cheaper. Also probably easier to get a bottle vs. going out every few days for fresh lemons. I guess.

I'm thinking something like ReaLemon which comes in handy packets for 22oz water bottles. I've used it as an alternative to making lemonade with real lemons (lemons are expensive these days.)

Also shouldn't Esther be pregnant by now?

Apparently, John was hit by a mystery rash from head to toe (he did supply a wonderful picture, but I'll refrain from inflicting that on everyone).

Maybe his jock itch is spreading.

Apparently, John was hit by a mystery rash from head to toe (he did supply a wonderful picture, but I'll refrain from inflicting that on everyone). So what is he treating this rash with? Why essential oils, of course! Along with some apple cider vinegar and coconut oil...

John is also inflicting his brand of Christianity upon a young man named Jolis, who survived a beheading at the age of 5. There is a picture of Jolis' neck and a large scar. Awful :cry: Jolis is a friend of Arcade, and wishes to be baptised.

John is also busily trying to convert his neighbours son, Peter. Peter's father is a staunch Catholic, and his mother a Seventh Day Adventist. So John is busily showing him the right type of religion, probably to get another notch on his conversion belt. John says Peter is...

Also, he has posted this link http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/07/25/ ... w.facebook to the unveiling of a satanic statue in Detroit, but says before parents become outraged, they should look at themselves and the devil's presence in their own homes in the form of Disney movies, and even the Smurfs...with warlocks and wizardry and much evilness.

He's a very busy boy it would seem...

Sometimes I think a lot of these fundy problems would be solved if someone just explained to them the concept of fiction.

Yes, we know that to them the Bible is a completely literal rule book they're compelled to obey, but maybe that don't know that it doesn't apply to all books/stories? Explaining that JK Rowling wasn't attempting to compete with the gospels nor does she expect compulsory obedience to the laws set forth by the ministry of magic might help.

On a more serious note there is something about which I've always been curious...what is the long term affect on imagination for kids this sheltered from exposure to fiction? I was a voracious reader as a kid, I devoured all kinds of books but what I loved about great fiction is it would take you places in your head and just the joy of exploring different places and ideas in the safety of your own world (and if the book got scary you could always put it in the freezer. ™)

In good fiction you can't help but insert yourself into the story and as a kid that can help you figure out the important stuff in life. Thinking about what you'd do if you were in scenarios you'd never run into in your life helps you figure out who you are. Talking to kids about what they're reading is a great way for parents to get insight in how their kids view the world.

Heck, I posted this in another thread, but when I was a kid (mid-late grade school) my mom brought home a huge box of random books from a garage sale and there was a tween fiction book Joy Spartan and her Troubled Twin* which I now know was fundy (I didn't have a word for this religious pov at the time - Catholic family although coincidentally around this time my mom had gone fundy-lite.) That book had a profound impact on me because I was so troubled by what was ostensibly just a fluffy tween story with references of things being bad that they should avoid...and those were things I was allowed to do. And the girl having guilt over wanting to do things like go to the movies and having to be sorry for her thoughts because she should be grateful her parents loved her enough to protect her from worldly things...things my parents clearly didn't protect me from. I remember this weird feeling reading it knowing if I were in that story my family and I would be bad.

I asked my mom who assured me that we were fine...but what we believe vs what was professed in the book, etc. Sometimes even crappy fiction can provide openings for important conversations.

Even as an adult I find having a rich imagination wildly entertaining. If there is no exposure to these fictional worlds during the right developmental stages of childhood is it something they can acquire as adults? As a kid I was in trouble a lot and was always having some privilege taken away but never books - it would have been as unthinkable for my mom as grounding me from taking a bath, or eating. I don't get parents not seeing reading as vital to their kids development.

(*Found the first 19 pages for free online and it's way more fucked up than I remembered - that mom clearly had some issues going on.)

Hernameisbuffy wrote:

Sometimes I think a lot of these fundy problems would be solved if someone just explained to them the concept of fiction.

Yes, we know that to them the Bible is a completely literal rule book they're compelled to obey, but maybe that don't know that it doesn't apply to all books/stories? Explaining that JK Rowling wasn't attempting to compete with the gospels nor does she expect compulsory obedience to the laws set forth by the ministry of magic might help.

On a more serious note there is something about which I've always been curious...what is the long term affect on imagination for kids this sheltered from exposure to fiction?

Per what I've seen of the fundies I follow/see on my fakebook, they believe every sort of bizarre thing as being real, and an act of either the devil or God. They post videos of miracles that, to me, are clearly bullshit and they claim they are real. Everything they see is defined as either the work of the devil or of God, including things they know are not true (or, they refuse to admit they are not true, even when given proof of doctored and cut videos, etc.

Coming as I do from a childhood church that viewed demon possession in the bible as an ancient explanation for seizure disorders or mental illness, I am at a loss when they define things as people being possessed. I am also mostly bemused and never convinced when they post videos of ministers "raising someone from the dead". Oddly, none of their miracles or curses seem to have legitimate third party verification.

I forget how nutty some of them are, and how pissy they get when one offers a natural explanation for what they view as a given-- everything is either an act of God or Satan.

Hernameisbuffy wrote:

Per what I've seen of the fundies I follow/see on my fakebook, they believe every sort of bizarre thing as being real, and an act of either the devil or God. They post videos of miracles that, to me, are clearly bullshit and they claim they are real. Everything they see is defined as either the work of the devil or of God, including things they know are not true (or, they refuse to admit they are not true, even when given proof of doctored and cut videos, etc.

Coming as I do from a childhood church that viewed demon possession in the bible as an ancient explanation for seizure disorders or mental illness, I am at a loss when they define things as people being possessed. I am also mostly bemused and never convinced when they post videos of ministers "raising someone from the dead". Oddly, none of their miracles or curses seem to have legitimate third party verification.

I forget how nutty some of them are, and how pissy they get when one offers a natural explanation for what they view as a given-- everything is either an act of God or Satan.

I am clearly to lazy to be a fundy because just the thought of having to assess the deep meaning for every mundane thing is fucking exhausting. And since (to them) those stakes are so high...seriously, I can't even imagine the anxiety levels that go along with such a mindset. Kind of explains the hubris, though...just deciding that you're damn right about everything all the time would make life easier.

Apparently, John was hit by a mystery rash from head to toe

Maybe he has developed an allergy to printer's ink.

Maybe he has developed an allergy to printer's ink.

This implies that he's doing work :penguin-no:

So, do they blame Satan when presented with the "why doesn't God heal amputees" question? And, when things are Satan's fault, do they have an explanation for why Satan is stronger than God that day?

Or does nobody on their FB ever challenge them?

I'm thinking something like ReaLemon which comes in handy packets for 22oz water bottles. I've used it as an alternative to making lemonade with real lemons (lemons are expensive these days.)

Also shouldn't Esther be pregnant by now?

She should be. I expect announcement by Stephen's first birthday in September.

So, do they blame Satan when presented with the "why doesn't God heal amputees" question? And, when things are Satan's fault, do they have an explanation for why Satan is stronger than God that day?

Or does nobody on their FB ever challenge them?

ON the versions of the "why didn't go cure amputees" fall in the "not enough faith (after all they have videos of that guy raising the dead) or "not God's plan."

and God "allows" Satan to do things to people (didn't you read Job!?!?!) for his own glory. (I have started saying that people don't need Satan to do bad things, and that is heresy to some but accepted by others.)

Few get any challenges, because they block those who do (One "christian" group I was in for a while kicked out anyone who quoted from anything other than KJV bible, who suggested that KJV might not be the God's own words to English Speakers, who criticized any minister in even the smallest way. The leader of the group was convinced that drinking any amount of alcohol would send anyone to hell, including people who thought they were saved, because no drinking was proof one was not a ™. I was kicked out for asking how she justified working in a place (restaurant or convenience store or combination sort of place) that sold alcohol. She said she worked in the back, I said her salary was paid for in part by the sale of alcohol. She kicked me immediately.

I am let in one group in spite of not believing in a literal 6 day creation a few thousand years ago. I was threatened with kicking for saying I had read sermons that the holy spirit might be feminine or genderless. You'd have thought I was trying to use a tin can lid to castrate all the men in the discussion group....

I was told that I was a Muslim lover and not really a christian (and a nut) for saying that there was no legitimate way for the the US government to bulldoze all mosques and deport all Muslims--including, apparently, those who were born here and have lived here for generations. :?

When I pointed out that the video that had been going around for months that was portrayed as "car filled with people who had just robbed a church gets struck by lightening" was not just edited, but obviously edited and linked to the original video, I was told that I had no faith and that I was always trying to destroy miracles.... and eventually was told that even if it was edited, so what-- God could hit people with lightening if he wanted to do so. :angry-banghead:

When I said that the video of a magician walking on water on the Thames was sleight of hand, and gave his name etc, about 1/2-3/4 said "oh, it was a trick" while others still said "you have to watch out, most magicians are calling on satan to do their magic." :nenner:

Even the slightest doubt aimed the "resurrection" of a girl who was supposed to have been dead several days was also a kickable offense in one group I was in. and I've not heard from the person who was upset that I said I had doubts about "miraculous gems appearing" that the minister claimed were "so precious and perfect the jewelers couldn't put a price on them" (proof they were heaven sent). :doh:

The most common response I get to general conversation about things is that 1) you are not a christian. 2) you don't have the holy spirit 3) it is not my job to convince you that you are wrong--but you are wrong.

And the blocking.

Salex, I :worship: to your patience at even trying to explain anything to people like that.

And thank you for entertaining us with the details.

The June-July prayer letter. When it was posted John mentioned there would be a great surprise at the end. I was briefly horrified that he was going to announce another pregnancy for Esther, but luckily I was wrong.

John recaps the conversion of Jolis, and talks about his tracts again.

The death of bro. Phiri's sister allowed John an "amazing privilege" to go to the eastern province and preach. I would imagine the family would prefer their beloved relative had survived her illness, but whatever blesses John must be a good thing, right?

He actually mentions the plane! Vaguely. Apparently it needs prayer$ to get "off the ground". And here I thought it was in perfect condition already.

The "memorial fund" that Papa Shrader set up for Sarah actually provided enough money for John to buy another plot of land to build a church on :x Following that, he got another random donation for $5k, which will allow them to at least build a partial structure before the rainy season. So far he has only built a "baptistery" (funds raised by "tithes" from locals :angry-banghead: ) so they can quit with the kiddie pool.

post-418-14452000595038_thumb.jpg

That baptismal pool looks pretty iffy. IF it doesn't have a plumbed in drain of some kind, it is going to be nasty to clean.

Given that it has been at least a year, maybe 18 months or more since John flew a plane (as far as we know) and he had only had lessons, never flown on a weekly or daily basis, I'd hate to be flying with him on his first African flight, even if it wasn't in a plane that isnt' sky worthy now and who knows who the mechanic will be or if John will do the checklist before flying.

I thought he was getting a calling to Zimbabwe recently. Why buy land in Zambia? Or was that a back up plan?

I realize what I'm about to say is a very, very thin line in my own Christian faith, but it has bothered me for years.

The sound system has glitches before Sunday morning worship: "Satan doesn't want us to sing." (Singing can still be done without microphones.)

So and so just got fired from his/her job. "It wasn't God's will for me to work there any longer."

I don't like it when Christian's use/blame God and/or Satan for their own faults. Yes, I believe in original sin and Satan's role in that but I don't like it when people don't take responsibility for their own choices and blame the outcome on Satan or on God's will.

This is particularly annoying to me because, all my life, my dad could never hang on to a job. Although he never talked about why he left so many jobs, I imagine it is because he is a narcissist who is very hard to get along with--not a team player. In my childhood, I can remember him sitting the family down and explaining that "God's will" was for us to move, in the middle of a school year, to another city or state because God wanted Dad to have another job. This scenario repeated itself too many times. When people discover how many places I've lived in my life, they always assume my dad was in the military. Nope. Nothing that honorable. It would've made a huge difference in my life for my dad to have said, "Listen, I screwed up, made some bad choices, and no longer have a job. I need to find a new one and that means we'll have to move. I'm sorry and hope you'll forgive me. Let's pray for God to lead us in the direction He wants for us." What a great example that would have been on how to own up to mistakes and move on.

So, who do I send my payment to for this therapy session? ;)

I realize what I'm about to say is a very, very thin line in my own Christian faith, but it has bothered me for years.

The sound system has glitches before Sunday morning worship: "Satan doesn't want us to sing." (Singing can still be done without microphones.)

So and so just got fired from his/her job. "It wasn't God's will for me to work there any longer."

I don't like it when Christian's use/blame God and/or Satan for their own faults. Yes, I believe in original sin and Satan's role in that but I don't like it when people don't take responsibility for their own choices and blame the outcome on Satan or on God's will.

This is particularly annoying to me because, all my life, my dad could never hang on to a job. Although he never talked about why he left so many jobs, I imagine it is because he is a narcissist who is very hard to get along with--not a team player. In my childhood, I can remember him sitting the family down and explaining that "God's will" was for us to move, in the middle of a school year, to another city or state because God wanted Dad to have another job. This scenario repeated itself too many times. When people discover how many places I've lived in my life, they always assume my dad was in the military. Nope. Nothing that honorable. It would've made a huge difference in my life for my dad to have said, "Listen, I screwed up, made some bad choices, and no longer have a job. I need to find a new one and that means we'll have to move. I'm sorry and hope you'll forgive me. Let's pray for God to lead us in the direction He wants for us." What a great example that would have been on how to own up to mistakes and move on.

So, who do I send my payment to for this therapy session? ;)

That had to have really hard for you as a kid, not just the disruption and insecurity but I would imagine it's got to be scary to feel like so much in your life is completely beyond the control of you or your parents. I'm glad you were able to shake off that mindset, I know people of that mind and it seems really crippling.

That baptismal pool looks pretty iffy. IF it doesn't have a plumbed in drain of some kind, it is going to be nasty to clean.

Given that it has been at least a year, maybe 18 months or more since John flew a plane (as far as we know) and he had only had lessons, never flown on a weekly or daily basis, I'd hate to be flying with him on his first African flight, even if it wasn't in a plane that isnt' sky worthy now and who knows who the mechanic will be or if John will do the checklist before flying.

I thought he was getting a calling to Zimbabwe recently. Why buy land in Zambia? Or was that a back up plan?

John: Cleaning? *chuckles* Just throw some tea tree oil in there when you top it off with fresh water, it'll be fine. Sorry, I have to go now. Daddy said his church is sending me a case of Cheez-Its and microwave caramel corn, so I need to be at home to accept the delivery. :popcorn2:

My first thought when my ice cube maker miraculously healed itself and started making ice again after two years was "This is wasted on me. If I was a fundie I would believe that God healed my ice cube maker for some special reason or because he really wanted me to know his presence. Too bad I don't believe and I just have to accept it was just a weird thing that happened."

The June-July prayer letter. When it was posted John mentioned there would be a great surprise at the end. I was briefly horrified that he was going to announce another pregnancy for Esther, but luckily I was wrong.

John recaps the conversion of Jolis, and talks about his tracts again.

The death of bro. Phiri's sister allowed John an "amazing privilege" to go to the eastern province and preach. I would imagine the family would prefer their beloved relative had survived her illness, but whatever blesses John must be a good thing, right?

He actually mentions the plane! Vaguely. Apparently it needs prayer$ to get "off the ground". And here I thought it was in perfect condition already.

The "memorial fund" that Papa Shrader set up for Sarah actually provided enough money for John to buy another plot of land to build a church on :x Following that, he got another random donation for $5k, which will allow them to at least build a partial structure before the rainy season. So far he has only built a "baptistery" (funds raised by "tithes" from locals :angry-banghead: ) so they can quit with the kiddie pool.

Does John do all the weird formatting and highlighting? That's painful to read

Just had to go to Amazon and check out the Joy Spartan books! As soon as I saw they were from Moody Press it all came back. I received a cheery little story book from a Sunday School teacher years ago. I still have nightmares about the poor girl in the story who, although in a wheelchair, was a beacon of hope to all who knew her! Our church is very mainstream liberal but religious novels in the 60's were all cut from one cloth I guess. I am so grateful that no one ever censored my reading. And I had the good sense to know, that while I felt some guilt for not being as "good" as the girl in the story, I could live with it. Shraders, Duggars, etc. have a very unbalanced world view.

Today's post shares how John collected $50 at their church service, and another $10 "for missions" even though he HASN'T EVEN TAUGHT about giving yet! I'm guessing these attendees might have heard about offering from the Catholics or SDAs or whatever other form of heathen Christian John loves to hate on, but of course he isn't so quick to condemn when it means money in his pocket.

John probably dropped more money on the damn troopie than his entire church made last year combined, yet he still feels comfortable (even thrilled) to take money from them. He is truly a parasite.

I hate him. I had to stop following him on Facebook as I was so ragey after reading his stupid posts. What a waste of space.

The Rea family has arrived in Zambia only in the last week or so. Interesting that John started talking about the plane at the exact same time that David Rea arrived.

Archived